Old 06-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Emile Hirsch: Yay or Nay?

I am completely dumbfounded with the hype around this kid.

I will admit that I liked him in The Girl Next Door but other than that not so much.

I guess Sean Penn sees something that I dont because he is constantly glowing over him for some reason.

I will give him credit though, he seems to know what he is doing and also seems to be damn good at networking within the business. Seems like almost every big wig director wants him in their films. (he is set to be in Ang Lee's upcoming film).

So what are your thoughts on this guy?
Old 06-07-2009, 02:19 PM
BIG YAY! He was fantastic in The Girl Next Door and Into the Wild!

Plus, Speed Racer is seriously one of the most underrated movies of recent years. It's soooooooo much fun with amazing visuals and a nice family message. Loved it. Don't get the hate for it at all.

And I'm definitely looking forward to Taking Woodstock. It looks good.

As far as I'm concerned, the only blemish in his career is Lords of Dogtown. Did not like that movie at all.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:25 PM
I didn't care for him in Into the Wild (actually, I didn't care for that movie at all), but thought he was great in Milk. I haven't really seen him in anything else, though, so the jury's still out for me.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 PM
yay

i have enjoyed all his stuff thus far
Old 06-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Still borderline with me. I enjoyed him in The Girl Next Door but I have no plan on seeing Into The Wild, Milk, or Speed Racer so I do not have much to judge him by.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM
A big yay.

He hasn't done much yet to prove himself, but he's still young, and with at LEAST four fantastic performances already under his belt (Imaginary Heroes, Lords of Dogtown, Into the Wild and Milk) at the tender age of 23, he is not only one of the most talented young actors working today, but he also still has a LONG way to go from here. Can't wait to see more of his work in the future and hopefully him mature as an actor; so far, he's been doing pretty well.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I'll simply go with a "meh" right now. He was okay in Girl Next Door, Milk and Speed Racer, nothing special though. I haven't seen Into the Wild. Like Monotreme said, he's young and well on his way.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I'll simply go with a "meh" right now. He was okay in Girl Next Door, Milk and Speed Racer, nothing special though. I haven't seen Into the Wild. Like Monotreme said, he's young and well on his way.
You should see Into the Wild. He's incredible in it. Should have gotten an oscar nomination infact. You might change your mind about him after watching that movie.

EDIT: Ugh. My computer blows so much! Ignore the thumbs down smilie on top. I so did not click on it and yet because my computer is shitty it somehow ended up there anyway.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Hmm maybe I will have to give Into the Wild another shot, cause I didnt come away too impressed with it especially Hirsch. Was his character supposed to be likeable?

Also I dug Speed Racer but not because of Hirsch. I liked it for the visuals, direction, John Goodman and of course Ricci.

Lords of Dogtown was pretty cool.

Alpha Dog was cringe worthy bad.

But like a lot of you have said, he is very young so he has his whole career ahead of him.

I was just taken aback by how many big time directors want a piece of him.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Also I dug Speed Racer but not because of Hirsch. I liked it for the visuals, direction, John Goodman and of course Ricci.
I was the same way. He wasn't anything special in Speed Racer or Girl Next Door. Other things stood out in those movies. Just seemed that anybody could've played those roles.

I wanted to give Into the Wild a shot went it was released. Just never got around to it.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Yay. His performance in Into the Wild was worthy of an Oscar nomination IMO.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm not sure personally, whenever a pretty boy actor comes onto the scene and all the directors and critics give him praise I'm skeptical (I guess I should say jealous).

I've only seen Girl Next Door and Milk, he was good in the latter but the performance wasn't Oscar worthy or anything.

Really keen to see Into the Wild though, Penn said he put Hirsch through more than any other actor has had to go through in an American film...a clear exaggeration but a lot of people say he was brilliant in that so I'll see it eventually.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I've only seen him in the Girl Next Door and Into the Wild.. I'll agree that his performance in the latter was excellent. I'm looking forward to seeing more from him in the future, and plan to watch Milk soon.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:31 PM
He seems cool - I've only seen Speed Racer and Milk. I still need to check out The Dangerous Life of Altar Boys (not sure how big his role is...)

Like others have said, he still has a long career potentially ahead - will have to see what'll happen. So far I haven't seen anything that I'd give a thumbs down to. He could keep impressing, or he could go the way of a Josh Hartnett who 10 years ago I expected to be pretty big by now.

RE: Speed Racer - John Goodman was awesome as Speed's dad. I don't think a better casting choice could have been made both physically and he acted the hell out of that role.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:02 AM
Yay even though I've only seen him in Milk, which he was fantastic in. I've had Into The Wild here for sometime now but haven't gotten around to seeing it yet...
Old 06-08-2009, 02:04 AM
Liked him in GIRL NEXT DOOR, SPEED RACER, MILK and INTO THE WILD...Not soo much in ALPHA DOG and that skating one... soo, i guess thats a YAY for me
Old 06-08-2009, 02:17 AM
Yay. He was fine in Speed Racer, Into the Wild, The Emperor's Club, Lords of Dogtown and The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys. I haven't seen him in anything else but he seemed like a talented actor in those films.

Last edited by ScaryFreak1827; 06-08-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 06-08-2009, 02:19 AM
Big Yay...

Into The Wild was my favorite movie of 2007 (and in my top 3 of all time) and he was absolutely phenomenal in it. How the hell did Tommy Lee Jones get nominated for ELAH of that?

Also, Milk, Speed Racer, Lords of Dogtown, Girl Next Door and Dangerous Lives of Alter Boys are all awesome.

Only movie of his I haven't enjoyed was Alpha Dog.

Very much looking forward to Taking Woodstock and whatever else his career has in store.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Yay, with reservations.

Emile is beyond excellent when he's in films like Milk and Into the Wild. As long as he keeps doing work of that caliber, he could easily become one of the best actors in his age group.

However, he needs to steer clear of studio films (i.e. Speed Racer) because they are simply not his thing--although to be fair, most of the blame for Speed Racer lies with the Wachowskis. The same goes for James Franco and Colin Farrell. Both are excellent when they do smaller, quirkier films but mess up badly when put into big studio films (except for Minority Report in Farrell's case).
Old 06-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Yay, I think he is a terrific young. Out of his upcoming generation of fellow actors (which I think includes Shia LaBeouf and Ben Foster), I'd say he's the most promising and talented.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Hate him
Old 06-08-2009, 05:30 PM
I say a definite yay to Hirsch. His performance in "Into the Wild" was one of my favorite young-actor performances I've ever seen. It ended up being my favorite film of a top-heavy 2007, mostly due to his realistic and heartfelt performance. I do think he should have at least gotten some Oscar consideration, as in my opinion there's no way that Tommy Lee Jones's "Elah" was as good. He only went up in my book with his ballsy performance in "Milk", where I think he played the most flamboyant and feminine character, and did it incredibly well. He was OK in "The Girl Next Door", I think he was better then most do in "Speed Racer" (which I too find way better and more enjoyable then the general consensus seems to be), and I don't see what was so bad about "Alpha Dog" either. I've yet to see "Lords of Dogtown" but I've heard pretty good things, and "Taking Woodstock" looks great. I like that despite being one of the clear young talents in Hollywood, he's equally likely to take a challenging supporting role when there are obviously bigger but less rewarding ones on the table.

Anyways, I put him way towards the top of my list of best young Hollywood actors, right up there with Levitt, Murphy, Gosling, McAvoy, and occasionally Gyllenhaal/Franco.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 PM
I can't stand this pissworm. Nay.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Just to clarify, were we supposed to LIKE his character in Into the Wild??? I thought his character was a self righteous annoying little shit. Were we supposed to admire him or something?
Old 06-09-2009, 08:02 PM
well, I don't think you were necessarily supposed to like him, but perhaps understand him? He had a lot of family problems, and when he sought happiness alone, in the wild, he learned his lesson. "Happiness is only real when shared" - Chris McCandless.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 AM
a big yay !!!

He didn't do anything great in "speed racer" and "girl next door" but he did an excellent job in "Into the wild"......haven't seen milk though....
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Just to clarify, were we supposed to LIKE his character in Into the Wild??? I thought his character was a self righteous annoying little shit. Were we supposed to admire him or something?
Sbunn said it best. We're supposed to understand why Chris did what he did, even if we don't agree with it. Coming from a family very similar to his, I completely understand why he did what he did. However, I would have stayed with the old man and at least have something resembling a family instead of going out into the wilderness right then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Yay, I think he is a terrific young. Out of his upcoming generation of fellow actors (which I think includes Shia LaBeouf and Ben Foster), I'd say he's the most promising and talented.
What about Joseph Gordon-Levitt? I think he's in that age group, and he has a lot of talent too.