Old 09-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
And for the record, nobody's an idiot for not thinking Dexter is the best show on television because, guess what? It's not.
Who said it was and who said they were?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Who said it was and who said they were?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Soloist View Post
EDITED Dexter is one of, if not the best show on television. Michael C. Hall is brilliant as Dexter and so is the rest of the cast. Boardwalk Empire looks good, but let's not knocking off other show so quickly before this show has even aired.

Last edited by SkyNet; 09-13-2010 at 12:02 AM..
Old 09-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Aha, I never saw that. The Soloist has been out of order in this thread to be honest. I personally believe Dexter is one of the top shows on TV. Breaking Bad is first, there is no doubt in my mind, but I'd rank Dexter and Mad Men just below.

Though, I do think it is a bit dodgy to label a show that has not eve started as 'Goldust'.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Can y'all just chill your boots and give the bitching and sniping a rest...I feel like I'm at a fucking knitting circle right now.

FTR I'm a huge fan of Dexter and I'm eagerly anticipating Empire...I don't doubt that it will rock my socks.

The more great shows gracing our teevee screens, the better IMO...I don't see any reason why they can't peacefully co-exist.

Thanks for being the best schmoes around and being nice to one another.

Kissy kissy.

Last edited by BadCoverVersion; 09-13-2010 at 04:54 AM..
Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Quote:

Though, I do think it is a bit dodgy to label a show that has not eve started as 'Goldust'.
i think it a bit dodgy saying in a thread where everyone is clearly psyched for the show 'I VERY STRONGLY doubt that this will be better than Dexter, You'd be mad to switch over'

pa

what exactly makes you question boardwalk empire?

anyways i am willing to leave it as the lady has spoken. i think i have agreed with you in the past heisenberg so it aint no thing yeah

Last edited by Cosimo; 09-12-2010 at 04:56 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
i think it a bit dodgy saying in a thread where everyone is clearly psyched for the show 'I VERY STRONGLY doubt that this will be better than Dexter, You'd be mad to switch over'

pa

what exactly makes you question boardwalk empire?

anyways i am willing to leave it as the lady has spoken. i think i have agreed with you in the past heisenberg so it aint no thing yeah

Yeah, I was maybe a tad unfair saying that in the first place. I just meant that I think it is wise to stick to a show that you allready follow, rather than jumping to another channel to see a show that is new.

I don't question Boardwalk empire, I actually hope that it will be a good show. It most likely will, I'm just gonna be suprised if it surpasses Dexter in my personal rankings.

I didn't realise that this 'argument' was that bad. I thought it was quite inocent and mature to be honest. If it reads different, then I was unaware. Sorry.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I was maybe a tad unfair saying that in the first place. I just meant that I think it is wise to stick to a show that you allready follow, rather than jumping to another channel to see a show that is new.

I don't question Boardwalk empire, I actually hope that it will be a good show. It most likely will, I'm just gonna be suprised if it surpasses Dexter in my personal rankings.

I didn't realise that this 'argument' was that bad. I thought it was quite inocent and mature to be honest. If it reads different, then I was unaware. Sorry.
kewl. i didn't think you were out of order

peas
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
At the end of the day Dexter really is a pulpy show. It wears a veneer of polish but it still gets a bit redundant and never covers any new ground. It's entertaining. I'll give it that, but I think this show though has greater potential. It looks like Scorsese and Winter really crafted an entire 1920's world. The cast is a vast ocean of talent. Solid actors who all cut their teeth on film and theater. It already seems very layered, and will deal with the various levels of the organizations. That's more of my cup of tea. The kind of stuff people like Scorsese or Michael Mann deal with in their work.
100% agree. God, I'm excite.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Alright, I have gone through and edited most of the insulting posts.

Everyone in here just follow a simple rule: KEEP IT FRIENDLY! Not the hardest rule to follow!

This is a thread for a show that is highly anticipated (i include myself in it's anticipated fan base). No need to get into grade school antics!

From here on, consider it all squashed! Let's talk about what should be a great show featuring one of the great character actors, Steve Buscemi.

ALSO: For all of the back and forth in this thread, I only received ONE reported post.

C'mon people... if you see blatant rule breaking you MUST report it to the mods. Because what happens is we can come in and depending on the seriousness, we can squash it and get the thread back on track. But if you don't report it, then we get a snowball effect of disrespect and name calling, and that can lead to some of you all being banned from these bad ass forums. I don't think anyone is in favor of that, I know i'm not.

So just remember: An opinion is one that everyone has and it may not always be in tune with your opinion, but that is what creates great conversations on forums like these. But to start down a line of disrespect and name calling, is just very immature and can possibly get you banned from the forums.

Keep It Friendly

And now... Back to the discussion on Boardwalk Empire.

I personally can't wait for next weeks premier of this show, I already set up my DVR for it.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:47 PM

So excited for this.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:01 PM
Does anyone know if iTunes will put this show up online the next day? (Or ANY online service will?)

I don't have HBO and it's shows like this that make me hate not having it. ESPECIALLY THIS SHOW. I really want to see it…

P.S. Ditto for Dexter on Showtime. I've got DirectTV and they charge high premium prices for both channels.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
Does anyone know if iTunes will put this show up online the next day? (Or ANY online service will?)

I don't have HBO and it's shows like this that make me hate not having it. ESPECIALLY THIS SHOW. I really want to see itů

P.S. Ditto for Dexter on Showtime. I've got DirectTV and they charge high premium prices for both channels.
I dunno about iTunes, but I'm sure a site like tvduck will probably also have the ep up for streaming a few hours after it airs (for free). If you'd prefer to have an actual downloaded copy of the show, I could teach you how to use bittorrent or the like as well.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Good start.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:15 PM
WOW that was a great premier episode. This show looks like a classic in the making.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:10 AM
Quote:
I dunno about iTunes, but I'm sure a site like tvduck will probably also have the ep up for streaming a few hours after it airs (for free). If you'd prefer to have an actual downloaded copy of the show, I could teach you how to use bittorrent or the like as well.
I do know how to use bittorrent. Thanks for the offer. I was just looking for a more legitimate of getting my hands on this show and supporting it…

...Fuck the wait, I'll torrent it now then buy the DVD set whenever it releases.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
...Fuck the wait, I'll torrent it now then buy the DVD set whenever it releases.
My thoughts exactly seems like everyone else had the same idea the download is going soooo slow!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Excellent premiere episode. I really hope it's beginning of something amazing!
Old 09-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Great episode, Great Looking Series. I'm so glad HBO has another crime drama on their hands.

"You ever watch Sunday night programming on HBO? Its spectacular!!" - Paul Rudd

Why do people even try to compare shows that really have nothing in common with each other and are on two separate channels? If you wanna compare something, the only thing you can compare this to is The Sopranos or another crime drama.

Dexter is one of my favorite shows and this show was really good so I will be watching both.

I want a gif made of that one shot... you'll know when you see it. BOOM! Thats all Ill say.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Got it downloaded, but waiting a couple hours so I can watch it with some friends. Couldn't help watchin' the first 15 min though. So excited
Old 09-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Great beginning. I loved the rhythm of the show and the characters.

Hands down my favorite moment was when Michael Pitt is talking to Stephen Graham the "driver" and they just get each others information until finally Pitt says, "I'm Jimmy Darmody." and Graham says, "I'm Al Capone."

I nearly shit my pants. I had no idea he was playing him. It was such a throwaway scene until Graham says he's Al Capone. Then it became the most awesome character introduction I can remember in the last few years.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
The pilot was oozing with Scorsese and I loved every minute of it.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Quote:

Hands down my favorite moment was when Michael Pitt is talking to Stephen Graham the "driver" and they just get each others information until finally Pitt says, "I'm Jimmy Darmody." and Graham says, "I'm Al Capone."

I nearly shit my pants. I had no idea he was playing him. It was such a throwaway scene until Graham says he's Al Capone. Then it became the most awesome character introduction I can remember in the last few years.
I already knew who Graham was playing but yeah, that was a great introduction.

The scenes with Kelly McDonald and her brute of a husband were just horrible...the little girl screaming as her Mother was lay in a heap in the corner. Oh my.

I really enjoyed it...looking forward to next week already.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
A-fucking-men Bourne. Just about every nuance that Scorsese puts in his flick was rising out of this pilot episode. I loved it.

Bring on next week!
Old 09-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Absolutely. I had no idea Graham was in it, so that was a great surprise. Then the character reveal... so, so good.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:45 PM
Yep was awesome, looking forward to some fleshing out of some of the characters (Michael Shannon and Michael K Williams!).
Old 09-20-2010, 08:04 PM
Best Pilot ever? Quit-fucking-likely...

P.S. Did anybody else squeel when Michael K. Williams popped up?

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 09-21-2010 at 10:17 AM..
Old 09-20-2010, 08:10 PM
Yep haha I squeel whenever he pops up on anything.

Man this has to have the greatest cast I can think of, even in any movie.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Quote:

That was one of my favorite scenes, hell most of the scenes with him in it was damn good. It kinda reminded me of the scene in Escape from Alcatraz where Charlie Butts meets him.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I downloaded and saw it. That was an amazing pilot. Such a great sight to see Scorsese dabble in new AND familiar territory.

Quote:

P.S. Did anybody else squeel when Michael K. Williams popped up?

This is from someone who's only seen Seasons 1 & 2 of The Wire (And plan on watching the rest of the series before Winter ends)
Old 09-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
in terms of excellence dexter is not in the same league as boardwalk empire. i'm calling it now

wrong.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 PM
As much as I don't see the point in arguing about which is better Dexter or Boardwalk Empire...but after the first episode I'm agreeing with Cosimo since fixedMind had to bring it up.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hucksta G View Post
As much as I don't see the point in arguing about which is better Dexter or Boardwalk Empire...but after the first episode I'm agreeing with Cosimo since fixedMind had to bring it up.

Agreed. Look, I like Dexter, but this is a distinctive level above it.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:10 AM
If there was any new show this season worth getting excited about, Boardwalk Empire was it. The pedigree is extraordinary. HBO's reputation is well documented (The Wire, Deadwood, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, etc. are some of the finest television dramas of all time); Martin Scorcese, arguably one of film's greatest directors, was reportedly involved as the director of the pilot and an executive producer of the series; and the cast, including screen icon Steve Buscemi, and a series of terrific Michaels - Pitt, Shannon, K. Williams, and Stuhlbarg - is one of the best ever assembled for primetime television. The premise and the time period are rich with history and complexity, and HBO had proven that it can do both period pieces and gangsters justice. There was absolutely no way this could go wrong. Right?

Right. In fact, if possible, this particular pilot exceeds expectations. Much of what makes this work so well are the various elements mentioned in the proceeding paragraph. However, before delving into the details of those particular and undeniably wonderful attributes, special attention must be paid to show creator and pilot author Terrence Winter. A multiple Emmy winner for his work on The Sopranos, Winter, working from an historical book by Nelson Johnson, deftly develops this sordid, historical, and richly textured world and his larger than life characters in a big way. The dialogue crackles and is darkly witty much in the same way that Mad Men's is. There is no surprise that the creators of both shows originally come from working on The Sopranos. What a pleasure and a masterclass it must have been to work under the reigns of David Chase. If there is one flaw in Mr. Winter's script it is one that plagues the majority of pilots - only 3 characters are truly well defined and developed (though beautifully so): Nucky, Jimmy, and Margaret. Many other characters pop off the screen but we simply do not know enough about them yet to be attached, expect for perhaps what we know from our own knowledge of history, in particular when it comes to Al Capone. Part of the beauty of television however, is that it affords you the opportunity to develop your characters over a long period. Thusly not spending time on all of your characters in the pilot is not so much a true flaw as it is a necessity of the medium.

I mention Nucky and Jimmy and I cannot talk about these characters without mentioning the incredible work by Steve Buscemi and Michael Pitt. Buscemi's Nucky is a fascinating character, and not the typical one you would expect to be a gangster. Buscemi is not a physically imposing man and his voice is squeaky and meek. Mention is made of the death of his wife and we are left wondering if this perhaps transformed the man into who he is today. He shows that he is capable of holding his own and acting in violence when necessary, but it is the juxtaposition between exterior and interior that makes Nucky so fascinating, not to mention the soft spot he obviously has for Kelly Macdonald's Margaret. Michael Pitt, always a unique and devilish performer, has been afforded the role of a lifetime here. As Jimmy, a World War I veteran, Jimmy is more than just a henchman. He is a young man changed by the horrors of war and ready to be treated like an adult and take matters into his own hands. Pitt crafts a delicate and imposing portrait and is, to my mind, the most compelling character in the pilot. The other actors are given minimal screen time, and though Michael Shannon is in typical fine fashion and Michael Stuhlbarg could not be more brilliantly and radically different from his work in A Serious Man, their characters have only begun to scratch the surface. Shannon's unique face and steely exterior do the work for him here, though his character's religious affinity is sure to come more into play and I expect his investigation into Nucky to be a highlight of the series.

Finally, accolades must be paid to Martin Scorsese. What can be said about the man that has not already been said? His work here is impeccable, fun and fluid and in control. His traditional pans and zooms work beautifully and I hope his indelible stylistic mark is continued by the subsequent directors of the episodes. The period detail and recreation of the sets, notably the Atlantic City boardwalk, is perfection. Oddities such as preemie babies being on display and comedians who wear makeup only further to enrich the world of the series. It is the prohibition however, that plays the most into the makeup and it is a period in our history that is rarely talked about. By not only focusing on the exciting Atlantic City but expanding the world to both Chicago and New York with other famous gangsters of the time, such as the aforementioned Al Capone, we are getting a wide historical portrait of our country in this period. This is ridiculously ambitious for a television series and I greatly applaud these lofty goals.

How the series develops and whether or not it can maintain the epic feel and the high quality is a mystery. Given the HBO pedigree, however, and how it has already delivered in spades I suspect that it will. Watch out Mad Men... HBO is beating you at your own game.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 AM
^^^^Nicely put dude...I just caught the premiere tonight, HBO obviously running it over again. I totally blanked that it premiered last night...thought it started next week for some reason. As fantastic looking as I had hoped after catching the delicious looking previews...love Buscemi, love the period detail and love the subject matter...now I have a new sunday night show!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
yes! i loved every Scorsese filled minute of it
Old 09-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Great first episode. It can hopefully keep the quality up, which is something I'm sure will happen since it's HBO.

Quote:
Watch out Mad Men... HBO is beating you at your own game.
This comment really irks me. These shows coudn't be more different story-wise and are set in totally different era's. One of the main aspects in Mad Men is the commentry of 1960's america. The culture, the opinions, the politics, the fashion, the advertising ect. Boardwalk Empire doesn't seem to be a show like that, it focuses more about the story and characters, rather than having obvious references throughout.

That may sound weird coming from a guy who had a Don Draper avatar just last week, it may sound like I am saying the show has no real plot and that is doesn't focus on it's characters...and to be honest, no it doesn't. Don Draper is the only real character with a backstory and actual focus, Peggy has some focus, but we still don't really know a hell of alot about her. Mad Men though, doesn't need to be one of those shows, it's success comes from being authentic, depicting the real 1960's america. It's a fasinating show that has, despite not terribly complex, brilliant and well thought out characters.

I'm sure I will love Boardwalk Empire, and I don't doubt that it is a genuine portayel of it's era. But I don't think we are going to get a more acurate representation of the past than Mad Men, whether it be film or Television. I just really cannot see it happening.
Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Nice

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni4456392/
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM
Looks like I got a show to watch this fall and that is Boardwalk Empire. Great beginning to the show. Steve Buscemi as Nucky Thompson is one character I've like so far in this show.

SPOLIER

I didn't expected Big Jim to get shot at the end. Good twist right there.

END SPOLIER

This show has the potential of a classic tv show in the making. Keep up the good work Martin and Mark.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Hahaha at people over at EW calling the show "boring". The comments not the review.http://watching-tv.ew.com/2010/09/19...n-1-episode-1/
Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

Michael K. Williams is in the cast of this, right? He's not going to spend the whole season sitting in the lobby waiting for his appointment?