Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > Upcoming Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2010, 11:16 AM
I think I'm living in Hobbit Hell!

My 2 most anticipated movies, shot all to pieces.

What a world...what a world...

Last edited by Otis_Driftwood; 06-07-2010 at 11:20 AM..
Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 AM
I wonder how favoured PJ is to take the directorial role? I'd like PJ, as there's experience with Middle Earth and Hobbits, and Tolkien as well.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 PM
I would love for Peter Jackson to take the helm again, but I get the feeling that his heart just isn't in it.

Who would you pick as his successor? I honestly think that Spielberg would an excellent pick to helm these 2 movies, but that's my opinion.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:34 PM
For some reason I want Sam Raimi to take this. I don't know why, I just do.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 AM
No on Raimi and, as much as I love Spielberg and think that he's a genius - I wouldn't want to see him doing The Hobbit either. I just don't see either of them doing particularly well with hard fantasy like this. Raimi has dabbled in soft fantasy in his horror movies and Spider-Man series, and Spielberg is really more of a sci-fi guy. Point is, I think there are directors far better suited to direct trolls, orcs and dragons than these two guys.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Del Toro leaving the project could end up being the best news ever if Jackson decides to do it himself afterall.

Personally, while I like Del Toro, I think he's a tad overrated. Then again, this could have been his masterpiece. There were moments of greatness in the second Hellboy movie and Pan's Labyrinth that suggest he could have done an amazing job with this movie. But because I've never truly wowed by any of his movies, I'm not really that upset either.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Jackson too can be very hit and miss. Personally, I'd like to see Del Toro's vision.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 AM
The news of Del Toro dropping out of directing The Hobbit bummed me out. I was so pumped to see his cinematic vision of Tolkien's universe. This is definitely a major blow to the film. Unless Peter Jackson or Alfonso Cuaron steps in to replace Del Toro, I won't be able to muster up much excitement for the picture. What a shame....

Fuck the studios, the legal matters, and all the delays!

Strider
Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Come on, PJ is a guy who had a whole Hobbiton village constructed on his property, this is his world and he knows it intimately, i never understood why he felt the need to pass the baton. I could never see anyone else directing this.

When he made the Lotr trilogy he lived and breathed everything Middle Earth, and it showed in the final product, he gave it a life nobody could have.

I understand why Del Toro left, but it also tells me he wasn't the man to give it everything he had, to sacrifice a big part of his life to complete such a monumental task. He got weeded out but in the end the right people will take over, i'm confident it will be Pj, he's fought for this for years now, i think this will just motivate him more, make him realize that he was meant to do this.

I don't want Spielberg to do this, he would want to film it in Cali somewhere, and Cuaron just doesn't have the proper sensibilities. Do you really think either one of them would be committed enough to get every detail right, down to the accents and language, i very much doubt it. Neither of them would be inspired to truly bring this world to life again. It's not just about technical proficiency or skill when it concerns this material.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Judging by the huge favor he did by rescuing the Harry Potter franchise from the kid-friendly clutches of Chris Columbus and turning it into the dark, rich, thrilling franchise it is today, I'd definitely say that Cuaron, out of all other potential directors, has the best chance at doing this justice. I can TOTALLY see him revelling in the details, the accents, the language, the weapons, the armor, etc - just look at Children of Men, probably one of the most meticulously detailed movies in recent memory.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dellamorte dellamore View Post
Come on, PJ is a guy who had a whole Hobbiton village constructed on his property, this is his world and he knows it intimately, i never understood why he felt the need to pass the baton. I could never see anyone else directing this.
What? No he didn't. Hobbiton was bulit on a sheep farm in Matamata. PJ lives in Wellington.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
What? No he didn't. Hobbiton was bulit on a sheep farm in Matamata. PJ lives in Wellington.
I think he's referring to the Bag End set that PJ had moved to his house and uses as a guest house.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 PM
Alfonso Cuaron is the only other director who get get me interested in this project again.

I think we all need to start accepting the facts thought that it won't be happening.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by overwatch View Post
Yes, the genuine filming location, but he also had a miniature version of Hobbiton built on his estate. I'll try to find an article about it, i remember reading it in one of the local papers some time back.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
I think he's referring to the Bag End set that PJ had moved to his house and uses as a guest house.

Yeah, something along those lines. That's hardcore man, that's someone living the material, not just a hired gun
Old 06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
The ring just may be returned to it's rightful owner, looks like WB and Mgm were thinking what i was:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/two-...-hobbit-films/
Old 06-15-2010, 11:49 PM
I hope he can be convinced!
Old 06-16-2010, 05:53 AM
I hope PJ won't fuck this up by shooting on digital and making this 3D...

Because to tell you guys the truth, that's what I'm most afraid of here.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM
Photos: "The Hobbit" Sets are Being Built

Even though Guillermo del Toro has dropped out of directing "The Hobbit" prequels and nobody knows what will happen to MGM, pre-production on the films has still been progressing.

We know that the script for the first movie is already complete and the second one is getting close, but according to a German site, sets are being built in New Zealand in order to prepare for a shoot. Check them out below.

At the time, there are several directors who are being considered to helm "The Hobbit," but none have received an official offer. Sources claim that Peter Jackson ("LOTR" trilogy) is being persuaded to take the job.

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=18046&count=0
Old 06-17-2010, 03:22 PM
Sigh, I love New Zealand so much...
Old 06-17-2010, 05:09 PM
Boy did those pictures bring a smile to my face! Thanks for posting! Lets go PJ, lets get this epic rolling!
Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieBuff07 View Post
Boy did those pictures bring a smile to my face! Thanks for posting! Lets go PJ, lets get this epic rolling!
Agreed!

As they said in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"....

"GET ON WITH IT!"
Old 06-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Word is Petey is a go!!! Maybe the best movie news I've heard in the last 5 years! I'm there midnight show FO SHO.
Old 06-25-2010, 02:28 PM

I knew Del Toro leaving the project would end up being a great thing!

Excellent news about Jackson finally agreeing to direct this!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Oh fuck yeah! Even though I was excited that Del Toro was going to direct, it was only because he was the next best thing. Some of the best movie news I have heard in a long time.

Last edited by Bourne101; 06-25-2010 at 03:02 PM..
Old 06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
Excellent, although I'm still afraid ol' Petey has gotten to caught up in technology, and might end up filming this in digital and in 3D... which would royally suck. Hopefully Tin Tin didn't go TOO much to his head... if not, this could be amazing
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 PM
I'm over the moon that Jackson has agreed to take the chair, things couldn't have turned out any better. Obviously Del Toro would've more than likely done a great job, but it just feels right for Jackson to finish what he started.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:31 PM
YAY!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Not just yeah...but Hell Yeah!

Go Pete go!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Just read the news on the joblo mainpage. Great news!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm glad Jackson is returning to the world he helped create. He really disappointed me with The Lovely Bones, but I know he will make both Hobbit films great.
Old 06-26-2010, 01:26 AM
I was convinced he would come to his senses eventually and choose to take over. I always had this feeling that he wanted to but wasn't sure he could find the inspiration to take on this task.

I don't know, but from the moment i saw Rotk i knew the Hobbit was going to be a reality eventually with Pj at the helm. It was a long journey for sure with some moments of doubt that it would ever get made. I never stopped believing it would come to fruition with the cinematic master of Middle Earth directing.

I don't think Del Toro ever truly embraced or even realized what taking on this epic creation entailed so he dropped out. Things have a way of veering back to the way they should be, and much like the recasting of Aragorn and Connery's refusal to live in NZ for two years to play the role of Gandalf, the proper man to direct these awesome tales is the one who will be.

I can hear the Hobbiton song playing in my head, the one that played in the beginning of FOTR when Frodo catches up on events with Gandalf. This is terrific news, all has been restored now.

Just a silly sidenote, when it was made official the Hobbit was going to be a reality, i started wearing the One Ring replica i bought in 2003 in anticipation of the release. I wore on a gold chain, it was something i did for a year leading up to the release of Rotk. The chain started inexplicably coming undone and the ring kept on falling to the ground. Then the announcement was made that Del Toro was dropping out. Hmm, it must be coincidence, or it was trying to tell me something ( yeah, i know, get a stronger chain )
Old 06-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Peter Jackson to Direct "The Hobbit" Prequels!

After Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy) stepped down from directing "The Hobbit" prequels, that left "LOTR" director Peter Jackson with the difficult task of finding his replacement. Many were considered, including Jackson's protege Neill Blomkamp (District 9), but Jackson didn't feel that was the way to go.

Now comes news from THR and Deadline that Jackson has decided to take on the job himself. The helmer is currently in negotiations, with everyone trying to agree on a schedule in order to fast-track the films for a 2012 and 2013 releases.

The script for the first film is already complete, and del Toro will stay on as a writer to finish the script for the second installment. All the other details will be worked out within the next few days. If Jackson signs on to direct, casting will be the next big step. "Harry Potter" star Daniel Radcliffe is already taking himself out of the competition. "I wouldn't like to get involved with another franchise at all," he said, adding: "I don't think I would be asked to play Bilbo."

Source: THR, Deadline

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headlin...=18127&count=0
Old 06-26-2010, 12:35 PM
This is excellent news. I can't wait to see what Jackson does with The Hobbit.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:42 PM
This is mindblowingly awesome news
Old 06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Who else were you expecting?
Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm really looking forward to this now. Peter Jackson did more with the series than anyone could have imagined at the time. I can't see this film being any less impressive.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM
"The Hobbit" Prequels May Lose Ian McKellen

Bad news...

"The Hobbit" Prequels May Lose Ian McKellen

In an interview with New Zealand's Good Morning show, Ian McKellen revealed that he will not be waiting around forever to portray Gandalf The Grey in "The Hobbit" prequels.

He said: "Well, I'm not under contract and my time is running out and I'm enjoying working in the theater and frankly, I would like to race after doing 'Waiting For Godot,' get on with doing another play but we'll have to see. I don't want to give [The Hobbit] producers the impression that I'm sitting waiting."

Peter Jackson, who will likely direct the prequels, recently stated that development needs to stay on schedule or risk losing many of the actors, which will delay the movies by at least a year.

Source: The Playlist
Old 07-06-2010, 09:30 PM
Damn i'm beginning to think the line " to be a ring bearer is to always be alone" has some real life implications.

It's all part of the master plan, only the ones who truly want to make this film will be there when the first reel of film is shot.

Maybe it's a sign, now Connery can give his take on Gandalf. He may be a bit ornery as the Grey Pilgrim and supposedly retired from acting but stranger things have happened. Come on, he has to be itching to get that LOEG taste out of his mouth. The movie he took on instead of the Lotr trilogy.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:45 PM
I'm one of the biggest Connery fans on the planet, but I cannot even fathom McKellan being replaced.