Old 07-06-2009, 05:11 AM
The Walking Dead (spoilers)

Anyone reading it? I'm only on issue 5. I was a little surprised at the part where the son is doing his target practice.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Yeah i'm about to start reading 5 aswel. Great series, honestly one of my favourite reads lately, havn't been this impressed in a bit. Can't wait to see what unfolds in 5 & 6, i'm told shit hit's the fan big time. Riveting stuff!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM
I got the 4 volumes, and have been wanting to get back into the groove and pick up The Best Defense. Unfortunately, I have'nt gotten around to it.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:49 AM
I'm up to date on all the trades, so let me know where everyones at before I start spoiling shit.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Yeah I just finished Volume 8 and as soon as I finish Volume 9 my friend has all the single issues up to current...My God this is probably THE best zombie story I have read...Gripping stuff
Old 07-07-2009, 03:11 PM
You gotta love how unforgiving they are to all the characters. Pretty much nothing is sacred.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
You gotta love how unforgiving they are to all the characters. Pretty much nothing is sacred.

Oh yeah...that's one of the things that drew me in the most...No fairy tale bullcrap here
Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 AM
My reading has been slow. I'm about to start issue 7. Holy crap at issue 6!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know what this arc is called, but I've finished issue 32. Damn. I thought Dr. Stevens was going to die but I didn't think it would be a zombie.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM
I've got both volumes 1 + 2, Both ar fantastic. I didn't mind the drop in the quality of art too much, Aint had thd dosh to invest on the other volumes yet.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:20 PM
I've finished up to 61. I think the most unexpected moment for me was Lori and Judy's demise, followed by the whole mess with Billy, Ben, and Carl. I wasn't thrown by Abraham and Eugene showing up. I was just waiting for someone to appear saying they know what caused the plague. Heh.

Anyway, good shit!
Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 AM
yeah that's about how far i've got, waiting for the newest trade to hit the stores.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 AM
*SPOILERS*

Tyreese's death was pretty shocking to me, for some reason. Just the brutality of it.

Also Rick's hand getting chopped off hit me like a brick.

Strangely, Lori and Judy didn't phase me one bit. Totally saw it coming.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Just finished the newest issue (Part 2 of 5) and Holy shit I can't wait until the next one..I want to see how this ordeal with these hunters turns out..Right now my bets are on tragic because for the past few issues nothing really bad has happened...Damn you Kirkman and damn you Bret (my friend) for getting me hooked on TWD
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM
The damn comic shop doesn't have 63! [weeps]
Old 08-09-2009, 03:15 AM
I found 63.

Poor Dale.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
I found 63.

Poor Dale.
well we won't know for sure until #64..I like Dale but something tells me shit is going to hit the fan
Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard_of_Meat View Post
well we won't know for sure until #64..I like Dale but something tells me shit is going to hit the fan
Well, still...Poor him. He's not in the best of situations.
Yeah, he's probably going to bite it. I hope not though.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:08 PM
For the trade waiters.... number ten comes out tomorrow! yay!
Old 08-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Holy shit everyone! Frank Darabont (writer/director of The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile and The Mist) is going bring The Walking Dead to small screen.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/11/...-walking-dead/

This is fantastic news. If anyone was going to bring my favourite comic book series to T.V., then there is nobody more perfect than Darabont.

When it comes to casting, the person I'd like to play the role of "Rick Grimes" it should be this man:

Peter Krause (Six Feet Under, Dirty Sexy Money)

Last edited by Terror Australis; 08-12-2009 at 02:14 AM..
Old 08-12-2009, 02:16 AM
Ha, he looks the part too!

I think this is good news. I hope it's like The Mist in atmosphere.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Heh, issue 64...I repeat, poor Dale.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM
Read the recent issue two days ago...If they become full-fledged cannibals I might not be able to read it. I'm not sure if it's squeamishness or that I'd lose sympathy for them. I can't say that I'd never resort to that if I were in such a bad situation but I'd rather not read it.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Read the recent issue two days ago...If they become full-fledged cannibals I might not be able to read it. I'm not sure if it's squeamishness or that I'd lose sympathy for them. I can't say that I'd never resort to that if I were in such a bad situation but I'd rather not read it.
Nah, Rick's just trying to scare them. I don't think anyone would go along with him if he tried that.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:33 AM
shit, I only read one through 5 this summer. damn I need to catch up .
Old 10-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Ive not been able to catch up yet after issue 5.

Im so glad I started to read this as a trade a long time ago.

I agree they are so unforgiving to the characters. I actually felt sick to my stomach when
Spoiler:
they raped Michonne and Rick lost his hand
seeing that makes you wonder if the shit hit the fan like it has in The Walking Dead how much like the zombies people would become.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:39 PM
This is actually really cool, someone took the locations from the comic and applied them to Googlemaps and made a timeline of events.http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d3ecc55ac63583

Last edited by NuclearMisfit; 10-23-2009 at 11:44 PM..
Old 10-31-2009, 12:22 AM
Spoiler:
RIP Dale

This issue was very 'meh'. A couple of spots I thought I had skipped a page or something. The transition seemed off. I am interested in seeing how Rick takes the news from the last frame. =/
Old 11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Spoiler:
RIP Dale

This issue was very 'meh'. A couple of spots I thought I had skipped a page or something. The transition seemed off. I am interested in seeing how Rick takes the news from the last frame. =/
Yeah that is going to be some messed up shit...I can't wait to see Rick's reaction
Old 01-31-2010, 07:43 PM
I LOVE this series! I just read #69 today.
Spoiler:
It looks like things are going to simmer down for a while with the 'Safe Zone' Arc...
Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM
I finally picked up and read Volume 4, and I was shocked on how much shit went down on those pages. I think the thing that annoyed me the most after it was all over was the fact that I didn't get the next volume!
Old 03-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Finished reading book 11 which is issues 61-66. Great book, a few oh shit moments that were really good. The book had been falling off a bit for me recently but this one is back to form.

I thought it was sort of funny having Ab and Rosita having sex in that completely open air cab of the truck and not really caring that Eugene was watching, again.

I still think the Prison arc is the best so far, i miss Tyreese. Can't wait to see what happens when they get to Washington.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:20 PM
You guys need to get caught up... especially if you loved the prison arc!
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadWalk View Post
You guys need to get caught up... especially if you loved the prison arc!
I can't afford to get back into collecting monthly issues anymore, my addictive nature works against me, so i have to wait for the 6 issue trades. When i stopped buying issues a few years back i was collecting 20+ titles and spending more then $400 a month
Old 03-30-2010, 08:25 AM
WALKING DEAD SHOW!

Wholly shit this is awesome. I hope they get a good cast for this, can't wait
Old 03-31-2010, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I can't afford to get back into collecting monthly issues anymore, my addictive nature works against me, so i have to wait for the 6 issue trades. When i stopped buying issues a few years back i was collecting 20+ titles and spending more then $400 a month
That's why you should JUST buy The Walking Dead! Three bucks a month, man!

Awesome on the show... I loved Frank Darabont's take on The Mist... can't wait to see this in live action!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadWalk View Post
That's why you should JUST buy The Walking Dead! Three bucks a month, man!

Awesome on the show... I loved Frank Darabont's take on The Mist... can't wait to see this in live action!
nah man, it's my addictive personality, i'd just end up buying more

I'm happy with the trades and prefer reading trades over issues anyways, easy to hold on to and store and no adds (not that Walking Dead has adds through out though). Also i like lending my comics out to a handful of trusted friends and it's just easier on everyone involved if i can just hand them a trade instead of 6+ issues at a time.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:46 PM
I'm on issue 70 so far. I fucking love this comic series. I'm such a huge fan of Robert Kirkman.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:32 AM
Not to rain on the parade, but after just finishing the eleventh trade I'm convinced that this comic is probably beyond saving at this point.

For the first two years, THE WALKING DEAD was probably the best American comic being published. Strong character-driven stories, constant tension, and the true fearlessness of Kirkman as a writer made for a truly enthralling read month after month.

But somewhere after the fourth trade the series lost its way. The plot became flaccid, the human antagonists were flat and boring, the cast ballooned to an unmanageable size (something I previously would have thought impossible given the attrition rate), and the series' trademark bareknuckle style started to seem just downright exploitative and full of cheap shock value (ie, rape, torture, character dismemberment).

THE WALKING DEAD is a character-driven story. There really is no central plot, and the conflict at its heart is as basic as can be: people want to stay alive. That's fine, so long as you continue to care about the characters. Problem is, when the characters start to drift, then the reader has nothing to keep them interested. Take Rick, for example. Rick has gone to crazy town and back so many times, I don't know if I really give a damn about him anymore.

He bangs on about how he's "Doing what has to be done!", and I'm sitting here going "Um, no, you're really not." SOME of the things he does are necessary, but some are just because he's fucked in the head. I mean, okay, you've gotta kill the cannibals, given, but why exactly did you take all night with it? Why torture and dismember them? Couldn't you have just shot them or chopped their heads off and got it over with? I know, I know, this is supposed to show how the characters have changed and how they're less human than they used to be. Thing is, we've had a lot of scenes that show that. A lot. We get the idea, it's long since stopped being profound.

And then of course, as always, when he does something fucked up he goes into a pissy, whiny mode about it. This is the series; Rick loses it for a while or makes a dumb mistake, then Rick comes to his senses, then he bitches and moans about how he's let everyone down and forgotten what's important and needs to be a better example for his son and blah blah blah. We've been down this road before. It just leads back to the beginning of the road. The only really interesting character in the series right now is, of all people, Carl.

Kirkman is writing in circles. We get scenes like Gabriel and Abe confessing the terrible things they've done, and I can't help but think "Haven't I heard all this before from other characters?" Morgan keeping his zombie son chained up and feeding him, that I've definitely seen before. The scene of Morgan going through the house with the dead family and being horrified, this is the kind of stuff we were doing back in issue 6. This is all pretty well written as far as it goes, but I've became quite as jaded as many of the characters. THE WALKING DEAD has had so many "shocking" moments that its really stopped seeming to matter anymore.

What's on the horizon in this series? More traveling? More in-fighting? More "shocking" character deaths? What's going to happen that's new? What's going to happen that we haven't seen already? Eugene claims to know the root of the zombie pandemic, but for some strange reason he's keeping the bombshell all to his fucking self. What's the answer gonna be? Bio weapon? Space radiation? All a government experiment on it's own population? Only a few possible answers present themselves, none of them interesting. Unless he's just a crazy man after all. Cuz, ya know, that wouldn't be predictable or anything.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:36 AM
I think I'm done with it too, actually, for those reasons. =\