Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which search engine do you use?
Altavista 0 0%
Google 14 77.78%
Ask 0 0%
Bing 0 0%
Yahoo 2 11.11%
Alltheweb 0 0%
Other (please state) 2 11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Search Engines

which do you use?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Google, nothing else.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
Google is pretty much the evil empire of search engines, but it's also the ultimatum.

I use Google.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Google, everything else sucks. Expecially ask.com
Old 06-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I detest Google, it really is the evil empire. I'm on Yahoo! search, but Bing looks pretty good.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
I use Google, the missus uses Dogpile, Bing is okay in a jam.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:43 PM
How is Google the "evil empire"? I use nothing else.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTheMooCow View Post
How is Google the "evil empire"? I use nothing else.
Yeah, I didn't want to ask in case it was common knowledge, but after they stood up to the US Government and refused to reveal what websites people had been visiting, I thought they were pretty principled.

School me, homes.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:00 PM
I use google because it's on the web browser I use.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Not only that but google is like the friendliest, nicest company to work for. You should see the perks their employees get. I have never heard of another company doing what they do for their employees.

Evil empire my ass.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCamaro View Post
Not only that but google is like the friendliest, nicest company to work for. You should see the perks their employees get. I have never heard of another company doing what they do for their employees.

Evil empire my ass.
Yeah, Google's corporate motto is actually 'Don't be evil.'
Old 06-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Google, with the customizegoogle Firefox add-on to remove the ads and some other stuff.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
Nothin but Google since it came out.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:53 PM

Google; especially because of the maps.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homyrrh View Post
Yeah, Google's corporate motto is actually 'Don't be evil.'
Google say "don't be evil", as opposed to that other search engine which advocates eee-vil!

Lack of privacy, the ultimate reason why Google are the evil empire. Other search engines have privacy problems too, but not to the extent of Google. Vital information (potentially credit card details etc) are stored for years. Who is Sergey Brin, why should I trust him, or want to be a subject of his brand of Big Brother (rhetorical questions).

Google is popular, not for providing a better service, but for its promotion, for whatever reason, via countless U.S media, as the must have search engine. Its as daft as paying extra money to have Klein or Hilfiger on your boxer shorts. Why would I use a search engine which has the highest levels of privacy problems. Not being one to follow the herd, or subscribe to fashion, I choose something else.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt View Post
Google; especially because of the maps.
Google Earth, one of the scariest inventions of all. Sergey Brin is watching!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentangeli View Post

Is that you Jerry Fletcher?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownCamaro View Post
Is that you Jerry Fletcher?

No conspiracies. Just the truth.

Must not...talk about...how....bad..film..was...grip slipping....must...get..out
Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Google is popular, not for providing a better service
That's just flat out wrong. When Google started it was competing against then huge companies like AOL and Yahoo. You think it came out of nowhere because it didn't provide a better service? Think the media just found this random out of nowhere site and decided to promote it over Yahoo etc?

Anyways the biggest reasons I use Google is because it's not littered with a hundred random links and news stories and pictures and countless advertisements. Do you really think the term "Google it" came about because it didn't provide the fastest best results? Yahoo has been around since Al Gore invented the internet... Why not "Yahoo it"?
Old 06-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
Think the media just found this random out of nowhere site and decided to promote it over Yahoo etc?
Pretty much, yeah. It certainly wasn't providing a better service. Maybe the creators had connections to big players in the media world. Who knows!

Quote:
Do you really think the term "Google it" came about because it didn't provide the fastest best results? Yahoo has been around since Al Gore invented the internet... Why not "Yahoo it"?
Ask the countless media, why they turned Google into a must have fashion accessory.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Actually that was partly sarcastic. A lot of times their maps are inaccurate.
The store won't be there anymore, it is the corporate office, the place went out of business, etc.
But it is easier to use than other maps, like MapQuest.