#1  
Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Where do you get your news?

Just curious as to where everyone goes to catch up on current events.
  #2  
Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM
I read the WSJ and the NY Times (shame to say), and usually catch an hour or so of CNN a day. I always try to catch the Factor too.
  #3  
Old 04-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
I read the WSJ and the NY Times (shame to say), and usually catch an hour or so of CNN a day. I always try to catch the Factor too.
Why is it a shame to read the NY Times? Yes, the editorial pages are more left than right, but the actual news reporting is good.

There's a reason that it's a newspaper of record.
  #4  
Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I used to watch Headline News all the time in the mornings before work and during lunch. But that channel has just got to tedious and showbiz oriented to watch.

During the day I'll watch MSNBC, Keith Olbermann, Rachel Maddow (sometimes), The Daily Show/Stephen Colbert, and if nothing else is on, Hardball. Sometimes I catch a couple CNN shows on the weekend, since all MSNBC does is Lockup marathons.

I don't read any real newspapers, but I check out Fark and Huffington Post online.

Fark is probably where I get the most straight up "news" stories and current events.
  #5  
Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 PM
SNL Weekend Update, Daily Show with Jon Stewart and last but not least The Colbert Report

And I really doubt I'm the only one like me.
  #6  
Old 04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
SNL Weekend Update, Daily Show with Jon Stewart and last but not least The Colbert Report.
I could be mistaken, but isn't nearly everything in the Weekend Update all made up?
  #7  
Old 04-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFactoryRadio View Post
I could be mistaken, but isn't nearly everything in the Weekend Update all made up?
Yeah, like he said, there's probably a lot of people who watch MSNBC.
  #8  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I rely on the voices inside my head.
  #9  
Old 04-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
Yeah, like he said, there's probably a lot of people who watch MSNBC.
What's that supposed to mean?
  #10  
Old 04-08-2009, 11:36 PM
News:
Raw Story - www.rawstory.com
Democracy Now - www.democracynow.org
Rock Creek Free Paper

News Editorials/Opinions:
Glenn Greenwald - www.salon.com/opinions/greenwald
Bill Moyers -Bill Moyer's Journal on PBS
Noam Chomsky - http://www.chomsky.info/

Entertainment "News":
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report

Occasional Investigative Journalism:
The Brad Blog - http://www.bradblog.com/

I'm somewhat aware of what's being discussed and pushed on Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Washington Post, talk radio, etc. but mostly ignore it except as an example of what most people are hearing. Of the mainsteam stars, Rachel Maddow was the only one I could stand, but even her since she got her show has stopped being very substantive, factual, or worthwhile.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 04-11-2009 at 03:42 AM..
  #11  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Every evening I catch CTV National News before bed, I read the Toronto Star when I'm at work, and I watch the Daily Show for the real news.
  #12  
Old 04-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFactoryRadio View Post
What's that supposed to mean?
That MSNBC isn't a real news channel and it only reports what Obama and other authorized members of the liberal, socialist cabal tell it to.

We're part of a secret group. MSNBC is but one tool we use to spread our agenda. Soon you will know our name...

We are the Communist Liberal Islamic Terrorists for Obama to Rule the United States with Socialism.

AKA: C.L.I.T.O.R.U.S.S.
  #13  
Old 04-09-2009, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFactoryRadio View Post
I could be mistaken, but isn't nearly everything in the Weekend Update all made up?
Nothing on Weekend Update is made up. Well except for the jokes.
  #14  
Old 04-09-2009, 06:34 AM
MSNBC
Olbermann
Rachel Maddow
A little bit of Hardball ( I really hate Mathews, especially as of late)
Meet The Press
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Huffington Post
Drudge Report
fivethirtyeight.com (Nate Silver rules)


I am your typical liberal I suppose, maybe excluding Drudge. It's an ugly, and obviously very conservative site (Matt Drudge is a huge tool), but I have been going there for years.
  #15  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
News:
Raw Story - www.rawstory.com
Democracy Now - www.democracynow.org
Rock Creek Free Paper

News Editorials/Opinions:
Glenn Greenwald - www.salon.com/opinions/greenwald
Bill Moyers -Bill Moyer's Journal on PBS
Noam Chomsky - http://www.chomsky.info/

Entertainment "News":
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report

Occasional Investigative Journalism:
The Brad Blog - http://www.bradblog.com/

I'm somewhat aware of what's being discussed and pushed on Fox, CNN, MSNBC, NY Times, Washington Post, etc. but mostly ignore it except as an example of what most people are hearing. Of the mainsteam stars, Rachel Maddow was the only one I could stand, but even her since she got her show has stopped being very substantive, factual, or worthwhile.
What do you think of Anderson Cooper?
  #16  
Old 04-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
That MSNBC isn't a real news channel and it only reports what Obama and other authorized members of the liberal, socialist cabal tell it to.

We're part of a secret group. MSNBC is but one tool we use to spread our agenda. Soon you will know our name...

We are the Communist Liberal Islamic Terrorists for Obama to Rule the United States with Socialism.

AKA: C.L.I.T.O.R.U.S.S.
Yeah, pretty much :P
  #17  
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Communist News Network
Fox News
MSNBC
Wall street Journal
Boise Statesman

I don't descriminate

They all report the same shit.


Fox News is evil of course....of course....but I love 'em anyway.
  #18  
Old 04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
online:
New York Times
Washington Post
MSNBC

TV:
CNN
The Daily Show

Paper:
my local paper
  #19  
Old 04-10-2009, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Communist News Network
I really hope that is a joke. CNN is probably the most "moderate" of the big 3 news networks. It also is probably the most boring.
  #20  
Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
I really hope that is a joke. CNN is probably the most "moderate" of the big 3 news networks. It also is probably the most boring.
Sadly CNN being called the most moderate of the three isn't saying much these days.
  #21  
Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston_79 View Post
Sadly CNN being called the most moderate of the three isn't saying much these days.


I know a lot of republicans like to say MSNBC is a channel made for only Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro. Outside of Maddow and Olbermann though, it really isn't that much different than CNN, which is fairly neutral. I just think the "normal" news shows (MSNBC Live and whatever) throughout the day is slightly better.


Hell, that crazy fucker Pat Buchanan is on about 12 hours a day. I don't mind Joe Scabarough though.
  #22  
Old 04-11-2009, 01:59 AM
CNN, but I'm so tired of this twittering bullshit that I might stop watching cable news altogether. I get most useful information from just reading columns. Slate has a lot of really good people, and I used to read Rolling Stone exclusively for the Matt Taibbi columns, but that won't be enough. I guess the switch to online news is inevitable.
  #23  
Old 04-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Cable news is a fucking joke...
  #24  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai Mai Jew View Post
Cable news is a fucking joke...
Great video. Thanks for posting.
  #25  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai Mai Jew View Post
Cable news is a fucking joke...
So you are telling me that Glen Beck, Lou Dobbs, and Sean Hannity are liars and fucking idiots?! I am shocked!
  #26  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
I know a lot of republicans like to say MSNBC is a channel made for only Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro. Outside of Maddow and Olbermann though, it really isn't that much different than CNN, which is fairly neutral.
Unfortunately, people who watch Fox have been completely hoodwinked into actually believing that MSNBC is a "liberal" station just because it has Olbermann on it. They have him on as a rival to O'Reilly. He's just as sensationalistic as O'Reilly, it's just the other side of the spectrum. Even then, how liberal is Olbermann really? How often do you hear him attack the Iraq War? I don't watch on a regular basis, but I haven't heard more than a sentence or two every once in a while when I have watched it. That may have something to do with the fact that MSNBC is owned by General Electric, one of the world's largest arms dealers.

Believe me, if Olbermann ever crossed a line or if his ratings dropped, they'd throw him out the door in a heartbeat.

One way that Fox keeps its viewers hooked is by villainizing the other stations, especially MSNBC just because Olbermann is on it. That's how you stop people from trying to ever see things from another perspective, you tell them that the other side is not only wrong, but that's "evil" or the way Fox likes to put it, "hurting America."

Every time they shut up a guest who's disagreeing with them, turn off their microphone, yell at them until they shut up, or dismiss them as being "anti-America"; they put one more nail on the coffin of honest debate and journalistic integrity.
  #27  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I like to go to The Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/

It's one of the best news organizations out there right now, probably very much because it's a non-profit and not owned by a worldwide conservative media conglomerate corporation.

And in a study of 25 British newspapers, it ranked (in 2007) as the best and the most transparent. It's worth checking out!
  #28  
Old 08-04-2011, 04:34 PM
The Daily Show

Colbert Report

BBC News

Cspan



Bill Maher

Huffington Post

Fark

DailyKos

The Onion!

Last edited by John@$$; 08-04-2011 at 05:32 PM..
  #29  
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
That MSNBC isn't a real news channel and it only reports what Obama and other authorized members of the liberal, socialist cabal tell it to.

We're part of a secret group. MSNBC is but one tool we use to spread our agenda. Soon you will know our name...

We are the Communist Liberal Islamic Terrorists for Obama to Rule the United States with Socialism.

AKA: C.L.I.T.O.R.U.S.S.
Ha ha. I don't remember writing this at all. I can be pretty clever sometimes.
  #30  
Old 08-04-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post
Ha ha. I don't remember writing this at all. I can be pretty clever sometimes.
Hey, I love the quote you made. And yes, you can be pretty clever at times.
  #31  
Old 08-05-2011, 12:14 AM
And the topic of politics wins again. People on edge based on where others get their news from. Fact check, wherever you get your news, that program has an agenda. There is no such thing as an unbiased station. I personally prefer CNN so now you can tell where I lean.
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump