Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Sports
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Thiago Vs. Vera is the only fight I really care for on this card, I think Thiago will get an early TKO on Vera.

I want it to be time for UFC 126 already.

About DYNAMITE!!!, Overeem is a bad man.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:51 PM
The only fight I'm excited for is Guida/Gomi. It's not going to happen, but I hope Vera KO's Thiago Silva. That guy tries way too hard to be a badass (His biggest win is against freaking Jardine) and I still want to know what he was thinking during the third round of the Rashad Evans fight where he had Evans rocked and decided to clown him rather than finish him. I'm also rooting for Frankie Edgar although, I figure the fight will end up being Maynard dry humping Frankie for 25 minutes. Lightweight Champion Gray Maynard is going to suck. The only good thing to come from that is Frankie dropping to 145 and fighting Jose Aldo.

Bring on UFC 126. That is the most ridiculously stacked card since UFC 100.

Shinya Aoki got hilariously owned at the Dynamite show.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 01-01-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 AM
wow that was the most amazing comeback of all time, Frankie Edgar possibly just became my favorite fighter.

fuck dong hyun kim.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Overall, the card was rather tame. It definitely wasn't worth $60 on PPV. Luckily, I saw it free at a bar. But the Maynard/Edgar fight was pretty good. I don't think it was the best comeback of all time though... Antonio Silva was beaten down badly just weeks ago before he came back and Scott Smith has had 3 of the most dramatic turn arounds ever in this sport. I probably would agree if Frankie had beaten Gray. I mean if he had beat him the way Gray did for the first round. It was the most exciting fight to watch. I just hope UFC start putting on great cards again. They've been inconsistent the last few months and they know it, which is why I believe they swallowed up WEC which has consistently put on better cards with lesser known fighters.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I thought the card last night was pretty good. Guida was almost annoying throughout the first round against Gomi, but he made up for it by finishing him. I definitely concur with Frank the Tank about Thiago Silva, I cannot stand that guy because of his attitude and last night made it even worse. When he got up getting all in Vera's face at the end of the first round it made me want to smack him. Brian Stann became one of my new favorites, even though I like Leben. But Leben isn't going anywhere, he'll be back, and seeing Stann propel himself into the spotlight like that was cool. And for a main event that I was sure would suck, it turned out to be a pretty good fight, even with the draw. I thought the judges scored it right. Dana's now sayiing there will be an immediate rematch, instead of Pettis getting a shot like they'd planned, and I'm cool with that. If ever an immediate championship rematch was called for, it's in the case of a draw, I think.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:44 PM
Pin Cushion!

Is Dana Dane pushing any Juice Test? How far can Overeem drive into the Heavyweights, when he's a heavy, heavy Juice Gorilla. It's more than obvious that Cat can't hand in anything less than a hot urine. Either the UFC brass is gonna look the other way, or Overeem is scoping the web or the closet gym for some 'Masking Agents'. Stevie Wonder can see that Overeem's as dirty as Nate Diaz throws that 'Skunk Scowl' before a fight!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Overeem doesnt fight in the UFC and he doesnt do steroids or it wouldve been proven by now, Nick Diaz is the one that got in trouble for weed.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Herb West View Post
Is Dana Dane pushing any Juice Test? How far can Overeem drive into the Heavyweights, when he's a heavy, heavy Juice Gorilla. It's more than obvious that Cat can't hand in anything less than a hot urine. Either the UFC brass is gonna look the other way, or Overeem is scoping the web or the closet gym for some 'Masking Agents'. Stevie Wonder can see that Overeem's as dirty as Nate Diaz throws that 'Skunk Scowl' before a fight!
Overeem has always been big.

it's funny that a gimmick like yourself shows up now, but not at the time of Lesnar's days as champion.

Smoking pot doesn't enhance your performance as an athlete as does steroids, it slows you down.

It help helps to know what you're talking about before you enter a conversation, rather than listening to what the dumb mother fucking douche bag sitting next to you at the bar said.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 PM
So here it goes, Fool!

I really enjoy watching UFC, WEC (When it was a league), Strikeforce, just really enjoy watching the growed up sport, but by no means am I obsessed, this is my limit as far as talking about it on the comp. I boxed regular into my late teen years, but common sense is common sense, Overeem has always been big, that's like saying Brock Lesnar when he was in the WWF/WWE ran the ring completely natural, yeah, only Pro Bodybuilders shoot juice, it's illegal, you sound like a little kid in a schoolyard, with a baseball cap backwards, talking tough, saying "My Dad can beat your Dad", sounding all childish and moronic, coupla of you are into insulting?! Hows bout for "Location", I put my Job title, or hows about Gleason's Ring, yet one Clown, real computer Beer muscles, puts down 'Muay Thai Kickboxing Gym', don't know how to call that pathetic 'outing'. I'll throw in some Old School for ya, Hows bout' "You Played Yourself"! Wants Jokers he ain't never met or will meet, to definitely know that he's without a doubt into MMA, sorta like street cred, Bra, I'm listening in, talking when I see fit, having a nice time, seeing who likes who in the cage, the upcoming fights, and y'all is gonna call me out type of deal, by throwin names?! Yeah, Overeem is a huge Juice Monkey, wasn't the fool that fought B.J. awhiles back get pinched for juice once upon a time, I forget his name, like I said, I ain't obsessed, just an "Ordinary Average Guy" (Great J. Walsh Song!), and did I ever say that Nick Diaz got pinched for green!?!?, did that come from me? I mentioned Nate Diaz with that scowl that makes him look like he done just smelled himself a skunk! But, your into Muay Thai, so I'll just cower to you, I just wanna make you feel important and superior, whatever ya want Son, it's your world. But like Bushwick used to let out, "Listen and Learn, and you'll be aaaiiiggghhhhtttt!. Just felt like I wanted to explain a few issues, even though I don't owe dick to tough guys I don't know, will never know, and don't think I wants to get to know. God Bless you anyways, It's apparent there's some hate there, for not a reason!
Old 01-30-2011, 04:45 PM
Stockton's Finest once again showed his skills and got a perfect arm bar on Cyborg Santos. I don't know what I enjoyed more... seeing Cyborg get pissed that he tapped or seeing Lady Cyborg cry. It was a beautiful ending.

This is a great fight to kick off the year for Strikeforce. Now comes the Heavyweight Grand Prix! I'm very excited...

An aside: I still can't get into Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. I think he's a boring fighter. He gets the job done, but in the same way Jake Shields does. It's incredibly slow and boring to see either men fight and I keep praying for the day they get knocked out only because I'm so bored by them. I don't like Robbie Lawler as a person, but I would have rather seen him win. But I guess chokes are his kryptonite. He has a lot to work on with his ground game.

Bring on Belfort vs. Silva!
Old 01-31-2011, 01:00 AM
It was a decent enough event. I liked how Roger Gracie made such quick work of Prangley, I really wasn't expecting that. He looks to have a tremendous upside and I'm looking forward to seeing him fight some names. I actually like Robbie Lawler and was disappointed in how that fight went, but it was easy to see coming. He's just never gonna have great sub defense, it seems.

For next weekend, I pick Torres, Ellenberger, Jones, Forrest, and Vitor Belfort. Here's my vid if anyone's interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDCK1Aq7zI
Old 01-31-2011, 03:46 AM
February is going to be a great month for MMA
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Fuck, I can't wait for tonight.

Picks:

Anderson (I'm not counting Vitor out though. He's probably the best striker Silva's ever faced)
Franklin (Forrest has a year of ring rust and Franklin has that knockout power that could catch him off guard.)
Bones
Torres
Rocha

And, I'm hoping Kid Yamamoto wins, but I get the vibe that he isn't taking Johnson too seriously.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Word, that staredown was pretty killer. Vitor is notorious for being one of the nicest, most even-tempered guys in the sport, and Anderson is a bit of a dick. It was going like a typical puffed-up staredown until Anderson said something that it seemed like honestly pissed Vitor off. Not in the usual "let's look badass and sell the fight" kind of way, either.

He looks pissed. Not that it's going to effect the fight one way or another, as it doesn't matter how pissed one or either guy is when it comes time, but I'd still like to know what Anderson said. Also what the hell was with that goofy-ass mask. I'm glad we're going to get to see Kid Yamamoto fight on Facebook, and you may be right Frank in that he doesn't seem too serious about the fight but I still think he's gonna put the whoopin' on Johnson.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:14 PM
anyone know where this event is streaming? ATDHE is no more so my access to MMA is severely limited these days.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:29 PM
I'll give more detailed thoughts later, but HOLY SHIT!!!

Anderson knocked out Vitor with a freaking front kick to the face. I never saw or expected that. After GSP hopefully wrecks Shields, they have to do Anderson/GSP.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:35 AM
If last night's fight proved anything, it's that Silva is still the beast he's always been. He didn't get exposed by Sonnen or anything, he just had a terrible night (and still won). He's still a P4P cat. Still, I can't wait for someone to shut him up. I hate the clowning around he does. Hopefully it will be GSP, but that's something I wouldn't be willing to put money on.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:48 PM
This is one of those deals where I'm gonna be depressed for days. I can't wait for someone to shut him up either, but after last night I don't know if that's gonna happen. People are gonna undersell this fight in retrospect, and forget its significance because of the way it ended, but it really was Silva's biggest test other than Hendo. And he didn't just pass the test, he kicked it in the face. Unless there's some sort of crazy chain of events that leads him to fight Fedor, I unfortunately don't think I'll ever be able to pick against Anderson Silva again. GSP is certainly an interesting fight for him, but I think Silva will take it.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Shogun vs. Jon Jones! and its only a month away, i cant wait!

and of course Andersons kick was awesome, everyone went nuts where i was at when that happened. btw, Steven Seagal takes credit for "teaching" him that kick.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I don't know what the hell happened to Franklin during that fight but he didn't seem like himself, sad to see him lose.

Man, I was really hoping Belfort would do it... can't believe Silva didn't break a toe or something.

If all goes as planned and we see the GSP-Silva superfight, and Silva wins... and if Jones beats Rua, and possibly another opponent after that, I'd like to see Silva move up to face Jones, I couldn't think of a matchup I'd like to see more... ever.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I think Fedor will win his fight on saturday, and I predict that it will be Overeem vs. Barnett in the finals.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 PM
I have this weird feeling about Arlovski, I think he's the dark horse here. He's been on the receiving end of a string of knockouts lately, so I think he'll come in with something to prove. Barnett isn't going to have as easy of a ride to the finals as most people think, especially since he's going to have to be clean for this tournament.

Last edited by DunlopolnuD; 02-10-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
I think Arlovski can beat Kharitonov if he can remain deliberate with his strikes and not get suckered into a brawl like he did with Fedor, not with a weaker chin and not against a K1 vet like Kharitonov. Even though Andre's punches are quicker and more powerful, Kharitonov has a fucking jaw of steel and has much better kickboxing technique. It's a great match up and I'm rooting for Arlovski, but i think he is the underdog in this fight when it comes to the standup.

Fedor should TKO Big Foot in the 1st round. I doubt he can take Fedor down and hold him down without taking a zillion punches to the face. If Fedor loses to this guy my mind will most likely implode.

Also I agree with Canto I think the final bout will be between Overeem and Barnett.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
This is one of those deals where I'm gonna be depressed for days. I can't wait for someone to shut him up either, but after last night I don't know if that's gonna happen. People are gonna undersell this fight in retrospect, and forget its significance because of the way it ended, but it really was Silva's biggest test other than Hendo. And he didn't just pass the test, he kicked it in the face. Unless there's some sort of crazy chain of events that leads him to fight Fedor, I unfortunately don't think I'll ever be able to pick against Anderson Silva again. GSP is certainly an interesting fight for him, but I think Silva will take it.
do you guys know who chillingworths father is in real life? its this guy. seriously

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/...owthitt700.htm
Old 02-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Fedor should do well against Silva. Let's just wait until KingsofKings comes out and keeps telling us how Fedor is overrated because he never fought in the holy grail(UFC) and how Brock Lesnar is the baddest man on the planet.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:06 PM
It really looked like Silva had gassed after he couldn't finish that arm choke, had it not been for the eye, I truly think Fedor could have finished him in the 3rd. But Silva earned it, he did the damage, and got the ref's stoppage.

If Strikeforce would have brought up the Fedor retirement talks, I would've thought nothing of it, but Fedor announcing that it might be time to leave, I fear we've seen the last of him.

No more Reem Vs. Fedor, sucks for Strikeforce, but more importantly us... the fans.

I wonder what happens if Silva's piss comes back dirty.

Last edited by DunlopolnuD; 02-12-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Old 02-12-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't really see him retiring. Fighters always start talking that way after losses, and for Fedor it's a completely new feeling so he's probably taking it harder than most. I don't buy the retirement talk, but even if it isn't true it's clear that he's not gonna be what he was anymore, and that fucking sucks. And I thought Vitor losing was depressing.

Through the first round and even well into the second, I kept trying to tell myself that we've seen Fedor take a ton of punishment before and come back to win. But the smashing he took in that second, he's never been remotely close to manhandled that way. Fedor could have still finished it in the third if it continued, but I don't think he would have. Gassed as Silva was, Fedor was looking pretty blown himself even setting aside the eye.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Yea round 3 probably wouldve been exactly the same, Silva was just way too big. Fedor has never fought someone that big that is that good on the ground, Overeem would probably destroy him the same way. I just hope Overeem beats Werdum because i dont care about a rematch between Silva and Werdum. Overeem/Silva would be a great fight.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Damn, I was hoping for Fedor to come back and win it in the third, but that eye was nasty. If this is his last fight, he had a great last fight and never gave up. He didn't lose in embarassing fashion and I'd rather him to retire with some dignity intact instead of piss it all away like say Ken Shamrock or Sakuraba or Liddell who finally recently retired. Props to Bigfoot as he dominated Fedor in round 2. With the recent dominating victories by GSP and Anderson further establishing their legacies, I don't know if I'd say Fedor is the pound for pound GOAT, but he's still one of my favorite fighters ever.

Tonight was kind of a depressing show overall as Arlovski has to be done now. I was hoping he'd pull it out as he was looking good, but his chin has to be one of the worst ever in MMA. Sergei looked great and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the finals.

I'm rooting for Werdum now. Everyone seems to be overlooking him. Overeem has looked unstoppable for a while, but the fighters he's beat in his recent streak hasn't looked that impressive.

Paul Buentello (Always been one of those guys who looks good against cans and like crap against good fighters)
Lee Tae Hyun (His fight against Reem was only his third fight)
Mark Hunt (was a contender at one point, but then every fighter seemed to figure out that he is terrible at defending submissions. It also was his first fight in nearly two years.)
Gary Goodridge (Ridiculously past his prime)
James Thompson (Really?)
Kazuyuki Fujita (Always fun to watch but really has never been considered a top ten heavyweight)
Brett Rogers (Has power, but not much else going for him. Could still improve but nowhere near a top contender dispite Strikeforce billing him as such.)
Todd Duffee (Still is very early in his MMA career and could be a big time heavyweight in a few years)

Werdum is on a different level than than those fighters at this point and has already defeated Overeem. Maybe I could be wrong and Overeem could use his striking to win the whole thing, but don't count out Werdum.

Last edited by Frank the Tank; 02-13-2011 at 12:02 AM..
Old 02-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Fedor's serious about being done. He clearly doesn't have the fire in his belly anymore.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Fedor held his own in the first round and lost focus/overcommitted in the second as he should have been prepared for Silva's takedowns, though I must admit I grossly underrated Silva's boxing. My respects to Bigfoot, it was a better match-up than I expected, it just sucks the ref had to stop the fight before the end, a third round could have changed everything.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!
Still doesn't mean that Fedor isn't the best fighter ever. He's the MJ of MMA, like the announcers said. And Brando is with me that he serious about leaving the sport. I think his time is up but he will always be a legend in the sport.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Yeah, this was a devastating loss. Probably one of the saddest nights in MMA history. Maybe Fedor has lost it. Age can catch up with fighters at any time. Or maybe he can simply change his regimen. Call me crazy, but what if Fedor changed his diet and trained harder? I don't think I've ever seen him change his body much. Or it's possible he should move down to Light Heavyweight. He was always small for his weight class. It was a fantastic run though if does decide to retire. Nobody can take that away from him.

It was one hell of a fight and I give props to Antonio Silva.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
Yeah, this was a devastating loss. Probably one of the saddest nights in MMA history. Maybe Fedor has lost it. Age can catch up with fighters at any time. Or maybe he can simply change his regimen. Call me crazy, but what if Fedor changed his diet and trained harder? I don't think I've ever seen him change his body much. Or it's possible he should move down to Light Heavyweight. He was always small for his weight class. It was a fantastic run though if does decide to retire. Nobody can take that away from him.

It was one hell of a fight and I give props to Antonio Silva.
I don't think it's his age or even his regimen. It was clear from last night that he's simply lost the drive he once had. Sometimes you can just look at a fighter and tell that it's not there, and that's the best time to call it quits. Same goes for boxers. When you've become the face of an entire sport, a god in your home country, and wealthy beyond your wildest dreams, there's only so much you can hope to attain.

It was a good fight though. I'm glad the ref stopped it after the second. A third round wouldn't have made much difference and probably would've ended in more unnecessary punishment. Silva has good technique and size and probably would've given Fedor plenty of trouble even in his prime.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando @$$ Fat View Post
I don't think it's his age or even his regimen. It was clear from last night that he's simply lost the drive he once had. Sometimes you can just look at a fighter and tell that it's not there, and that's the best time to call it quits. Same goes for boxers. When you've become the face of an entire sport, a god in your home country, and wealthy beyond your wildest dreams, there's only so much you can hope to attain.

It was a good fight though. I'm glad the ref stopped it after the second. A third round wouldn't have made much difference and probably would've ended in more unnecessary punishment. Silva has good technique and size and probably would've given Fedor plenty of trouble even in his prime.
I didn't mean age so much as I think 34 is "old," but in MMA it really seems like your mid-30's is a real turning point for many fighters. They can either get better and improve, or they simply lose "it" what "it" was for the fighter. It could be brute strength, fast reflexes, incredible accuracy. Maybe Fedor's loss to Werdum before really did take something away from him. Who knows at this point... I just hope that he still has something left in him because it'd be a shame to see him walk away.

What a dramatic month for MMA. It's one for the books.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 AM
The only reason I kind of hope the retirement talk isn't true is 'cuz I'd hate to see Fedor go out this way. It'd be sweet if he came back to win one or two more against decent opponents, then hung it up. It just sucks seeing an all-time great go out on losses, as with Chuck. It would've been killer if Chuck had stopped after the Wandy fight instead of leaving ending his career in a slump, but that's all hindsight I guess. Fedor's legacy is intact no matter what, but I'd just like him to go out on a high. They rarely do, though.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillingworth View Post
The only reason I kind of hope the retirement talk isn't true is 'cuz I'd hate to see Fedor go out this way. It'd be sweet if he came back to win one or two more against decent opponents, then hung it up. It just sucks seeing an all-time great go out on losses, as with Chuck. It would've been killer if Chuck had stopped after the Wandy fight instead of leaving ending his career in a slump, but that's all hindsight I guess. Fedor's legacy is intact no matter what, but I'd just like him to go out on a high. They rarely do, though.
It's nice to see a great athlete go out on a win. Perhaps Fedor can find some journeyman to pick on and then call it quits, but what would be the point? Why should someone who fought at the highest level of the sport even bother when he isn't at that level anymore? It'd be disrespectful to the fans of the sport. It would've been nice if Fedor could've walked away at his peak like Jim Brown did, but few athletes ever get that luxury. For Fedor, it's not the ideal way out, but it'd easier to stomach than it was to watch Ali get the crap beaten out of him by Larry Holmes or Willie Mays stumbling around in the Mets outfield.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:22 PM
Woohoo, Fedor has said that it was a knee-jerk reaction and that he will fight again.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunlopolnuD View Post
Woohoo, Fedor has said that it was a knee-jerk reaction and that he will fight again.
Can we do squares for how fast he loses?

Man... why does it feel so good being right all of the time?