Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
The Dark Tower Ending *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Okay, obviously this Thread will contain MUCHO SPOILERS for the Dark Tower series by Stephen King, especially book 7, so if you have not read/completed the series, I urge you to. Afterwards, we'd love to have you stop back in with your fresh opinions.

You have been warned...

So I just finished the Dark Tower book 7 (Which is the final book) two nights ago, and just: WOW!! It was phenomenal! I loved every bit of it, the book was ingenious, and yet tragic as well. The deaths of Eddie and Jake were sad enough, but when poor Oy, the cute Billy-Bumbler was impalled on a tree-branch and died. (After saying "Olan." and licking Roland's hand, how sweet. ) I was pretty much torn apart, and when I came across the sentence: It did not take long to bury Oy, his body was much small for what a big heart that it held. (Or something to that extent, probably more poetic and able to tug on the heart-strings.) Was the only time ever that I have had to set a book down for a good fifteen minutes because what had happened was so heart-breaking.

However, the mute artist kinda peeved me. He shows up in the last 100 pages, we see all of these beloved characters die before/after which, yet he is left to live. Just a personal peeve I guess, but he bugged me nonetheless.

The end of Roland's tale was sufficient, with him walking alone into the Dark Tower, and then the ending in which Eddie, Jake, Susannah, and Oy (I know that his re-incarnation was only implied by King, but he pretty much said that it would happen and I like to believe that it did.) was all well. Then King went into a monologue about how the journey is what matters and not the ending. Afterwards, he showed us the real ending in which Roland is in a time-loop in which he must replay his quest for the Dark Tower, and this had been the penultimate time before he can reach the very top of the Tower. That got me mad. I felt like everybody had died for Roland's quest to the Tower, and it just all felt like it was for nothing, and the ending was just a major let-down for me. I know that this was to prove King's point about the journey-ending, and he said that he did not invent the ending nor was he very proud of it, but I wish that any other ending would have happened.

Was I the only person that felt this way about the last book, which all except for the very end was perfect, or do you Schmoes agree?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Each time he goes back to repeat the journey, he does something ELSE right.

Such as, this time he has the horn that he left behind on Jericho Hill.

Eventually, he'll get it right.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:04 AM
It's been awhile since I've finished this book, but I really felt the ending was appropriate. A few notes:

This is, literally, the only book I've ever read and cried. Seriously. Multiple times. Every main character's demise tore me up. I've read other books that I came close, but after following these guys for 6 freaking books, I couldn't help it. Damn you SK.

Roland's real goal is to stop the Crimson King and to save The Dark Tower. His imagined goal is to see The Dark Tower. Eventually he will realize that he does not need to see it and experience it to save it, and eventually he will realize that his selfish quest to see the DT will be his downfall. When he can stop himself from pushing forward, so will we, the reader. (or something profound like that.)
Old 02-02-2009, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=BatDaddy;2967064]
This is, literally, the only book I've ever read and cried. Seriously. Multiple times. Every main character's demise tore me up. I've read other books that I came close, but after following these guys for 6 freaking books, I couldn't help it. Damn you SK.
[QUOTE]

Yup, me too. (Especially Oy's for some reason, I mean I liked all of the characters, but I dreaded Oy's death the most, and he was an animal, in comparison to all of the deaths of the actually speaking-characters. Then when it actually came, it was so poetically written and tear-jerking.) Just goes to show what a great author Stephen King is. For real, when people say that he's a Horror author, I tell them to watch the Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, the Dark Tower series, etc.

Also, a question that I have with the ending was this: With each time that he relives the events of the Dark Tower quest, does he have the same people aiding his quest? Like, would Eddie, Susannah, Jake, Callahan and everybody else return somehow, or would he have a different Ka-Tet? I doubt that he would, but if he'd be chasing Walter again, who died, wouldn't he be going back in time or something to that extent, and would eventually meet up with the same people again?

Last edited by g1ng3rsnap9ed; 02-02-2009 at 04:58 PM..
Old 02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=g1ng3rsnap9ed;2967583][QUOTE=BatDaddy;2967064]
Quote:

Yup, me too. (Especially Oy's for some reason, I mean I liked all of the characters, but I dreaded Oy's death the most, and he was an animal, in comparison to all of the deaths of the actually speaking-characters. Then when it actually came, it was so poetically written and tear-jerking.) Just goes to show what a great author Stephen King is. For real, when people say that he's a Horror author, I tell them to watch the Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, the Dark Tower series, etc.

Also, a question that I have with the ending was this: With each time that he relives the events of the Dark Tower quest, does he have the same people aiding his quest? Like, would Eddie, Susannah, Jake, Callahan and everybody else return somehow, or would he have a different Ka-Tet? I doubt that he would, but if he'd be chasing Walter again, who died, wouldn't he be going back in time or something to that extent, and would eventually meet up with the same people again?

I think what I said in my first post kinda explains this:

Each time he goes back to repeat the quest, he does something else that's more "correct" than the time before. But he isn't aware of it.
So essentially the same thing happens each time, but one small addition leads towards completing the mission at SOME point in his repetition.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 AM
hmm...

I found the ending to be both appropriate and full of hope for Roland's final quest for the Dark Tower.

Being that, this time around, he has the horn (can't remember the name of the character who had it before) that he had left at the battle where his best friends were killed, I believe that this journey to the Tower will be Roland's last.

Also, if you'd like to know more about the "mute" Patrick Danville, I suggest that you read Insomnia. Not only is it an interesting read by itself, but it ties into the series heavily. Give it a shot.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCool View Post
I believe that this journey to the Tower will be Roland's last.
Hopefully he doesn't lose the fingers again and he might be able to actually do it.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:46 PM
I believe that every time he repeats his quest, he does reach the tower and save the beams, because obviously if he didn't then he wouldn't get to the point of repeating it- But he has to do it once for every alternate world there is.

Also, why didn't Danville draw Susannah some legs or Roland some new fingers? I would've changed some things, maybe have his ka tet alive and complete fighting the trio of the crimson king, mordred, and flagg inside the base of the tower.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 PM

I've read every Dark Tower book except this last one. I put it down after a few hundred pages because I went into its bulk after marathoning every DT book from Wastelands on, so I had too much of the series at once and needed a break at a pretty damn inopportune time.

I gotta pick it up again. As much as I suspect King rushed his vision after Wizard and Glass, Roland is an original and should-be classic journeying character. I also enjoyed "On Being Nineteen". The more I learn about King and his view of this series the more I can appreciate it as his magnum opus work.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM
You need to do yourself a favor and pick this book up NAO, Shinigami!!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:06 PM
adversity tries them

prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them.Thsale is a professional, loyal and reliable wow gold supplier online, we pioneered selling cheap wow gold. Welcome to thsale buy world of warcraft gold Buy Cheap WoW Gold, World of Warcraft Gold, Please look here! We are a Great MMORPG company. wow money and wow items,which is very cheap World of Warcraft gold !All US Server 24.99$/1000G on sell! Cheap wow gold,rs powerleveling,wow power leveling,Buy Cheapest/Safe/Fast WoW US EU Gold Power leveling
Old 05-05-2009, 04:18 PM
You bastard.