Old 10-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Leviathan (1989)

Directed by George P. Cosmatos

Written By David Webb Peoples

Starring: Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Amanda Pays, Daniel Stern, and Ernie Hudson

Synopsis: Underwater deep-sea miners discover a wrecked Soviet vessel and bring back a dangerous cargo to their base on the ocean floor... with terrifying results.

Released during the same year when The Abyss and DeepStar Six were released, it appears that Hollywood was suddenly overwhelmed with oceanic monsters. I don't know what I was expecting, but damn this one was bad. Not even the combined force of Robocop (Weller), Col. Samuel Trautman (Crenna), and Marv Merchants (Stern) could save this one. There's a fine line between taking inspiration from to pay tribute to a film, and stealing material from a movie and making a cheap, washed-up copy of it. To say 'Leviathan' is a poor man’s Alien would be an understatement. The films one redeeming quality is that the special effects done by Stan Winston bring back memories of John Carpenter's The Thing. Even so, the director (George P. Cosmatos) doesn't have any style or know how to direct the creature to its benefit. All-in-all, skip on this one.

Bottom Line: 1/10

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 10-06-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Old 10-06-2008, 06:22 PM
Talk about bringing back memories.

Yeah, I agree with you on this one.

The story line was bad and the movie was bad.

It seemed like someone sat down and thought the concept and then spent all night typing the script.

They were trying to compete with the Abyss. There is no comparison.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Bad but good to watch. The film obviously looks like a cross between Alien and The Thing.What Jaws did for beaches, Leviathan did for vodka. Peter Weller's quote:" Say aaahhhh motherfucker!"
Old 10-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Bad but good to watch. The film obviously looks like a cross between Alien and The Thing.What Jaws did for beaches, Leviathan did for vodka. Peter Weller's quote:" Say aaahhhh motherfucker!"

LOL!!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:30 PM
1/10 is a little harsh. Its a fun enough B-movie. Better than Deep Star Six at least.

6/10
Old 10-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Regarding the actors failing to save it, I disagree. Besides those already mentioned, it also has Winston Zedmore (Ernie Hudson) and Hector Elizonto (played by Hector Elizonto). I felt they all contributed. My only "rip-off" comparison is "Alien," and I can live with it (have not fully seen "The Abyss"). It is "Alien" underwater, and for what its worth, the underwater sequences were impressively handled. I agree, they could have shown more of the monster, as well as more attack scenes. I think this movie technically deserves some flack for taking advantage of "Alien." But I also think it has received too much flack in the long run and is under-appreciated for what it does achieve on its own. There aren't *that* many underwater-monster movies, other than the few released in 1989. This is one is watchable.

**1/2 / ****
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Perhaps I am a little harsh in my rating, a "1" is a really strong rating. However, I was very disappointed. The scenes underwater were shot effectively and the scene in which (***Minor Spoiler***) the "Leviathon" is revealed underwater was somewhat creepy (***End Spoiler***). However, the film greedily takes from "Alien", "The Thing", and the like, in a fashion that annoyed me rather quickly. Even Peter Weller's final sendoff ("Say 'Ahhh!' Motherfucker!") did nothing but remind me of Kurt Russell's ("Yeah, fuck you too!") in The Thing. I will admit that 1/10 is pretty harsh and perhaps the movie deserves a bump of a few points as well as a re-watch after the movie has sat with me. However, as a B movie, I don't find "Leviathan" to be anything special, effects by Stan Winston aside. As mentioned above, it did feel as if the screenplay was rushed and written in an afternoon to meet a deadline. There wasn't anything that inventive or experimental about it, in fact it seemed like the filmmakers didn't even know what they wanted the movies creature to be. However, this is just my opinion, and like all opinions it is subjest to change, so it's possible my opinion could alter after a second viewing with the appropriate expectations. After all, I hated "American Beauty" the first time I saw it and now I think it's great.

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 10-06-2008 at 11:17 PM..
Old 10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Yes, one of the many alien underwater films that were released during 1989. The others being the horrendously horrible Deepstar Six and the forgettable Lords of the Deep. All of these films were in retrospect, trying to cash in on the success of The Abyss. However, I rather enjoyed Leviathan. Sure it was a ripoff of Alien and the monster looked incredibly stupid at some points, but at the end of the day my tastes were satisified. Plus, the cast alone makes the movie bearable. Peter Weller, Richard Crenna, Amanda Pays (yummy!!!!,) Daniel Stern, and Ernie Hudson, you just can't go wrong with that cast. Also, some of the creature effects were surpisingly well done by the late great Stan Winston.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Hahaha. Deep Star Six is on TV right now. Man this is one boring, average flick. Its one of those movies thats just "there."
Old 10-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
Peter Weller's quote:" Say aaahhhh motherfucker!"
You don't mess with Robocop.

I enjoyed this move 6/10 Love listening to the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack
Old 10-07-2008, 05:21 PM

I'm not into Deep Sea Behemoth films much,but from the sounds of it,it may of been appreciated more had it been released a year before The Abyss,a film I could never quite sit through.

Nice title though.