Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 PM
vacancy: 9/10

David and Amy Fox find themselves stranded in the middle of nowhere when their car breaks down. Luckily, they come across a motel with a TV to entertain them during their overnight stay. However, there's something very strange and familiar about the Grade-Z slasher movies that the motel broadcasts for its guests' enjoyment. They all appear to be filmed in the very same room they occupy! Realizing that they are trapped in their room with hidden cameras now aimed at them filming their every move, David and Amy desperately find a means of escape through locked doors, crawlspaces and underground tunnels before they too become the newest stars of the mystery filmmaker's next cult classic!

This is my definition of a true horror movie: A movie that scares the audience with thrills and suspenseful or tense scenes. Is this a true horror movie? If yes, it's one of the best in many years. If no, it's still one of the best films ever made that can pull off the suspense.

Before saying anything else, I would like to state the beginning credit scene is so terrific! It really sets you up of what's going to happen in the next eighty minutes. Now, was this movie original? No, not at all. Honestly, there are some scenes where the characters actually do the same stupid mistakes that any other character in a horror movie does.

But that fills like, what, five percent of the movie? The other ninety five percent of it is filled with fast-paced, tense, suspenseful, or edge-of-your-seats scenes. This is what more horror movies need these days: SUSPENSE. Not cheap scares.

The movie also seems very realistic, compared to regular horror movies these days. Kate Beckinsale's performance is great, along with Luke Wilson. And being Nimród Antal's first English film, I'm sure he'll be a great filmmaker.

Sure, it's not that original, but if you are constantly being at the edge of your seats throughout the film, who would care? This made me think: Rarely any film scares me, original or not but I think Vacancy pulls it off just superbly! Yes, I'm calling this film the best horror movie of this year...so far.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM

Well going through your reviews I fell that the movie is indeed worth watching.Its been a long time that we really had some genuine horror films. By the way is it horror or suspense????
Old 09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, judging from the previews, you could say horror. You can also say it's a suspense with horror elements. I don't know. You decide but I'll go with suspense but then again, I really want it to be horror because it's one of few movies that actually scare the audience with suspense and not just cheap scares and special effects.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:28 AM
One of the most cliche horror films ever. You can easily predict pretty much everything that happens.