Old 05-20-2009, 02:43 AM
Eden Log (2009)

Directed by Franck Vestiel
Written by Franck Vestiel and Pierre Bordage

Well, it’s 1:00 a.m. and I just finished watching the French science-fiction/horror/mystery film Eden Log that hit DVD yesterday and was so impressed by it that I decided to write a review.

Now some probably haven’t even heard of this film, which makes this review all that much more awesome to write, because this film is fantastic. However, from looking at reviews on various sites (imdb, Netflix, etc.), it’s apparent that you’ll either love this film or hate. My advice? Well, “the less you know the better” applies here. Seriously, looking up any information on this films could potentially spoil some great parts of the film for you-- even knowing the main character’s name is a spoiler.

However, I’m going to keep details on the plot of the film to a minimum. Instead, I’m going to tell you what the film experience is like and help you make up your own mind on whether or not to check it out.

Eden Log is what I had always wanted in a Resident Evil film (it falls just short with a lack of zombies). It’s dark (maybe too dark sometimes, which is my only complaint), ambient, violent, mysterious, and terrifying. Without any memory on who he is or where is at, a man wakes up in a puddle of mud and has to explore the desolate world around him.

This is great science fiction and there are many ideas here that you simply don’t get in modern blockbusters. The special effects and makeup effects are fantastic. I’m not sure what the budget was for the film, but I get the impression that the filmmakers did a lot with a very small budget.

The sets are, through much of the movie, gloomy and surreal. There’s an honest sense of dread in the film, especially when the audience is completely in the dark about what has occurred and what is “Eden Log.”

While there are monsters in the film, they are simply part of backdrop. What’s truly terrifying in the film is the mystery that is unsolved by the main character throughout the movies length. While I don’t speak French, Clovis Cornillac is obviously fantastic here. Through 90% of the film, it’s a one man show.

There are a few negatives for the film, and I’ll lay them outright: pacing, lighting, and vagueness.

As far as pacing goes, this movie is a slow burn-- even for a 90 minute running time. There isn’t much dialogue, which slows down the perceptual pace of the film quite a bit. However, when dialogue is spoken in the film, it’s always key in understanding the plot and important details go by fast. I found myself rewinding some scenes to re-read subtitles so I could better understand what the hell was going on.

The good news is that the recently released Region 1 DVD comes with both American and French versions of the film. If French isn’t your first language, you may want to watch some dialogue heavy scenes in the American version of the film so that you don’t have to strain on reading subtitles as they fly by.

As far as lighting goes, the movie is dark light through it’s entirety. The main colors used In the film are black and white… with maybe a smidgen of grey. I didn’t find it too much of a problem, as I found this method enhanced the terror, but I can easily see how some would find this annoying.

Finally, vagueness. This was basically covered when I was describing the dialogue (or lack thereof) earlier. The film requires you to pay attention on both what you see and what you hear/read in order for you to fully grasp the films story and revelations towards the end. Audience members who like everything straight-forward and laid out for them should probably steer clear because some contemplation may be required here.

I wouldn’t necessarily call Eden Log a popcorn movie, but rather a badass sci-fi/horror film with an mystery at its core. In fact, the standard blood/tits/gore horror scenario doesn’t apply here. I watched My Bloody Valentine 3D yesterday, and that film is about as far from Eden Log as you can get.

I you love films like Solaris, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Fountain, or Cube, you NEED to check this film out. Eden Log is a return to bold, thoughtful science fiction. It takes on a few large concepts with a small setting and extracts a pretty awesome result. The ending left me in absolute awe and I can’t wait to watch it again.

Runtime: 1 hr. 38 min. (98 minutes)

Related Recommendations:
Cube, Sunshine, Dante 01, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Fountain, Solaris, Solyaris, Outland

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 05-20-2009 at 02:45 AM..
Old 05-20-2009, 04:44 AM
Youy really excell at these movie reviews, dude. I read through all of that. And I have to admit that I've never even heard of this flick. Looks and sounds like the sort of thing I'd like. WOW!~ Trust the Frenchies to do it again. I loved Cube, Sunshine and Oultand, so it's a safe bet I will also enjoy this little number. Good shit and thanks. Lastly, while looking at these images, I couldn't help but think of the upcomming "Moon" Dunno why, so yeah.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I am also a big fan of Eden Log. I caught the trailer on HDNET and was so impressed that I sought out the film. Once it is 'officially' released I think it will have a big following.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Saw this back in Feb of 08 at a horror/sci-fi festival... lets just say it excelled in disappointing the crowd :lol:

Hated it with a bloody vengeance... I'd rate Twilight above this :lol: and that's lowwwwwwww
Old 05-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Youy really excell at these movie reviews, dude. I read through all of that. And I have to admit that I've never even heard of this flick. Looks and sounds like the sort of thing I'd like. WOW!~ Trust the Frenchies to do it again. I loved Cube, Sunshine and Oultand, so it's a safe bet I will also enjoy this little number. Good shit and thanks. Lastly, while looking at these images, I couldn't help but think of the upcomming "Moon" Dunno why, so yeah.
Thanks, God! I wasn't sure if this review would go over or flop since it's a very under-the-radar film. Also, awesome avatar -- be sure to hit me up and tell me what you think after you see it. I hope you dig it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ed View Post
I am also a big fan of Eden Log. I caught the trailer on HDNET and was so impressed that I sought out the film. Once it is 'officially' released I think it will have a big following.
We should form a club . I'm a little confused as to what you mean by "officially." It's available to rent through Netflix (how I got a hold of it) right now. I haven't seen it in stores though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatansPuppet View Post
Saw this back in Feb of 08 at a horror/sci-fi festival... lets just say it excelled in disappointing the crowd :lol:

Hated it with a bloody vengeance... I'd rate Twilight above this :lol: and that's lowwwwwwww
Damn, Twilght?! That's harsh. Well, like I said, people either love this film or hate it. Just for curosity's sake, what frustrated you the most about the film?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Ohhhh, dang! I didn't know it was officially released. I downloaded the torrent maybe about 1 1/2 - 2 months ago, maybe more.