Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Dinosaur Fiction?

You know, I just finished reading Jurassic Park (been reading a lot of Crichton lately, waiting for his final, posthumous novel to be released), and it made me realize how much I fucking loved dinosaurs as a kid.

And they're still fucking awesome. So who here has some suggestions, as far as good (or bad, even) dinosaur fiction/non-fiction?

Obviously, this one is the obvious choice...

Old 11-11-2009, 11:25 AM
I am also curious to know if anyone has any good recommendations. I loved Jurassic Park but would love to read another dino book. The only other one I have read was Second Summer and that one war really bad.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:43 PM
I've mentioned this before in other threads:

Far Seer by Robert J Sawyer

This is my all time favorite book. I can't recommend this one enough. The basic story is that on some other planet, dinosaurs evolved into a society, but things are far from perfect. Their lives are ruled by superstition, and even though they are supposedly civilized, it doesn't take much to provoke their blood lust.

The main character is an astronomy student named Afsan. He reaches the age when he must go on a religious pilgrimage, and it's on that journey that he figures out that there world is not as it seems. Essentially it's an allegory about Galileo v the Church.

It's fascinating, exciting, sometimes funny, filled with mystery and conspiracy. It's a quick read (320 pages) and you can get it used off Amazon for less that $2.00.

It was followed by two equally good sequels: Fossil Hunter and Foreigner.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:17 PM
I've heard that the Anonymous Rex series is really good; I've been meaning to read it for some time now.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Ray Bradbury has some short stories in print and on audio book-"A Sound Of Thunder" (of which a movie was made few years ago-so so not as cool as the book!) I'd check that one out Click image for larger version

Name:	Z.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	8507
Old 06-20-2010, 01:06 AM

Raptor Red by Robert Bakker
My absolute favorite fictional dinosaur book. I thought upon first hearing about the book that it would be just a fun read and that it wouldn't really be that great. I was dead wrong. It has all the characterization and heart of a Pixar film coupled with the action and gore of Jurassic Park.

Also:

Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight
Pulpy trashy fun, but fun nonetheless. Better than the movie at any rate.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:15 AM

Raptor Red by Robert Bakker
My absolute favorite fictional dinosaur book. I thought upon first hearing about the book that it would be just a fun read and that it wouldn't really be that great. I was dead wrong. It has all the characterization and heart of a Pixar film coupled with the action and gore of Jurassic Park.

Also:

Carnosaur by Harry Adam Knight
Pulpy trashy fun, but fun nonetheless. Better than the movie at any rate.