Old 03-07-2011, 04:25 PM
game of thrones

i'm gonna give this a shot. i'll try and forget how much a prick sean bean is

who else is up for it?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
HBO don't really dissapoint, gonna HAVE to atleast give this a go.

Why is Sean Bean a prick?
Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Ive been waiting for this show since I first heard it was being made a couple years back. Ive read A Song of Ice and Fire a few times and can guarantee that the story is amazing. Im still not sold on how well it will translate to the screen, but if they do it right people unfamiliar with the material are in for a hell of a ride! CAN NOT WAIT!
Old 03-07-2011, 04:37 PM
badcover has met him and she told me so it must be true. she is a good judge of character

also i heard about his affairs

shame as i loved sean bean in ronin and sharpe when i was a youngen
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Rereading the books for the fifth time in anticpation! From the trailers it looks like they have stuck well faithful to the books. I have not been this excited for a TV show for a long f'n time.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
Rereading the books for the fifth time in anticpation! From the trailers it looks like they have stuck well faithful to the books. I have not been this excited for a TV show for a long f'n time.
Did you catch the brief shot of the wight in the trailer? I say it has to be a wight because if that is supposed to be an Other then they've already shit the bed.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Did anybody else catch the first 14 minutes of Episode 1?
Feels like Ive just got the tip in and Im about to go balls deep.
*SO EXCITED*
Old 04-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Yep....amazing. Have not been this exited for a TV show for a while. Looks like they have faithfully adapted the books. Can't wait.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:44 PM
I'm tempted to watch the first 14 minutes but I think I'm gonna hold out for the full pilot. It's only a few weeks away. The last two posts have me hopeful that they nailed it though.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Yep 14 minutes also have me hopeful that they nailed it, awesome.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
They took liberties with the prologue, which pissed me off.
It was still pretty damn badass though.

Spoiler:
the beheading scene was perfection though
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
There was already a thread on this you bums!!

I'll definitely be watching it but will have to do by illegal means since I don't have HBO and not about to pay for it to watch one show.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Man, those reviews have blown my excitement wad out of the roof, FUCKING HURRY UP APRIL 17TH!!!!!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Great opening, awesome ending. I'm in.

Last edited by Bourne101; 04-17-2011 at 09:32 PM..
Old 04-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Fuck yeah Bourne, exactly what I want to hear...looking forward to work ending so I can rush home and check it out.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:42 AM
Westeros! Fuck Yeah....

I''ll admit that the confusion of characters, the hyper-insinuated back-story, and vague continuity may be a deterrent to the uninitiated. The first episode was a major overload of players in a epic that will (hopefully) reel viewers back in with its brilliant story of schizophrenic catharsis. While I wasnt completley thrilled with the truncated story of episode one, this is after all a time limited re-imagining of literary prose in a cinematic constraint.

I see only good things from here on out for the story of Westeros and its seven kingdoms. The writers and film makers will settle into a groove, and the rest will unfold before us. I hope that people give their imaginations a chance to absorb the massively entertaining story being told. While the attention to detail and character can be challlenging, the pay off is worth it. More than worth it...in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM
hmm...

Well I guess we were the only people to check this out, then? I personally, having not read but the first couple of chapters of the first book, thought it was excellent. My main gripe would be the clunky dialouge, but over time I can see the exposition dropping off and that no longer being an issue. Great acting, excellent production values, and I especially like the score. I'm looking forward to this, and hope more people hop on board so we don't end up with another Deadwood/Carnivale situation where tons of people discover the show after it has already been cancelled.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow that was awesome....The actress who plays Daenyres was beautiful. Even though i know what happens..can't wait for next week!
Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
I dug the first episode. I'm in for the long haul.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
i loved it! ya daenyres and the queen are smokin'. i'm hooked
Old 04-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Overall, I thought they did a great job of distilling the first part of the book into television form - it's a difficult task they set for themselves (setting up all the threads and introducing the numerous characters and locations all in the span of an hour) but, at least to me, it felt like not a word was wasted in trying to convey everything to the audience.

Granted, that meant there were times when the exposition was more obvious than not (Arya's shouts of who was who when the Baratheons and Lannisters rode in made me cringe a little) but it is a necessary evil to get everyone caught up to the point where the plot points can have an impact, and I thought they got it across as painlessly as it could possibly have gone. There's sure to be more in the first few episodes, but they packed as much as they possibly could have into the first hour, I think.

The largest concern that I have is that this episode is almost entirely setup, just placing each piece on the board and allowing the audience to get settled into watching the characters. Therefore, it feels exactly like what it is - that first, grindingly slow movement at the beginning of a roll down a hill. Not to say I thought it was a boring hour - far from it - but the biggest worry I have is that audiences won't stick with the show long enough for it to gain its momentum. Movies tend to try to start with a bang of an initiating incident (start as late as possible in the story, right) to get people hooked, but Martin's books, large and dense as they are, tend to be the type of affair that setup threads everywhere, warm you up to the characters gradually and then proceed to add layer upon layer until they can pummel and blindside you with the developments.

That seems to be what they're going for with Game of Thrones so I have my fingers crossed that audiences will stick with it as its storyline begins to unfold. Thankfully, HBO is exactly the place for that, as they and their viewers typically are the kind who have the patience to give a dense show the time it needs to develop its characters and threads and make you care.

I am glad though, that they sped through portions of the book as much as possible to get to that final cliffhanger. Those who have read the books undoubtedly expected this to be the ending point for the pilot and I'm happy they stuck to that plan. I know when I first read the books, that was a pivotal moment for me and the first moment that really hooked me into the storyline and underlined the kind of tone to expect.

It's too early to tell much of the performances but I can say that of the glimpses we get of the entire cast, all of them seem up to the task and with the baggage I bring from having read the books (up to #3 at least), they seem to fit spot on with how I envisioned the characters myself.

On a technical level, it's one of the most handsome productions I've seen on television. I had some reservations when I saw the trailers and spots but every location in the opening episode was rendered beautifully and gave a sense of scope with the contrasts from Winterfell to Pentos, King's Landing to (the short glimpse we got of) The Wall. I had read a review or two that had reservations regarding the framing, considering it too TV-like, but I didn't feel that at all. The aspect ratio is the standard TV ratio 16x9, wider than what you might expect for a fantasy epic, but it also makes sense in the way this show will (as the book before it was) be focused squarely on the characters over the scenery itself. This show is not and will not be epic on a physical scale the way Lord of the Rings is with its vast landscapes of armies stretching into the distance, but rather because of the number of developed, rounded characters and the way their ambitions and goals align or clash with one another. As a result, I think the pilot frames its shots very well for the most part, balancing out the more scenic compositions with a closer focus on the characters. There is some spotty CGI (the flame at the beginning, some of Bran's climbing shots) but that is a minor complaint considering just how successful they are in every other element of the mise-en-scene.

The only element that disappointed for me was an element that others have praised - the music. Unfortunately, I found it to be extremely generic, sounding like pretty much any adventure score created by a Hans Zimmer protege and hitting the predictable tones as expected (notably the first glimpse of the dead people at the camp in the woods followed that standard shock type of horror cue when it could have gone for something far more unsettling). It services the show on a basic level but it doesn't go beyond bare competency and the melodies are largely forgettable. I found myself wishing they had recruited Jeff Beal (of Carnivale and Rome) to come back to HBO and score the series. But no matter - it's not a large enough problem to do damage to the series and it's early yet. Perhaps the composer will mature along with the show.

In the context of other pilots, there are certainly ones that I have enjoyed more that work better on their own (Carnivale, Lost) but knowing just how much is necessary to set up for the stories to come, Benioff and Weiss have pulled off a major accomplishment that is equal to the two pilots mentioned above. Kudos.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 04-18-2011 at 08:57 PM..
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM
Yep JC, I agree the music was very generic.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Watched it last night, and was very impressed! Ned, Jaime, Tyrion were all fantastic. It's really going to pay off having veteran actors fill these rolls. Jaime and Tyrion especially will be very very important down the line. I seriously can't wait to see how Tyrion unfolds, since he is by far my favorite and most readers favorite character.

My only complaint is that Daenyres was under developed. They should have just waited until the second episode to introduce her character, so they could spend a few more precious minutes. They failed to get a few major points across. One that her brother beats the everliving crap out of her constantly, and two that she wasn't raped by Khal Drogo. I suppose for the sake of time they oversimplify a lot of things so I can live with it. I'm worried about her arc though since her character is VERY detached from basically everything else that is going on in the story. Also... BOOBIES!!! *drool*
Old 04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Also as a side note, it's been confirmed that Game of Thrones is already guaranteed a second season. This is great news for those of us who hate having big budget shows cancelled because they pulled in mediocre audiences. so everyone feel free to become invested in the show!

I wonder if they plan on doing one book per season?
Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Also as a side note, it's been confirmed that Game of Thrones is already guaranteed a second season. This is great news for those of us who hate having big budget shows cancelled because they pulled in mediocre audiences. so everyone feel free to become invested in the show!

Apparently, this show has already been renewed for Season 2.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:47 PM
well

"Generic" or not, I enjoyed the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTletpyuEE

Glad to hear it's been renewed. This is a show that will only get better as it goes on, from what I've gathered regarding the central plot.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post

Link please...
I follow news on this show closely and I haven't seen anything confirming this.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:20 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=game+of+thrones+season+2
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 PM
I also received news from HBO on Facebook and Game of Thrones on Facebook confirming there will be a second season.

After rewatching the episode, I've change dme tune on the music and quite enjoyed it.

As for Daenyres there is still time to develop her charater as necessary, so i would not be too worried about taht.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM
After finding some helpful info-graphics and tidbits of backstory, I feel pretty comfortable going forward. The names will be tricky for a while yet, but at least I know what's going on and how people relate to one another.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
As for Daenyres there is still time to develop her charater as necessary, so i would not be too worried about taht.
Oh for sure, I'm just worried since her character doesn't really ever intertwine with the rest of the story that they won't be able to do her justice.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:25 PM
The Daenyres storyline is pretty boring until Khal Raggat gets his golden shower

I have faith
Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FailSafe View Post
"Generic" or not, I enjoyed the music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTletpyuEE
I don't mind the main theme all that much - it's easily the strongest piece of music in the premiere, but I do have more problems with the scoring of actual scenes where I think Djawadi doesn't always convey the proper tone. The horror scene I mentioned above is one; another example is the fanfare when the king and company ride into Winterfell - it's overly pompous and cheesy. It reminds me of Nick Glennie-Smith's work a lot who I consider a passable but second-rate composer, hence the Hans Zimmer protege reference.

I don't think of it as a huge hindrance to the show - it's a minor issue and most of the time, the scoring is decent enough to not distract, but just considering the extraordinary efforts put into the rest of the show, I was hoping for something stunning, rather than something that is merely competent, especially when you contrast it with the deft and atmospheric work that Jeff Beal did for both Carnivale and Rome. Djawadi relies too heavily on the conventional idea of what a medieval adventure score should sound like for the most part in the premiere.

A few Jeff Beal cues:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T20PLsUZsZA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WKfGP67PA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyUrAjehs-w

All that said, it is early to make a final judgment of course with 9/10s of the season still to go, but I had to note my disappointment when everything else lived up to my expectations. Perhaps he's saving his best cues for the later parts of the season - I know the majority of the reviewers of the first six episodes seemed to enjoy the music (with a few detractors in the minority) and to be fair, it is still obviously far ahead of your standard TV score. I guess I'm just spoiled from the quality music in some of my favourite shows (Giacchino for Lost, Explosions in the Sky for FNL, Beal for Carnivale).

As for the Season 2 renewal - that's great news. I'm crossing my fingers that we'll at least get to see Storm of Swords play out onscreen but I'm just thankful for anything we can get.

ETA: I referenced Hans Zimmer's proteges in both this and the last post without even realizing that Ramin Djawadi actually IS one of the composers churned out by Hans Zimmer's factory. I mean, I dig Hans Zimmer but for the most part, his factory of composers are bland as hell (with the exception of Harry Gregson-Williams) and just do inferior Zimmer scores.

Last edited by JCPhoenix; 04-19-2011 at 09:47 PM..
Old 04-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Strong first episode, I've heard it only gets better from here. Another top notch HBO production with two of the most watchable actors on the planet, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:34 PM
I thought the first episode was just OK. Somewhat generic, plodding (like all HBO shows, they start slow with a lot of exposition). The only thing that stood out was the cast.

Then the last scene happened. Now they got me.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
GAME OF THRONES

What a terrific new HBO medieval fantasy series! And I'm not usually into this kinda shit! As played out by a superb cast led by Brits Sean Bean & Lena Headey, of all the epic (the most overused word of the past year) TV series of this type (Spartacus, The Tudors & Camelot), THRONES trumps them all! The opening pre-credits sequence in the pilot hooked me immediately! Wow!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 PM
As a huge fan of the books I was looking forward to this with both excitement and trepidation. The Song of Fire and Ice novels are the finest fantasy fiction i've read (including The Lord of The Rings). As far as i'm concerned they represent the high watermark below which all other great fantasy series i've read are found slightly wanting.

Then the critic's responses started to roll in and they were overwhelmingly positive. So I breathed a sigh of relief and sat down to watch the opening episode confident that it wasn't going to disappoint. It was tremendous. If I were to highlight anything that stood out it was Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage. I don't think there are two actors more perfectly suited to the characters they have been chosen to bring to life. That they stood out is testament to how perfectly cast they are. Which isn't to disparage anyone else's performance. Everyone, even the kids, are either perfect or close to being so.

Having read the books i'm obviously aware of how events will unfold. There are literally dozens of big moments from the books that i'm itching to see brought to life. Here's hoping it's a success and doesn't end up meeting the same fate as Deadwood and Rome. That would be tragic.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:32 PM
The Queen and her son can officially die now.

And the Butcher's son.....wtf man?

And I love how all the wolves protect the members of the family.

Last edited by The_Soloist; 04-24-2011 at 09:35 PM..
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 PM
The first half of this latest episode was pretty unengaging. The second half certainly grabbed my attention though.