Old 12-05-2011, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
"Why didn't they just hold it higher up on the handle?"

Bahahaha. Buscemi kills me.
Yeah, I laughed out loud at that one, too. Margaret has turned into an annoying dumbass.

I absolutely loved the look of pride on the Reverand's face as he crushed Van Alden's nuts in a vise. I've been waiting patiently for that. Looks like I may get my dead Klansmen wish next week, too.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
I get the impression, though this is just a guess, that

Spoiler:
The people making the show could have decided this season to go with the Jimmy is a badass gangster like Capone route or the emotionally breaks down and we kill him off route, and they chose the latter because Pitt's notoriously difficult to work with on sets. He won't get redemption or anything and next episode will be his last. Hope I'm wrong.
Normally I would agree with you, but Jimmy is such a staple of the show. There is no way they can justifiably kill the character off in the second season. Sure he isn't the badass gleader than he wanted to be, but there is still so much that the character can do. Killing him off wouldn't only piss fans off, it would waste an opportunity.

Also, is there evidence behind the accusation of Pitt being diffucult to work with? Cause I only remember on idiotic journalist writing a desperate article for a bit of attention. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I haven't heard anything to suggest Pitt is harder than any other actor to work with.

Spoiler:
The shit with his mother is just weird, really weird. I can't find any reason to why it needed to be in there at all, just seemed like a ploy to alienate fans from the character. It worked a little, but Jimmy still needs to live on, though his mother (While being played brilliantly by Mol) needs killed off quickly, she is annoying as hell. Margaret is another character I really do not care for whatsoever. She was interesting in the beginning, but now she is just an idiot, talking shite all over the place. Kill her off!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
There is no evidence that Pitt is difficult to work with. In fact, from what I've read he seems to be a pretty popular guy on set. The whole thing about Pitt being difficult was some bullshit that made up Nikki Finke made up in order to get back at The Hollywood Reporter.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Spoiler:
And so, Jimmy completes his Oedipus complex.
I would be of the mind that Jimmy may be on his way out as well, due in part to this episode's focus on him and tying of loose ends, but as has been stated, he really is a great character with a lot of potential.

Also, as far as the
Spoiler:
incest
stuff, it turns out that a lot of HBO shows have featured it, usually in period pieces (Game of Thrones, Rome, Deadwood), but others as well (True Blood, Six Feet Under, Bored to Death).

Interesting, if not odd.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Ya, the Bored To Death on was particularly hard to masturbate to.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Season 1 was solid, but I never found it truly spectacular. This season... I don't like.

Too muddled. Too many plotlines. Too many characters that are just becoming annoying... meh. Average show.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 PM
YOU'RE AN AVERAGE SHOW!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 AM
I know this show won every Emmy in sight for last season but this year has been even better.

It was a fine, promising show in S1 but it's taken leaps and bounds this year both in terms of the overall development and scope of the story and also the assurance and skill with which so much has been handled this year.

I can't really imagine an episode from the first season centering around Richard's trip to the woods or one having Jimmy appear solely in flashback (necessary and enlightening flashback, not just fanwank indulgence) for nearly the full run time before snapping him back to the all-too-painful present.

Last year was the takeoff. This year, they're cruising at 40,000 feet.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 12-12-2011 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: Calling a character by the actor's name
Old 12-06-2011, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I know this show won every Emmy in sight for last season but this year has been even better.
Actually.......zero Emmys.

Did win Golden Globes for Best Drama and Best Actor for Buscemi.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:48 AM
These award shows run together in my mind.

After the way they treated The Wire, the Emmys have about as much credibility for me as North Korean state press releases.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Season 2 has been alot better than season 1.

Not the best show on television (Sons of Anarchy, Justified, Mad Men, and The Walking Dead are all better), but is definitely one of the best and is one of the shows I look forward to most.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy dies this wekk after last week's episode. The show has set up his potential demise perfectly.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
The Walking Dead is better.

haha each to their own.

I think Boardwalk is the best current show, followed closely by Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad. and Game of Thrones.

Last edited by Hucksta G; 12-07-2011 at 04:55 AM..
Old 12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
*clears throat*

Breaking Bad > Boardwalk Empire > Mad Men > Justified > Sons of Anarchy > Walking Dead
Old 12-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
*clears throat*

Breaking Bad > Boardwalk Empire > Mad Men > Justified > Sons of Anarchy > Walking Dead
I respect your opinion, but....

Sons of Anarchy > Justified > Mad Men > Breaking Bad > Walking Dead > Boardwalk Empire

I love all of these shows, but in terms of quality SOA and Justified both deliver for me personally than say Breaking Bad and Boardwalk.

Last edited by The_Soloist; 12-07-2011 at 12:56 AM..
Old 12-07-2011, 01:57 AM
You're all wrong.

Breaking Bad > Boardwalk Empire > Game of Thrones > Mad Men > Sons of Anarchy > Justified >>>>>>> Walking Dead
Old 12-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I just bought Walking Dead season 1. Will probably watch it over Christmas Break. Mad Men bored the crap out of me. Game of Thrones was the best Season 1 of anything I've seen in a long time. And of course, I love Breaking Bad. Gets better and better, which is quite rare (although I wish the Season 4 finale was the series finale... can't envision a better ending)

Anyway, I just think there's too much going on on Boardwalk. Someone earlier mentioned how Season 1 wouldn't have had an episode revolving around Richard's trip to the woods. He's right... it wouldn't have. But I don't think episodes like that are a step up for Season 2. They're boring. I'm intrigued by the main conflict (Jimmy, Luciano, and Capone against their superiors), but all the extra stuff bores me. I didn't care about Angela, her lesbian relationships, or her perspective of the times. I'm not interested in Jimmy's mother's tragic story. I don't care about Margaret's family. I don't care about anyting Owen has done all season. I certainly don't care about Van Alden. And while I like Richard, I don't want episodes focusing on him.

I don't want to say it's a bad show. The acting is solid, the dialogue is quick and well-written, I love the atmosphere, etc. But there's just too much going on that I don't care about.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 12-07-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Old 12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Each to their own, Darth
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 PM

I would love to participate in this but my > key is missing.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Hahaha Erik Weiner, the actor who played Agent Sepso, drops a few verses about the show.

Pretty hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I-Iwio2YH1I

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 12-08-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Old 12-08-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Hahaha Erik Weiner, the actor who played Agent Sepso, drops a few verses about the show.

Pretty hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=I-Iwio2YH1I

Too funny.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Haha yep that was great!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Actually.......zero Emmys.
And they didn't even have BREAKING BAD to compete with last season!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:29 PM
I have soooooooo much catching up to do with this show.

Need to get on top of that starting tonight!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Fuckin' crushed.

Spoiler:
He didn't even bring a gun. His facial expression at the end of the pony scene says it all.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 PM
The last scene with Jimmy and Nucky was stunning. I knew it was coming, but thought that Nucky wouldn't. If anything it was a very beautiful, artsy scene. Infact the whole episode was tonight.

It'll be a long wait until Season 3. And what Margaret did at the end with the land...Holy shit is Nucky going to be pissed.

Spoiler:
R.I.P. Jimmy. My favorite character next to Eli. His character was so great, but yet very sad. Sad to see him go and the show won't be the same without him.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Oh yeah, and Pitt better get an Emmy nomination. While the whole cast is obviously out of this world, Pitt was the standout this season.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Spoiler:
Oh, Jimmy . Honestly, like I said earlier, considering the flashback heavy episode before, Jimmy pretty much seemed like a dead man walking the whole episode. And while it's a bold decision creatively considering how true it stays to the characters, Michael Pitt will be very much missed. Looking forward to almost anything he does next...
Very excited to see where they go next season, even moreso than I was at the end of the last one.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 12-13-2011 at 02:31 PM..
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Very excited to see where they go next season, even moreso than I was at the end of the last one.
Definitely.

Spoiler:
Looking forward to Rothstein slangin' mad kilos of heroin.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:52 AM
So, anyhow

Spoiler:
To those of you who didn't believe me, there was no way Michael Pitt could last more than two seasons on a TV show. There were some specific bullshit allegations recently from his mad agent, but he's been one of my favorite actors for a long time and I've heard a lot of rumors come out over the years that he is difficult on the set. Just one of those actors that derives their greatness from mixing intensity with alcoholism. It honestly makes him more interesting of an actor in my mind, but probably not one that can last long term on a television show. Though obviously short of directing him it's hard to say, I think of him as this generation's De Niro. (By the way if you like him as an actor you should definitely check out Bully, last Days and The Dreamers if you haven't seen them.)

That said, I don't think I've ever been less excited for a new season of a show after such an incredible season finale. I mean, the season finale was excellent, but Pitt being gone; y'know, what's the conflict? They're setting up the main conflict to be between Nucky and Margaret which, I don't know about you, just bores the shit out of me.

Hopefully they have enough of other great actors - Jack Huston, Michael Shannon, Stuhlbarg, etc - to make it interesting.

Last edited by Gordon; 12-12-2011 at 02:14 AM..
Old 12-12-2011, 03:03 AM
I can see several potential avenues of conflict.

Spoiler:
Jimmy's mom ain't going to take this quietly. Neither is Richard.

All in all, I have to wonder how Chalky is going to take this. He's got a good relationship going with Nucky but who delivered those asswipes right to his door for justice? It wasn't Nucky Thompson. Neither was it him who compensated the families, with interest. Chalky's not going to start an open war on Nucky in Jimmy's memory but I think it will be a source of friction, at least in his mind.

Similarly, there are a lot of big picture antagonisms at work here. Rothstein and his associates aren't the live and let live types. They'll be undermining Nucky at every turn.
This show went from very good to absolutely great this season. I'm really looking forward to next year.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Spoiler:
Plus, we've got Van Alden moving to Cicero, IL, which is right near Chicago. Needless to say, he and Capone will probably butt heads...
Old 12-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I can see several potential avenues of conflict.

Spoiler:
Jimmy's mom ain't going to take this quietly. Neither is Richard.

All in all, I have to wonder how Chalky is going to take this. He's got a good relationship going with Nucky but who delivered those asswipes right to his door for justice? It wasn't Nucky Thompson. Neither was it him who compensated the families, with interest. Chalky's not going to start an open war on Nucky in Jimmy's memory but I think it will be a source of friction, at least in his mind.

Similarly, there are a lot of big picture antagonisms at work here. Rothstein and his associates aren't the live and let live types. They'll be undermining Nucky at every turn.
This show went from very good to absolutely great this season. I'm really looking forward to next year.
Agree. I think Jimmy's mom had an idea of what was going to happen to Jimmy when she found Jimmy's dog tags around his son's neck. Very sad indeed.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
Agree. I think Jimmy's mom had an idea of what was going to happen to Jimmy when she found Jimmy's dog tags around his son's neck. Very sad indeed.
Yeah.

I think Richard is gonna take some heads next season. Not only did he obviously love Jimmy as a brother, but he also loved and respected Angie. Richard seems to be the type of guy to take orders, though, and I don't know who's gonna give him the orders. I don't think he has any respect for Jimmy's mom (the "simpleton" comment last week made that clear), and he was only involved with Luciano and Capone because of Jimmy. Maybe he goes rogue and almost acts as a 20's stick-up kid.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM
I don't think Richard is that willing to take orders. But he is incredibly loyal to the people he is close to. And both of them are now dead.

And now, with his only source of human connection gone, it's possible he could snap altogether. We've seen that he was willing to die not too long ago, so perhaps he'll choose to take revenge at any cost.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:49 PM
An interview with Terrence Winter... Great stuff.

Interview link

Spoiler:
Apparently Richard won't be taking revenge, although T-Wint is probably just saying that to throw people off. No mention of Pitt beinga pain in the ass, but I heard that earlier today on a different site. Jimmy did reach a logical end, the only problem is, so did the show.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Again, the only one who has recently claimed that Pitt was a pain in the ass was Nikki fucking Finke, the biggest piece of shit journalist on the internet. She did it to get back at The Hollywood Reporter who simply reported that Pitt had decided to move to a new agency. She put her spin on it that the agency fired him for being difficult, while also indicating that she didn't even know who he was. Seriously, what kind of movie journalist doesn't know who Michael Pitt is? It's not like he's a new kid on the block. Take these claims with a grain of salt. I've heard from numerous people that he's an intense actor (not unlike De Niro), but that he's a stand-up dude that is well liked and highly respected by everyone on set.

Don't be surprised if Scorsese gives him a role in his next film. Scorsese's definitely a fan and worked with him on the pilot.

Last edited by Bourne101; 12-12-2011 at 10:55 PM..
Old 12-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingbanky View Post
An interview with Terrence Winter... Great stuff.

Interview link

Spoiler:
Apparently Richard won't be taking revenge, although T-Wint is probably just saying that to throw people off. No mention of Pitt beinga pain in the ass, but I heard that earlier today on a different site. Jimmy did reach a logical end, the only problem is, so did the show.
I love the creativity of the show and think they ended Jimmy's storyline with a bang(pun intended), but I might agree that the show may have shot itself in the foot with killing off the second main character. The show will definitely not feel the same next season. Which is the point I guess because with creativity comes shake ups.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:50 PM
That was one of the best season finales I have seen.....will be interesting to see what the show is like without him. Really looking forward to seeing some new dynamics next season. It would be kind of out of character for Richard to not be taking revenge, no?
Old 12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
It would be kind of out of character for Richard to not be taking revenge, no?
Yes and no.

We've never seen someone he cared about actually die. Now, both Jimmy and Angie (with whom he clearly had a connection) are gone. I'd be surprised if he didn't do something about it, as you said. He's killed for Jimmy before, so I'm sure he'd kill to avenge him.

Only problem, again, is he's somewhat out of the loop. He did what Jimmy told him to do. Does he even know the guy who was behind Angie's killing or where he could find him? I have no clue. But I think he's gonna take some heads.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 12-13-2011 at 03:51 PM..
Old 12-14-2011, 07:34 AM

Spoiler:
Kill of the best and most interesting character of the show. Well done people you just alienated a whole ton of your audience.

Like Gordon, I too cannot think of being less excited for a new season as I do with this show now. I've expressed my feeling for the Nucky character in previous posts, and to be honest I have no affection for any other character on the show, bar maybe Richard, but he isn't enough to get me excited.

I do believe they killed off the two most human characters on the show this season. First Angie, who was the most likable female characters on the show, infact THE only likable female character on the show. I hate Jimmy mom and Margaret (The writers made her insufferable to watch this season) and Angie was the only female I cared about on the show, but I understood why they killed the character off.

I don't understand why they killed off Jimmy. I mean, yes there would be little resolution if Jimmy had of just delievered Manny to Jimmy and everything was great, but to kill off Jimmy is another thing. I loved the character of Jimmy, with Richard he is the only character that I give a shit about emotionally. I knew there was the possibility of it happening, and I was against it from the beginning of the rumours. Horrible, horrible creative decision to kill him off, especially with him being second lead (I'd say first for most this season) and a character that could have went so much further.

Very annoyed at the writers for fucking us over like this, and for me the show just lost ALOT of it's appeal. What is the conflict next year? Margaret undermining Nucky at every opportunity? I won't watch that shit all season.

I'll tune in, obviously, but I feel they have gotten rid of too much this year for the show still to have much life left.