Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 06:03 PM
So I guess Randy Couture was tired of getting his ass kicked by the Iceman so now he is challenging Tim Sylvia in the heavyweight division. He's had a great career but he needs to retire.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:43 AM
Didn't Chuck only beat him once?

...and as far as Sylvia goes, Randy might be old, but he can throw down. Sylvia should be happy if he loses to Couture...because then it'd be Couture fighting against Cro Cop, not him

I dunno who'd win, Couture was right when he said that it seems like Sylvia fights not to lose, instead of fighting to win.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:50 AM
Randy lost to Chuck twice, both by knockout and supposedly the second one was so bad he had to retire. But you're right, it doesnt matter if he fights Sylvia for the belt or not because they're only holding onto it for Mirko anyways. Sylvia's not a great champ but I'm pretty sure Couture is washed up. The heavyweight division has been pretty weak for a few years.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:10 PM
That's probably why the welterweight, and light heavyweight divisions seems more focused upon.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Totally, the other divisions are much more competitive and filled with a wealth of better fighters. Having Sylvia as the champion just proves my point. Fedor and 90% of the people he has defeated in PRIDE would all crush Sylvia. Since Pedro Rizzo and Bas Rutten left they got nothin.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Sad, but pretty much true.

I'm a big fan of the UFC, K-1, King of the cage, PRIDE...pretty much anything with fighting, and I gotta say, when the bigger, better known fighters from PRIDE and K-1 end up in the UFC, things are gonna change....the Heaveyweight division will matter again.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Hopefully some other good fighters will see Mirko with that belt around his waste and no one to fight and decide to come over to UFC.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:07 PM
I kind of hate how fighters disappear off the face of the planet. Pete Williams anyone?
Old 01-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Pete Williams was good...I wonder how he'd compete with some of the newer fighters?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I think its a good idea that Randy came back. I think Randy was one of Chuck's toughest fights and would still be a number one contender in the light heavyweight division if he was going there. Its a good move, especially since all of the title fights recently in the LHW and HW division have all been rematches (exception with Monson and Sylvia). I want different matchups!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bourahioro
Pete Williams was good...I wonder how he'd compete with some of the newer fighters?
I'll never forget him kicking Mark Coleman in the forehead and watching his eyes go crossed. I looked him up and his last fight was in 2002 after a string of defeats in UFC. So maybe he lost his touch but he had some good fights against some good fighters.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
I don't think I saw that one... I'll have to check out youtube for it.

So...what do you think's gonna happen at UFC 67? I don't know much about the card, but I'm looking forward to seeing it February 3rd.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlI75eGjzds

Here ya go, its at about the 45 second mark. I have the DVD and its much better quality and you can literally see Coleman's eyes go crossed and he's out.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM
As far as the next PPV goes, it looks like they grabbed a couple scrubs to let Crocop and Rampage annihilate. I dont know much about Lutter but I dont think Silva's great so he could have a chance. I'm predicting a first round KO by Mirko lifting him into #1 contendership for the heavyweight belt. Not a matter of if, only a matter of when.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:16 AM
Okay...I went to UFC.com and got the stats for the three big fights on UFC 67:

Anderson Silva -vs- Travis Lutter
15-4-0 --------------------------------------------------------------------- 7-2-0

Quinton "Rampage" Jackson -vs- Marvin Eastman
25-6-0---------------------------------------------------------------------- 7-4-0

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic -vs- Eddy Sanchez
24-4-2 --------------------------------------------------------------------- 7-0-0

I've seen all of these guys fight, all are good fighters, though throwing someone like Eddy Sanchez against someone like Cro Cop is like throwing a kitten to a pitbull.

After seeing Rampage beat the shit out of Chuck Liddell, it's hard to say how this one will go with Marvin Eastman, Eastman's a good, strong fighter, but Rampage is very much a dominant sort, he's determined to win, and will do what it takes to get it done...Eastman won't win this one.

Anderson Silva's a tough opponant, but Lutter knows how to turn the tables on a fighter, and slide in a win..he'll feel out Silva, and take him out in the third.
Old 01-19-2007, 02:15 PM
For UFC 67, I'm just hoping that Cro Cop and Silva get the job done as quick as they should so we can see some undercard fights. Tyson Griffin, Melvin Guillard and Ryoto Machida are all fighting in undercard bouts.

Also looking forward to the post-match interview with Rampage. This guy is going to be huge soon.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:30 PM
2 weeks til UFC 67...predictions?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:48 AM
my predictions...

Mirko, Rampage, and Silvia are going to kill their opponents.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Mirko or Rampage end someones career. Its sort of a pointless card except to see those two demolish anything in their way.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:58 PM
Tito Ortiz says he and Dana White are going to have a boxing match...is Dana a fighter or is this just some joke? I also watched an interview with Frank Shamrock talking about fighting Dana and if he loses he'll fight in UFC for free and if Dana wins Chuck Liddel has to fight in Shamrocks "Strike Force" for free or something like that. I didnt know Frank was fighting for a different company, I thought he retired.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Dana white is a GREAT boxer... he'll out box tito.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
What's happened to Tito? He use to seem like the guy that would carry the company and now its Chuck Liddell. I wonder sometimes if Tito got lazy.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight81
I wouldnt be surprised if Mirko or Rampage end someones career. Its sort of a pointless card except to see those two demolish anything in their way.
It's funny...BOTH Mirko, and Rampage are notoriously dangerous fighters, and have destroyed some of the best fighters in the world...and they're fighting guys with like 9 fights to their names - these matches are to basically get to watch two guys a) get sent to the hospital, and b) score record breaking defeats.

Silvia's fight will take a little longer, but he'll come out on top.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkKnight81
Tito Ortiz says he and Dana White are going to have a boxing match...is Dana a fighter or is this just some joke? I also watched an interview with Frank Shamrock talking about fighting Dana and if he loses he'll fight in UFC for free and if Dana wins Chuck Liddel has to fight in Shamrocks "Strike Force" for free or something like that. I didnt know Frank was fighting for a different company, I thought he retired.
When the hell did this shit go down?!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I read the thing about Tito on his website and it sounds legit. I saw the Shamrock video on youtube. He mentions something about the bad payscale in UFC and thats why hes not fighting there. How much money can he really be making in a company called "Strike Force" if thats even the name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es9y61kSgF0
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
Frank Shamrock's an idiot.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:03 PM
Agreed. He walks around saying he's the greatest fighter of all time, and he's faced like 3 credible opponents in his career. He should spend more time training and fighting quality opponents and less time making videos for his myspace (which aren't even that funny to begin with)

As far as Tito and Dana boxing, it was written into Tito's contract when he came back last year that he and Dana would have a 3 round exhibition boxing match. Tito said in an interview a few days ago that it was going down on March 24. It was supposed to happen 5 or 10 days after the 3rd Shamrock fight, but if anything would have happened to Tito, he would have been medically suspended and not cleared to fight Chuck on the 30th.

I've also heard rumours though that the NSAC wouldn't sanction it due to the weight difference between Tito and Dana.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:59 PM
I was surprised to hear him criticizing Ken saying he's jealous that Frank has accomplished more than he ever could. The only thing I would say is that Frank beat Tito and Ken hasnt but I think its safe to say Ken in his prime could have beaten Tito. Lets take a look at some of Ken's career wins:
Funaki twice
Bas Rutten twice
Maurice Smith
Dan Severn
Kimo twice
a 36 minute draw with Royce Gracie!!!
a 33 minute draw with Oleg Taktarov...
And he couldnt beat a 11 years younger than him. Big deal, Ken has had a much better career than Frank probably will ever have. I like Frank and I'd like to see him fight more but he's stupid for saying Ken is jealous.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:59 AM
Frank *is* a good fighter....but after all the shit talking, can you imagine him deciding to join the UFC? I'm sure there's a lineup of dudes that'd love nothing more than to beat his ass. I guarantee his W/L record would be a completely different monster altogether if he were to join the UFC. As far as the Dana White thing....I don't think Dana could beat Tito, or even the other guy he's supposed to fight in order for Shamrock to join the UFC for free....but I like Dana White, and what he's done for MMA in general - fuck Frank Shamrock, that pompous diva douchebag motherfucker.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:17 AM
This is the best news I've heard in awhile!

UFC video games to be made by THQ, the makers of the WWE games!!

Its been a long time since weve seen a new edition of the Ultimate Fighting Championship in video game form, but that will be changing in the not-too-distant future, as the UFC has struck a deal with video game publisher THQ.

In a story first reported by entertainment trade journal Variety, THQ has signed a five-year contract with Zuffa to be the exclusive publisher of UFC video games through the end of 2011 for "all console and portable platforms, as well as wireless devices."

While no specific game platforms have been announced for the first UFC game from THQ, the primary platforms for UFC games in the future would seem likely to be the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, though modified versions of UFC games could also be released for the less powerful and younger-skewing Nintendo Wii.

Drastically altered versions of the games could also be released for portable systems such as the Nintendo DS or Sony PSP in order to maximize revenue and help offset the higher development costs of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games.

THQ is not a company that develops video games itself; THQ is a game publisher that hires game developers to create games. THQ funds and supervises the development of these games, and THQ is then responsible for marketing the finished products.

The quality of future UFC video games will be heavily dependent on which developer(s) THQ has contracted to develop the games. In an interview with IGN, THQ executive Kelly Flock refused to answer when he was asked to name the developer of the game.

THQ is also the publisher of WWE video games, and the fact that WWE and UFC games will now be released by the same game publisher has upset the management of WWE, which has seen its domestic pay-per-view buyrates collapse in the same year that the UFC's PPV buyrates skyrocketed.

In early 2005, the UFC started airing on the same cable network as WWE (Spike TV), and when WWE's contract with Spike TV came up for renewal later in 2005, Spike TV made the choice to break off all renewal negotiations with WWE, which then returned to USA Network for significantly lower rights fees than it had been receiving from Spike TV.

THQ's Flock said in an interview with Variety, "We see WWE as an entertainment brand, while UFC is a true sports brand." The WWE games that have been published by THQ had been fairly well received from a critical standpoint for years, but have received decidedly mixed reviews over the past few years.

THQ previously published "Pride FC" for the PlayStation 2, a game that is widely regarded as the best MMA game to date. As for UFC-branded video games, the first effort on the Sega Dreamcast was well-received, but the last several UFC games from publishers such as Crave Entertainment, TDK Mediactive, and Global Star Software (a brand of Take-Two Interactive) were almost universally panned by critics.

Video games based on MMA are inherently difficult to create due to the complexity of the sport and the fact that fights can end in any number of different ways, which makes it hard for developers to create an entertaining, but still true-to-life gameplay experience.

When asked by IGN about the degree of difficulty in such a project, Flock acknowledged, "We're well aware of this difficulty to made this game work out, especially the mechanics, and Zuffa, LLC was also aware of this when they picked us to publish their game."

THQ has been mum on the details regarding its first UFC game. The Variety and IGN articles said that the game would include online multi-player functionality (which is a given for any sports game) and would feature "current and former UFC fighters."

The specific fighter line-up could be a key factor, as previous UFC games were missing some notable fighters who wanted to be paid fees or royalties for their video game appearances in the same way that athletes in any other sport are paid when they appear in video games. In football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and other sports, this is handled through the Player's Association of each respective sport.

THQ's Flock also said that he envisions new releases once per year after the first UFC game has been released, as he said to IGN, "UFC lends itself to an annual update, so we expect to have annual iterations of the game with new features, updated and upgraded graphics and gameplay, the whole deal."

No titles or release dates have been announced, though the Variety article said that the first game would likely be released in late 2007 or in 2008.

However, given the fact that the deal between Zuffa and THQ was just signed in late 2006 and that a new gameplay engine is presumably being created for the game, a late 2007 release date would seem to be very unlikely. A one-year development cycle would be unusually short and seemingly rushed for the first generation of a new game franchise running on a new gameplay engine.

Beyond the core gameplay itself and the features that are standard for any sports or fighting game, fans of previous MMA video games will also be interested to know what innovations the game will offer in its "Season" or "Career" modes, how deep the simulation aspects of the game will be, and how many fighters the game will include. It's conceivable that the game could feature dozens of fighters, given the massive size of the UFC's real-life roster.

THQ's biggest motivation for signing a deal with the UFC is obvious. A top-selling video game can generate tens of millions of dollars in revenue or more, and the UFC's popularity has exploded over the past two years.

THQ's Flock said to IGN, "The popularity of the UFC has really kicked into gear. It's amazingly popular right now. We saw the numbers, how it was taking off, how our demographic was interested, and we felt like it was time to bring it back to the interactive arena. The response from people [who] know about it all think this is a great move."
Old 01-26-2007, 01:26 PM
I bought the first UFC game that came out for Dreamcast and it sucked. I dont doubt this will be any different. Honestly, there is no way to bring the sport into videogames and make it somewhat realistic. Its just too complicated.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:38 PM
THQ also screwed up big time with Smackdown vs. Raw 2007. The game has so many ridiculous flaws and the new control system can be extremely difficult to use.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Ahh well, I'll get it anyway - I've never played a UFC game, but it'd have to be better than the WWE games, and the fact that it's gonna be out for the next gen systems is all the more appealing to me.

in other news, I watched some old Rampage Jackson, and Bas Rutter fights last night....awesome stuff, some of it bare knuckles.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Anyone see the Herring fight last Thursday on UFC? that dude has to be embarrassed, he had no takedown defense, and may have landed a dozen shot, and not even heavy shots at that.

The Rashad/Salmon fight was awesome though, that was one vicious fucking snap kick that Salmon took to the head.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:50 AM
4 more days til UFC 67!

I'm stoked.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:50 PM
The classic fighter vs wrestler, happens all the time, but it's disappointing to see a fight go nowhere like that... and the most embarrassing part about this whole thing is that they gave this fight to Jake like he actually did something to win it.

it wasn't a wrestling match, it should have been a No Contest.

I blame Herring the most here, though. Don't get me wrong. I'm sure his wrestling coach rape him a new one.

Thats all in the past, its about CropCop and Rampage now... This shit's going to own...
Old 02-01-2007, 06:33 PM
you fuckin' know it!!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I found a great new webpage for MMA fans! it's like myspace, only exclusive to MMA fans, here's the link, check it out.

mymmaspace.com

And here's my MMApace:

Bourahioro's mymmaspace page

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by bourahioro; 02-03-2007 at 12:06 PM..
Old 02-04-2007, 06:58 AM
My predictions were spot on:

Rampage WON
Cro Cop WON
Silva won WON

Now for the stupid news: FUCKING TRAVIS LUTTER DIDN'T MAKE WEIGHT FOR HIS TITLE FIGHT MAKING THE BOUT NON TITLE.........not that it matters Silva still beat him, but it shows a complete lack of discipline for Lutter to have not cut enough weight for his ONE shot at this title.

Cro Cop made Sanchez look like a complete rookie, that was expected, and he won the fight in the first round.

Rampage won his fight in the second round...the fight was pretty even until the last 15 second of the fight, then Rampage opened up with a series of uppercuts, and finished Eastman off.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Predictions for UFC 68 anyone?