Old 11-16-2010, 07:45 AM
It's a definite possibility, but I think Jimmy's dad is gonna end up being a character that we've never seen before, but someone historically significant....

And speaking of historically significant, Luciano proves, once again, why he got the nickname "Lucky" (even though, irl, he didn't get the name until he was much older, but still....)
Old 11-22-2010, 04:06 AM
"Well I wasn't gonna, but you talked me into it."

Old 11-22-2010, 10:06 AM
This show just reaches new levels of awesomeness each week. Besides Breaking Bad, this is easily the best show on TV. It kind of reminds me of Breaking Bad in a way actually. Not in terms of plot or style, but the fact that every single moment, whether it be a regular conversation or a burst of action, is incredibly engaging. There isn't one false note. Eddie... that smooth bastard trying to get some credit, haha. One of the funniest moments of the season.

I think Jimmy is my favorite character. We'll see come the end of the season, but to this point I think he's my favorite. Michael Pitt is the fucking man. That shot of him through the camera lens was epic.

Last edited by Bourne101; 11-22-2010 at 10:18 AM..
Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Harrow's dream sequence was just spellbinding.

Eddie: "You want me to pat him down?"

Nucky: "You're Tom Mix all of the sudden?"
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Harrow's journey has been captivating. He is at the same time incredibly sympathetic and alienating.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post
This show just reaches new levels of awesomeness each week. Besides Breaking Bad, this is easily the best show on TV. It kind of reminds me of Breaking Bad in a way actually. Not in terms of plot or style, but the fact that every single moment, whether it be a regular conversation or a burst of action, is incredibly engaging. There isn't one false note. Eddie... that smooth bastard trying to get some credit, haha. One of the funniest moments of the season.

I think Jimmy is my favorite character. We'll see come the end of the season, but to this point I think he's my favorite. Michael Pitt is the fucking man. That shot of him through the camera lens was epic.
Agree with every word.

I haven't enjoyed every character like I have in Boardwalk Empire since The Wire.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
No, I know that. I'm talking about Jimmy Darmody, not Nucky. Jimmy talked about his dad this episode in the present tense meaning he's alive and he implied his father can get him out of jail meaning he must have more pull than Nucky in some way... then a scene or two later, it cuts to Nucky meeting with the Commodore. It's never said outright but I feel like it's the only possible character who could fit the bill... unless it's WARREN G. HARDING himself! haha, I doubt that though.
I have to admit that I thought exactly the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post

Eddie: "You want me to pat him down?"

Nucky: "You're Tom Mix all of the sudden?"
My favourite quote of the episode.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:03 PM
BOARDWALK EMPIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne101 View Post

You must be psychic because you just read my mind! I agree 100% with everything you just said, especially about Michael Pitt...who could easily compete with Steve Buscemi as Lead Actor come Emmy time! BREAKING BAD will have some serious competition in the Supporting Actor department (since both shows could totally dominate the acting categories, I hope there's six nominees like this past season instead of the usual five). Especially deserving on BOARDWALK are Jack Huston, Shea Whigham, Vincent Piazza and Stephen Graham (who I actually think should win as Al Capone!). I don't get Michael Shannon's appeal (never have). At least Elliot Ness in THE UNTOUCHABLES made for a great protagonist (both Stack & Costner incarnations)...I just find Shannon so unlikable in this, and every role he takes on! Watch him get a nom in the Lead category as well, possibly bumping out Pitt, who might as fucking well submit his name in the supporting category!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:03 PM

Really far behind (only on Episode 5) but I just want to add that this show is the shit. ANd I will most certainly be buying Season 1 when it comes out.

Love all the actors involved in this. Glad to see Michael Pitt getting a juicy role. Always been a fan of his ever since Bully.

I'm gonna try to catch up and have a Boardwalk Empire marathon today since I'm not doing shit for Thanksgiving.

This Thanksgiving I am thankful for Breaking Bad & Boardwalk Empire
Old 11-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I just caught up on the latest episode myself and this show really is the shit. There are so many interesting and complex characters getting fleshed out more and more with each episode. Shit, even Eddie is quietly getting his time in the spotlight. I'm also glad to see Chalky is back in the fold in the latest episode. Van Alden may be the most fascinating character of the show (which is saying something). He and Jimmy Darmody are probably my favorite characters on the show thus far. A lot is partly due to Micheal Pitt and Shannon are fucking top notch in this show. I do hope both men receive some nominations come awards time.

This show is the shit. Entertainment Weekly put out a cover recently that named "The Walking Dead" as the best new show on TV. While I do love that the show is getting love, I'd easily say that title belongs to BE.

Spoiler:

"How you know I drop a packet?"

Last edited by drc5145; 11-25-2010 at 12:18 PM..
Old 11-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Loved the last episode.

Though i have to admit,

HISTORIC SPOILERS

every time Lucky Luciano and Meyer Lansky get in a fix where it seems like they'll turn up dead (the last two episodes) the tension goes out the window, since these are two of the most notorious gangsters in American history and we already know they'll survive (and Lansky must only be 18 if this is 1920). Of course it is fun to see how the story goes anyway, it is a wee bit obnoxious. Since Jimmy is really the only fictional main gangster character in the series (even though Nucky is based on Nucky Thomas) and since he is rising high, i think it is safe to assume he'll wind up dead by the end of the series.

If Terrance Winter and Scorsese have their way and get enough seasons to come to an ending they like, i think the last season will have to deal with three things- The St. Valentines Day Massacre, the assassination of Arnold Rothstein and the Atlantic City Conference. All of which happened within six months of each other in 28' and 29' and each event dramatically turned American crime into the organization we see it as today.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Another solid episode. The confrontation between Nucky and Margret was perfect, as well as Jimmy's storyline with his father.

Season finale already for this and the Walking Dead? I guess you can have too much of a good thing.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Gonna suck waiting another year for the next season after next week. This has fast become my third favorite show of all time. The acting between Nucky and Margret in that argument was fucking exellent. Van Aldren (or how ever you spell it) has really developed this season (as have all the characters.) Looking forward to his madness in the next season.

I hope next week's episode is movie length.
Old 11-29-2010, 06:05 PM
I always suspected the Commodore was being poisoned, since it was made clear that the dog was eating his food and then later it got sick.

Nelson van Alden descending into madness has been fun to watch.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:38 AM
The finale is going to be glorious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhvTd-9tqVg

Seems like just yesterday, I was breakin' the news to you all about the initial development of this awesome show and jizzing my pants with anticipation.

Time flies
Old 11-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Can't wait for the finale. All the main plot lines of this season have reached their peak of dramatic tension. I can't wait for everything to explode next Sunday.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:02 PM
Sheezus that preview is killer.

I am really hoping we do not see the end of Jimmy or Van Alden.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
What the fuck am I going to look forward to when this season wraps?
Old 11-30-2010, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post

Spoiler:

"How you know I drive a packard?"
Fixed it for you
Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
What the fuck am I going to look forward to when this season wraps?
My thoughts exactly, any one know when Thrones is supposed to start?
Old 12-01-2010, 04:12 PM
yeah the baptism was the best thing about this ep and shannon the best actor in the show
Old 12-01-2010, 04:26 PM
that broad was crazy to leave angela, she tres cute
Old 12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
That was a good finale. I wish it would have packed more of a punch as some of the episodes beforehand left you a bit stunned, but they setup next season very nicely... I'm wondering if this show is going to last more than 3 seasons. It feels like it shouldn't. It should be closer to a mini-series.

I think Jimmy expressed all of our disappointment when Nucky ended the feud for a million in cash. But that's so like Nucky...

I had a feeling Margaret wouldn't run away so easily. Aside from the obvious indications of the bread eating scene... Kelly MacDonald is just too good on this show. She and the other actresses bring the proper balance to the show. It wouldn't be half as complex without them.

So who's taking bets that Lucy showing up to the post office is Nelson's sign from God?
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I echo your sentiments. Didn't pack a punch like some previous episodes, but it was a great resolution to what's been a fantastic series so far.

I eagerly anticipate season 2. More Chalky White, plz
Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
More Harrow would be good too
Old 12-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicPuppet View Post
That was a good finale. I wish it would have packed more of a punch as some of the episodes beforehand left you a bit stunned, but they setup next season very nicely... I'm wondering if this show is going to last more than 3 seasons. It feels like it shouldn't. It should be closer to a mini-series.
Amen. Honestly, 2 seasons would be enough.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
There is so many great things that happen during the 20s with some of the characters that i would love to see more than three seasons, but whatever works for the show, I personally can see it lasting for at least four or five if HBO allows for it and the creators want to.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM
That final shot of Lansky and Luciano was probably my favourite of the entire season. Absolutely love the three headed monster those two have become along with Rothstein.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by docholiday_13 View Post
That final shot of Lansky and Luciano was probably my favourite of the entire season. Absolutely love the three headed monster those two have become along with Rothstein.
Great shot indeed. I appreciate the juxtaposition in that Nucky's mentor, protege, and brother are all now conspiring against him, meanwhile, his former rivals are now his "allies."

Interesting dynamic
Old 12-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Rothstein is the man.

I love the direction they are heading for next season. The finale wasn't incredibly explosive like I expected, but it subtly changed the dynamic of the story line so that next season will be even better. I actually prefer that to just axing characters off and destroying interesting story lines that have potential to grow and weave.

But the finale wasn't without its fair share of explosiveness. Obviously the D'Alessio brothers montage provided that, along with Lucy's news for Nelson.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:18 PM
I predicted as soon as Nelson and Lucy did the dirty that she'd get knocked up. As Gavin and I were watching tonight and he said "there's a lady for you" we just knew. Poor love.

GREAT FINALE.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
They sort of deserve each other. My only qualm is that Nelson Junior is going to get his ass beaten every day of his life.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Haha Nelson would be an awesome dad.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
i thought it an incredible finale

the war isn't over i shouldn't think
Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 PM
So who did Lucky kill? I'm a bit confused on that.

The montage was sick...I can only hope it will be Eli, Jimmy, Harrow, AND Capone going after Nucky (who Rothstein is now with) and this has the makings for one epic fucking turf war.

I'm already eagerly anticipating season 2!
Old 12-17-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/jack...rdwalk-empire/

We're going to be seeing a lot more of Richard Harrow next season. Can't wait. I know Smiert will like this news.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Fuckin-A. Harrow might be my favorite new character of the year...
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Am I the only one who finds Buscemi distracting? At this point he has to be the ugliest person alive. He looks like an extra off The Walking Dead set. I really love this show, but I'm sorry to say I wish they would have cast someone else as the lead. I've always liked Buscemi as an actor but he's gotten to a point where his face is just too unfortunate.

Jimmy is definitely the most interesting character, with Harrow beung a close second, both actors doing an awesome job.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger^Cart View Post
Am I the only one who finds Buscemi distracting? At this point he has to be the ugliest person alive. He looks like an extra off The Walking Dead set. I really love this show, but I'm sorry to say I wish they would have cast someone else as the lead. I've always liked Buscemi as an actor but he's gotten to a point where his face is just too unfortunate.
Steve Buscemi looks more like a Peter Lorre cartoon than Peter Lorre.

But I still think he's awesome on the show. I always wanted to see him play the Ventriloquist, but I think I can live with him as Nucky Thompson.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:47 PM
Its a breath of fresh air to see some one not perfect looking as a protagonist on TV....even Ugly Betty is not ugly (god i hate that show.)