Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Fight Club = one of the most misunderstood stories ever.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:52 PM
I agree Tweek.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 PM
I've learnt alot of names meanings. Thanks all. And I just read what this means.

Smiert Spionam is Russian for "Death to spies". How cool is that
Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Very cool.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 AM
My name was taken from Peter Firth's character in Tobe Hooper's space vampire classic Lifeforce. I chose it because I knew no one else would use it, the character being extremely obscure, and I was right. I have yet to see anyone else in all the forums on all of the internet use this name. While my enthusiasm for the aforementioned movie has cooled somewhat over the years (I seem to remember stupidly declaring it one of the greatest ever made; give me a break, I was 14 and liked boobs) I'm still fairly happy with the name, especially it's alliterative nature, which I hadn't really considered when I came up with it. I remember after Berge referred to me as Triple-C, I was a little less embarassed by it.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:44 AM
Bubba, I always thought your name was a play on Bubba Ho-Tep, so I'm kinda surprised by it's true origins. I actually like your explanation much better, as it makes your name that much more original.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Mine comes from an alias I used while making a short film with my friend. I wasn't liking how it was coming out and I ended up having a cameo in it, so I told Nick to credit me on screen as Franco Yesca. "Franco" because I was playing a stair-gliding coach (don't ask) and I wanted a good foreign name, 'cause I figured foreign coaches are assholes. At least that's what the movies have led me to believe. I chose Yesca because it was the first thing I thought and figured it had a good ring to it. I learned from the Up In Smoke commentary that "Yesca" (what the license plate says on the dope van) is Chicano for pot.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Mine comes from the love of sports and movies with my favorites being both Hockey and James Bond films...its been my net handle for years ever since the aol chat days some 12-13 years ago...usually with the variation of 007 at the end of it so puckbond007. At the time when I started I always got asked if it was Puck from The Real World San Francisco...I always explained that it was because of hockey eventhough I watched the show and I thought Puck was an interesting and cool first name.

I always smile to myself when I see your name Smiert Spionam...because I know what it means and it reminds me of The Living Daylights.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Bourahioro is a handles I've used for years on pretty much every website I've been a member of. It's my Jedi name (I used to be a Star Wars super-geek).

Your Jedi name consists of the first 3 letters of your last name, the first 2 letters of your first name as well as the first 2 letters of your mother's maiden name and the first 3 letters of the city/town you were born in.

Boura Hioro - I just took the space out, hence Bourahioro.

Not really that interesting, but since I've been using it forever, I doubt it's going anywhere.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourahioro View Post
Bourahioro is a handles I've used for years on pretty much every website I've been a member of. It's my Jedi name (I used to be a Star Wars super-geek).

Your Jedi name consists of the first 3 letters of your last name, the first 2 letters of your first name as well as the first 2 letters of your mother's maiden name and the first 3 letters of the city/town you were born in.

Boura Hioro - I just took the space out, hence Bourahioro.

Not really that interesting, but since I've been using it forever, I doubt it's going anywhere.
Cool...based on that logic my Jedi name would be Baret Milon.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:27 AM
I'm tall and have red hair. A friend I had in high school used to call me "big red." He was the only one to do so too. When I was in college, I wanted to get an email account outside of my college account so I could use that one for personal stuff and my college one for school-related things. I went with a yahoo email account. '760' were the numbers tacked on to "bigred" when I signed up for the account. I liked the ring of "bigred760" over "bigred" so I used that for my joblo name.

I don't chew the gum.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Bond View Post
I always smile to myself when I see your name Smiert Spionam...because I know what it means and it reminds me of The Living Daylights.
Right on. Glad I could provide some amusement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
I don't chew the gum.
That's crazy, because I can't read your name without craving a piece.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
That's crazy, because I can't read your name without craving a piece.
And you're more than welcome to . . . I'm just saying the name has nothing to do with the gum.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Bump...

I have bumped this thread in the hopes that alot of people who didn't get to tell us how they got their forum handles, will reply...hopefully.

Plus any new members as well.

Poopontheshoes, what does your name mean?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:27 AM
Terminal: My favorite villain from the "Batman Beyond" television series. He wore a straight jacket, had black hair, and skull face paint. Major bad ass.

83: I was born in 1983. August.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:32 AM
Well, there you go. I learnt something new today. I never knew that Terminal was a Batman villain. Thanks for that, dude.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God of War View Post
Well, there you go. I learnt something new today. I never knew that Terminal was a Batman villain. Thanks for that, dude.
No probs.

He was a throwaway villain admittedly, but he was my favorite. He was some rich kid who tried killing Terry's friend because she got better grades. He set up traps and everything and controlled the joker gang.

Great episode.

That tag stuck with me for years and years and years.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:11 AM
Monotreme, as some of you may or may not know, is the scientific classification of the genus of egg-laying mammals, which includes the echidna and of course the platypus, which is and has always been my favorite animal. Variations on monotreme and platypus have been my handle for years. Before that, I had a Pokemon-themed handle :P
Old 05-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Mongo - a nickname since highschool

bcsd - blount county sheriffs department..worked there as a c/o

needed an email for the national criminal information center/Alabama criminal justice information center websites.. Can't run 10-29's without it.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Monotreme, as some of you may or may not know, is the scientific classification of the genus of egg-laying mammals, which includes the echidna and of course the platypus, which is and has always been my favorite animal. Variations on monotreme and platypus have been my handle for years. Before that, I had a Pokemon-themed handle :P
I only learned this yesterday, I was reading one of your posts and wondered what your name meant. I assumed it would have been something clever because you seem like a knowledgeable chap.

now less of me kissing your arse...

My name came from frustration at the other far wittier names I thought of already being taken, I ended up just typing in a basterd and being stuck with it
Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM
If you'd like to get your name changed, hit up joblo via his email. Its an easy fix.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a basterd View Post
I only learned this yesterday, I was reading one of your posts and wondered what your name meant. I assumed it would have been something clever because you seem like a knowledgeable chap.
Lol, I guess that means that Monotreme ISN'T a clever nickname :P (it really isn't, sorry to disappoint!)
Old 05-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Joined in 02 during the peak of my Western fixation, hence Doc Holiday.

13 is for Mats Sundin, my favourite hockey player of all time.

Last edited by docholiday_13; 05-28-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Old 05-28-2010, 10:12 PM
My initials are JEO and my brilliant parents decided that three family members with the same name just weren't enough. I'm 'lucky 4'. I thought it was a bit like a generic industrial label, like version 4.0 in software or a bad Hollywood sequel. It seemed funny to pick at the name in all its forms, even the initials, so I created the handle in multiple forms, including jeo4 and my e-mail, which is jeo4life.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Quote:
Lol, I guess that means that Monotreme ISN'T a clever nickname :P (it really isn't, sorry to disappoint!)
hahaha sorry, didn't really make that clear. I do think it's clever. I didn't even know there was a specific word for egg laying mammals, so I learned something new
Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Monotreme, what does the 'Treme' in your avatar mean, dude? I'm stumped
Old 05-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Treme is a new HBO series from the creator of The Wire about musicians in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. That's the title logo...
Old 05-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Since I am cursed with a total inability to detect sarcasm over the internet, I will simply respond both ways.

if you were serious: Smiert answered your question above.

If you were kidding:
Old 05-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QUENTIN View Post
Pretty obvious. I'm a fan of Tarantino's work, and was much more so when I joined. I was 13 at the time and wrote everything here in ALL CAPS, not knowing any better, hence the majuscule moniker.

I'm quite curious to hear what "Homyrrh" is since it's a word I've never seen anywhere else. RicochetShaw has a nice ring to it and BubbaStrangelove does indeed seem to fit (What "Irene Manor" was I'll never know...unless he feels obliged) just right. Thanks for the explanation Bake, I too had wondered.
Ah, well I guess I must arrive when beckoned.

If one were to query "homyrrh" on Google, s/he would see that there are over 10,000 results; the entirety of these hits are for pages related to me and me alone. From forum comments to blog posts and beyond, I have managed to create and foster a wholly unique second identity (*cackle*). I am proud of this.

Regarding the actual origin of my name, it's Old Persian for "Jonathan Goldsmith".
Old 06-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Time once again to bump my thread. If you haven't added your forum name, then please do so.

Bondgirl. Are you one of James Bond's girls? Is that it's meaning?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Quote:
Since I am cursed with a total inability to detect sarcasm over the internet, I will simply respond both ways.
I was serious. I had no clue until you guys filled me in. Thanks
Old 06-04-2011, 08:23 PM
The Seventh Seal and its main character Antonius Block.

It was possibly my favourite film at the time of joining. If memory serves me well, I hadn't seen Sunrise.