Old 05-07-2003, 10:09 PM
David Lynch

What do you think David Lynch is? An ultra-smart genius with a bold vision or just a perverted freak, or neither.

I personally think Lynch is a genius, but most people either call him that or a nutbag, very little in-between.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:22 PM
I think he's brilliant, most of the time (he has made a few duds, in my opinion). He's not being weird for weirdness sake...a lot of times, as in Mulholland Drive or The Straight Story (his most "normal" film), he carries the story through emotional impact rather than his usual weird visuals...I really hated Wild at Heart, that is an example of a bunch of bizarre imagery that doesn't come together...two banal characters surrounded by garish homo sapiens...I don't like it. As far as Lost Highway goes, it's an intriguing stunt; I didn't feel drawn in to the story by the end, and I felt Lynch sacrificed a moody and atmospheric first half hour for incomprhensibility.

Not all great directors have made great films entirely; Kubrick didn't when he made Full Metal Jacket and Barry Lyndon. Neither has Lynch entirely had a successful career. But, we should still be thankful for the excellent films he has given us.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:51 PM
the guy can sure make some fucked up and awesome movies! what i would give to get into this guy's head for a day.........yay
Old 05-07-2003, 10:53 PM
Someone once said that there's a very fine line between genius and madness, and David Lynch is living proof of this.

I love him. "Dune" is one of my all-time favourite films (look at my handle). "Eraserhead" just blew me away. I thought "Wild At Heart" was very good, particularly the performances from Cage and Dern.

He'll always be one of my favourite directors.
Old 05-08-2003, 10:21 AM
Definite yay. He's one fo my top 5 directors ever; there's very few directors who have such a unique (and downright odd at times) style.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:57 PM
The BIG ------ NAY!!!!!!!!!!

i loath him, i though muhaland drive stunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

his movies are difrent for the sake of being difrent and i am not for that!!!

I'll take cronenberg any day
Old 05-10-2003, 05:25 PM
Wild at Heart was alright, Blue Velvet was awful. I really have no reason to vote yay or nay.
Old 05-11-2003, 06:43 AM
Man's mind is fucked up, but he's a frigging genius. Big fat yay!
Old 06-11-2008, 10:32 PM
A definite "Yeah!" He's undoubtedly a genius - if there's a pervert side in him, he must have channelled it through moviemaking. Dune was my first exposure during pre-teen - though never thought of ending up seeking more of his stuff as young adult.

Gradually David Lynch ended up as my personal cinematic dad. Since he cited his movies are often to interpretation, there are many possibilities available there. Anyone can spend a whole night of interesting debates after watching them.

On a personal note, beneath the twisted and bizzare nature of DLynch movies - there are plenty of lessons in life, love, dreams (or nightmares) and humanity too. Plus, offering insights into the minds of troubled/twisted souls - visually.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:02 AM

Nay from me.

Though it's totally unrelated, I do echo on Cronenberg > Lynch.

If only because of "eXistenZ".
Old 06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
A Genius with a bald vision with films like ERASERHEAD, DUNE, BLUE VELVET, WILD AT HEART, LOST HIGHWAY, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, and INLAND EMPIRE.

I've met him before in Silver Spring,MD where he was on tour with INLAND EMPIRE. I got his autograph and shook his hand. Very Awesome Man.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:39 PM
One of the best directors in the business right now. Eraserhead and Mulholland Drive are both masterpieces.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:17 PM
he has little in common with cronenberg.

both are great film makers.

lynch is a genius.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Certainly one of the most polarizing directors, but I guess that goes with the territory of having such a distinct and unique style. Lynch offers an alternative kind of journey, always memorable, and usually nothing short of brilliance.

Eraserhead; Mulholland Dr.; Lost Highway; Inland Empire; Blue Velvet; Elephant Man.

Lynch has created so many of my favourite films. The world of cinema is a far more interesting place with Lynch around.

Last edited by Zizou; 11-20-2008 at 05:46 AM..
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM
im one of the few in-betweens.loved lost highway and blue velvet.
hes a perverted genius in my book
Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
i hope his next flick has a more linear narrative like straight story
Old 02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Like any true genius, David Lynch is really crazy in the head. And to truly appreciate his work, you have to be a little cracked yourself to get it. I don't dislike any of his movies and some of them are my very favorites.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Lynch

David just loves to play with our minds via film-I like him-"Wild At Heart" was somethin' else-his best I think.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:15 AM
Like Kubrick, Lynch creates images that stay with the viewer for a long time. Check out the recent Lynch documentary, there is a great scene where Lynch is inside an abandoned factory and he is taking pictures with a digital camera for the first time in his life. The resulting images are sublime. He truly has a great eye for images (still or moving).
Lynch is also one of the few directors that has managed to balance the artistic and commercial aspects of film-making.

BTW Lazy Boy- how can you not like Full Metal Jacket or Barry Lyndon? I didn't like them upon first viewing but they've really grown on me and they are now my favourite Kubrick films. Even Billy Wilder said Full Metal Jacket was one of the best film ever made (see the Billy Wilder-Cameron Crowe book).
Old 04-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Just recently have gotten into him,but safely will say hes beyond genius.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Lynch rules. Eraserhead is a total mindfuck that literally stays in your head for days.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 PM
A big fat fucking Yay.