Old 06-27-2000, 06:04 PM
Hey! I just noticed this discussion and quite enjoyed the back and forth, I must say...this is what I like about this new message board, people who love movies talking ABOUT MOVIES and everything around them. I love it...I really do!

I'm also SOOOOOOO GLAD to see that up till now (praise the Lord), 99% of most of the discussions have kept a mature tone, and resolved disagreements within themselves. Phew! You don't know how much I worried about this board turning into a "you suck because...well, just because!" kinda thing.

Okay...that's it...that's my 2 cents for the day...just wanted to praise my own board, I guess... [img]/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Boy, whatta ego!! hehehe
Old 07-08-2000, 11:41 AM
I consider Joblo as real critic, no matter what Joblo himself says.

You don't need to learn film theory to be a good critic. There are many critics who know film theory very well, but they are still bad critics. They are inconsistent, they have a very narrow taste in movies, they are not good writers and they are not able to think good arguments on their own.

I read a lot of "real" critics and only very few of them are as good as Joblo. I think Joblo does analyze movies just as much as any film school graduate, he simply takes a different approach.

Personally I have a pretty "adult" filmtaste, but I can appreciate cheese as well. Haven't seen BE yet, I guess I will rent it on video.

The big difference between Joblo and a traditional film critic is the fact that Joblo prefers cheesy, campy entertainment over boring "art". I think he has point there. Even if a film has great performances, beutiful cinematography and intelligent script, those things don't mean much if the story doesn't grab 90 percent of the viewers.

I'm with you on that one Joblo, even if I have a longer attention span. Hell, I even dig films of Andrei Tarkovski, and they are slower than anything else I have ever seen. But if I wrote a review for any of his films, I would give a big warning for my readers: THIS FILM IS EXTREMELY SLOW! Unfortunately, most critics wouldn't do that.

I put a topic conserning film critics on the Rant, Rant, Rant two weeks ago. People, please write there!

Old 07-10-2000, 06:01 PM
It really is amazing how personal people can get if you merely say you liked a movie that they didn't like. JoBlo, your credentials even get slammed....but don't worry about that. The 'critic' is professionally oriented to point out all of the negatives in anything. Very little is positive in any critics rendition. It is historic & widely understood that virtually all critics have a failed purpose on what they critique. You obviously liked Battlefield earth as many of us did. I applaud your honesty & lack of sway or influence from the pressures either way.

This movie never got a fair break, in my opinion. But it is also interesting how well the book is doing. It seems that there is a rekindled interest in the book. Even the most fiercely negative critic has acknowledged the book's greatness.

My advice to you is read the book. I'm going to wait for the DVD myself.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by QUENTIN
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHIT? AS FOR CRITICS AND AUDIENCES WANTING A SCI-FI FILM TO FIT TO A CERTAIN MOLD AND SAYING THAT THIS ONE DOESN'T, WHICH IT DOES, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? THIS IS CRAPPY SCI-FI LIKE TONS OF OTHER CRAPPY SCI-FI THATS PUT OUT EACH YEAR YOU WAN'T TO WATCH A MOLD BREAKING SCI-FI FILM? GO RENT 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY OR DARK CITY THOSE ARE MOLD BREAKING FILMS AND CRITICS AND (INTELLIGENT) AUDIENCES LOVE THEM.

P.S. I KNOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE CHEEZ AND THERE ARE SOME CHEEZY FLICKS I LIKE BUT THIS WAS A BAD STINKING MOLDY PUTRID PIECE OF CHEEZ
How the hell did QUENTIN become moderator?!

Well, the cultural impact has finally sunken in (to quote Mr. Cranky), what do people think of it over 3 years later?

(this dusty old thing should be moved to the General forum)
Old 11-02-2003, 04:59 PM
What's up with people bumping up all these old threads. It's just more work for me having to move it to the proper forum now!
Old 11-02-2003, 05:18 PM
I thought it was decent, 7/10
Old 11-02-2003, 06:39 PM
I enjoyed Battlefield: Earth as a big, dumb, and crazy summer blockbuster. It had decent SFX, a wonderfully-nasty performance by John Travolta, and a cool, if absurd plot. It sits proudly on my DVD shelf and is a Saturday night with buttered popcorn favorite of mine, but, IMHO, it's not as good as other "unfairly reviled" films such as Gigli and, to a much higher degree, The Order.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sigur509
I thought it was decent, 7/10
I respect your opinion, 10/10.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by QUENTIN
AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! HOW CAN YOU PEOPLE LIKE THIS SHIT? AS FOR CRITICS AND AUDIENCES WANTING A SCI-FI FILM TO FIT TO A CERTAIN MOLD AND SAYING THAT THIS ONE DOESN'T, WHICH IT DOES, HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT? THIS IS CRAPPY SCI-FI LIKE TONS OF OTHER CRAPPY SCI-FI THATS PUT OUT EACH YEAR YOU WAN'T TO WATCH A MOLD BREAKING SCI-FI FILM? GO RENT 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY OR DARK CITY THOSE ARE MOLD BREAKING FILMS AND CRITICS AND (INTELLIGENT) AUDIENCES LOVE THEM.

P.S. I KNOW THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE CHEEZ AND THERE ARE SOME CHEEZY FLICKS I LIKE BUT THIS WAS A BAD STINKING MOLDY PUTRID PIECE OF CHEEZ
Uh.......... .

Anyways, I agree with Jon Lyrik. I love this movie, 10/10. It's a fucking masterpiece, the Gone with the Wind of it's generation and a great one at that, how this film didn't win any academy awards is beyond me.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:17 AM
Its funny I have always heard the term "that movie mus t have been shot while they were high". I never actually believed til I saw this film.

Admittedly this is a great film for all the wrong reasons. I think why it is so unintenionally funny is becuas e they thoguht they were making a really IMPORTANT film. I guess thats why the camera is always at a 75 degree angle or the screen occasionally turns blue for no reason.

This is also features the dumbest villian ever. Why didn't he just give all the weapons to the humans. It would saved a lot of hard-earned time. The dialogue was hysterical. It felt everybody was just doing whatever the Hell they wanted even if it didn't make any sense.

I personally love the scene where Travolta magaes to say "leverage" six thousand times.

8/10 this is so pathetic its hysterical. Did they really think it would be successful. I want to make this clear Im giving this a great grade because it is bad in the realms of Plan 9. So bad its funny.

By the way I thought the book was much better.

Last edited by chinton; 11-03-2003 at 11:19 AM..
Old 11-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hannibal21
Uh.......... .

Anyways, I agree with Jon Lyrik. I love this movie, 10/10. It's a fucking masterpiece, the Gone with the Wind of it's generation and a great one at that, how this film didn't win any academy awards is beyond me.
Actually, I was rating Sigur's opinion.

I rate your's a 10/10.
Old 11-03-2003, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by JoBlo
In response to cmoose:

.....and I don't intend to study the intrinsic value of character development vs the "cinematrographic" intentions of the filmmaker. That ain't my shtick.
Joblo made an orthographical error, wow , you can take that as odd...

Without much further ado, i'd give BFE an acceptable 5/10 using the Joblo scale of course.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Other
What's up with people bumping up all these old threads. It's just more work for me having to move it to the proper forum now!
I don't want to brag or anything, but I think I might have something to do with this...
Old 11-04-2003, 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Lyrik
Actually, I was rating Sigur's opinion.

I rate your's a 10/10.
Oh, ok.

The movie stunk, btw.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Hannibal21
The movie stunk, btw.
I'm amazed that you thought it stunk.
Old 11-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon Lyrik
How the hell did QUENTIN become moderator?!
Yeah, I kinda wonder the same thing...

Agree with The Other, whats up with old threads getting bumped up.. Let them R.I.P. gee..
Old 11-05-2003, 03:38 PM
I loved Battlefield Earth, a delightful, cheesy, fun movie. I had a blast with it. I could care less what a bunch of internet geeks at IMDb.com care, I loved it and I own the DVD.

It was over the top, had elements of the absurd and had it's "go good it's bad" moments, but damnit, I was enterined and I had a blast with it.

I think most people hate this movie because they think they are supposed to...like they'd lose movie geek points for admitting to liking it.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 PM
Misunderstood Masterpiece

I could literally go on forever about how this movie should have been a blockbuster if only the world had more science fiction lovers. It at least gets me interested in reading the book. The purpose of this movie was to not just entertainment, but also transport the audience to a whole otherworldly perspective. And that's exactly what this movie did for me. Unfortunately, I didn't find out it was a "flop" until after I watched it. I was very disappointed and still am about that such a masterpiece could be so ridiculed. I guess I pay more attention to the genre of science fiction than the box office. In time as science fiction becomes science fact, people of the future will watch this and love it. It will gradually turn into a classic of science fiction and martian colonists will want to watch it again and again. I don't care what stubborn critics or internet trolls have to say, I LOVE IT.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:20 PM
LOL I still need to see this shit to see just how bad it is.
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Why doesn't JoBlo post on here anymore?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:54 AM
My opinions if you're interested

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149248
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Why doesn't JoBlo post on here anymore?
Ahhh nostalgia, those were the days. He doesn't post anymore because you left. J/k. The guy has a lot on his plate these days, he's more of a Donald Trump type now
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digifruitella View Post
Ahhh nostalgia, those were the days. He doesn't post anymore because you left. J/k. The guy has a lot on his plate these days, he's more of a Donald Trump type now
Ooooohhhh I see! Too high and mighty to mingle with the commoners now. Haha jk please don't ban me.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Ooooohhhh I see! Too high and mighty to mingle with the commoners now. Haha jk please don't ban me.
Reported!