Old 02-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Friday Night Lights

I never gave this show a chance back when it had its run. While I was a big fan of the film, the fact that it was an NBC show didn't give me a ton of confidence that it would be worth my time. Over the years though I've had many people recommend it to me and so I finally sat down and started watching it. Right now I'm in the middle of season 5 and I can honestly say that it's one of my favorite TV shows of all-time. It deserves as much respect as some of the great HBO and AMC shows. The examination of this culture is extremely well-done. I played basketball very competitively throughout my childhood and in my high school years, and while the cultures are a bit different, there are scenes in this show that pretty much mirror some moments in my life and in the lives of my teammates. Most sports movies/shows focus too much on the actual sport, the outcomes of games, etc., but I love how this show puts more of a focus on the off-the-field aspects... the relationships, the moral dilemmas, the challenges of making it in a sport in which any play could end with someone getting a devastating injury, etc. Really, my only complaint is that season 2 ends abruptly, but there is nothing that could have been done about that due to the writers' strike.

Also, now I understand why Taylor Kitsch got those chances leading big budget movies. The guy absolutely kills it on this show. I do think he would be better served doing low-mid budget stuff where he can really showcase his acting ability.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 AM
I absolutely agree, it's without a doubt one of the most underrated shows out there. A tremendous ensemble piece and a great showcase for all actors involved (especially young talent like Jesse Plemons, Michael B. Jordan, Taylor Kitstch, etc.). I've never been much of a football fan, but you're right in pointing how the show pays so much more attention to the individual characters and their off-field lives (and as a result actually made anxious and excited while those pivotal Panther games).

It's also practically impossible not to love Kyle Chandler as an actor after watching this series. And I absolutely love how the show never failed to emphasize Coach Taylor's strong relationship with his wife. Any other show would have had her cheating on him with Riggins or someone else from team.

A particular scene that made quite an impression on me was from Season 4:

Spoiler:
When Michael B. Jordan goes to the hospital to visit his mom and breaks down beside her. As soon as I saw that scene (this was a little before Chronicle came out) I immediately became excited for this kid as an actor. I'm so happy for him now that he's getting great work and had the chance to deliver a tremendous breakthrough performance in film last year with Fruitvale Station. Can't wait to see what he'll do next.

Last edited by Reckoner; 02-10-2014 at 11:09 AM..
Old 02-11-2014, 04:02 PM
Cant believe I still haven't checked this out. Its on Netflix streaming so I'll try to give a couple episodes a shot. Great cast btw. ANd Minka Kelly....damn. Can't go wrong there
Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 PM

The first season of Friday Night Lights is my favourite season of television ever.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
I never gave this show a chance back when it had its run. While I was a big fan of the film, the fact that it was an NBC show didn't give me a ton of confidence that it would be worth my time. Over the years though I've had many people recommend it to me and so I finally sat down and started watching it. Right now I'm in the middle of season 5 and I can honestly say that it's one of my favorite TV shows of all-time. It deserves as much respect as some of the great HBO and AMC shows. The examination of this culture is extremely well-done. I played basketball very competitively throughout my childhood and in my high school years, and while the cultures are a bit different, there are scenes in this show that pretty much mirror some moments in my life and in the lives of my teammates. Most sports movies/shows focus too much on the actual sport, the outcomes of games, etc., but I love how this show puts more of a focus on the off-the-field aspects... the relationships, the moral dilemmas, the challenges of making it in a sport in which any play could end with someone getting a devastating injury, etc. Really, my only complaint is that season 2 ends abruptly, but there is nothing that could have been done about that due to the writers' strike.

Also, now I understand why Taylor Kitsch got those chances leading big budget movies. The guy absolutely kills it on this show. I do think he would be better served doing low-mid budget stuff where he can really showcase his acting ability.
Jesse Plemons is starting to break out into movies. He is in the Black Mass filming right now.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Cant believe I still haven't checked this out. Its on Netflix streaming so I'll try to give a couple episodes a shot. Great cast btw. ANd Minka Kelly....damn. Can't go wrong there
Minka Kelly was by far the worst actor on FNL. It didn't help that they kept changing her character every season but she wasn't really convincing at any point. Everyone else was fantastic though. Anyone that hasn't seen this yey should definitely check it out.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:50 AM
If they do a remake of the Magnificent 7 movie. I hope they get Jesse Plemons,and others from FNL to be in it.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:12 PM

so I've been finally watching this show on Netflix(just wrapped season 4) and I fucking love it. Kyle Chandler is fantastic and so is Taylor Kitsch as Riggins (my favorite character)

BTW , I have full confidence that Kitsch will do a good job on True Detective.

Anyways, I highly recommend this show to everyone (even if you don't like football)