Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 PM
Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

Picked it up yesterday, and loving it thus far, in much the same way I love all of Chuck's books. But the style in which it was written definitely requires much more careful concentration and patience, as it doesn't adhere to conventional grammar. It reminds of A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess on some level, one of my favorite novels ever. Anyone else reading it?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:31 AM
i don't think i have the patience for it right now. i hate how it's written i'm ready to throw it out of the window.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Finished it about a week ago; it certainly took a level of patience and concentration, but if you stay with it its very rewarding; the style reminded me of Clockwork Orange, one of my favorite novels. It's definitely not a book to read if you are just being introduced to Palahniuk, but definitely worth checking out once you are familiar with his work.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Is he still writing in the same sardonic voice that he couldn't shake for a good number of novels? I'd be interested to see his work, but his last two novels didn't interest me in the slightest. I read the beginning of both but it all felt like an exercise for him rather than a book worth my time.

Last edited by Cop No. 633; 06-20-2009 at 10:41 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't think I'll read this one. I tried Rant and just couldn't finish. Snuff bothered me because it was different first person point-of-views but they all had the same voice. I couldn't finish it either. Sigh.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Palahniuk is one of those authors I've been meaning to pick up for the longest time but have never gotten around to it, but I do have a copy of his one novel, Haunted I believe it was called.

And don't worry, Anne Rice, I'll get to you too...in due time.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:41 AM
Haven't read Pygmy; but I am reading Invisible Monsters right now. I've always been curious about Palahniuk, and IM was the only one of his novels at the library that wasn't checked out.

I don't what to make of the book. On the one hand, it is interesting and sometimes darkly funny; but on the other, the characters are so self-centered, shallow and disgusting, that it's hard to even care about what's happening.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
I don't think I'll read this one. I tried Rant and just couldn't finish. Snuff bothered me because it was different first person point-of-views but they all had the same voice. I couldn't finish it either. Sigh.

Really?

I loved Rant...I don't know, it just captivated me from beginning to end, despite a story that was less than amazing...

A great CP read is Guts, the short story he wrote for playboy(?)
Old 05-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm just about done with him. I've read Haunted, Lullaby, and Diary, and I have to say that none of them were hits with me. I would say Lullaby was the most interesting and centered of the 3. Haunted really dragged on in some places and became redundant. Diary was a total mess of a novel. I remember getting over 3/4's of the way through and having to skim the rest over because it was that bad. I think he tries to hard.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:09 PM
I loved Rant