Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Music
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
Jack White: Most Talented Musician Working Today?


I Know, of all the pics i could use this one? Hey! Screw YOU!

Been listening to a lot of his stuff (including all 57 bands he's in) again lately, and just wonder what you guys think? Is he the most talented musician in the biz today? You got the White Stripes, which are probably the most creative (and IMO best) project he is involved in where he explores many different styles, from the indie roots of the first few, notably Elephant and White Blood Cells, to the more piano based (and even a marimba!) sounds of Get Behind Me Satan, to the many sounds of Icky Thump (you got the classic white stripes sound, a couple bagpipe based songs with Jack on the mandolin, some acoustic work, and many other styles I don't know how to describe, but you know if you have heard it. Then you have the Raconteurs, which have more of a Southern influence, and while Jack White is more backseat in this band to Brendan Benson, his influence is still very noticeable, a couple favorites of mine are "Old Enough" and "The Switch and the Spur". Now you got Dead Weather, which sounds promising from the first couple singles. I also loved (I know a lot of people hated) his song for the Bond with Alicia Keys "Another Way To Die!" he played almost every instrument (outside of the horns) on this. He also has done some of the scores for Cold Mountain and I believe a couple other movies, which I haven't seen to comment, so I will let you tell me. So let me ask you, where do you think he ranks among todays musicians?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Ball and Biscuit is one of the best songs I have ever heard. ever. a 7 minute jam fest. with some...really good guitar playing.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 PM
Jack White is a god and one of my favorite musicians.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
I personally think he hit his peak as a songwriter with White Blood Cells. I haven't wanted to revisit the albums past that after I heard them a couple of times. I thought Icky Thump was boring and offering nothing new. It was White on autopilot. Get Behind Me Satan was listenable, but I'd be lying if I said I wanted to hear any of the songs again. I found a few a chore to sit through like Red Rain. I really think the Stripes have spent all of White's creative energy.

He's a good musician though. I think he's showed what he can do as a guitarist, which is mainly blues influenced. But I can dig it. He's a serviceable drummer, which is always cool.

I never cared for his side project. I just found them to be boring pop. And from what I heard of the Dead Weather, I'd say they're DOA for me. I'm not really interested.

So overall, I think White is a very good musician, good songwriter, and so-so singer. I wouldn't say he's the most talented. He is definitely a hard working guy, and I appreciate that. I just wish I could enjoy his output more than I do.

I'd say Nick Cave is my personal choice in terms of the most talented of the singer/songwriters. He has written a film, made his own music with the Bad Seeds (and Grinderman), scored two films, and he's written a novel. The guy's supremely talented at singing, at lyric writing, and even gets down great on the piano. Then again, he's 51, so he's had much more experience over Jack White. But I'll take Nick Cave's best songs over anything the Stripes have put out their entire career.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2009, 06:55 PM
He certainly is very talented. My love affair with The White Stripes came to an end, but we're still on speaking terms and I visit them in the holidays.

However, his side-projects still get a spin on the ol' ipod at least once a day. Today just happened to be Broken Boy Soldier.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
My love for all of Jack's projects is well documented. I think he's pretty brilliant and I love the various sounds he goes for. Broken Boy Soldiers is a great great album and his best since White Blood Cells.

I think he will be remembered as something very special although he already has the respect and admiration from a big swath of musicians.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
He's a fucking great guitarist, that's for sure. But, even though Elephant might be the best album I've heard of this decade, "the best musician working today" might be pushing it. I'd be more likely to side with Thom Yorke or Jonny Greenwood, even though Radiohead's been around for years. And once I've heard more of their stuff, the guys from Animal Collective may join those ranks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2009, 11:14 PM
I'd cast my vote for Matthew Friedberger. He writes all the music and plays all the instruments (except drums) on The Fiery Furnaces' albums as well as his solo material, and is just overall an incredible songwriter. He's also incredibly prolific (seriously, I'm pretty sure the guy sweats music), without having the rapid pace of writing and recording diminish either his ideas or the quality of his output.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:16 AM
MIKE PATTON
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2009, 10:58 AM
This guy...

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
MIKE PATTON
You win the grand prize!!!!

Wait, I did post "Who is the biggest douchebag in music", right?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-14-2009, 03:48 PM
I love Jack White's guitar playing, but I fucking hate his singing. It's why I can't stand The White Stripes. Awesome music, awful vocals.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombievictim View Post
You win the grand prize!!!!

Wait, I did post "Who is the biggest douchebag in music", right?
Have you met him?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-14-2009, 07:44 PM
I think it's important to note that 'talent' and 'quality' do not go hand-in-hand. Rush may be talented musicians, but their music is mostly unlistenable, wanky crap that lacks direction and immediacy. 'Wanky' and 'unlistenable' are not what I'd describe the music Jack White makes, but even though he's clearly a talented musician, he lacks originality - a lot of people have noted that the music of The White Stripes sounds like it was made in the 1970s, and that's the problem I have here; I don't want to listen to music that sounds like it was made in the 70s, I want to listen to music that reminds me that music itself is progressing.

And while we're on the subject of talent, I can think of many musicians working today that are arguably more talented (and even better) than Jack White. Among them: Arve Henriksen, Richard D. James, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Tim Hecker, Susumu Yokota, James Blackshaw, Merzbow, C. Spencer Yeh, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 AM


Funniest thread I've seen in a LONG time!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-15-2009, 12:48 PM
No. Even Jack White would (hopefully) tell you that he is FAR from being one of the most talented musicians working today. What with guys like Dennis Chambers, John Scofield, John Frusciante, Victor Wooten, Carter Beauford, Danny Carey, Terry Bozzio, Jake Cinninger, Eric Krasno, Trey Anastasio, Warren Haynes, Stanley Jordan, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Flea, Jerry Cantrell, Tom Morello, Derek Trucks, John Medeski, Billy Martin, Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez, Thomas Pridgen, Tony Royster Jr., Virgil Donati, Jim James, Luther Dickinson, Prince, Thom Yorke, Neil Peart, Maynard James Keenan, and Lenny White still working today.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post
I think it's important to note that 'talent' and 'quality' do not go hand-in-hand. Rush may be talented musicians, but their music is mostly unlistenable, wanky crap that lacks direction and immediacy. 'Wanky' and 'unlistenable' are not what I'd describe the music Jack White makes, but even though he's clearly a talented musician, he lacks originality - a lot of people have noted that the music of The White Stripes sounds like it was made in the 1970s, and that's the problem I have here; I don't want to listen to music that sounds like it was made in the 70s, I want to listen to music that reminds me that music itself is progressing.

And while we're on the subject of talent, I can think of many musicians working today that are arguably more talented (and even better) than Jack White. Among them: Arve Henriksen, Richard D. James, Keith Fullerton Whitman, Tim Hecker, Susumu Yokota, James Blackshaw, Merzbow, C. Spencer Yeh, etc.

Its not about if his music sounds like it was from the 70s its about what he does with his influences. You can like White's music or not whatever band he's playing in but he is a unique artist that has created a unique sound. He has influences but White Stripes only sound like the White Stripes.

I wouldn't say anyone is THE most talented artist working today thats just semantics but really I don't see why seeing he's one of the most talented and interesting guys in rock is so shocking.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-16-2009, 08:59 PM
PUKE! at the electronic "musicians" being mentioned.


As for the topic at hand, Jack's good but nowhere near the most talented.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinton View Post
Its not about if his music sounds like it was from the 70s its about what he does with his influences. You can like White's music or not whatever band he's playing in but he is a unique artist that has created a unique sound. He has influences but White Stripes only sound like the White Stripes.
We must be listening to different bands, then.

The White Stripes don't sound exactly like Zeppelin per se - it would be ridiculous to make such an assumption - but it's not that hard to hear the Zeppelin influence in their music. If it's easy to hear where a certain band's sound is coming from, then that band is clearly not trying hard enough to craft a sound of their own.

Their songs may be original, but their sound isn't - the former is what leads people to believe that only The White Stripes sound like The White Stripes, but making music that's truly unique and original requires a bit more than the ability to write your own lyrics and music; it requires the ability to add your own unique twists and turns that whomever influenced you musically could not come up with during the tenure of their career(s). I have yet to hear those 'unique twists and turns' from The White Stripes.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
PUKE! at the electronic "musicians" being mentioned.
Have you listened to any of them?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post
Have you listened to any of them?
I've heard the Aphex Twins, Merzbow, Susumu Yokota and the like. I'd rather shove 40 inch nails into my fuckin' ear drums than hear crap like that again.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
I've heard the Aphex Twins, Merzbow, Susumu Yokota and the like. I'd rather shove 40 inch nails into my fuckin' ear drums than hear crap like that again.
YEAH! Slipknot rules! Fuck those faggoty electronic noise bands! Slipknot are edgy and dangerous, even though my mother and grandfather happen to like 'em!

Ignorance is bliss.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:25 PM
"Yay! There's a guy who disagree with me, let's go search through his posts to find something to use against him! Ha! The guy likes Slipknot! Nevermind the fact that he has referred to them as simply dumb fun on a number of occasions, let's use THAT to judge the entirety of his musical taste! Oh, I know, then I'll tell him IGNORANCE IS BLISS! Ha! I'm so brilliant!"

Gotta love irony.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
"Yay! There's a guy who disagree with me, let's go search through his posts to find something to use against him! Ha! The guy likes Slipknot! Nevermind the fact that he has referred to them as simply dumb fun on a number of occasions, let's use THAT to judge the entirety of his musical taste! Oh, I know, then I'll tell him IGNORANCE IS BLISS! Ha! I'm so brilliant!"

Gotta love irony.
You didn't really post enough in the Music forums to give me a complete impression of your tastes in music, but you did seem awfully serious about Slipknot when you defended their live show. You also took Lacuna Coil pretty seriously as well despite the fact that they suck. But I'm just going to let this one slide...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Let's not confuse most prolific with most talented. He's very prolific and hard-working. Musically, I have mixed opinions about him. I love the loud, bluesy, slide guitar stuff. Don't care for the other songs.

Burt Bacharach is the most talented musician still working today that I can think of. His harmonies changed popular music.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:21 AM
i like him but hes fairly limited in his cannon
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countchocula View Post
Have you met him?
That matters why?

Oh wait, it doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-17-2009, 09:51 PM
The fact that nobody mentioned John Zorn as the most talented musician around makes me lose faith in you people.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post
You didn't really post enough in the Music forums to give me a complete impression of your tastes in music, but you did seem awfully serious about Slipknot when you defended their live show. You also took Lacuna Coil pretty seriously as well despite the fact that they suck. But I'm just going to let this one slide...

Actually, you're going to let his, and everyone else's, opinions "slide." I know you're new here, but we don't give people shit for what they do and don't like; we respect each other, and each other's opinions. Keeping up an attitude like the one you've displayed so far will result in a swift banning, so I strongly suggest a changing of tune... if you want to stick around here, that is.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lyrik View Post
The fact that nobody mentioned John Zorn as the most talented musician around makes me lose faith in you people.
good call he is pretty awesome, i d say that tom waits and Yoshimi P-We are others i highly rate
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post
We must be listening to different bands, then.

The White Stripes don't sound exactly like Zeppelin per se - it would be ridiculous to make such an assumption - but it's not that hard to hear the Zeppelin influence in their music. If it's easy to hear where a certain band's sound is coming from, then that band is clearly not trying hard enough to craft a sound of their own.

Their songs may be original, but their sound isn't - the former is what leads people to believe that only The White Stripes sound like The White Stripes, but making music that's truly unique and original requires a bit more than the ability to write your own lyrics and music; it requires the ability to add your own unique twists and turns that whomever influenced you musically could not come up with during the tenure of their career(s). I have yet to hear those 'unique twists and turns' from The White Stripes.


Well then is anybody original. To discount someone becuase you can hear their influences would discount the majority of music and movies for that matter. Modest Mous sounds heavily like Pixies and a lot of Spoon sounds like a more melodic Pavement but that doesnt make them less unique bands in their won right. All artists are influenced by other artists. Its what they build from their influences. A CD like White Blood Cells stands on its own outside of its influences to me.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM
Originality lies in one's ability to craft new sounds using old ones as a blueprint. Example: Led Zeppelin, whom I mentioned earlier, were influenced by blues artists like Robert Johnson, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddley, etc. Their songs had a blues vibe to them, but that's all it was, a vibe. Zeppelin took that vibe and transformed it into something completely new using a unique style drumming and guitar playing that artists like Johnson and Diddley never once thought of.

The White Stripes, like Zeppelin, have their share of musical influences, but Zeppelin wore those influences like simple badges of honor on their sleeves - the clothes were something new. The White Stripes, on the other hand, practically wear the clothes of their influences, and as a result, there's barely anything new to be found in their kind of sound.

So what I'm saying is, of course artists are influenced by other artists - I would be naive to assume otherwise. But influences should only be inspirations and nothing more, and to be original means to come up with ideas that your influences previously could not have come up with. When I hear the guitar licks of the White Stripes, I'm always convinced that Jimmy Page could have easily wrote them up on a drunken Saturday night when Zeppelin were in their prime. Jack White's Page-like guitar playing may be coming from his own head - he wrote the music after all, but one can easily have the false impression of someone else's ideas being their own ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
Ever since Og hit a fat beat on the skull of a pterodactyl, musicians have taken influences and advanced them in the mainstream - cf: Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, The Clash
And that's the point I'm trying to make - no recording artist can be entirely original, but it's important that they take music into new and exciting directions. To me, The White Stripes have failed to advance music; instead, they are re-covering old ground - music like that appeals to a lot of people, but not to me. If I wanted to hear the 'Zeppelin sound', I would listen to Led Zeppelin.

Last edited by Cenopath; 05-18-2009 at 06:18 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lyrik View Post
The fact that nobody mentioned John Zorn as the most talented musician around makes me lose faith in you people.
I forgot him on my list.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-18-2009, 05:36 PM
There is no recording artist today that isn't from a discernible lineage (with the possible exception of Lee Scratch Perry, and there's a case to be made there). Ever since Og hit a fat beat on the skull of a pterodactyl, musicians have taken influences and advanced them in the mainstream - cf: Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, The Clash - or simply ripped them off - cf: Oasis, Flowered Up.

Music is a nail-bomb. It may explode in many directions, but it still comes from the same source.

Heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I dig his Elvis impression.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Jack White is awesome hes one of the very few newer artist that I listen to
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
JACK WHO ?

Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-08-2009, 09:43 PM
He does a great job on the guitar, but I am not a fan of his. I tried numerous of times to get into his music, but nothing. I always wondered why he had such a huge following. He is a great guitar player, but there many nowadays too.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 PM
Yeah, or Cecil Taylor. Or Ornette Coleman. Or ORL.

I know stoned-out, washed-up bar musicians who do more interesting stuff than Jack White.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 AM
He is good but my favorite musician today is...

Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump