Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Celeb Talk/Gossip
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Gary Oldman urges people to get over Mel Gibson's rants

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...interview.html
Old 06-23-2014, 01:54 PM
"We're all fucking hypocrites."

I can agree with this at the very least.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 PM
I would love for Gibson to at least direct again. That viking film sounded really cool.

Last edited by echo_bravo; 06-23-2014 at 04:42 PM..
Old 06-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Gary Oldman is a transcendently great actor, one of the best of his generation.

He is, also, completely full of shit (something I've known for a long time) and as wrong as he can possibly be about damn near everything he's quoted on there.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Aside from what Gary Oldeman says, or any body else for that matter, Mel Gibson in my books is a great actor, and also a great director. By the word great, I don't mean he's a Cecil B Demille, or a Peter O Toole in both the directing and/or acting departments. Not by a long shot. But I do believe he has talent, and I have always loved his work both in front of and behind the camera. He is entertaining to say the very least. I think most would agree with me on that last point at the very least. Because of who he is (a well known actor in the lime light), the man can't have a ciggy without the entire world judging him. Sure, he has anger management issues, racial slurs, etc etc.

But I ask you, who is perfect? No body is. And that includes Mel. And while I don't agree with his behavior at times, most notably the incident in question, I say fuck the people out there who are bad-mouthing him left right and center. I am willing to bet that some of them have done worse. Yes, we are all hypocrites in our own right. All of us. Whether or not you choose to believe that or not is your prerogative. I don't pretend to know and/or understand hollywood politics as such. But I do know this. If Mel Gibson stars in a new film, or directs a new movie, I will be there. Even if it is mediocre, the man still has an onscreen charisma I have always been attracted to. I remember when I first saw Mad Max 1, I loved it. And I'm not saying that because I am an Australian. I am saying that because it's a fact. I have pretty much most of his work in my dvd collection. Onya, Mel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
I would love for Gibson to at least direct again. That viking film sounded really cool.
Yes, and yes. I also long for another epic feature film from Mel Gibson. The last thing I saw him star in was The Gringo, and Machete Kills. But both were unfortunately meh.

Last edited by God of War; 06-23-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Theres a great book on Kindle only from Joe Eszterhas called 'Heaven and Mel,' About the time he was asked by Mel to work on a screenplay with him.Some things Mel says;
“I hate John Lennon. He deserved to be shot.”

“[Walter Cronkite] was a hebe, wasn’t he?”

“Fuck! Fuck! Fucking hate! Fucking cunt cocksucker whore! Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!”

“I want to fuck [Oksana] in the ass and stab her to death while I’m doing it!”

Some audio Joe took : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEAO9j4MWH4
Old 06-23-2014, 11:36 PM
^^^
Yeah he's said some really awful things and ftr, I can totally understand some folks being turned off by him and his rhetoric. But I see a very troubled man with serious anger issues/paranoia issues and hope he improves himself. I just hope he gets better roles. he's too good to be doing Machete Kills or The Expendables 3.

Here he is recently at a UFC fight. Lovin the beard Mel!

Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 AM

Forget Gibson, Gary Oldman is complaining about a much bigger issue. Political correctness is getting way out of hand. Everyday it seems to get worse and worse, to the point that it feels like the world has become a parody of itself.

It wasn't that long ago that Gwyneth Paltrow was attacked by the media for using a very common metaphor by comparing life on the internet to a war zone. Tabloid writers are acting like she is crazy and out of touch with reality for making such a "comparison". Yet these same media personalities constantly use the 'war zone metaphor' to describe elections and politics. Now, they are acting like Paltrow is a nutjob for using it, and that the metaphor is insensitive to war veterans. This is absolute hypocrisy.

Oldman nailed it. And I respect the hell out of him for actually standing up to this PC tyranny that has overtaken the entire media industry.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:53 AM
Not putting up with anti-Semitism or anti-Gay bigotry isn't "political correctness" (a term that is utterly meaningless now). It's common human decency.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
Not putting up with anti-Semitism or anti-Gay bigotry isn't "political correctness" (a term that is utterly meaningless now). It's common human decency.
Gibson's comments were clearly anti-semite, but I don't think Baldwin's comments were necessarily anti-gay although I don't remember exactly what he said but from what I recall I think he was just being un-pc and letting his anger get the best of him, which admittedly seems to happen a lot with him. Baldwin's main issue just seems to me like he's got anger management issues. So Oldman's half right I guess.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverload View Post
Forget Gibson, Gary Oldman is complaining about a much bigger issue. Political correctness is getting way out of hand. Everyday it seems to get worse and worse, to the point that it feels like the world has become a parody of itself.

It wasn't that long ago that Gwyneth Paltrow was attacked by the media for using a very common metaphor by comparing life on the internet to a war zone. Tabloid writers are acting like she is crazy and out of touch with reality for making such a "comparison". Yet these same media personalities constantly use the 'war zone metaphor' to describe elections and politics. Now, they are acting like Paltrow is a nutjob for using it, and that the metaphor is insensitive to war veterans. This is absolute hypocrisy.

Oldman nailed it. And I respect the hell out of him for actually standing up to this PC tyranny that has overtaken the entire media industry.
I agree with this. Recently Charlize Theron was attacked for making some kind of comparison to rape (I forget what she was comparing to rape). Probably not the smartest thing to say, but whatever. I thought the flack she got was overblown. Don't we all say something stupid now and then? The only difference with celebrities are always being watched and under a microphone. So if they say something stupid, it gets overblown and makes news, etc.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
^^^
Yeah he's said some really awful things and ftr, I can totally understand some folks being turned off by him and his rhetoric. But I see a very troubled man with serious anger issues/paranoia issues and hope he improves himself. I just hope he gets better roles. he's too good to be doing Machete Kills or The Expendables 3.

Here he is recently at a UFC fight. Lovin the beard Mel!

Ugh. Gibson really needs to get rid of the beard. It does him NO favors!
Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 AM
Quote:
I call it hypocrisy.

When people are angry or drunk or both, they'll say hurtful things. Even if they don't mean it. Everyone does it. A racial slur is just a curse word, an insult no different from any other. The purpose of it is to piss off the person you're pissed at. There is nothing sinister behind it. It's not going to summon Nazis from the netherworld. I've had my best friend sling racial slurs at me when he was angry. You know what? I know he didn't mean it, he was just trying to piss me off. He's the furthest thing from a bigot, and one of the few people in my life that I can always count on.

Louis CK sums up my point pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw&feature=kp

And I'm not saying any of this as a defense for Gibson. Gibson clearly has issues, but I don't hate him or judge him for it. It's his demons, and he seems to be actively working on his issues (whatever they may be).

Last edited by Silverload; 06-24-2014 at 03:54 AM..
Old 06-25-2014, 02:06 AM
I'm not getting into this same Goddamned foolishness yet again. This subject has come up here over and over and that "Hey, I say stupid shit when I'm drunk too!" nonsense has been brought up (and dispensed with) over and over as well.

Nobody without some deep seated bigotry has ever said that they hoped their girlfriend was raped by a pack of guys identified by a racial slur, or any of the other vile anti-Semitic or homophobic shit that that guy has said, on the record. I've never said anything like that, drunk or otherwise, so don't call me a hypocrite.

If you want a hypocrite, look at Baldwin. He's made a career out of social activism, including battling anti-Gay bigotry but when push comes to shove (literally), out come the slurs. I was more than a little disappointed in him because I thought he was a better man than that (obvious anger issues aside) but it appears that his problems run deeper than we all thought.

If I had tried to excuse his outburst or play it off as unimportant, then I would've been a hypocrite.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:05 AM
Quote:
I'm not getting into this same Goddamned foolishness yet again.
Then why post the bait for such "foolishness" to be discussed? Why even post in a thread where this is obviously going to be the topic? Perhaps you're a bit of a drama queen.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Then why post the bait for such "foolishness" to be discussed?
I'm not the OP.

Quote:
Why even post in a thread where this is obviously going to be the topic?
Because I have a solid opinion about this matter, even if I don't want to repeatedly rehash things that I've written over and over.

Quote:
Perhaps you're a bit of a drama queen.
Yeah. And I'm "jealous" of Mel Gibson.

Or something.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 AM
Why is it when a celebrity starts ranting about Political Correctness, it more or less comes down to people not tolerating a'hole-ish behavior from men who should know better? Gary Oldman is a damn good actor, but as a person he doesn't have a great reputation, and hasn't really acted up like this in a while but it's not out of character for him from what I remember in the past. Mel Gibson apparently had a midlife panic-attack and destroyed his private life and reputation, it's sad but it looks like he just spent the patience of everyone who kept him either sane or away from the public eye for so long, where they just said "screw it, I'm not covering for him anymore".
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM
FTR all I want is for Mel Gibson to be in better films (and perhaps direct his own stuff again), I can completely understand anyone not liking the guy. Hell, I don't like Sean Penn as a person but I still enjoy his films . Thats what I was getting at. and it was a slow news day in celeb shit so I felt why not post this article

Oh and Gary Oldman gave an apology for his comments(which he really didn't have to imo)

I am deeply remorseful that comments I recently made in the Playboy Interview were offensive to many Jewish people. Upon reading my comments in print — I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype. Anything that contributes to this stereotype is unacceptable, including my own words on the matter. If, during the interview, I had been asked to elaborate on this point I would have pointed out that I had just finished reading Neal Gabler’s superb book about the Jews and Hollywood, An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews invented Hollywood. The fact is that our business, and my own career specifically, owes an enormous debt to that contribution.

I hope you will know that this apology is heartfelt, genuine, and that I have an enormous personal affinity for the Jewish people in general, and those specifically in my life. The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.

I would like to sign off with ‘Shalom Aleichem’ — but under the circumstances, perhaps today I lose the right to use that phrase, so I will wish you all peace
Gary Oldman.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:36 PM
The world today has Paula Deen losing everything for admitting to using the N word sometime in her life but Justin Bieber sings songs that have the n word in them and not a damn thing happened to him...! Political Correctness has gotten out of hand in thus country, just look at whats goin on with the Redskins.. no problems for decades and then now, for no reason, they have to get rid of it. but hypocrisy is even worse.. if the n word is bad, then it us bad FOR EVERYONE... including rappers!
Old 06-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Quote:

He is, also, completely full of shit (something I've known for a long time) and as wrong as he can possibly be about damn near everything he's quoted on there.
Specifics?
Old 06-26-2014, 03:37 AM
This is just a small slice of his rather rancid political views.

In case anyone missed it, he walked a lot of his statements from the interview back today, especially that vile shit about Hollywood being "run by Jews"

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 06-26-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Old 06-26-2014, 05:52 AM
Quote:
I call it hypocrisy.

When people are angry or drunk or both, they'll say hurtful things. Even if they don't mean it. Everyone does it. A racial slur is just a curse word, an insult no different from any other. The purpose of it is to piss off the person you're pissed at. There is nothing sinister behind it. It's not going to summon Nazis from the netherworld. I've had my best friend sling racial slurs at me when he was angry. You know what? I know he didn't mean it, he was just trying to piss me off. He's the furthest thing from a bigot, and one of the few people in my life that I can always count on.

Louis CK sums up my point pretty well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw&feature=kp

And I'm not saying any of this as a defense for Gibson. Gibson clearly has issues, but I don't hate him or judge him for it. It's his demons, and he seems to be actively working on his issues (whatever they may be).

This...ALL THIS

And I agree, wih Louis... its not sucking the dick that I will call someone a faggot..its if they are swooshing about and acting like a prissy man-chick that I will throw the word out there... lol
Old 06-26-2014, 04:13 PM

Jesus Christ...
Old 06-26-2014, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Jesus Christ...

Yep.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:42 PM
Gary Oldman dug himself a hole for sure. This whole situation is just cringeworthy - especially that apology on Kimmell. Let that be a lesson to all to just not open your mouth anywhere about anything cause there is no freedom of speech or criticism in this country. Fascist state
Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 PM
I understand Gary's been trundled off to Gitmo. Shame.

Well, at least we've got his movies to remember him by.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:21 PM
Quote:
I understand Gary's been trundled off to Gitmo. Shame.

Well, at least we've got his movies to remember him by.
That would be awesome
Old 06-27-2014, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickman View Post
This...ALL THIS

And I agree, wih Louis... its not sucking the dick that I will call someone a faggot..its if they are swooshing about and acting like a prissy man-chick that I will throw the word out there... lol