Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Books/Comics
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2009, 10:04 PM
For Aspiring Writers: A Way of "Getting Out There"

Hey all, it's G1ngy again.

As some of you may know, I've been writing for some time now, and have finally produced a story that I feel good enough to submit to publishers...the only problem now is that I have to come up with a query-letter, send it out, and wait possibly months to get a response! (More likely than not rejection notices) I was talking about it with my Step-mom today, and she, being obsessed with her new Amazon Kindle, told me that I should look into publishing on the Kindle Web-Store. I checked into it, and things looked pretty swell, and easy enough for a primitive knuckle-head like me to figure out. Everything is practically spelled out for you on the FAQ/How To-pages and in comparison to writing the darn story, this is small cheeze. You also set up a recommended price to sell your stories by, and I believe the author gets a 35% profit, which if you're serious, you aint doin' this for the money.

Here's a Link, and whenever my story gets published (the site says it takes 1-2 hours to do so, setting up the page, entering it into the search-engine, yada-yada-yads. Hopefully nothing mucks up...) I'll post a link to that too.

https://dtp.amazon.com/mn/signin

Hope some of y'all give this a try!

PS: I hope this isn't considered SPAM! I just want some of the aspiring writers that I know visit this site realize that they can get their work out there and make some dough, plus it's not like I'm a first-time Poster advertizing for Prada, right?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by g1ng3rsnap9ed View Post
, and I believe the author gets a 35% profit, which if you're serious, you aint doin' this for the money.
I would have to disagree with this. It's very snobbish of you, first off, and I know you're spreading good cheer and all and I'm not trying to piss on the proverbial parade, but if you ARE serious about writing, you should be AS concerned, if not MORE concerned, about the business side than the actual writing side.

If your story is good enough, you'll get paid if you seek out the proper channels and get it out there. Dont sell yourself short from the start. Very few writers in this world are "famous" but alot get by just fine, some of them by putting out one book every year, etc.

Personally, Ive pulled offers off the table before because I knew there were better ones out there.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
I would have to disagree with this. It's very snobbish of you, first off, and I know you're spreading good cheer and all and I'm not trying to piss on the proverbial parade, but if you ARE serious about writing, you should be AS concerned, if not MORE concerned, about the business side than the actual writing side.
Agreed Adam (though I wouldn't say Ginger is being snobbish). As an aspiring writer myself, while I am trying to take great care in perfecting my craft (I have yet to have anything published--though it is my dream!), one of the main driving forces is to be able to make money doing it...and to have a stable career as a writer. And you can't be stable unless you're making the dough.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay, okay. You are both correct and I should first off apologize, so here it is: "I'm srry. ". Second I'll explain what I should have written: When publishing on the Amazon Kindle money is not necessarily the most important factor, but you should be more concerned about getting your book out there, as it could help you in the long run in the race to getting in print. I am really sorry if I came off snobbish in any way, because that was not my intention.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Here is a link to my story, if anybody reading this with an Amazon account/Kindle could please purchase this (it's only a buck) and give your opinions, that'd be wonderful.

http://www.amazon.com/A-Clockwork-in...5682847&sr=1-1
Old 06-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post

If your story is good enough, you'll get paid if you seek out the proper channels and get it out there. Dont sell yourself short from the start. Very few writers in this world are "famous" but alot get by just fine, some of them by putting out one book every year, etc.

Personally, Ive pulled offers off the table before because I knew there were better ones out there.
That's all well and good, but as my old professor used to tell me, "If you're in this for the money, you're in this for the wrong reason." That's not artistic snobbery, it's just plain common sense; there are more reliable ways to make way, WAY more money for the amount of effort you put out there. It's certainly possible to make a living as a writer, but the primary benefit is the love of writing.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
That's all well and good, but as my old professor used to tell me, "If you're in this for the money, you're in this for the wrong reason." That's not artistic snobbery, it's just plain common sense; there are more reliable ways to make way, WAY more money for the amount of effort you put out there. It's certainly possible to make a living as a writer, but the primary benefit is the love of writing.
True, but it would nevertheless be foolish to turn down a better option financially.

Im not concerned with wealth. I AM concerned with health benefits right now though, and Id like to pursue avenues that would allow me to have some.