Old 07-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Thunderstorms. Love em or hate em?

Personally I love them. Opening the windows letting the cool breeze in hearing the drizzle of the rain and occasional pop from the thunder. What do you guys think? Post your thoughts!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:05 PM
I love them! They put me in such a tranquil reflective mood. I love opening up the windows or maybe going to sit out on the porch and just watching the rain and thunder fall.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Totally love them, unless they knock out the power... then fuck them sumbitches!!!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:24 PM
Unless they flood my place, or knock out the power, what's not to like?

My personal favorites are the really, really loud thunderstorms that sound like the sky is getting ripped in half.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post
Totally love them, unless they knock out the power... then fuck them sumbitches!!!
Same here, then I get a little spooked.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I dont mind them now, but when I lived in Illinois and Indiana they could get pretty scary and intense. Sometimes they could turn into tornadoes, which are scary as fuck!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Love 'em. When I lived in Louisville, Ky we were right next to the Ohio River which would bring in some badass storms. Now I'm here in Lexington and all we get is boring old rain.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Love 'em, especially during the tropical storm season here in North Queensland, Australia.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 AM
As long as they don't cause the power to go out or if I don't have to go anywhere, then I don't mind them.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:12 AM
I think they're awesome. I filmed a lightning storm that happened last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yl3ZvXwA9U

I also love this image of a storm happening in the middle of a volcano erupting in Chile. It's simply brilliant. It instantly became my desktop background:

Old 07-28-2009, 02:13 AM
It's a rare moment of serenity for me. A formidable, lasting thunderstorm is great for lulling me to sleep...but when they get too loud, it's a bitch to actually get woken up by one.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Love thunderstorms with lots of rain, I find them really calming and relaxing. It's also much easier for me to get to sleep when there's a thunderstorm. Really enjoy watching them as well, especially when there's lots of fork lightning.

Even when there's no thunder/lightning and just a lot of rain I love it, was at my brothers apartment a couple of days ago and it was raining pretty hard, ended up standing on the balcony just listening to the rain hitting tree leaves.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Thunderstorms are great to have sex to. Very erotic.

But I did hate them when I was little.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:16 PM
We get thunderstorms probably 3 times a week here. Stupid tropical climate. But man I do love em. Thunderstorm that came by last night was a good one, a lightning bolt touched down not too far from my apt, scare the holy hell outta me when the thunder came lol.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
Love 'em. When I lived in Louisville, Ky we were right next to the Ohio River which would bring in some badass storms. Now I'm here in Lexington and all we get is boring old rain.
Lexington used to get some good ones when I lived there. Best one was when The Big Lebowski first came out. A friend of mine and I went to see it at the dollar theater there on Man'o'War Blvd. The previews had just started when, BOOM!!!! It was so loud that everyone's ears were ringing for several minutes afterwards.

They ended up having to give us all refunds and it was confirmed later that the lightning had struck just behind the theater.

But personally, love thunderstorms. At night they're very relaxing and during the day can be very exciting.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Love them. I generally love miserable weather. I hate the sunshine, and when it's too hot. I like the wind, the rain, and especially storms. Snow's a lot of fun too.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd like them more if I didn't have a cat that freaks out with each thunder clap. And of course, if any damage is done, I hate them.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 PM
I love thunderstorms at night during sleepy time
Old 07-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Especially good during super duper sexy time.

I also love hard rain when it's all humid and sweaty and all that. Yum yum.

I live in Manchester...Morrissey pretty much encapsulates that vision of the city.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:00 PM

I love them when I am at home with nothing to do.

But when I want to go out for a night on the town, I'll take nice weather.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgizzy316 View Post
One of the very many things us Lexingtonians miss out on, Louisville is so much cooler in all respects.

But back on topivc before I start rambling. I do like a thunderstorm its just really here they are few and far in between. I do love them when we get them, thats actually when I sleep the best.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM
I love thunderstorms, except when a bolt of lightning strikes a tree in your front yard and half of the tree falls onto the powerline leading into the house, causing the smell of burning electricity to run through the house and cutting off your power for five days.

Another lame side effect is living in Hawaii and having a transformer blow out the power on the ENTIRE FUCKING ISLAND OF OAHU for 2 days because of the lightning. You can't go anywhere. You're stuck on the island with no escape!

Most of the time it's pretty cool, though.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I'd like them more if I didn't have a cat that freaks out with each thunder clap. And of course, if any damage is done, I hate them.
Our family dog (or at least one of them.) is a Brittney Spaniel/Beagel(?) half-breed (if anybody can get anything from that...or cares), and is a pretty medium-sized dog. Whenever we get a thunderstorm she hides in my parents' closet.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Its a love/hate relationship

theyre fun and beautiful

but

they freak out my animals
Old 07-30-2009, 11:55 AM
When I was a child, I used to be terrified of lightning, so I dreaded hearing about thunderstorms.

Now, I welcome their arrival in the summer because it means that, for the next few days, the temperature will be cooler and the humidity way lower.

I'm not too concerned about flooding because my hometown is at the top of a hill, so all the water just flows down.

I still get a little antsy when I hear about a tornado warning, but now that I know which direction tornadoes go (SW to NE), I can guess-timate the path and find out if I do need to be worried or not.

The only time a thunderstorm itself makes me uneasy is if I'm driving home from college, and I drive into a torrential downpour. I know enough to pull over and wait it out, but that can be tricky if there's a lot of traffic or trucks on the road.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I fucking love them. The only real upside to living in the Phoenix metro area is the monsoons we get every summer. Ever since I was a kid, I loved the monsoons because of how much cooler it was outside (going from 100 degrees to mid-80s may not seem like much, but trust me...here in AZ, it makes a huge difference).

I can listen to thunder rumbling everyday of the week and twice on Sunday and never get tired of it.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
I fucking love them. The only real upside to living in the Phoenix metro area is the monsoons we get every summer. Ever since I was a kid, I loved the monsoons because of how much cooler it was outside (going from 100 degrees to mid-80s may not seem like much, but trust me...here in AZ, it makes a huge difference).

I can listen to thunder rumbling everyday of the week and twice on Sunday and never get tired of it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not afraid to admit it:
I'm a blaring thunderstormist.

I hate 'em.
Every time I see one, my blood begins to boil & I start wishing that they all would just go back to where they came from.

In my book, they're all just a motherless buncha lightning-inducing, rain-drenching bastards.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd like to say to all who've read my previous post, that if it comes off as a bit extreme, I apologize.
That reply was a knee-jerk reaction.
I know that I should control my emotions better,
but dammit, whenever I hear or see the word thunderstorms,
it touches a raw nerve in me.
I know that I should probably be more open-minded when it comes to violent weather-forms,
but for now, I hope y'all will be patient with me when it comes to this subject.
Though I'm not as thunderstormist as I used to be (it was a by-product of my raising),
when it comes to this path of self-improvement that I am currently striding on,
please understand that I still have alot of "me work" to do.

Thank you.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyCelestial View Post
I'd like to say to all who've read my previous post, that if it comes off as a bit extreme, I apologize.
That reply was a knee-jerk reaction.
I know that I should control my emotions better,
but dammit, whenever I hear or see the word thunderstorms,
it touches a raw nerve in me.
I know that I should probably be more open-minded when it comes to violent weather-forms,
but for now, I hope y'all will be patient with me when it comes to this subject.
Though I'm not as thunderstormist as I used to be (it was a by-product of my raising),
when it comes to this path of self-improvement that I am currently striding on,
please understand that I still have alot of "me work" to do.

Thank you.
You insensitive bastard! I hope the world will one day change and thunderstorms will become more accepted. It's not the thunderstorms' fault that their cousins, Hurricanes, cause so much shit. It's not like the thunderstorms could have stopped Katrina. You really are a thunderstormist; just because of a few bad apples you blame the entire group.

Well...I say good day to you, sir!

Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I even have the thunderstorm iPhone app.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_sneaker View Post
You insensitive bastard! I hope the world will one day change and thunderstorms will become more accepted. It's not the thunderstorms' fault that their cousins, Hurricanes, cause so much shit. It's not like the thunderstorms could have stopped Katrina. You really are a thunderstormist; just because of a few bad apples you blame the entire group.

Well...I say good day to you, sir!

Aww,
get a haircut,
you Cumulonimbus-cloud-hugging hippie!
Old 07-31-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyCelestial View Post
Aww,
get a haircut,
you Cumulonimbus-cloud-hugging hippie!
Oh, I see what you did there...

Well, you can mock the length of my hair all you want. Every strand of it is dedicated to showing the world how ignorant you cloud haters are.

Just wait...at some point in your life, you will rue the day you ever uttered those words!

Clouds have feelings too, you know!