Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo (Holy shit!)

I just started reading Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo. I remember being forced to read it in high school, and maybe because of that, I never had an interest in it.

I was a garage sale the other day and it was being sold for a quarter, so I figured I would give it another shot. I am very glad I did. I'm not even a quarter through it, but already I am engrossed.

God, this book is incredible. Anyone else here read it?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Yes indeed. I had to do a research paper on it in high school and LOVED the book.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:18 PM
it's the only book I've ever read for recreational purposes (I'm not much of a reader). It's handily the greatest thing I've read. The longer the version you have, the better.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Yup. Very good book. Read the abridged version though.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Yup. Very good book. Read the abridged version though.
Never! Unabridged all the way! This book is one of my all time favorites. Its a shame the movies are mere shadows of the book, but hell how can you fit 1600 pages into an hour and a half.

A must read.

Out.............................
Old 07-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Common Sense Man View Post
Never! Unabridged all the way! This book is one of my all time favorites. Its a shame the movies are mere shadows of the book, but hell how can you fit 1600 pages into an hour and a half.

A must read.

Out.............................
Yeah, no shit. I used to think that the movies were poor adaptations (even though I never read the book; I just assumed they were), but now that I am about halfway through the unabridged version, I cannot help but feel like the movies did their best!

Really a great book. I am enjoying it so much!
Old 07-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Yah the 2002 movie version with James Caiex...Cavisel...Cavweasel..ah I give up, and Guy Pearce is my favorite movie version. I just love revenge themed movies/books. And I have to say that Edmond Dantes is the unequaled champion of revenge.

Damn now I am going to have to read this book again! I read constantly but I do not collect books. This is the only book I have kept in my one book library!

And Luis Guzman is the man!

Out....................................

Last edited by Common Sense Man; 07-11-2009 at 09:54 PM..