Old 10-14-2008, 07:43 PM
Eagle Eye: 6/10

Jerry and Rachel are two strangers thrown together by a mysterious phone call from a woman they have never met. Threatening their lives and family, she pushes Jerry and Rachel into a series of increasingly dangerous situations, using the technology of everyday life to track and control their every move.

In my opinion, I found the teaser trailer of "Eagle Eye" one of the best trailers I've ever seen in my entire life. It was like "Cloverfield": The trailers show little to nothing yet they want to make you see more, because, seriously, the trailer for "Eagle Eye" doesn't show jack. Well, that's the problem. Yeah, I agree that trailers aren't supposed to spoil a movie *cough*Quarantine, Alien vs. Predator: Requiem*cough* and "Eagle Eye" makes a perfect example to make an audience want more of what they're given. However, you don't know what to expect from a movie that gives you little information. What you find out in this movie will either make you happy, or make you disappointed.

Well, I was happy. From the get go, I knew a movie like this would need a suspension of disbelief but I didn't know how much until twenty minutes into the movie. At first, I was NOT going along with it at all. I was laughing inside my head about how preposterous, ridiculous, and highly improbable this movie is. But somehow (impossibly, I must admit), I managed to pull myself together and go along with the ride. However, this film is more or less quite boring. I mean, the trailer was nothing like this movie. I expected more "umph" or energy put into this.

One big problem with this movie is that, with an exception of the supporting actors, I never felt threat for the protagonists, much like "Journey to the Center of the Earth." With all of these "obey or die" sorts of threats, the whole situation never felt dangerous until the last twenty minutes of the film. But of course, a person like me would shrug that off. Another problem is at first, the film would be a kinetic thrill ride. The next, it would change into a boring "we must pursuit the people" type of film. What I'm basically trying to say is that the pacing is all over the place.

It's true when they say this movie borrows heavily from other films but I appreciated the originality put into this film. It's true when they say this movie has really big plot holes, similar to the complaints from the airplane thriller, "Flightplan" (although I'm one of the few who actually loved it) but I somehow also tolerated those as well. The performances by the two leads, Shia LaBeouf and Michelle Monaghan are good enough. Everyone else in the supporting cast is good enough.

One of the very *few* things I appreciated about this movie was the message it was trying to say about our society and you might think, "Huh? This isn't one of those brainless popcorn movies?" but you'll change your mind after seeing this movie. I also appreciated that this is not just another dumb, mindless film and that the filmmakers actually try to put some intelligence behind the script. Overall, this film could have, I mean, should have, been better from what the trailer made it out to be. It's a very flawed but *mostly* entertaining film nonetheless. Just go in there with low expectations because that's usually how you would enjoy every film you watch.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 AM
This movie is basically a combination of Enemy of the State, Die Hard with a Vengeance and I, Robot. Not that that's a bad thing, but there are a lot of elements from those movies in this one. It's a very cool thriller with enough action, suspense, and one-liners to keep me interested throughout. Not the most original movie, but a fun popcorn movie nonetheless.

7/10
Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicwizguy View Post
One of the very *few* things I appreciated about this movie was the message it was trying to say about our society and you might think, "Huh? This isn't one of those brainless popcorn movies?" but you'll change your mind after seeing this movie.
i saw the movie and hated it. what the hell was the message?
Old 12-13-2008, 11:58 PM
Well, I see it as humans rely too much on technology, not realizing it might turn on us, but that's the obvious one. Another is that we are so afraid and paranoid about terrorism in the future that almost in every street, there's a camera watching you in the corner. Literally, you can be seen everywhere in a security camera because of the fear of another attack in the U.S.