#321  
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 PM

I definitely wouldn't call it the best episode ever, but it was damn funny. I can't stand Harley drivers either.


Easily the best ep of the new season. (or second half of the season...whatever)
Reply With Quote
  #322  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:03 PM
At least we're all in agreement it's the best of the season.
Reply With Quote
  #323  
Old 11-05-2009, 05:25 PM
It was a good episode, but it lacked near the end.

It is funny when you consider how words have changed from their original meaning though.

I still feel the wrestling episode or the one where Butters becomes a pimp were the best so far.
Reply With Quote
  #324  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Quality episode... the Rubbling they did for their bikes was hilarious... but nothing had me laughing like when Cartman was singing Poker Face last week, that alone makes last weeks my favorite of the new run, Cartman doing poker face had me in tears. But i did like this episode, and the core meaning of it, that Fag is a word that means someone/ thing that is supremely annoying or douchey!
Reply With Quote
  #325  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 AM
This pretty much sums up how I feel about bikers. Well, the loud ones, anyway (seriously, does it need to be so loud it shatters windows?).

But I thought it kinda went overboard on the word "fag." I know what they were getting at, but I just don't think it's okay.
Reply With Quote
  #326  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM
The Emmanuel Lewis reveal was the best part (even though his voice sounded more like Gary Coleman's ).
Reply With Quote
  #327  
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Great episode, i lost count how many times they said fag. I actually live only 2 doors down from a biker hangout i too am well aware of these fags and how annoying they can be.

"they say they aren't fags then why do they keep acting like fags?"

"I don't know man i'm totally confused."

Reply With Quote
  #328  
Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I feel they're getting more esoteric with their points. The Japanese whaling episode was bizarre and pretty boring if you don't know anything about that topic or those weird reality shows they were spoofing. There are virtually no bikers where I live, so this week's episode didn't resonate with me very much. I still thought it was very funny, though, especially the explanation of why biker's do what they do, and thier obliviousness about why people (apparently?) hate them ("they're around loud stuff all day! we need to be even louder!). I always like it when the boys are voices of reason.
Reply With Quote
  #329  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:28 PM
The best scene was in the library when they had to use their "inside voices."

I used to work on Wednesday nights and down the street was a bar that had "Biker night" every Wednesday for most of the year. And all night there would be these weekend warrior, pseudo tough guys roaring down the street in their insanely loud choppers. But just to look at them, you could tell that 90% of them where just attention whores and that most of them were probably doctors and lawyers and not real bikers (based on the number of bikes that easily cost over 40 grand).

Sure enough, they always had to rev their bikes as they cruised by the box office, for no other reason than to infuriate the people in line.
Reply With Quote
  #330  
Old 11-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Loved the episode but

The writing just wasn't their sharpest. I know it's comedy and satire, but the ideas South Park puts out through its comedy are often serious. If they were actually suggesting that "fag" can still be used under new definition, it's a moronic point. The same could be said decades ago for nigger. The reason these words carry the kick they do is because of their background. Just because you're reapplying contexts or wishy washy definitions doesn't make anything okay.

I can imagine the same exchange happenings decades ago during the rise of civil rights. South Park to the rescue. People like saying it too much to actually stop. But that's okay. That's okay because it doesn't mean a black person anymore. When someone cuts you off in traffic, what do you think? Nigger! It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. Now it means douchebag!

Stupid point. Stupid message.

Funny episode.
Reply With Quote
  #331  
Old 11-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
The writing just wasn't their sharpest. I know it's comedy and satire, but the ideas South Park puts out through its comedy are often serious. If they were actually suggesting that "fag" can still be used under new definition, it's a moronic point. The same could be said decades ago for nigger. The reason these words carry the kick they do is because of their background. Just because you're reapplying contexts or wishy washy definitions doesn't make anything okay.

I can imagine the same exchange happenings decades ago during the rise of civil rights. South Park to the rescue. People like saying it too much to actually stop. But that's okay. That's okay because it doesn't mean a black person anymore. When someone cuts you off in traffic, what do you think? Nigger! It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. Now it means douchebag!

Stupid point. Stupid message.

Funny episode.


I actually pretty much agree with that. I know what they were trying to say, I just didn't agree with it.


But yeah, overall still a very funny episode.
Reply With Quote
  #332  
Old 11-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
The writing just wasn't their sharpest. I know it's comedy and satire, but the ideas South Park puts out through its comedy are often serious. If they were actually suggesting that "fag" can still be used under new definition, it's a moronic point. The same could be said decades ago for nigger. The reason these words carry the kick they do is because of their background. Just because you're reapplying contexts or wishy washy definitions doesn't make anything okay.

I can imagine the same exchange happenings decades ago during the rise of civil rights. South Park to the rescue. People like saying it too much to actually stop. But that's okay. That's okay because it doesn't mean a black person anymore. When someone cuts you off in traffic, what do you think? Nigger! It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. Now it means douchebag!

Stupid point. Stupid message.

Funny episode.
I think you are reading too much into it but I see what you are saying.

The whole episode was just a satire on a bad word and how its meaning has changed throughout history. Its so ridiculous and over the top you cant take it seriously.

I would strongly advise to not call anyone a "faggot" especially some Hells Angels' bikers.

Same goes for the Christopher Reeves/stem cell episode. Some people were outraged that they thought Trey and Matt were actually againist stem cell research when thats actually not true. They just thought it was a funny/outrageous idea to have Superman suck the brains out of dead fetuses and the only guy that can stop him is Gene Hackman. Probably one of their best episodes IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #333  
Old 11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
The writing just wasn't their sharpest. I know it's comedy and satire, but the ideas South Park puts out through its comedy are often serious. If they were actually suggesting that "fag" can still be used under new definition, it's a moronic point. The same could be said decades ago for nigger. The reason these words carry the kick they do is because of their background. Just because you're reapplying contexts or wishy washy definitions doesn't make anything okay.

I can imagine the same exchange happenings decades ago during the rise of civil rights. South Park to the rescue. People like saying it too much to actually stop. But that's okay. That's okay because it doesn't mean a black person anymore. When someone cuts you off in traffic, what do you think? Nigger! It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. Now it means douchebag!

Stupid point. Stupid message.

Funny episode.
I think this is much more reactionary, as opposed to your hypothetical nigger situation. People use the word "fag" for a lot of things now... not sure where it started, to be honest. SP is hyperbolizing it because it's something that is already generally accepted (not that it's ok to use the word, but that it doesn't automatically have homosexual connotations). I don't think nigger is used except in relation to black people, and I don't think trying to change that is a stance South Park would take. It's a satire, not a serious attempt to change the language of our society.
Reply With Quote
  #334  
Old 11-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I've ridden since I was seven. I had a Honda 50cc dirt bike. I've loved riding since then. My Sportster was quieter than a lot of Japanese bikes. I don't ride to make noise or get attention. I ride because it's a great experience for me. I love to ride. I'd ride to work most days if I had my bike now. They're a lot more efficient to drive than a car and easier to find a parking spot for. Cheaper on insurance too.

I sold my last bike last year because I took a 30 percent pay cut and I needed to pay bills. I miss it. I'll pick up another one when I can afford it. It will more than likely be a Harley Davidson.

The people I've actually ridden with are the salt of the Earth. They do charity drives and rides for medical research (bikers for babies is a huge event in Kansas City), they pass the hat during the holidays and they give generously when people need the help. Most bikers I know will lend a hand no matter who needs the help. That so many people assume most bikers are attention whores or inconsiderate absolutely blows my mind. It's sterotypical and outright stupid.

Better luck next episode, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #335  
Old 11-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post

Same goes for the Christopher Reeves/stem cell episode. Some people were outraged that they thought Trey and Matt were actually againist stem cell research when thats actually not true. They just thought it was a funny/outrageous idea to have Superman suck the brains out of dead fetuses and the only guy that can stop him is Gene Hackman. Probably one of their best episodes IMO.


As I recall, there was an episode before the Christopher Reeves episode that was very pro stem cell research. I have to admit, I did cringe while watching the "Superman" one.
Reply With Quote
  #336  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
As I recall, there was an episode before the Christopher Reeves episode that was very pro stem cell research. I have to admit, I did cringe while watching the "Superman" one.
Screamer you are definitely right. In season 5, Cartman fights for Kenny's life when he speaks before Congress in favor of stem cell research (and got all of them to sing Asia's "Heat of the Moment").
Reply With Quote
  #337  
Old 11-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Don't worry levelheaded schmoes: I'm not just winding up for a long winded rant.

Fag is not generally accepted and nigger did have a period of evolving definition where it tried going after a generally negative connotation instead of a specifically black negative connotation. That's what happens with these words. That's their development. Nigger was eventually empowered into the black community's vocabulary with slight variations like nigga, and there's a good chance fag will do something similar (it might also be more inclusive to people of all sexual orientation since homophobia, however violent, hasn't the momentous background of racism). What South Park was suggesting if serious was juvenile and stupid imo.

From what I understand, you schmoes agree with me. "If the observation was put out there in any serious way". Best I can tell it was a serious observation insofar as anything in South Park is a serious observation, as far as the stupid spoiled whore video play set was a "serious" observation. I don't feel that my point is excused just because the writers obviously aren't setting out to change the very landscape of our culture. I'm posting this point of mine "seriously", but just because I'm doing it on an internet messageboard, and am prepared to let it drop in 3, 2, 1 doesn't mean my point can't be taken plainly.

However lightly South Park made its point, I'm just as lightly raising issue with that point. That's all.
Reply With Quote
  #338  
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I don't think that the purpose of the episode was to suggest that it's okay to go around calling everyone "fags." I think the purpose was to suggest how silly it is that we get all worked up over words that evolve and take on new meanings all the time. To the average American boy, "fag" has become synonymous with the word lame. I think the point is that people who lash out at children for using the word gay or fag to describe something that is lame or uncool are just as wrong as those who use the word in a hateful manner.
Language is fickle and changes all the time. Words hold no power; only the intentions behind them are important. I think that a rational discussion about the use of the word is more appropriate than the banning of speech.

This isn't a new concept for South Park. They did an episode where the word "nigger" was uttered by Randy on Wheel of Fortune, and became a new slur against those perceived as bigots. Other episodes have touched on this idea as well.

I would discourage the widespread use of the word "fag" because it leads to a negative climate for homosexuals, whether that is the intent or not; however, I agree with the general message that we shouldn't let words have so much control over us. I think Matt and Trey would agree with that too...
Reply With Quote
  #339  
Old 11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
The writing just wasn't their sharpest. I know it's comedy and satire, but the ideas South Park puts out through its comedy are often serious. If they were actually suggesting that "fag" can still be used under new definition, it's a moronic point. The same could be said decades ago for nigger. The reason these words carry the kick they do is because of their background. Just because you're reapplying contexts or wishy washy definitions doesn't make anything okay.

I can imagine the same exchange happenings decades ago during the rise of civil rights. South Park to the rescue. People like saying it too much to actually stop. But that's okay. That's okay because it doesn't mean a black person anymore. When someone cuts you off in traffic, what do you think? Nigger! It has nothing to do with the color of their skin. Now it means douchebag!

Stupid point. Stupid message.

Funny episode.

Doesn't the word NIGGER in its Textbook meaning simply mean: Ignorant?... if so, your point missed the mark, unless your point was to precisely pin point the meaning of this episode of South Park, as that word has been transformed from its original meaning, of an ignorant person, to now be a derogatory statement for Black People!

The same way the word Fag has been transformed!

Hell our entire English language is based off of words being Derived from other words and changing meanings over the years!

Last edited by SkyNet; 11-07-2009 at 09:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #340  
Old 11-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I think the point is a) words' meanings can change over time (I mean, who immediately associates the word 'gay' with 'happy' anymore?), and b) the more you hear/use a word, the more banal it becomes (at this point in my life, 'fuck' is on the same wavelength as any of its other euphemisms).
Reply With Quote
  #341  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNet View Post
Doesn't the word NIGGER in its Textbook meaning simply mean: Ignorant?
Not at all, it's a variation of the words "negre" and "negro" which are french and spanish words for "black"...
Reply With Quote
  #342  
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai Mai Jew View Post
Not at all, it's a variation of the words "negre" and "negro" which are french and spanish words for "black"...
I was always under the assumption it was simply a mash up of the words negro and ignorant, as in to say an ignorant black person. But that was of course an assumption that i never bothered to find out about either way.
Reply With Quote
  #343  
Old 11-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Quote:
1313 - Dances with Smurfs

Eric Cartman seizes the opportunity to become the voice of change at the school when he takes over the morning announcements. His target is South Park Elementary's Student Body President, Wendy Testaburger. Cartman is asking the tough questions and gaining followers.
Sounds good and if this pic is any indication it should be great!

Reply With Quote
  #344  
Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Does anyone here know how I can get my hands on Cartman's Poker Face? I would love that to be my ringtone.
Reply With Quote
  #345  
Old 11-12-2009, 01:10 AM

Holy fuck another great episode. Everything about it was great.

Everything from that Casey Kasem kid, to Cartman being Glenn Beck, killing Smurfs and even an Avatar mention at the end.
Reply With Quote
  #346  
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 AM

Good episode. My only slight problem is that Glen Beck parodies have been done to death by now... maybe if this was the first episode of the new season it would seemed a little more fresh. Still, pretty funny.
Reply With Quote
  #347  
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Loved everything especially the Glen Beck parodies, but most of all the Dancing with Smurfs and how they basically lashed out at James Cameron for stealing the entire story-line.
Reply With Quote
  #348  
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
I think Butters exemplified the teabaggers perfectly.
Reply With Quote
  #349  
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 PM
oh man...... the most twisted opening for an episode, ever. Great episode.

edit: Pls tell me Butter peeing on Wendy's house is some sort of satire on real events caused by political ignorance

Last edited by vesaker; 11-12-2009 at 09:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #350  
Old 11-14-2009, 06:34 PM
Tied with Whale Whores as the best of the new bunch yet.
Reply With Quote
  #351  
Old 11-14-2009, 07:43 PM
strong throughout, and most impressively, in many different ways. The opening was just brutal and twisted. The Beck stuff was nice satire (I know it's done to death, but somehow when Cartman is involved, it still feels fresh). And the Avatar part was great and completely unexpected (who would've thought a political satire episode would take a shot at James Cameron?).

Best episode in a while I feel.
Reply With Quote
  #352  
Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Well that was racial..... like, literally haha
Reply With Quote
  #353  
Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 AM
It was okay. Cartman's constant racism really isn't funny anymore; it's actually pretty tiresome.

The disaster movie cliches were pretty good, but over all just an average episode.
Reply With Quote
  #354  
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
I actually thought Cartman's stuff was pretty funny. Yeah, we know he's racist, and he's been that way for over 10 years, but I thought the context and the responses from the other boys made that whole thing work ("I've never seen you do so much math before," the whole ignorance about white people being the minority because of the amount of "minorities" at Pi Pi's, the song... those were nice twists to his racism).

Overall though, not a very strong episode. Kind of gross, actually.
Reply With Quote
  #355  
Old 11-19-2009, 11:00 AM
I thought the funniest part was Randy Marsh's reaction when he was getting pissed on. He's so clutch.
Reply With Quote
  #356  
Old 11-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
I thought the funniest part was Randy Marsh's reaction when he was getting pissed on. He's so clutch.
That was great! Randy is definitely my favorite character.
Reply With Quote
  #357  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:42 PM
I wonder if they ever considered the reason the monkeys were acting violently was BECAUSE THEY WERE GETTING PISSED ON!
Reply With Quote
  #358  
Old 11-19-2009, 09:30 PM
"yes i tested the Ph lvl's this morning"

"yes, and?"

"and it was all P and no h!"

Reply With Quote
  #359  
Old 11-21-2009, 12:11 AM
Cartman's song was the definite highlight. Otherwise a very weak episode with no real point to it. Randy is usually great, here he was just 'meh'. A pretty weak way to end the season.

The first half was much stronger than the second of this season.
Reply With Quote
  #360  
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Damn and it's over already Hopefully they come back for some more next season.

My fav had to be either The Ring, Fishsticks or Butter's Bottom Bitch, can't decide which is the best, heh.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump