Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Am I the only one who DOESNT like going to the movies??

I dunno..it's just not my thing...

I'd much rather just wait till the movie comes out on dvd/blu ray and watch it at home..

probably has something to do with the fact that I'm pretty anti social.. =\

-I dont want to hear your conversation and questions about the movie AS its playing..
-or better yet..the ones that have already seen the movie, and feel the need to say "oh! watch this part!" (as if the person that theyre with could miss the ginormous screen right in front of their face)
-I dont want to smell your patchouli stink because you decided to sit RIGHT behind me, when theres a ROOM full of open chairs!
-NO, I'm not sharing my arm rest..
-if you kick my seat one more time I SWEAR you will pull back a stump
-and FUCKING HELL your diet coke is GONE..STOP trying to suck the last drop from the bottom of the cup!!!

not to mention the price to go to the movies, is damn near the same price to just BUY it when it comes out!!

so thats what I do..
I wait till it comes out, buy it, and watch it on MY HD tv..
the picture quality is better..
I'm in a relaxed environment
and I can watch my movie comfortably in my bra and panties. =)

anyone else? =P
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM
It depends on the situation. I'll be there opening nights for Harry Potter, Dark Knight, ect.

But there is one on my friends that i will NEVER take to the movies again. He could NOT get off his phone for two seconds during "Black Swan" then proceeded to look up the film synopsis and tell me the ending during the movie.

Really? Who does that?

It also does not help at all when your at Black Swan and there is a slew of tween girls there laughing at every little sexual scene. For those who live around the Mall of Georgia, great theaters- but always a pretty immature audience.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I don't usually see movies on Friday and Saturday nights because 1) I like to avoid to big crowds (there are exceptions to this though) and 2) I'm usually working then anyway.

No matter how good a surround sound and tv set you have, there is no substitute for seeing a movie on the big screen. I will never stop going to the movies. EVER! I love it. There is no better way to watch a movie.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post
It depends on the situation. I'll be there opening nights for Harry Potter, Dark Knight, ect.

But there is one on my friends that i will NEVER take to the movies again. He could NOT get off his phone for two seconds during "Black Swan" then proceeded to look up the film synopsis and tell me the ending during the movie.

Really? Who does that?
A cunt?

Really, this is your friend? I wouldn't bother with the guy, seems to be a right knob.

On topic, I love going to the cinema. I don't go all that often (maybe once a month, if that) but I really do like it. The cinema near my house is a nice one and I like being there.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Awesome! I was wondering why this topic NEVER comes up!
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
I usually only go to the theaters during the summer movie season. Even then, I try to catch matinees. I hate being in a theater with a bunch of annoying middle school kids.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I rarely go see movies on weekends (it's ironic that I write this now considering I'm going to see Thor on Friday with my fiance - date night). I usually see movies in the middle of the week in a matinee or early evening/late afternoon when they've been out for 2-3 weeks. I'm seeing Scream 4 today at 5pm.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Unless I can get to an early weekday showing (which is rare) or my local cinema has a midnight opening (which is even rarer) I tend to wait until the last week or two of a films showings before going.

There's the possibility of some chud spoiling a film for me if I'm not careful but it's been a while since I've had any issues with other audience members being retards.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:00 AM
maybe find a better cinema. i stopped going to the commercial multiplex cinemas a while back. the one round the corner from my residence is perfecto. cheap, small, comfy seats and they got hot nuts! twat free too
Old 05-08-2011, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinoms View Post
I usually only go to the theaters during the summer movie season. Even then, I try to catch matinees. I hate being in a theater with a bunch of annoying middle school kids.
Yep, matinees are the only way to go unless it's a summer event film (like I just did for Thor)

I either want the summer/sporting event atmosphere or the quite matinee limited crowd but I find a way to make this happen. I honestly don't remember the last film that I rented. If a movie appeals to me, I see it in the cinema. If I like it, I buy it and add it to my DVD collection. That's it.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flickman View Post
Awesome! I was wondering why this topic NEVER comes up!
Hahaha. Me too.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:58 PM
tempted to agree

I somewhat agree, but that's mostly because I think the majority of films that come out nowadays are terrible. I'm just dying to spend my money on a movie, but none of them look any good. The last movie I saw was 'True Grit'...the words predictable, and anti climatic come to mind in a heartbeat--tis the case of most Coen Bros films. Thank God for Netflix.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 PM
I love going to the movies. If a) there is hardly anyone there or b) the people who are there are there to enjoy the film, and know to shut up and watch.

Otherwise, most of the time, I also hate going, because yes, my experience is generally ruined by other customers being asswipes.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:54 PM
You're not alone, but perhaps for different reasons. When I was young in the last century going to the movies was an event, a date, a thing to do on a Saturday night. But from my very first top loader VCR I was, and remain, convinced that watching films at home is preferable. I still go to the odd movie with my granddchildren but as movies are entertainment one should view them in the venue they prefer, where they enjoy them the most. I'm not a purist and can enjoy watching an Imax screen or the four by five on my laptop if the material is good. Do what makes you feel good. (Hey, I'm from the sixties.)
Old 05-10-2011, 06:37 PM
i like going to the movies. i just don't like gettin jewed with concession prices.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I find there to be something magical about going to the movies. It's nice to go out, have popcorn, sit in a theater and watch a brand new movie on a big screen. Those basic ingredients are wonderful, but there are obviously plenty of obstacles that can ruin the experience.

The most basic problem is the lack of common courtesy from other movie goers. People used to be more polite. And if they weren't, ushers would tell them to shut up or leave. I wish there still ushers watching by, but I guess it's too much to have twenty or more extra people "babysitting" every movie screening in a mainstream theater with 20 auditoriums. Where are ushers nowadays and why are they still appearing in modern sitcoms? Get out of the TV and work for my movie theater! Please! I'll pay you!

There is the whole cell-phone/iPhone/texting problem, you name it. Such displays of douchebagery occur on and off. I wish people were capable of shutting off their devices for a couple of hours. They seem to lack an attention span and I feel sorry for them.

A really annoying problem are the commercials that play before the showtime. I hate it. Either movie theater owners have become extra greedy or they need the commercial time to make more money to sustain the theater. I miss the days of staring at a black screen. And even seeing a clip show obvious trivia questions everyone knows the answer to.

I remember one of the very first commercials in 2000 and it wasn't bad one. A group of people ride in a Volkswagon vehicle in a woodsy setting to get to a bar. When they get there, they stop and seem to reflect on the ride. And they end up continuing to ride down the street in their car. One of the worst commercials easily is the Fanta-Wanta ones. The orange Fanta tastes good, but the commercials were awful and embarrasing for everyone involved.

I know how you feel about the anti-social thing, GoGo. I only "talk" to people here on these boards, and even then I talk a lot less nowadays. But I have to get out of the house once in a while and do something. I used to love going to the video stores when they existed. Going to the movies, for me, is one of the few old-school things left. I still like the Redenbacher popcorn they sell at the theater, and seeing a new movie is the perfect excuse to have popcorn - especially if it is a big movie. Once in a while, I will see a smaller-based movie, like a comedy, when I need a change of pace. I don't usually do comedies in the theater. I usually watch action or horror movies, but also some of the Oscar films during late and early part of the year.

I know that it has become expensive to see a movie and have popcorn, but I'm willing to pay for it. I do have a job. I can pay for it. I go less often these days anyway, so it's okay to pay for it from time to time. 2002 and 2003 were huge years for me. High school sucked, but the movie theater became my second home. I saw 110 total movies both years. Saw almost every mainstream movie released every week. I started slowing down in 2004, and by 2008, I was suddenly no longer immune to the inconsiderate people around me. I could hear everything from slight chitter-chatter to someone who obviously had a cold and didn't bring tissues. It was horrible and it felt like God was punishing me for bitterness. It was during "Indiana Jones 4" that this happened (good movie, find it under-appreciated) and hearing somebody sniffle every passing minute was unbearable. It's gotten better since then. I wonder if God truly is testing me and blessing me with more pleasant experiences lately.

Since 2002, I have brought my walkman to the theater, so I wouldn't have to pay attention to the commercials and spoilerific previews. I still do. But I also keep the ear phones on during the movie to drown out the other people. No, I don't listen to the walkman during the movie. But I had to once during "Role Models" in late 2008. I never heard people laugh and sniffle at the same time before and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I know it sounds it nuts, it is like a sixth sense for me. It's an audio processing thing. Some people can't handle parties and talk to another person, because they hear everyone else around them.

The previews have always been two minutes or longer and showed a little too much of the movie. I would love it if they were shortened to a minute or a minute and a half, forcing the filmmakers to learn the "less is more" method of advertising and not condensing the movie into two whole minutes.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 05-10-2011 at 07:37 PM..
Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Put it this way... The last movie I went to the movies to see was Zombieland.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:19 AM
I have a general rule; Im only willing to pay the (overpriced) amount of money to go the movies if its either a big blockbuster or a comedy. If its smaller film, indie or drama I'll wait for the DVD and watch it at my pleasure.

The movies are best for big action movies and I find the crowd usually elevates comedy but I see absolutely no advantage for seeing dramas, in fact its much better watching them at home.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:07 AM
The simple fact is that people ruin the movies for other people. The same thing can be said for just about everything else in life. People are shitheads, and they excel at being just that. SHIT HEADS! No respect, no common sense or decency. People are selfish and uncaring. I still go to the movies. But I am almost always apprehensive in doing so. Why is that? Because I don't want any confrontations. That's why. There's just far too many fuckwits out there who make it their goal in life to spoil stuff for others.

I have seen it happen far too many times. I'm the sort of person who is quiet and likes to keep to themselves. But if I am pushed, watch out. It's no wonder you hear about people stabbing, shooting, and/or committing some other type of horrendous crime towards people who just refuse to STFU. And while I would never ever dream of doing anything that extreme. I do however know how those individuals may have felt. People just won't STFU or turn of their precious GOD-DAMNED phones during a movie. Why don't you just FUCK OFF already!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:18 AM
I used to go a lot.... For all the same afformentioned reasons, I hardly go at all now... I don't regret it at all.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:39 AM
I hate going to the movies but I'll go post on a movie website. I guess that makes sense

I miss double features. bring them back!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:15 AM
I must admit, I don't like going to the cinemas much these days the way I used to, and even then, I only go if there is a particular movie I really do wish to see (or one that is only done justice on the big screen with surround sound). I tend to only go with a friend or by the previously mentioned impulse. Some part of me does feel as if I am a traitor to Film Buffkind, because of my laziness, but another part of me tells me not to feel bad.

I have multiple personalities.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silentasylum View Post
I hate going to the movies but I'll go post on a movie website. I guess that makes sense
Nope
Old 05-18-2011, 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagia_Romero View Post
I must admit, I don't like going to the cinemas much these days the way I used to, and even then, I only go if there is a particular movie I really do wish to see (or one that is only done justice on the big screen with surround sound). I tend to only go with a friend or by the previously mentioned impulse. Some part of me does feel as if I am a traitor to Film Buffkind, because of my laziness, but another part of me tells me not to feel bad.
I can fully appreciate and understand that, bloke