Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 AM
Past Tense

This week we get fingered, but it's okay, we get pie afterwards in "Pushing Daisies"...

"Pushing Daisies: The Complete First Season" was released on home video on September 16th, 2008.

It streeted against "The Breakfast Club: Flashback Edition", "Weird Science: Flashback Edition", "Sixteen Candles: Flashback Edition" and "I See You.com".

This release originally came with an embossed cardboard slipcover which was different from the case's wraparound. One of the few titles in my collection which has this. The DVD's cover was unconventional. The front (reads; "The Pie Hole" with a drawn, mustached man eating a slice) and rear is the menu featured from the eatery in the show. Only on the binder does it indicate what the release is. The DVD case is transparent; in the underside is a dirty pie eaten placemat. Each of the three discs has a different pie image. There was an insert, a four page folding booklet - a mock diner menu; episode guide and special features listed; pretty inventive packaging.

- - -

There was a single exclusive from Target, a ten page recipe booklet. The limited edition insert has eight recipes; peach cobbler, fresh strawberry pie, triple berry pie, three plum pie, apple chedder cheese pie, sweet potato pie, fresh rhubarb pie and the Pie Hole's flaky pie crust (recipes from allrecipes.com). This set sold for $22.99.

Before you ask. Nope, didn't, I can't cook.

- - - - - - - - - -

Notes.

It sucks that the (ABC) series had such a short life. Season one was nine episodes (because of the 2007 Writers Guild Of America strike) and season two (also on DVD) had thirteen. There were rumors that the cliffhanger ending would get resolved with a comic book or a movie, but nether materialized. I do appreciate that a second (though abbreviated) season happened, but I do wish for more adventures.

There was some talk about having one of the characters appear on "Heroes" (NBC) which made perfect sense; both shows were written by Bryan Fuller ("Pushing Daisies" series creator). But that didn't happen either, probably due to legal reasons. Too bad, it fit.

I should, since not many/enough saw this inventive show. You should, damn good!

This is about a fellow named Ned (Lee Pace), he has a special gift. He can bring back the dead, but there's a catch. A single touch from him, resurrects, but a second will kill - forever, no resuscitation. There is another string, if that person/animal isn't touched again within sixty seconds, the universe will perform a balance; someone else must die; a death for a life. Ned discovered his unique talent when his dog, Digby dies after being hit by a truck. His beloved pet returns, but now must NEVER touch it again, making that canine an immortal.

Things get complicated when his mother dies from an aneurysm, Ned brings her back, but sixty seconds later, the neighbor died, the father of his best friend/childhood sweetheart - the girl he would've married. A loss for all since his mom kissed him goodnight that evening and died once more, forever.

Ned grew into a shy man, a baker. But his pastry diner, "The Pie Hole" is having a hard time keeping its door open. It's a niché restaurant. His salvation comes from a cop, Emerson Cod (Chi McBride) who accidentally witness his resurrection ability and offers Ned a proposal, an equal split; go into the detective business. Bring back the dead, ask them how they died - who killed them, touch them again and get the reward. Pretty simple and for a time it was an easy venture. That is until Ned saw her...

In the funeral parlor he sees his one true love, Charlotte "Chuck" Charles (Anna Friel) dead. She drowned on a cruise. To have once again, even at that price? Ned touches her - just once... some else dies.

The series follows this trio as they continue the business, restaurant and private investigation, helping people get closure. And the bizarre lives our heroes lead (the lovers who's desires must remain unrequited). The show breaks into three different storylines each week that converge at the end, complicated storytelling. The other thing that set this apart from other series is the look, the art direction. Think of it as a mish-mash of Dr. Seuss and something that would've come from Tim Burton. It's a distinctive look (as you can see from the pixs).

- - -

Now you may be a bit bummed on how short these two past entries are/were; meat and potatoes posts. I have my reasons.

Last month I mapped out half of this year - what exclusives to be written. And I finished gathering the info (and pixs) for a mega post. Nearly every major store had an exclusive for this movie. So huge, it took nearly six months of researching - off and on, since it felt way too big for one sitting, it was. This will run from March through April, eight PT entries. Excited?

That's not all.

I'm nearly done with a post that took three months of work; too much info to sort (kept finding more items), but it's nearly done with scans. *smiles*

Beyond July?

I'm still working on that. We'll see. Though I do see a door opening, a different kind of exclusive to write about.

- - - - - - - - - -

Just Because.

Anna Friel as Chuck.

Kristen Chenoweth as Olive Snook. She's an older woman, but you can still see that when she was young, she was hottie.

Next post begins the biggest entry in Past Tense history, see you here on March 14th, 2013.

Last edited by JohnIan; 02-28-2013 at 02:36 AM..
Old 03-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Target - March 5th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

The Notebook
The Princess Bride: 25th Anniversary Edition
(additional titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

The Hunger Games
The Perks Of Being A Wallflower

- - - - - - - - - - -

Game Of Thrones: Season 2 $29.99
Smash: Season 1 $22.99
Weeds: Season 8 $19.99
Dallas: Season 1 (reboot) $21.99
Family Guy: Volume 10 $19.99
Doctor Who: Series 7 - Part 1 $13.99
Dexter: Season 6 $22.99
Shameless: Season 2 $21.99

- - - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CDs

"Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell And Angels" with two exclusive bonus tracks
"Shake It Up 3- Soundtrack" with three exclusive bonus tracks

There was no listing for the horror film, "The Bay" in their ad, which is my only target this week. I'll buy it elsewhere.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:07 AM
Best Buy - March 5th, 2013

...Free, exclusive plush chick from the movie "Hop" with the purchase of $7.99 or more on select titles - which titles? Good question.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 Extended Edition

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVD

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

4 Film Favorites - Urban Life: New Jack City/Menace II Society/Set It Off/ATL
4 Film Favorites - Friends Forever: Now And Then/Divine Secrets Of The Ya-Ya Sisterhood/The Women/Sex And The City
4 Film Favorites - Eddie Murphy: Coming To America/Harlem Nights/Boomerang/Norbit
4 Film Favorites - Ben Stiller: Zoolander/Envy/The Heartbreak Kid/Tropic Thunder
4 Film Favorites - John Travolta: Face/Off /The General's Daughter/Swordfish/Domestic Disturbance
4 Film Favorites - Robert Redford: Jeremiah Johnson/The Great Gatsby/All the President's Men/Indecent Proposal
4 Film Favorites - Richard Gere: American Gigolo/An Officer And A Gentleman/Sommersby/Nights in Rodanthe

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Duck Dynasty: Season 2 - Volume 1 $9.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 1 $9.99
The Universe: Colonizing Space $7.99
The Universe: Space Threats $7.99
The Universe: Our Solar System $11.99
The Universe: Seasons 1 - 4 $24.99 (each)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 CD

"Jimi Hendrix - People, Hell And Angels" with exclusive t-shirt and guitar pick tin

This too has no listing for "The Bay"; checked their website, it will sell for $24.99 (DVD) - not much of a bargin.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 AM
Target - March 12th, 2013

$12.99 CD

"Mindless Behavior - All Around The World" deluxe edition with 4 exclusive bonus songs and remix download code (five different covers)

It's a super turbo crappy week for store releases.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 AM
Best Buy - March 12th, 2013

Life Of Pi
Exclusive offer; Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack (Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray 3D/DVD/Digital Copy) - ebook cash for the novel $27.99

Les Misérables
Exclusive steelbook with pre-order; Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo

- - - - - - - - - - -

Ripper Street: Season 1 $17.99
The Closer: Season 7 $19.99
Californication: Season 5 $22.99
Shameless: Season 2 $24.99
Dexter: Season 6 $27.99
30 Rock: Season 6 $27.99
Grimm: Season 1 $27.99
The Walking Dead: Season 2 $32.99
Game Of Thrones: Season 2 $37.99
The Closer: Season 7 $19.99
Shameless: Season 2 $24.99
30 Rock: Season 6 $27.99
Friends: Seasons 1 or 10 $9.99 (each)
Full House: Season 1 or 2 $9.99 (each)
Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air: Seasons 4 or 5 $9.99 (each)
The Big C: Season 1 $9.99
Rescue Me: Seasons 1 or 2 $9.99 (each)
The Shield: Seasons 1 or 2 $9.99 (each)

- - - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 CD

"Paloma Faith - Fall To Grace" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks

Another slow week once again. Meh.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:19 AM
Past Tense

And here we are; this month we begin a mega post involving a living God, giants, flashy cinematography and dudes with swords protecting their realm in "300"...

The motion picture opened on March 9th, 2007. It was made with a budget of $65,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 210 million during its U.S. theatrical run; worldwide it made over $456 million. The film opened number one at the box office, the following week it remained at number one

The feature opened against "Ghost Rider", "Bridge To Terabithia", "The Number 23" and "Wild Hogs".

This film was released in both widescreen and full screen for the single disc edition and a two disc widescreen special edition (which is what I'm going to be talking about). There was no insert for the two disc set, but it did come with an embossed cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. I apologize, I can not recall if the single disc came with a slipcover, sorry.

- - -

As mentioned above and the last PT entry, this is two month coverage; eight posts focused on a single release - "300". Our inaugural reporting covers the first two exclusives which came from Best Buy.

The first was a pre-release, promo disc (above with ad). It came in a black slimcase and was made available on February 27th, 2007; free with the purchase of any DVD. There was a minimum ninety per store. It came with a theater voucher to see "300" for free ($10.50 value for one; the window was March 9th to April 9th, 2007). I didn't use mine, it's still in the slimcase. I'm a collector.

This was both in the new releases display rack and in the adventure section. I obtained my free copy from buying "Giant: Two - Disc Special Edition" (though I had to make an exchange, one of the discs was scratched up).

The promo disc has a run time of 43:01 minutes. Most the webisodes carried over onto the two disc set; minus "Sneak Peak At 300", "First Look", "Creatures" and the mobile game trailer "300: March To Glory". *nods*

The next exclusive arrived on its street date of July 31st, 2007. A mini Spartan helmet with four collectible art cards. This came in box with a folding side door (sealed/locked with two velcro dots) that opened to a large window showcasing the replica. One side of the box also had a window, it didn't need to be opened to view. This was for the two disc special edition and sold for $34.99.

The art cards were printed on cardstock and embossed on "300" logo/name. They are 5 x 7 inches each. The back is blank minus some fine print, studio credits ("For promotional use only. Not for sale. © 2007 Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved." Below that it read "116724-90-CR"; with a number at the end of CR indicating the card number, such as CR4.). I have my cards from here and Circuit City (next Past Tense) inside the slipcover - inside the big box. I'll explain in a few.

Above is a couple of photos from a fellow enthusiast (sorry, name lost to the ether). Man, getting this particular exclusive was a pain, not as much as it was for the FYE/Suncoast (first PT for April) offering. *shakes head* I'm way too anal for my own good.

The helmet is not some plastic crap, it has real weight to it. Kinda like what Best Buy did with the ceramic mask for "V For Vendetta" (2006; have that too). The thing feels like it was made from some kind of resin - not metal. It measures 5 1/2 inches tall. A good sculpt and paint job on it. I'm lucky to have mine.

On release day I arrived in store around noon and they were already sold out. Only fifteen per store.. Crap! Fanboys like myself had been waiting in front of the store before it opened to get that exclusive. I had NO chance finding it. In fact that was happening across the nation. A thought popped in my head (wasn't the only one), I raced home.

The tubes could be the answer. I went online, once home and saw that through the store's website, it was still available. I took a chance and ordered it. What you're seeing above is an actual screen snap from that afternoon, the image was taken roughly at 4 PM (did I not tell you, I'm anal?).

The question was whether or not my order went through. You see, the email I got shortly there after said, it was on back order. I got a second message saying the same. I pretty much figured, I lost it. I did get a bit of false hope. Looking about the tubes, I read that some Best Buys might be getting restocked that Thursday. I gave it a shot, nope - my local store didn't have it. I did however talk to a clerk there, it did happen, but only to a few stores in Las Vegas. My order still could happen, I hadn't gotten an email saying it was canceled.

On August 7th, came a message saying it was shipped; five days later it arrived. *smiles* This very exclusive is now selling from an Amazon reseller for $99.99, new (as of this week).

The cards.

All and all I bought this movie twice over (you'll read about that in April). The DVD with slipcover fits inside the box, behind the replica giving it structural support, otherwise it would wobble. I sold my extra copy on Ebay (I didn't break even), but kept the extra slipcover for the box. I use that slipcover like a pocket for the card exclusives. The movie isn't inside the box, I would rather have easy access for viewing. And it would ware on it, opening and closing the flap each time; damage can happen. I'll pass.

There you go. Part II will arrive on the morning of March 28th, 2013. See you there - in fancy slow-mo.

Last edited by JohnIan; 03-14-2013 at 02:46 AM..
Old 03-14-2013, 02:45 AM
Wal-Mart - March 5th, 2013

"The Legend Of Kung Fu Rabbit" exclusive store release; $14.98 (roughly).
Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 AM
Target - March 19th, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Exclusive Bilbo Baggins LEGO minifigure for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

Les Misérables (March 22nd release)
Exclusives bonus disc? - Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99
Exclusive gift set (bonus disc?, book, postcards and packaging); Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.50 DVD

The Social Network

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVD

Victorious: Season 2

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

Tom And Jerry & The Wizard Of Oz
Friends With Benefits

- - - - - - - - - -

DVDs

iCarly: Season 4 $7.99
SpongeBob SquarePants: Season 8 $14.99
(additional Nickelodeon titles on sale in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Trouble With The Curve $14.99
In Time $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience" 2 exclusive bonus tracks

I'll pick up "The Hobbit" (DVD) when it hits ten bucks or so, but for now, I'm not paying $16.99.

Last edited by JohnIan; 03-17-2013 at 04:14 AM..
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 AM
Best Buy - March 19th, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Exclusive Bilbo Baggins/Gollum lenticular cover and bonus documentary (bonus disc?) for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $24.99 (two per store)

Les Misérables (March 22nd release)
Exclusive steelbook case for for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $19.99 (two per store)

Zero Dark Thirty
Exclusive steelbook case with Medal of Honor: Warfighter Zero Dark Thirty Map Pack $22.99 (two per store)

WWE: Elimination Chamber 2013
Exclusive Blu-Ray store release $16.99

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Taken 2
Perks Of Being A Wallflower

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Skyfall
Fun Size
Flight

- - - - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

Red Dawn (2012 remake)
Life Of Pi

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Jersey Shore: Season Six $16.99
Closer: Season 7 $19.99
Covert Affairs: Season 2 $22.99
Psych: Season 6 $27.99
Criminal Minds: Season 7 $32.99

The DVD for "The Hobbit" is $16.99. I'm in the dark about that documentary - is it a bonus disc (format?) or part of the Blu-Ray release?

- - -

Update...

It's not a bonus disc ; "Hobbit" exclusive documentary - it's part of the Blu-Ray release.

Last edited by JohnIan; 03-20-2013 at 01:29 AM..
Old 03-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Target - March 26th, 2013

The Borgias: The Second Season
Exclusive bonus disc? DVD or Blu-Ray $24.99/$32.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.00 DVDs

Here Comes Peter Cottontail: The Original TV Classic
Dinosaur Train: Eggstravaganza
Jonah: A VeggieTales Movie
Happy Feet
Coraline
Annie
Eat Pray Love
Pride & Prejudice
The Goonies
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory: 40th Anniversary Edition
Fried Green Tomatoes
Little Miss Sunshine
The Expendables

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

Mirror Mirror
Think Like A Man
Megamind
Country Strong
The Princess Bride 25th Anniversary Edition
4 Film Favorites: Nicholas Sparks Romances (Nights In Rodanthe/Message In A Bottle/A Walk To Remember/The Notebook)
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss In Boots
Dora's Easter Adventure
Alvin And The Chipmunks: Easter Collection
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
Barbie In The Pink Shoes
How To Train Your Dragon
(additional titles on sale in store at that price or $14.99 - $19.99)

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

Skyfall
Argo
Pitch Perfect
The Help
The Dark Knight Rises
Taken 2
Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away
Rio
The Pirates! Band Of Misfits
Dolphin Tale
Hop
ParaNorman
The Amazing Spider-Man
G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra
Trouble With The Curve

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.00 DVDs

Life Of Pi
Hotel Transylvania
Moonrise Kingdom
The Master
Looper
Brave
Diary Of A Wimpy Kid: Dog Days
Ice Age: Continental Drift
Rise Of The Guardians
Frankenweenie
Cinderella
Secret Of The Wings
Tangled
The Descendants
Wreck-It Ralph

- - - - - - - - - -

Veep: The Complete First Season $19.99
Scandal: Season 1 $14.99
Breaking Bad: Seasons 1 - 4 $14.99 (each)
Justified: Seasons 1 - 3 $14.99 (each)
House M.D.: Seasons 5 or 8 $14.99 (each)
The Big Bang Theory: Seasons 1 - 5 $14.99 (each)
The Vampire Diaries: Seasons 1 - 3 $14.99 (each)
Dexter: Seasons 1 - 6 $17.99 (each)
The Simpsons: Season 15 $17.99
New Girl: Season 1 $17.99
How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 3 - 7 $17.99 (each)
Family Guy: Volume 10 $17.99
The Mentalist: Seasons 2 - 4 $17.99 (each)
Downton Abbey: Season 3 $19.99
American Horror Story: Season 1 $19.99
The Walking Dead: Season 2 $19.99
Modern Family: Seasons 1 - 3 $19.99 (each)
Grimm: Season 1 $19.99
Spartacus: Vengeance: Season 2 $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Shake It Up - I <3 Dance" with 3 exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CDs

"One Republic - Native" deluxe edition with 5 bonus tracks
"Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II" deluxe edition with a bonus track

There are some good deals this week. Not sure, but I might get "Puss In Boots" for seven bucks.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:42 AM
Best Buy - March 26th, 2013

Star Trek: Enterprise - Season One
Exclusive featurette "Shuttlepod One: Declassified" for Blu-Ray; only available through CinemaNow $64.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVD

Where The Wild Things Are

- - - - - - - - - -

$6.99 DVDs

The Adventures Of Tintin
Bugs Bunny's Easter Funnies
Here Comes Peter Cottontail: The Movie
Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs

- - - - - - - - - -

$8.99 DVD

Barbie: Fairy

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

The Dark Knight Rises
Argo
It's The Easter Beagle, Charlie Brown
Dr. Seuss' The Lorax
Kung Fu Panda 2
Hop
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted
How To Train Your Dragon

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

The Man With The Iron Fists Unrated

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

Les Misérables
This Is 40

- - - - - - - - - -

Veep: The Complete First Season $19.99
Continuum: Season One $22.99
Nurse Jackie: Season 4 $22.99
Weeds: Season 8 $22.99
Gossip Girl: Season 6 $24.99
Smash: Season 1 $24.99
Nurse Jackie: Season 4 $22.99
Gossip Girl: Season 6 $24.99
Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air: Season 6 $9.99
Full House: Season 1 $9.99
Friends: Season 1 $9.99
The Andy Griffith Show: Season 1 $9.99
The Brady Bunch: Season 1 $9.99
The Incredible Hulk: Season 1 $9.99
Magnum P.I.: Season 1 $9.99
MASH: Season 1, Volume 1 $9.99
Murder She Wrote: Season 1 $9.99
Newheart: Season 1 $9.99
Remington Steele: Season 1 $9.99
The Shield: Season 1 $9.99
Jurassic Park: Ultimate Trilogy $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$25.99 CD

"Lil Wayne - I Am Not A Human Being II" with exclusive t-shirt

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 CD

"The Strokes - Comedown Machine" with exclusive t-shirt

There you go. A decent selection this week. I wish season two of "The Jeffersons" were among TV season sale, ten bucks is a nice price.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 AM
Past Tense

Part two of the mega "300" post comes at you like a well thrown spear. Duck if you want, won't really matter though.

- - -

I'll forgo the theatrical stats since it would be a repeat, just scroll above to the March 14th, 2013 entry.

This outing we focus on the exclusive that came from the former retail giant, Circuit City. This will be one of the shorter entries. I'll make it up next post. *nods*

This arrived at their stores on July 31st, 2007, four exclusive collectible cards (4 x 6 inches). These were not packed with the DVDs; it was available for both the single and two disc editions ($13.99/$22.99), but at the counter. You would buy the movie then receive an milky transparent envelope with the cards; first come, first served. There were a minimum of twenty sets per store.

The cards were printed on thick card stock. As mentioned previously, I have my cards inside the Best Buy, Spartan helmet exclusive gift set.

I was fortunate that I didn't have to buy the DVD to get the cards. Yeah, let me address this - my DVD Crawl. I went to Circuit City first since it was the first store on my weekly trips. It was located roughly a block away from Best Buy. After that, as needed (not really part of my weekly) Target, then Wal-Mart.

Anyhow, back to that story...

I asked politely, the woman at customer service and she handed me a set for free. One of my easier acquisitions.

Okay, I'll go the extra mile and type out each card. The back of each reads "Collector's Edition" and "Zack Snyder Commentary On The Scene"...

Quote:
One of the most challenging, and rewarding, part of making 300 was dissecting some of Frank Miller's illustrations and their individual elements, ultimately finding creative solutions as to how to bring those images to life. In this scene two of the key elements in capturing that look were the lighting and the rendering of the rain. We relied on intense lighting to give us hard highlights and dark shadows. The rendering of the rain was also pivotal to capturing the look of the original illustration, so we opted to use a combination of both practical and CGI raindrops.

Quote:
We did our best to faithfully translate Frank Miller's fantastic illustrative style, textures, lighting and geography into live action in a way that captures not only the action, but also the attitude, exaggerated perspectives and overall intensity. For this particular frame we shot many passes of our stuntmen falling off the rock cliff set into padding below. Combine those elements with a layer that included Leonidas and his men pushing several soldiers back, throw in some digital battle grit and CGI blood, and with a little luck, you have a Frank Miller illustration come to life.

Quote:
"A thousand nations of the Persian army descend upon you, our arrows will blot out the sun," threatens the Persian Emissary. Not intimidated, Stelios defiantly replies, "Then we will fight in the shade." The arrow scenario was something included in our original test shot and then later in the actual film. As each new version arrived for commenting, I would look at it and exclaim, "More arrows!" In the end, I think the final result is an intimidating cloud of weapons raining down on the Spartan soldiers.

Quote:
There are four distinguishable battles in the film. During battle three, we turn the fantasy aspect of the story up a notch. We decided to play on the fact that the audience is seeing the battle through the eyes of the ancient Spartan mind as Dilios spins this fantastic tale around the campfire. The storyteller device allows us to embrace the surreal and elevate the tale of Leonidas and his 300 soldiers into the stratosphere of legend.
- - -

From 2007, can't recall where I found this on the tubes. Saved that pix all these years. I still think it's cute. C'mon, you know it made you smile.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnote.

There is an easter egg on disc 1 (not sure, but I think this is also available on the single disc edition); featurette on the transition from graphic novel to cinema.

Special Features -> press up; highlight 'blood splatter' - ENTER.

And there you go folks - the end of Part II. Have no worries, there is much more to cover, halfway done. The next installment will cut you up on April 11th, 2003.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Target - April 2nd, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

The Bible: The Epic Miniseries $29.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"New Kids On The Block - 10" exclusive store release

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"The Band Perry - Pioneer" exclusive deluxe edition with 4 bonus tracks

Very weak this week. Pass.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 AM
Best Buy - April 2nd, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

The Bible: The Epic Miniseries $29.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 2 $11.99
Covert Affairs: Season 2 $22.99

The only thing of interest here is "John Dies At The End" (DVD) $12.99. That's about it. This too is a poor week for sales.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 AM
Target - April 9th, 2013

Fairly Legal: Season Two
Exclusive store release $19.99

Necessary Roughness: Season Two
Exclusive store release $19.99

(Save $5.00 if you purchase both titles on the same recepit)

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.75 - $10.39 DVDs (mystery prices)

Jillian Michaels: Ripped In 30
Leslie Sansone: 3 Mega Miles (includes toning band)
Element: AM & PM Yoga For Beginners

- - - - - - - - - -

Boss: Season Two $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 CD

"Billboard Latin Music - 2013 Awards Finalists" exclusive store release

I'll pick up S2 of "Fairly Legal", that's about it. It's a weak outing this week.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:13 AM
Best Buy - April 9th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Killing Them Softly
Parental Guidance

- - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Gabriel Iglesias: I'm Not Fat... I'm Fluffy
Bill Cosby: Himself
Kristen Schall: Live At The Fillmore
Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe
Daniel Tosh: Happy Thoughts

- - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Jeff Dunham: Minding The Monsters
Jeff Dunham: Controlled Chaos
Kevin Hart: I'm A Grown Little Man

- - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs

Louis C.K.: Shameless
George Lopez: It's Not Me, It's You

- - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

Dane Cook: Vicious Circle

- - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CD

"Drowning Pool - Resilience" with exclusive DVD

- - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Device - Device" deluxe edition with three excluisve bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Volbeat - Outlaw Gentlemen & Shady Ladies" deluxe edition with three exclusive bonus tracks

I don't see anything I want this week. Whatever.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:36 AM
Past Tense

Still not surrendering, part three of the mega "300" post hold its ground with more exclusives!

- - -

As mentioned last time, I'll forgo the theatrical stats. Look at the March 14th, 2013 entry for that data.

This time out we focus on the remaining stores, plus a tangent entry with its exclusive. I kinda have to include it, though I know in my heart - it's crap.

Lets address this alphabetically...

On release day, July 31st, 2007, FYE/Suncoast had their own exclusive bonus disc. This became one of the hardest acquisitions for the movie.

My voyage for that exclusive took me to three FYEs, in different cities. Man, I'm too anal, I don't want to think about how many miles I drove to add it to my collection.

The first store didn't have it - sold out.

The second store said they had copies, but couldn't sell it to me. Apparently the exclusive was ONLY available on pre-orders. You can't just walk in and buy it with the movie. I saw a surplus of bonus discs; not attached to any pre-orders. I ask what they were going to do with them - "send them back to corporate". I'm not making that up. WTF? What kind of imbecilic policy is that? I left so pissed off.

I was lucky at the third store. But that was an effort. There were two clerks who argued over whether to sell it to me. Granted, I had to rebuy the movie just for that disc. It has to be under a pre-order... well I bought the two disc set once more, $22.99. As mentioned in Part I, I sold my extra copy on Ebay, I lost money on this venture.

Their exclusive came in a printed cardboard sleeve. Sorry, no menu screen, it just plays. The bonus disc has a run time of 22:53 minutes.

Next was Target which had one of the crappiest exclusives - a download, "Making Of 300". A quote from their weekly ad:
Quote:
Target Deluxe Edition includes 300 movie download (full theatrical version) for PC or mobile device with exclusive 'Making Of 300 download', and over 90 minutes of thrilling extras on a bonus disc.
Yeah - a digital copy too. Oh joy. That ad was borderline false advertising, or at least poorly worded. The store has a history of doing stuff like that.

The image above is a recreation of their exclusive embossed slipcover. I would say it's roughly 95% correct. *nods* As I wrote, I don't own this, so no scan is possible. I did however find a couple of low-res pixs, which I used as references.

Continuing...

Their exclusive was loaded with DRM (Digital Rights Management). You needed to register with Movielink.com (Windows only - and required Internet Explorer), fork over your email and various personal information to download the movie, THEN they email you the link to download the making-of. Which by the way was the [B]HBO[/B special that aired on March 1st, 2007 (22 minutes). The digital copy ran through their proprietary software. No, do not want. This exclusive was on the two disc edition and sold for $22.99.

The next offering was from Wal-Mart. It's weak, but still beats out Target's exclusive; the uncut version of "Alexander" (two disc set), side packed with the single disc edition of "300". It sold for $19.98. It's not a bad deal if you just wanted the basic version of the movie - you got a free, two disc special edition of a decent flick. I recall it be available on both the full screen and full screen editions of "300".

- - - - - - - - - -

Tangent.

Don't get mad.

As I wrote, I kinda have to include this mess here too. *sigh*

The motion picture "Meet The Spartans" opened on January 25th, 2008. It was made with a budget of $30,000,000 (estimated) and grossed over 38 million during its U.S. theatrical run; worldwide it made over $84 million (how sad is that?). The film opened number two at the box office, the following week it dropped to number seven.

The feature opened against "National Treasure: Book of Secrets", "Juno", "Cloverfield" and "Rambo".

I never bought this, so I can't tell you if this came with any kind of insert. The film had two editions; theatrical and unrated. Each were single disc releases. The theatrical edition came with both the widescreen and full screen versions. Unrated was widescreen only. I can't tell you if this came with a slipcover.

- - -

Circuit City offered on release day, June 3rd, 2008, a free muscle t-shirt (size large); packed on the back of the "Unrated Pit-Of-Death Edition" DVD. This set sold for $16.99.

There you go. As a side note, I've now added more topics for PTs, I'm covered through the end of July. *smiles* And I still have several in surplus. I may actually reach 2014, sway.

It's not over folks, there is one more exclusive for "300" to talk about. The final installment in this mega post will punch you on April, 25th, 2013.
Old 04-14-2013, 04:20 AM
Target - April 16th, 2013

Django Unchained
Exclusive bonus disc and steelbook packaging for the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99
(bonus disc is a DVD)

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.00 DVDs

Quantum Of Solace
Casino Royale
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
Batman Begins
The Dark Knight

- - - - - - - - - -

DVDs - mystery price; $7.00 - $10.00 each

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
The Twilight Saga: New Moon
Twilight

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

The Hobbit
The Dark Knight Rises

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.00 DVD

Parental Guidance

- - - - - - - - - -

$15.00 DVDs

Here Comes The Boom
Life Of Pi
Skyfall
Taken 2
End Of Watch

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.00 DVDs

Rise Of The Guardians
The Master

- - - - - - - - - -

$18.00 DVD

Alex Cross

The movie edition of "Django Unchained" is $16.99 (DVD) here.

Last edited by JohnIan; 04-16-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Best Buy - April 16th, 2013

Django Unchained
Exclusive bonus disc and Digipak packaging for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $24.99
(bonus disc is a DVD)

Alphas: Season Two
Exclusive store release $26.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$5.99 DVDs

Kill Bill: Volume 1
Kill Bill: Volume 2
Pulp Fiction
Inglourious Bastards

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVD

Quentin Tarantino's Rolling Thunder Pictures

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

The Collection
Cirque Du Soleil: Worlds Away

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

Tangled
Cinderella
Cinderella II: Dreams Come True/Cinderella III: A Twist In Time
Alice In Wonderland
The Princess And The Frog
(bonus CD sampler in specially marked Disney movies)

- - - - - - - - - -

Dallas: Season 1 (reboot) $17.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 2 $14.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 $19.99
Sons Of Anarchy: Season 4 $36.99

Should you want just the movie (Django; DVD) it's gonna be $17.99.

Last edited by JohnIan; 04-16-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Wal-Mart - April 16th, 2013

"Django Unchained"

Exclusive bonus disc for the DVD and Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo. Mine was bought for $16.96 (DVD edition). The bonus disc is a DVD.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Target - April 23rd, 2013

The World's Greatest Super Friends
Exclusive store release $9.99

- - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

Dolphin Tale
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
Arbitrage
Bridesmaids: Unrated
Think Like A Man
10 Years
Flight
Fast Five
The Hunger Games
The Amazing Spider-Man
Looper
(additional titles in store)

- - - - - - - - -

Masterpiece Classic: Mr. Selfridge - Season 1 $26.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 2 $7.99
Veep: Season 1 $22.99
The Borgias: Season 2 $24.99
Gossip Girl: Season 6 $16.99
Weeds: Season 8 $17.99

- - - - - - - - -

$9.00 CD

"Fantasia - Side Effects Of You" with two exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Michael Buble - To Be Loved" deluxe edition with three exclusive bonus tracks

Meh. I'll pick up "Gangster Squad" when it hits ten bucks or less. Should you want it Tuesday, it'll be $14.99
Old 04-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Best Buy - April 23rd, 2013

Gangster Squad
Exclusive bonus content (could be a disc or streaming), Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $24.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CD

"Rob Zombie - Venomous Rat Regeneration Vendor" exclusive 3D cover and video stream code

I'm in the dark as to what that bonus content is; the DVD edition will sell for $14.99.

- - -

It appears that the exclusive is an extra featurette on the Blu-Ray disc.

Last edited by JohnIan; 04-25-2013 at 04:06 AM..
Old 04-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Past Tense

The final installment of the four part mega "300" post will draw its last breath this day.

- - -

For theatrical stats; look up the March 14th, 2013 PT entry.

What can this outing hold? All of the exclusives for the July 31st, 2007 release have been covered. *nods*

This is most true.

But there was another... a box set.

Released on November 18th, 2008 was a three disc set with some physical premiums; fifty-two page art and photo hardcover book with a personal message from Director Zack Snyder, a motion image (lenticular - King Leonidas throwing his spear) encased in lucite and six photo cards showcasing the theatrical poster campaign.

It also came with an exclusive bonus disc, not a store exclusive - but rather, only available in this box set.

But more on that in a moment.

On release day, Best Buy had their own, a final exclusive for this motion picture, a comic book. A limited edition, mini, thirty-two page comic which came inside the box (only three available per store). This sold for $34.99. Note, this was not a comic book adaptation (of a movie who itself was adapted from a comic); it was in fact, a reprint of chapter one of the source graphic novel - up to the point where Leonidas kicks the Xerxes' emissaries into the pit.

This was a sampler, part of a bigger official hardcover graphic novel book (published in 1999 from Dark Horse), released by Dark Horse Comics; story and art by Frank Miller.

Above are the cards which came with the box. All six foil cards were printed on card stock and are lobby card sized (5 x 7 inches). I bought my copy on release day, but had to make an exchange. The third disc was scratched up. The replacement was just as damaged. I was bummed to say the least.

That was then; I've found an excellent location (online) for disc repair, resurfacing. I recently sent them a DVD which was... all messed up (an adult title [which may or may not have been "I Wanna Bang Your Sister"], bought used - hey, it was within my budget, new it would've been expensive). A week later, I got it back, lookin' brand new. This third disc will get repaired in the coming weeks. I have many other DVDs which need to be made new - flawless mirrored surface. Very sway.

- - -

The third disc has a single featurette, "To The Hot Gates: A Legend Retold". It has a run time of 30:06 minutes. This disc also houses the film's Digital Copy.

The question: Are discs one and two any different than the two disc edition from the year earlier?

Nope, they are the same (I checked), just new packaging with premiums (plus the above mentioned third disc). There is a change though, the pressed labels on disc one and two are different than the two disc edition.

Above is the content sheet which was attached to the rear of the box - why yes, I kept mine.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

November 2008 issue of Empire magazine (British), published the results of a world-wide poll of the "500 Greatest Movies Of All Time"; "300" ranked 337th.

- - -

This isn't the end. Well... story wise.

There is a prequel film coming from Warner Bros, "300: Rise Of An Empire".

This isn't directed by Zack Snyder, but will feature a continuation of the cinematic style. It's directed by Noam Murro. As it stands (usually in flux) it will hit theaters on August 2nd, 2013 in 3D and IMAX 3D. The screenplay written by Snyder, Kurt Johnstad and Michael B. Gordon (the trio wrote the first film). Composer Tyler Bates returns as well.

The only returning cast members are Rodrigo Santoro who played Xerxes. Lena Headey reprising Queen Gorgo and Andrew Tiernan as Ephialtes.

Quote:
I think it will match, because the idea is matching - characters and style and all that. Especially because they're calling it like a spinoff, you get bits of the first movie. There's a place where they meet, the first movie and the second movie, but it's a different director. I didn't see the movie yet, the final result, but the experience - I mean, Zack was pretty much involved because he wrote it and he's producing it. His hands are there, but Noam will have his own take on directing it. I think it's going to be pretty awesome, and the fans are going to be pleased;
- Santoro

Story? That much is not known. But I can tell you it was filmed in Bulgaria; (Nu Boyana Film Studios) and was originally titled "300: Battle Of Artemisium".

It also stars Sullivan Stapleton as General Themistocles, Jack O'Connell as Calisto, Callan Mulvey as Scyllias, Eva Green as Artemisia and Mark Killeen along with Hans Matheson. This could be entertaining (it has a proposed run time of 147 minutes).

And that's it.

The next PT returns to its normal self-contained entries on May 9th, 2013. See you there.

- - -

Update: 5/11/13

"300: Rise Of An Empire" now has a March 7th, 2014 release date.

Last edited by JohnIan; 05-12-2013 at 02:16 AM..
Old 04-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Target - April 30th, 2013

The Guilt Trip
Exclusive gift wrapped; includes a card with audio greeting from Barbra Streisand on Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.00 DVDs

Mean Girls
Good Will Hunting
The Goonies
Barbie As The Princess And The Pauper
Where The Wild Things Are
The Bourne Identity
Pulp Fiction
Old School: Unrated
Shawshank Redemption
Country Strong

- - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 CD

"LL Cool J - Authentic" four exclusive bonus tracks

Meh. No listing for the remake of "Ben Hur".
Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 AM
Best Buy - April 30th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVDs

Bill Cosby: Himself
Jim Gaffigan: Mr. Universe

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVD

Kevin Hart: I'm A Grown Little Man

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 DVDs

George Lopez: It's Not Me, It's You
Louis C.K.: Sameless

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVD

Dane Cook: Vicious Circle

- - - - - - - - - -

30 Rock: Seasons 4 - 6 $19.99 (each)
The Office: Seasons 6 - 8 $14.99 (each)

Another poor week. It is what it is.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:11 AM
Target - May 7th, 2013

Safe Haven
Exclusive bonus disc (DVD) with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

Jack Reacher
Exclusive novel ("Second Son") bundled with Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Something's Gotta Give
Fried Green Tomatoes
Clueless
Hitch
The Back-Up Plan
(additional sale titles in store)

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 or $10.00 DVDs (mystery prices)

Parental Guidance
Forrest Gump
21 Jump Street (reboot movie)
Bridesmaids: Unrated
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel
The Blind Side
Crazy Stupid Love
Nicholas Sparks Film Collection (Nights In Rodanthe/The Notebook/Message In A Bottle/A Walk To Remember)

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

The Guilt Trip
Silver Linings Playbook
The Master
Life Of Pi

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 or $15.00 DVDs (mystery prices)

Iron Man
Iron Man 2
Iron Man: Rise Of Technovore
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Marvel's The Avengers

- - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 or $24.99 DVDs (mystery prices)

The Bible: The Epic Miniseries
Glee: Season 3
Modern Family: Season 3
The Mentalist: Season 4
Dallas: Season 1 (reboot)
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3
Parks And Recreation: Season 4

- - - - - - - - - -

Fringe: The Fifth and Final Season $26.99

I don't like this mystery price plan they're using. Just tell me, so I can make an informed choice.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Best Buy - May 7th, 2013

Jack Reacher
Exclusive streaming content (through CinemaNow) for the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $19.99

Superman: Unbound
Exclusive Brainiac figurine for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

Les Misérables

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVD

Silver Linings Playbook

- - - - - - - - - -

$34.99 DVD

The Bible: The Epic Miniseries

- - - - - - - - - -

Fringe: The Fifth And Final Season $22.99
30 Rock: Season Seven - The Final Season $24.99
Private Practice: The Complete Sixth Season $24.99
30 Rock: Season 7 $24.99

Pass. Next week comes season seven of "Dexter". I'm saving for that.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM
Past Tense

This week we puff our last blunt in "Weeds"...

"Weeds: Season Eight - The Final Season" was released on home video on February 12th, 2013.

It streeted against "Skyfall", "Robot & Frank" and "The Perks Of Being A Wallflower".

This release originally came with a cardboard slipcover which mirrored the case's wraparound. It came with two small inserts. An episode index, but it lists no air dates. And an ad for Lionsgate's BeFit YouTube channel (YouTube.com/BeFit).

- - -

Target offered the sole exclusive, a bonus disc. This sold for $24.99 and was also available for Blu-Ray, same price.

It came inside the three disc case (no CD envelope). I say this since some new series season sets come in a case which has a small spindle inside ("Pan Am: The Complete Series"; ended up buying a three disc case from Big Lots! - a movie collection, I forgot what), instead of a normal three disc holders.

The bonus disc has a run time of 23:19 minutes. I had no problem getting my copy - mostly. I was lucky. The store had several copies. I picked up one and took it to the register, along with the weekly ad from Best Buy. I wanted to price match, the competitor had S8 for $19.99. The lady originally said no; saying it was only for the basic/regular edition, not their exclusive. I pointed out that they only carried the exclusive. Someone went to media area to check, indeed, that's it. Common sense prevailed and I price matched it. Very sway.

As mention in the Past Tense for "Weeds: Season Two" (September 14th, 2012). I've only seen seasons one through three. I still haven't gotten around to watch the others - I will, eventually.

There you go. Yup, this is a brief entry. Hey, for the past two months you got comprehensive coverage on "300". I'm taking it easy this PT. Next outing will have more meat - a different kind of exclusive. See you here on May 23rd, 2013.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:15 AM
Target - May 14th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$8.00 DVDs

Friends With Benefits
The Hangover Part II
Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan

- - - - - - - - - -

$6.99 DVDs

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Rise Of The Turtles $6.99
Tom and Jerry: The Movie $6.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVD

Barbie In A Mermaid Tale $7.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$11.99 DVD

The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo: The Complete Series $11.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

Adventure Time: Jake Vs Me-Mow $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Dexter: The Seventh Season $29.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.99 CD

"Demi Lavato - Demi" deluxe edition with an exclusive bonus track

- - - - - - - - - -

$12.99 CD

"Fantasia - Side Effects Of You" with two exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Amy Grant - How Mercy Looks From Here" deluxe edition with three exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"The Great Gatsby - Music From" with three exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$15.99 CD

"Rod Stewart - Time" with three exclusive bonus tracks

- - - - - - - - - -

$16.99 CD

"Nashville - The Music Of Nashville - Season 1 Volume 2" with four exclusive bonus tracks

Just like last season; S7 of "Dexter" does not have an exclusive. I'm mixed - on one hand I'm gald I don't have to buy it now. I can wait for a better deal. But I would've like a bonus disc.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:17 AM
Best Buy - May 14th, 2013

Battlestar Galatica (original series, pilot movie)
Exclusive Blu-Ray, store release $14.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Rise Of The Guardians
Hyde Park On Hudson

- - - - - - - - - -

$19.99 DVDs

Playing For Keeps
Safe Haven

- - - - - - - - - -

Dexter: The Seventh Season $24.99
The New Girl: The Complete First Season $21.99

2 Broke Girls: Season 1 $16.99
Person Of Interest: Season 1 $16.99
Archer: Season 3 $16.99
The Office: Season 8 $12.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 2 $12.99
Modern Family: Season 3 $24.99
Gray Anatomy: Season 8 $29.99
Bones: Season 7 $32.99
Dexter: Seasons 1 - 5 $16.99 (each)
Dexter: Season 6 $19.99
The Big Bang Theory: Seasons 1 - 5 $16.99 (each)
How I Met Your Mother: Seasons 1 - 6 $16.99 (each)
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 $22.99
Supernatural: Seasons 1 - 7 $16.99 (each)
Revenge: Season 1 $29.99
($10.00 gift card with the purchase of $50.00 or more on TV titles; DVD or Blu-Ray. Or $25.00 if you spend $100.00)

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 CD

"The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer" with two exclusive bonus tracks and scratch-off art

I'll pick up S7 of "Dexter" later this year. I'm feeling somewhere in the fifteen dollar rage.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Target - May 21st, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVD

Scooby-Doo! Mask Of The Blue Falcon

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Rise Of The Guardians
Jack Reacher
Zero Dark Thirty
Safe Haven
Broken City

- - - - - - - - - -

$17.99 DVDs

The Impossible

- - - - - - - - - -

True Blood: The Complete Fifth Season $29.99
Dexter: Season 7 $29.99
Game of Thrones: Season 2 $34.99
True Blood: Season 4 $27.99
Breaking Bad: Season 4 $16.99
The Walking Dead: Season 2 $27.99
Homeland: Season 1 $34.99
Boardwalk Empire: Season 2 $27.99
The Borgias: Season 2 $24.99
Psych: Season 6 $19.99
Californication: Season 5 $19.99
Eastbound & Down: Season 3 $16.99
Shameless: Season 2 $19.99
Justified: Season 3 $24.99
Archer: Season 3 $19.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Thirty Seconds To Mars - Love Lust Faith + Dreams" exclusive 30 minute video

No exclusive for "True Blood", okay. I'll pick this up here. The store is closer to my home than Best Buy and both are selling it for the same price.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:44 AM
Best Buy - May 21st, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

True Blood: The Complete Fifth Season $29.99
Perception: The Complete First Season $22.99
True Blood: Seasons 1 - 4 $27.99 (each)
Teen Wolf: Season 2 $26.99
Teen Wolf: Season 1 $12.99
Park And Recreations: Season 3 $14.99
Big Bang Theroy: Season 5 $16.99
Body Of Proof: Season 2 $19.99
Smash: Season 1 $19.99
The Simpsons: Season 15 $24.99
Criminal Minds: Season 7 $29.99
Castle: Season 4 $29.99
Easbound & Down: Season 2 $17.99
($10.00 gift card with the purchase of $50.00 or more on TV titles; DVD or Blu-Ray. Or $25.00 if you spend $100.00)

- - - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"French Montana - Excuse My French" deluxe edition with two exclusive bonus tracks

Meh. Pass on this week's offering.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Past Tense

This week we face the start of the second American Civil War in "Jericho"

Hey, didn't we cover this before? Yes and no.

"Jericho: The Complete Series" was released on home video on June 17th, 2008.

It streeted against "The Nude Bomb", "Alive Or Dead" and "So I Married An Axe Murderer".

This is a re-packaging of seasons one and two (which also hit shelfs on June 17th) together. It came with a large cardboard slipcover holding both seasons. The set did not come with an insert.

- - -

There was an exclusive for the box set, but not a store one. As with the box set for "300", this includes an extra DVD only available within.

It came in a cardboard printed sleeve. The disc has a run time of 35:28 minutes. As far as I can tell these are the video shorts that was on the CBS website for the series' second season. Including the promo ad touting the return of the show. I'm okay with the extras. Studio DVD releases often do not include the network website content. The sad news is that the bonus does not include the webisodes that made up the prequel called, "Jericho: Countdown". This followed Robert Hawkins before he and his family moved to Jericho, the agent gathering information before the nuclear attack. There were twenty-two episodes, all part of season one. You can find them on YouTube though.

The box set sold for $84.99.

- - - - - - - - - -

Notes.

There is another exclusive, a store one - Target. This was for season one (released on October 2nd, 2007) and was covered in the Past Tense entry for January 19th, 2012. I'm not going to repeat. *nods* Seek it out on this thread.

- - -

As with the virtual season three in comic book form (mentioned in the season one PT), there is a fourth season released by IDW Publishing.

A five issue mini-series (issue one has a limited edition glow-in-the-dark cover) was written by Kalinda Vazquez, overseen by the original television series’ writers. It picks up where season three left off. This is official canon.
Quote:
Working so closely with the creators of the TV show has been a blast, their love of the material is contagious, and one of the reasons I think fans relate to it so fervently.
- Senior Editor (IDW), Scott Dunbier

Quote:
Jake and Hawkins have finally come home to Jericho and we want to personally thank those fans and IDW for allowing that to happen.
- Series Executive Producer, Dan Shotz

All the issues have been released, finished a couple months ago. Season four had a July of 2012 start, but it didn't happen until August.

The issues will be collected in a trade paperback, the graphic novel is 120 pages. It has a July 9th, 2013 release for $19.99.

I am a bit surprised from one of the featurettes on the bonus disc. The train sequence from the cliff hanger, season one. It was a model, I thought it was CGI (granted some of it was, but I thought it was all computer generated). Very sway.

I need to get these virtual seasons, don't own any of them. Will there be a fifth? I don't know, I hope there is. That's it. The next PT will go boom on June 6th, 2013.

Last edited by JohnIan; 05-23-2013 at 04:28 AM..
Old 05-26-2013, 03:46 AM
Target - May 28th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Happy Gilmore
Beverly Hills Cop
Clueless
Sixteen Candles

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

The Expendables 2

- - - - - - - - - -

Suits: Season Two $26.99
Covert Affairs: Season Three $24.99
(save $10.00 if purchased with Suits: S2)

True Blood: Season 5 $34.99
Downton Abbey: Season 3 $24.99
NCIS: Season 9 $29.99
Criminal Minds: Season 7 $29.99

I don't see any titles I want. You may have better luck.
Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 AM
Best Buy - May 28th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVD

A Haunted House

- - - - - - - - -

Red Widow: The Complete First Season $19.99
Suits: Season Two $24.99
Covert Affairs: Season Three $22.99
Doctor Who: Series 7, Part 2 $19.99
Longmire: Complete First Season $29.99
True Blood: Season 5 $34.99
True Blood: Seasons 1 - 4 $27.99 (each)
The Walking Dead: Season 2 $32.99
Bones: Season 7 $32.99
Downton Abbey: Season 2 $24.99
Dexter: Season 6 $19.99
Modern Family: Seasons 1 or 2 $21.99 (each)
Modern Family: Season 3 $24.99
New Girl: Season 1 $21.99
Person Of Interest: Season 1 $16.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 1 or 2 $9.99 (each)
Arrested Development: Season 3 $12.99
NCIS: Los Angeles - Season 3 $29.99
Archer: Season 3 $16.99
Park And Recreation: Season 3 $12.99
How I Met Your Mother: Season 7 $22.99
The Simpsons: Season 15 $24.99
Suburgatory: Season 1 $14.99
Supernatural: Season 7 $16.99
2 Broke Girls: Season 1 $16.99
NCIS: Season 9 $27.99
Big Bang Theory: Season 5 $16.99
Two And A Half Men: Season 9 $14.99
The Vampire Diaries: Season 3 $16.99
Body Of Proof: Season 2 $19.99
Army Wives: Season 6, Part 2 $16.99
Smash: Season 1 $19.99
Castle: Season 4 $29.99

- - - - - - - - -

$14.99 CD

"Paul McCartney - Wings Over America" exclusive packaging

Some good deals on TV box sets. I'll probably pick up "Red Window" in the near future when the price comes down to ten or so.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:41 AM
Target - June 4th, 2013

-NONE-

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.00 DVDs

Forrest Gump
The Notebook
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Fast And The Furious

- - - - - - - - - -

$7.99 DVD

Liar Liar/Bruce Almighty/Happy Gilmore/Billy Madison: Four Feature Films

- - - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Young Justice: Invasion Destiny Calling - Season Two - Part 1
Justice League: Doom
Justice League: The New Frontier
(other Justice League titles on sale for $5 - $16.99)

- - - - - - - - - -

Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season $24.99
Falling Skies: The Complete Second Season $19.99
Adventure Time: The Complete Second Season $17.99

The Office: Season 8 $12.99
Boss: Season 2 $19.99
Band Of Brothers $27.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Demi Lovato - Demi" exclusive store release

"Warm Bodies" has a price of $14.99 (DVD) this week; same price as Best Buy (a good tag for a new release). That's pretty much the only thing I want this week. They'll also selling "A Good Day To Die Hard" for $16.99 (DVD) - nah. I'll pick that up for less than ten in a few months.
Old 06-02-2013, 03:43 AM
Best Buy - June 4th, 2013

A Good Day To Die Hard
Exclusive Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo with collectible beverage opener $21.99

- - - - - - - - - -

Breaking Bad: The Fifth Season $24.99
Pretty Little Liars: The Complete Third Season $32.99
Falling Skies: The Complete Second Season $19.99
12 Rounds 2: Reloaded $12.99
Breaking Bad: Seasons 1 - 3 $14.99 (each)
Breaking Bad: Season 4 $21.99
Longmire: Season 1 $24.99
Duck Dynasty: Season 2 $9.99
Smash; Season 1 $17.99
Dallas: Season 1 $17.99 (reboot)
Mad Men: Season 5 $24.99
Fringe: The Complete Series $94.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series $49.99
Married With Children: The Complete Series $29.99
Harry Potter: Complete Collection $39.99
Everybody Loves Raymond: The Complete Seires $79.99
Rescue Me: The Complete Series $29.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$13.99 CD

"Megadeth - Super Collider" exclusive 3 bonus tracks and lenticular cover art

*shrugs* "A Good Day To Die Hard" DVD will be on sale this week for $17.99.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Past Tense

This outing we get a good helping of teen angst sprinkled with wit in "Daria".

"Daria: The Complete Animated Series" was released on home video on May 11th, 2010.

It streeted against "Daybreakers", "Toy Story" (re-release), "Toy Story 2" (re-release) and "Legion".

This release came in a thick DVD case, holding eight discs, no slipcover issued. There was a single insert, a note from series creator, Glenn Eichler. The long road to an official release and the changes which had to be made to get it done (which will be addressed further down). It's single sided. There is no episode guide, don't ask why it wasn't included. I'm puzzled too.

- - -

There was single web based exclusive from www.dariaondvd.com, a tee shirt for the first 5,000 orders. The set sold for $49.99 with free shipping. The screen snap above was taken on release day (it sold out quick). I did not order this. I bought mine in store, Best Buy.

On street, this sold for $49.99 at Target and $44.99 at Best Buy. It has a retail price of $72.90. This is too expensive (for me) and I had to pass on it. Later that evening I was goofing off online (not much has changed) and came across a bit of info - an error. The Best Buy website had the box listed as $27.50, very wrong. So an idea popped in my head.

I took a screen snap, the image you see above; taken around 7:10pm. Yes, I'm that anal. I printed it out and returned to the store. I was there in the morning for my legacy project. There were three copies, one had a floater (loose disc). The other set had what is best described as a dented box. I took the best of the lot to the register. I showed the gal the printout and asked if they would honor their online price. She said, yes. There was a wait since she had to get someone to override the scanned price. I was worried that the guy would examine the transaction and say no.

This happened years ago over an internet coupon, ten dollars off various 20th Century Fox series box sets. Best Buy were having a sale at the time for twenty dollars. I got some great deals that day. Anyhow, the guy was busy and just punched in some numbers and left. And there it was... $29.98 (with tax) for a $72.90 set; saved $42.92 for those doing the math. As you can see from the store's web page, others took advantage of the mistake, the set became back ordered. By the way, the price went back to normal a few hours later.

I was lucky, besides the obvious. All of the DVDs were mint. I've never had cable (still don't). When it aired in the late 1990s, I had a friend of mine tape some episodes when he could. So for the most part, this box contained eighty percent of shows I never saw. The series ran for five seasons (1997 - 2002), thirteen episodes per season.

- - - - - - - - - -

Footnotes.

The good and the bad...

These are the unedited versions ("Is It Fall Yet?" is uncut too), minus the subject of music. The episodes were later cut up for cable syndication.

With the exception of three songs ("Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", "Whoomp! There It Is" and opening credits) all the music has been replaced. Why? Getting the licenses for all the songs would be incredibly expensive and would have to be passed on to the customers. The series was brimming with popular songs (artists like Sneaker Pimps, The Cardigans, George Michael, Garbage, Soundgarden, Journey, Foo Fighters and Rage Against The Machine to name just a few), the series didn't have a score.
Quote:
99 percent of the music has been changed, because of the cost of licensing the music bites we used would have made it impossible to release the collection (and for many years did). So no, these aren't the shows as aired, but more like one of these astronauts in a TWILIGHT ZONE episode who returns from space and finds his wife can't figure out what's changed about him, until it slowly dawns on her that instead of a cool song from 1997 playing when he walks into a room, it's some tune she's never heard of. Yeah, it's just like that.

To put it bluntly, replacing the music had to be done. Does that mean this box set is compromised? Season 1 Daria would have said, "Yes". Season V Daria would have said, "Shut up and pass the remote".
- Glenn Eichler

I have to say I'm impressed. The new music feels very natural, like it belongs there. Whoever did the job did a great service to fans. You don't notice it. Not like the job done for "Birds Of Prey: The Complete Series". Frack me, the music replacement was so generic. Couldn't they at least get the rights to the theme song ("Revolution" by Aimee Allen)? No. No they did not.

I say three songs remain intact, true, but on a technicality. The opening song "You're Standing On My Neck" by Splendora, only plays once. It's attached to the first episode on each disc. The rest begin with the episode's name. I guess it was cheaper to have it play once per disc than sixty-five times. They could've done it with seamless branching, tack on the opening for each episode, but I suspect that would quality as sixty-five times too.

It needs to be mentioned, many of the scenes in this new version is devoid of music. Not that it takes away from those particular moments, just thought it should be noted.

- - -

Besides the music changes there is another, something of more weight. The box set has all of the episodes, the "Sarcastathon 3000" intros for the "Daria" marathon and the two TV movies, "Is It Fall Yet?" and "Its It College Yet?" The latter is shorter, shorten by seven minutes. Why? A good question with no good answer other than the original master is lost. Yeah. The thing aired in 2002 (January 21st), it's not like it was a long time ago.

"College" had it's own DVD release and on VHS in 2002, it was in this edited form. The movie was originally ninety minutes long. "Fall" also had an individual release too.

Sure, when it first aired, "College", it was broadcast commercial-free and featured an intermission with the premiere of the music video "Breaking Up The Girl" by Garbage. And after the finale, Tracy Grandstaff who voiced Daria came on with one of the VJ to present the winners of their online poll, "Mock The Vote". The least popular episodes were named and a final montage of alter egos, character images shown at the end of episodes.

- - -

There were two official books for the series. And yes, I do own them.

Both soft covers were released in 1998. "The Daria Database" (seventy-six pages) was written by Peggy Nicoll; she was the story editor for seasons four and five as well as a series writer. "The Daria Diaries" (seventy-eight pages) was written by Anne D. Bernstein; she was the head writer. Both were published by MTV Books.

The books were not a narrative, but rather a slice of the main character's life; the people and places around her. I guess you could call them scrapbooks of sorts.

- - - - - - - - - -

Rant.

The extras here are pretty cool. But there are stuff missing. There was a half hour retrospective hosted by Daria and Jane, "Daria: Look Back In Annoyance" (January 14th, 2002). It aired a week before the series finale, "Is It College Yet?" I found it on YouTube, the reason for its exclusion might be because the clips used on the program have the original music.

There was also a making-of special, "Behind The Scenes With Daria", an hour long program (February 18th, 2000). It would later re-air as a half hour special. Music issues may have been the reason too.

Also missing are the "Daria Day" chats. This was the first marathon, showing season one, right before the premiere of season two (February 16th, 1998). It had Daria and Jane superimposed in front of a window overlooking New York's Times Square. The same location used for MTV's "Total Request Live". The duo chatted about aired episodes and answered fan questions via MTV Online.

The big reveal were the ages. Daria and Jane were both sixteen. Quinn is fourteen and a half. Trent is twenty-one. There were twenty-eight chats, inserted at commercial breaks. Much like "Sarcastathon 3000", the animation was limited to their eyes and mouths. All of these could have very easily have fitted on the DVDs. The chats were just under a minute, some were roughly thirty seconds. I would've like to to have see these - and the "Mock The Vote" presentation.

- - -

I do wonder, what could've been.

MTV had wanted another season, but a reduced order, not thirteen, but seven episodes. Eichler wouldn't have it and opted for a series closer, "College". Originally the episode "Boxing Daria" (June 25th, 2001) was the show's finale. What would've happened had we gotten those seven episodes? Would we have gotten a full order if there was an eight season?

I suppose, I shouldn't complain too much, most show don't even get a closer.

There was in the works a spin-off series, centered on Trent's band, Mystik Spiral. A pilot teleplay was written. It's on the DVD (DVD-ROM, a PDF document). Think of it like the "The Monkees", various mischief as the band try to to make it big - without selling out. This too didn't happen.

And now?

A slim possibility exists. But I haven't heard anything new. There were some talk about a comeback, since MTV brought back "Beavis And Butt-head." for another season in 2011. The show was canceled in 1997 - why not "Daria"? She did get a mention in the new season. The two were chatting and Beavis mentions that Daria had killed herself. Butt-head corrects him saying she had moved to a different city. That's kinda nice.

Do a reboot. Same story - Daria Morgendorffer and her family have JUST moved into Lawndale and it's 2013. Same characters, new environment - same nonsense. Good times.

It took me two months to watch this collection, I was rationing the episodes. As I wrote, most of these were new to me. A few weeks ago I took out the box and started rewatching the show. I'm done. This show is very addictive and has aged quite well. Minus a couple of things such as cell phones looking like bricks and the Morgendorffer's dad converting his old home movies onto video cassettes. The dialog is just as crisp as it was when it first aired. *nods*

The characters feel real and unlike so many other animated shows, they actually grow. They are not the same people they were in season one - life happens. The other thing I enjoyed is its strong continuity; things/people who happen earlier, re-appear later. I appreciate that.

A good example is episode one where Daria is taken to the school's psychiatrist; her antisocial behavior. She is given a rorschach test. Her response the ink blot is "a herd of beautiful wild ponies running free across the plains".

The series finale has a flashback of her very first visit to the psychiatrist in kindergarten. She didn't know what to say to the blots so the doctor comments that different people see different things... like "a herd of beautiful wild ponies running free across the plains". *smiles*

I didn't catch that when I saw it in 2010, I did now - continuity.

Some of the alter egos I liked. She looks nice as Barbarella.

A note. If you choose the Play All option on the discs you will miss out on the "Sarcastathon 3000" intros.

There you have it. I do love "Daria". This show was the last of the old guard; actual, real entertainment - not mind numbing, cheaply produced reality programing which is what MTV has de-evolved into. Well, that and the lack of... music videos. The argument given is that people can find music videos on YouTube/internet, so there's no need for broadcast. This is true on a basic level, but only the artists that you're aware of. What about finding/being exposed to new music? That prospect has been axed. *sigh*

Next PT will pop up on June 20th. See you there. And I do very recommend this series set, it can be bought now for about twenty-five dollars or less online.

Sorry about this post being later than usual. I forgot today was Thursday. *shrugs*

Sure...

There's a fellow on DeviantArt, an artist named S-C who's done some fantastic "Daria" inspired artwork. Some of my favorites is "Daria's Boytoy" and "Old Friends" - Trent, Jane, Daria and Quinn meeting at a breezy café as adults. Check them out.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Target - June 11th, 2013

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Exclusive digibook with 32 pages of production images and artwork for DVD/Blu-Ray/Digital Copy combo $13.00
Exclusive digibook with 32 pages of production images and artwork for 3D Blu-Ray/Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $22.99

- - - - - - - - - -

$4.75 DVDs

Good Will Hunting
The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
Reservoir Dogs
Zoolander
Battle: Los Angeles
The Italian Job
Wedding Crashers
The Goonies
The Tourist
Sixteen Candles
Zombieland

- - - - - - - - - -

$10.00 DVDs

The Bourne Legacy
Ted: Unrated
21 Jump Street (reboot)
Prometheus
Fast Five: Extended Edition
The Hunger Games
The Expendables 2
Looper

- - - - - - - - - -

House Of Cards: The Complete First Season $24.99
The Newsroom: The Complete First Season (reboot series) $34.99
Burn Notice: Season Six $27.99
Minnie's The Wizard Of Dizz $12.99

Breaking Bad: Season 5 $29.99
Dexter: Season 7 $24.99
Justified: Season 3 $19.99
Game Of Thrones: Season 2 $29.99
The Simpsons: Season 15 $22.99
Big Bang Theory: Season 5 $14.99

I'm in no hurry to pick "Hansel & Gretel" (which is selling for $13.00, DVD) or "Oz The Great And Powerful", DVD $17.99. I'll pick up both soon enough. *nods*
Old 06-09-2013, 03:56 AM
Best Buy - June 11th, 2013

Mission: Impossible Quadrilogy
Exclusive store release, Blu-Ray set $29.99

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters
Exclusive streaming making-of feature through CinemaNow for Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo $14.99

- - - - - - - - -

$9.99 DVDs

Zero Dark Thirty
Skyfall
Red Dawn

- - - - - - - - -

$14.99 DVDs

Mama
Lincoln
This Is 40

- - - - - - - - -

$4.99 DVDs

Wedding Crashers/Wedding Singer: Double Feature

- - - - - - - - -

$5.99 DVDs

Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows
Inception
Crazy, Stupid, Love
The Town
Rock Of Ages
Heat/Goodfellas: Double Feature

- - - - - - - - -

Tosh.0: Cardigans Plus Casual Jackets $9.99
House Of Cards: The Complete First Season $29.99
The Newsroom: The Complete First Season $34.99
Major Crimes: Complete First Season $29.99
Wedding Band: The Complete Series $29.99
Burn Notice: Season Six $29.99
Rizzoli & Isles: The Complete Third Season $24.99
Duck Dynasty: Seasons 1 or 2 $7.99 (each)
Dexter: Season 7 $29.99
Game Of Thrones: Season 2 $37.99
Longmire: Season 1 $24.99
Everybody Loves Raymond: The Complete Series $79.99
House M.D.: The Complete Series $89.99
Married With Children: The Complete Series $29.99
The Twilight Zone: Fan Favorites $14.99
The Three Stooges: The Ultimate Collection $39.99
M*A*S*H: The Complete Series $99.99

- - - - - - - - -

$15.99 CD

"Black Sabbath - 13" 2 disc deluxe edition with exclusive bonus track

- - - - - - - - -

$29.99 CD (each)

"Black Sabbath - 13" box (2 disc deluxe edition with exclusive bonus track) with Circle tee shirt or Flame tee, $29.99

The "Oz The Great And Powerful" is selling for $19.99 (DVD) and $19.99 for "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" (DVD).