Old 04-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Couldn't disagree more with you. This series is brilliant and Kirkman is constantly in rare form. Rarely is there a horror series as incredible as "The Walking Dead." I loved the Cannibals storyline and Kirkman has a lot of surprises and I'm anxious to see what they are. I've loved every turn in the arc so far.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:48 AM
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but honestly, two years from now, if this series is still going, what do you think is going to be happening in it? Will more or less the same cast of characters (plus or minus a few, of course) just be going from place to place, arguing and almost killing each other and then banding back together again, interspersed here and there with a gruesome character death and/or horrible atrocity? Isn't that the whole story? And yeah, that was a good story for a while, but it's been seven years now and this isn't going anywhere.

I mean, the cannibal story, what did that do, from a narrative point of view? Kill Dale? Well, not really, he was dying already. Demonstrate our character's loss of humanity? Fine, but that's been done (and done, and done, and done) before. Show what a horrible, immoral world they're all now living in? Again, been done to death, more times and in more ways and by more interesting bad guys than these. Even the whole "There's not much difference between us and the zombies" thing is old hat.

Like I said, the only really interesting thing going on right now is Carl, and seeing how growing up in such a disruptive, dangerous, morally adrift environment screws with a kid's head. But I get the feeling that after his big confession at the end of book eleven that we're just going to get more scenes of Rick bitching and moping about how he's let someone down and how he needs to work harder to remember how to be a good person. Again...

For the record, the last couple of trades have been MUCH better written than the past few years' worth of material. We're finally seeing a lot of the qualities again that made this series so good in the first place. But it's too little too late in my opinion, that long swath of (pardon the pun) dead material between now and the series' start makes this newer stuff seem redundant, superfluous, and disengaging. It's a shame, but that's the way it goes.

Last edited by Ender; 04-13-2010 at 02:54 AM..
Old 04-13-2010, 10:27 AM
I still enjoy the book but i do feel it has dropped off since they left the Prison. What i had hoped would happen after the events that drove them form the Prison was that Rick would die and the focus would shift to Carl.

I mean Kirkman even set it all up in the bit i think before he finds the phone that Carl thinks he's died and is going to come back. When i was reading those panels i was think "oh shit this is going to get crazy now" but no dice. It was almost a tease even.

Rick really should have died, Carl should be the one with the phone.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM
All of the dehumanization has been done for a reason...

Spoiler:
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeadWalk View Post
All of the dehumanization has been done for a reason...

Spoiler:
That's going to be a tough adjustment.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Is anybody else up to date on this?

I'm up to date with issue 75... and well...

Spoiler:
Shit has definitely hit the fan. Rick has threatened to kill another member of the community and threatened its leader at gunpoint.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Yep I read every issue when they arrive.

Shit is DEFINITELY through the roof.

The situation now is just wonky, I couldn't believe it.

Spoiler:
I can NOT believe Rick pulled out that goddamn gun. What the hell was he thinking?!
Old 08-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Yeah homeboy went batshit. The back-up story in 75 was great fan service, it's cool that Kirkman took the time to throw that together, ya follow me
Old 08-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Finished book 12 recently, not sure what issues # it ends on atm but it end with the issue when Glen is drunk at the party.

I have to say i'm liking the direction this is heading in, flipping the whole thing on its ear so to speak.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm having to go and buy the first 6 books as i have the Absolute Walking Dead (books 1-4) and books 5 and 6 in issues and the rest in the paper back trades.

I found it really interesting readingthe Forword by Kirkman in the first book. It's nice to see that the book has been turning out like he described it years ago. How it's a long sprawling sort of story and things like how eventually you'll read new Walking Dead then go back to this book and not even be able to compare Rick then to Rick now. And it's so true.

I'll admit the book has sort of stumbled in some parts in the sense that nothing really interesting was going on for a string of issues but when you look at it as the build up it turned out to be you get a new appreciation for these times in the story.

Lovin this book and can't wait till Halloween for the shows premier.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:40 PM
Alright. The thirteen trade is goddamn amazing. Seriously.

Spoiler:
For once shit finally hit the fan in a good way for Rick.

Nice.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilpesh View Post
Alright. The thirteen trade is goddamn amazing. Seriously.

Spoiler:
For once shit finally hit the fan in a good way for Rick.

Nice.
Yeah book 13 was great. They did a great job of setting up a few things to make it look like everything was gonna fall apart and then nope. Turns out they need someone like Rick, heh.

The bit with Abraham saving the girl was great. Silly soft ppl living behind their safe walls for too long.

Also one other thing, was it just me or

Spoiler:
did the group of ppl that try to take over and fail look like the crew from Woodbury who locked up in the prison after the attack?

i'd have to go back and compare but it's something that popped into my head when i saw them.

P.S. This is not my HOUSE!
Old 04-10-2011, 06:14 PM
SPOILERS FOR #83

There's no way Carl survives another gunshot, especially one that took almost a fourth of his face off. I have a feeling this will signal the end for Grimes family. I mean, what reason does Rick have to stay alive now?

I see one of three things happening. Carl becomes a zombie and Rick just lets him eat him alive, Rick is forced to kill him and then kills himself, or Carl dies and Rick goes crazy and just run into the horde Tyrese style but ends up getting eaten.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:50 AM
My Issue 83 thoughts... Feel free to blow me up on there to talk about it. EPIC ISSUE!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:28 PM
finished reading book 14 which i believe ends with issue #84 and i am still liking the series for the most part.

What i didn't like in the recent story was Rick hooking up with Jessie only to have her get killed off in the next issue or two. I understand why its there, its set up for certain scenes, but i feel that if this had happened say 50 or so issues ago there would have been a lot more to the relationship even if it still turned out the same way.

What i'm saying is it seems that Kirkman isn't putting as much effort into the supporting cast to make me care for them these days so that when they die it seems like a waste or something.

Even the bit between Carl and Ron, about their dads, i felt was pretty irrelevant once things were all said and done and yet it could have been much more fleshed out (sort of like how long it took the Ben & Billy situation to come to a head) had it been done earlier in the series.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:11 PM
For anyone interested Compendium 2 will be available october 2012. I myself and not much of a comic reader, but after the show came out I bought compendium 1 and am broke.. so can't wait for compendium 2.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisClu30 View Post
For anyone interested Compendium 2 will be available october 2012. I myself and not much of a comic reader, but after the show came out I bought compendium 1 and am broke.. so can't wait for compendium 2.
I can't being to think how heavy the hard cover compendiums are. I have the first Deluxe trade (hard cover with #1-24) and that thing is heavy as fuck. Same with my Absolute Watchmen so i keep paper backs to read in their places.

The Paper back compendium probably isn't too bad.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
I can't being to think how heavy the hard cover compendiums are. I have the first Deluxe trade (hard cover with #1-24) and that thing is heavy as fuck. Same with my Absolute Watchmen so i keep paper backs to read in their places.

The Paper back compendium probably isn't too bad.
Yeah it's a little over 5 lbs. 1088 pages. Not too bad. Throw it in a pillow case twist it up and it would make an alright improvised weapon
Old 08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisClu30 View Post
Yeah it's a little over 5 lbs. 1088 pages. Not too bad. Throw it in a pillow case twist it up and it would make an alright improvised weapon
HA!