Old 09-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Gotham

Was wondering if anyone else caught the premier and what they thought of it? I watched it and really enjoyed it. Will definitely watch it again and follow the series. One thing I've seen on some discussion boards is that some people keep bringing up Batman. In case it's not apparent, the show is PRE-Batman and focuses primarily on (Detective) Jim Gordon. Can't understand why some people just can't get that.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:37 AM
I thought it was great. Loved the noir feel, and it looked fantastic. I also liked that they introduced a bunch of the villains already.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 AM
It's not great and by the time Jim Gordon was captured it was starting to get really silly and I was really not liking it. But the last 10 minutes saved it. Now I'm intrigued enough to continue to watch for now, at least.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 AM
The writing is pretty bad, and the obviousness of each villain was pretty silly. But the good outweighed the bad, and I'll definitely check out another ep or two.
Old 09-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Yeah I loved the style, but the dialogue and all the name dropping pissed me off..will watch a couple more episodes to decide if I'll keep watching
Old 09-25-2014, 01:17 AM
From what I've read it gets better.

That being said, they need to take a breath, and not attempt to cram every Batman reference and potential plotline as possible into the story before the first episode is done.

The overall plot suffers as a result. It's akin to running through a museum.

That being said, I thought the casting was quite well done, as both chemistry and charisma are readily apparent from many of the on screen characters. Beyond that, this series certainly has the look and feel of Gotham city down, and it seems to be more in line with the exaggerated art deco styles of Burton's forays into the Batman mythology. I like it.

Last edited by outsyder; 09-25-2014 at 01:21 AM..
Old 09-26-2014, 10:05 AM
Spoiler:
Wild guess here, but I'm guessing the killer in this show is either Bane or Mr. Freeze
Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 PM
Messy pilot. The dialogue is atrocious, the name dropping reeked of desperate fan service, and a handful of unbearably stupid, cringe-inducing and silly moments. I also don't like that Gotham is set in the present day, with cell phones and contemporary music. Whatever.

Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue (who I've always been a fan of), as well as the show's production design, were the highlights. I'll continue to watch for now, but my expectations have been tempered.

Strider
Old 09-30-2014, 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Messy pilot. The dialogue is atrocious, the name dropping reeked of desperate fan service, and a handful of unbearably stupid, cringe-inducing and silly moments. I also don't like that Gotham is set in the present day, with cell phones and contemporary music. Whatever.

Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue (who I've always been a fan of), as well as the show's production design, were the highlights. I'll continue to watch for now, but my expectations have been tempered.

Strider
Exactly how I felt
Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
A decent second episode with "Selina Kyle". While the premiere served as a grand introduction to the Batman mythology, this episode was more of a stand-alone story while still being contained within the world of Gotham. Still awaiting to see if/when a young Bruce Wayne and Selina will meet.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:25 PM
I didn't like the pilot episode but the second episode was much better.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:29 AM
I can't remember the last time I watched a show that felt was so hampered by the writing/dialogue. It's THAT bad. In episode 2, I honestly found myself really enjoying everything about where the stories were going..and then someone would talk.
Old 10-01-2014, 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I can't remember the last time I watched a show that felt was so hampered by the writing/dialogue. It's THAT bad. In episode 2, I honestly found myself really enjoying everything about where the stories were going..and then someone would talk.
Even as a huge Batman fan, I have to admit the dialogue is a little clunky. The second episode fares much better in that department than the first, but there's still some fine tuning to be done. That's alright though, as long as the quality continues to improve.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Frank Whaley sighting!
Old 10-04-2014, 03:18 AM
The Good - I like actors & the characters they portray. Jada Pinkett Smith certainly steals the show. The fanfare is fun.

The Bad - Horrible dialog & writing in general. Everything seems to be moving too fast, yet never really covering much ground. The cinematography is pretty bad as well, with the actors constantly being evenly lit. This show needs deep dramatic lighting, not sitcom lighting. The light on the actors never really matches the environment they are in. The backgrounds seem to be moody, dramatic, and full of shadows, but the actors are as unnaturally bright & flat as can be.

So far, not nearly as good as Arrow or even Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:44 AM
I figured out what irked me so much on episode two as I rewatched it the other night; watching John Doman (Rawles in THE WIRE) recite Gotham's dialogue has me clearly seeing how spoiled I am writing-wise with the shows I tend to watch.

Is this generally how network shows compare? I'm not even being facetious. I stopped with Extant after 2 eps because of the writing, this hasn't started out great, last network series I really tried was Lost and Heroes and the wheels fell off both after a few seasons.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:46 AM
And I clearly understand the fundamental differences a network show HAS to possess; it has to appeal to the widest possible audience because networks only exist to sell products and the networks dictate every minute aspect.

But all these shows are pulling talent from the same pools.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I figured out what irked me so much on episode two as I rewatched it the other night; watching John Doman (Rawles in THE WIRE) recite Gotham's dialogue has me clearly seeing how spoiled I am writing-wise with the shows I tend to watch.

Is this generally how network shows compare? I'm not even being facetious. I stopped with Extant after 2 eps because of the writing, this hasn't started out great, last network series I really tried was Lost and Heroes and the wheels fell off both after a few seasons.

Most network shows don't start out great. They need to dump exposition, they need to draw people in, etc etc.

That being said, most networks shows don't end up having great writing at any point, but those that do usually need a bit of time to find a rhythm.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Network shows almost always suffer from these problems, the only notable exception being Hannibal.

After all the hate, I guess I had relatively low expectations, cuz I haven't thought its been that bad thus far (grant it, I am a huge Donal Logue Fan. Terriers, anyone?). Sure, the dialogue isn't very good, but this is FOX we're talking about here. This also isn't Chris Nolan.

My issues lie more with the huge timeshift in canon, i.e. Bullock being the veteran cop to young Gordon. (Also, wouldn't Renee Montoya and her partners have been kids when Gordon was first starting off in Gotham?). I've always championed the idea of a Gotham Central TV series, but obviously, like the comic it'd be based on, Batman would very much already be in existence.

Also, one of the reasons I did finally watch this is because one of the actors in the film me and my friend are filming in NYC is Donal Logue's stand in for this series. He says Logue is awesome and has been incredibly supportive. I like when my preconceptions about people being cool is right

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 10-06-2014 at 12:50 PM..
Old 10-06-2014, 02:28 PM
It would never happen, seeing as it would fail to resist the urge to focus on Batman, but a Gotham series based around an everyman character or low level cop during Batman's escapades could be really cool.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Hey, y'all.
Watched the first episode and I didn't hate it like a CW super hero show that's been on (how, I don't know) and I don't mean the Flash (I liked that one)
It does seem rushed, cramming as many characters in as possible and focusing on a guy who back in the 60's depended on Chief O Hara to back him up.
Not giving up on it just yet.
And Jada Pinkett Smith is f-ing hot.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:49 PM
I watched the 1st 2 episodes so far n have the 3rd in dvr... I really want to enjoy this show but so far the writing is just god awful.

I will stick with it another few epa.. but if it doesnt vastly improve I will be jumping ship!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
Hey, y'all.
Watched the first episode and I didn't hate it like a CW super hero show that's been on (how, I don't know) and I don't mean the Flash (I liked that one)
It does seem rushed, cramming as many characters in as possible and focusing on a guy who back in the 60's depended on Chief O Hara to back him up.
Not giving up on it just yet.
And Jada Pinkett Smith is f-ing hot.
I hope you are not referring to Arrow because that's one of my favorite shows and I think it's way better than Gotham or Agents of SHIELD. Or really any superhero show in a long time.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Yeah this show sucks.

Which puts the number of new good shows this fall at zero. For me anyway.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post
Yeah this show sucks.

Which puts the number of new good shows this fall at zero. For me anyway.
Have you tried The Flash? Scorpion? Forever?

I haven't seen them yet, but I have heard good things about How To Get Away with Murder and Showtime's The Affair.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
Have you tried The Flash? Scorpion? Forever?

I haven't seen them yet, but I have heard good things about How To Get Away with Murder and Showtime's The Affair.

I've heard decent things about Murder, but I just don't have much interest in it. I do however think that a new show that isn't about a doctor, lawyer, cop, or superhero is a good thing. Explore some new territory.

The Affair seems to be getting good attention so I might give it a shot.

As for the rest I haven't heard or seen anything that would make me want to watch it.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
I hope you are not referring to Arrow because that's one of my favorite shows and I think it's way better than Gotham or Agents of SHIELD. Or really any superhero show in a long time.

Tried watching it from episode one, didn't like the reformed story and can't stand the lead actor.
Gave up after the first season.
My friends dig it though.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsyder View Post

The Affair seems to be getting good attention so I might give it a shot.
Yeah check it out. A small The Wire reunion.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:18 PM
This show isn't anywhere near greatness, but it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be. Arrow is more solid, IMO, and that's coming from a Batman die-hard who wants to love Gotham more. I think the show needs to dial down the obvious references and find its footing. Once it does that, it should be smooth sailing for at least a couple more seasons.