Old 12-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Netflix now on the Playstation Network

http://www.netflix.com/NRD/PS3?mqso=80025238

So i've yet to even check out netflix, this a good thing? No? thoughts?

Depending on their selection this could be sweet especially if they have hard to find stuff. Pretty sweet though to be able to stream movies on pretty much any tv as long as you got an internet connection.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 PM
It's the same thing as you'd find on the Xbox Live network.
The only difference is that you need to put in a CD each time you want to use it.

As for video options... whatever is available through Netflix for streaming video is what you get through any Netflix streaming program.

I like it, but I don't use it much just because my PC hooks up fine to my receiver and TV through HDMI, so I don't really NEED Netflix streaming through any other source.

The reason it's better than XBLive is because you don't have to pay a yearly fee for PSN.

Last edited by KcMsterpce; 12-07-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
there are rumors that they are working on a patch to make it stream without the netflix blu-ray disc. It's a nice feature.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Hmmm ok, didn't know it was alrady out on Xbox live which gives me hope that it will be stable. I guess i'll have to look into this Netflix stuff some more.

And yeah sucks that the Xboxers get dbl dipped forthe nexflix fee and the Live fee, heh.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
there are rumors that they are working on a patch to make it stream without the netflix blu-ray disc. It's a nice feature.
It will eventually be patched into the console and you won't need a disc. Rumor has it that won't happen for a while, though (late 2010).

I don't mind. Using a disc for Netflix online isn't a bad deal.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
It will eventually be patched into the console and you won't need a disc. Rumor has it that won't happen for a while, though (late 2010).

I don't mind. Using a disc for Netflix online isn't a bad deal.
yeah it's not like you need a game disk in to watch a movie anyways so i don't see how having the disc would be a problem.

I'll definately be checking it out once i get a better tv and my effin router hooked up.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:36 AM
The Disc.

I remember now the other reason for a PS3 not being my perfect solution.

Netflix Watch Now has some good stuff, but don't expect not to sort through some of the worst crap you can imagine. It's about like a video store with no new releases that aren't straight to video, except less organized, and they have stuff that wouldn't even make it to a rental store.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:47 AM
hmmm the plot thickens, But why is the Disc a deal breaker for you?
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I might be fickle in what I'm looking for. Everything has to be at the touch of a button. I can already get up to turn my computer on (remote controlled laptop connected to my TV), so it's not a big enough difference for me to feel like I'm getting a feature (if I have to get up to insert a disc) -- actually no, I don't have to get up even, since I have a 25' SVGA cable between the computer and TV. That might seem like a silly reason, but I have a really clear mission statement on my home theater and that's everything accessible at the touch of a button with a single remote. Obviously, though, this is going to be something PS3 will work around with firmware updates or newer consoles. My next cog in this whole thing is the lack of compatibility between PS3s remotes and my universal remote. It's funny, because I think PS3's controllers are better than the IR controllers the rest of my system takes, but I don't want 2 remotes either. I've heard there's an adapter you can use for the PS3 to use IR remotes, but mo' money, mo' money.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
I might be fickle in what I'm looking for. Everything has to be at the touch of a button. I can already get up to turn my computer on (remote controlled laptop connected to my TV), so it's not a big enough difference for me to feel like I'm getting a feature (if I have to get up to insert a disc) -- actually no, I don't have to get up even, since I have a 25' SVGA cable between the computer and TV. That might seem like a silly reason, but I have a really clear mission statement on my home theater and that's everything accessible at the touch of a button with a single remote. Obviously, though, this is going to be something PS3 will work around with firmware updates or newer consoles. My next cog in this whole thing is the lack of compatibility between PS3s remotes and my universal remote. It's funny, because I think PS3's controllers are better than the IR controllers the rest of my system takes, but I don't want 2 remotes either. I've heard there's an adapter you can use for the PS3 to use IR remotes, but mo' money, mo' money.
Well for the disc bit you can just leave it in if you are only going to be watching movies for the most part.

The remote thing though i got nothing for, heh.

I've done the whole hooking up the computer to the tv thing in the past but at that time my computer was always volatile due to the amount of downloading i was up to so i stopped doing that.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM
If you have your computer hooked up to your TV, you don't even NEED a console/BR player to stream Netflix.
It's not going to play awesome audio and video when streaming, and it's actually easier to flick through options and fastforward through video playing with a mouse than with any joystick.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KcMsterpce View Post
If you have your computer hooked up to your TV, you don't even NEED a console/BR player to stream Netflix.
It's not going to play awesome audio and video when streaming, and it's actually easier to flick through options and fastforward through video playing with a mouse than with any joystick.
Oh i would imagine so but i don't have it hooked up to my tv right now, need a newer tv before i bother since my monitor is better quality. Also i'm sort of nomadic with my system, mostly due to not owning a good tv, so the idea that i can take the Netflix where ever i go is win win.

But it seems Netflix in itself won't live up to my current expectations so i best not get my self all worked up lol.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:17 PM
My computer works fine, which is why I don't want the Playstation. Monitor input was one of the specific features I was looking for when buying an HDTV.

The problem is, is that the computer isn't dedicated to be a streaming media server/Netflix player. I like to use it for other stuff like video editing. The reason it's cool hooked up to the TV is because it's a laptop with a busted monitor, so I need to hook it up to something. With YouTube music videos, network official sites, there's a lot of kickass reasons to have it hooked up; however, I don't want that computer used for just consuming media.

I just want a box that sits under my TV that does everything the computer does for the reasons I have it hooked up to the TV. A Mac Mini would actually be the perfect thing, but I don't want to buy something specifically for doing that, therefore, those features, since they are available in higher price ranged BR players, are what I'm looking for, but not at a cost I'm willing to spend. I'm fickle. If I owned a second laptop, in a second, I'd be 100% satisfied with my laptop setup - the entire thing is remote controlled with the Apple Remote, except for shutting on/off, and character entry is a bitch, so even more I'd like to have a Bluetooth keyboard with mouse pad. For watching Netflix videos though - it's great. I don't want to have to unplug shit and pack up wires every time I leave and want to take my laptop.

vesaker - you should try out Netflix for a month at least. It might actually surprise you, but I'm just saying it's not on par with like Blockbuster Online as far as selection. For me, it's a lot of movies I wouldn't watch otherwise, and rarely something shows up that I'd been anticipating. Video and audio isn't the best either, but there's a workaround to always draw maximum streaming speed, but even still movies are about the quality of a 1.1gig avi file.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 12-08-2009 at 05:19 PM..
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I've watched Instant Netflix movies on my PC and my PS3 and the PS3 has a noticeable improvement in video quality. However, that may just be because my PS3 is hooked up to a standard def tv while my PC is connected to a HD LCD monitor. Either way I'm really excited that I can finally watch Instant Netflix on my PS3, because my couch is much more comfortable for viewing pleasure than my computer chair.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I might try it out. I already stream netflix on my 360, but if this works just as good, I might not need to re-new my live membership next year.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
The Disc.

I remember now the other reason for a PS3 not being my perfect solution.

Netflix Watch Now has some good stuff, but don't expect not to sort through some of the worst crap you can imagine. It's about like a video store with no new releases that aren't straight to video, except less organized, and they have stuff that wouldn't even make it to a rental store.

Netflix teamed up with Starz and now they have over 1,000 movies to choose from for free streaming. It's a lot better of a collection.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjohng View Post
Netflix teamed up with Starz and now they have over 1,000 movies to choose from for free streaming. It's a lot better of a collection.
Yeah, it's gone from shitty to kind of crappy.

I'm familiar with their library. I watch a movie off it at least 3 times a week. I'm just pushing the fact that their selection lags compared to what they have available for delivery. Some people, I think, suspect to have access to most of their library and that's far from a reality - I still stand by it being worth having. Even without the Watch Now thing, I think a Netflix membership should be standard for all film lovers.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah i'll probably be giving it a try soon enough, especially since i'm finally getting my new tv next weekend. It would be nice if they offered some sort of discount and you got to keep the movie on the PS3's HD. Like if you like it enough you pay and extra $5 or something and get to keep it on your HD. If they set up some sort of account tracking you could even get all you movies back if you ever had to format the HD.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
There are good films in there and a lot of watchable shows, but i agree in my experience you have to sort through a crap load of junk. About two or three months ago i was looking through the horror section, the first two pages (of like 10 or 12 pages) were decent, then you see a fuck load of straight to video shit you've never heard of. All the while The Exorcist (while being an instant play selection) wasn't even on the list. I hope it's been altered and sorted out since then.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:20 PM
One of the few times I'm angry about being part of America's hat, we don't get Netflix in Canada, we get it's equivalent, Zip, but that doesn't come with streaming of any sort, at least not to my knowledge. If any fellow Canadians know otherwise, I'd appreciate finding out.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocalypseWhen View Post
One of the few times I'm angry about being part of America's hat, we don't get Netflix in Canada, we get it's equivalent, Zip, but that doesn't come with streaming of any sort, at least not to my knowledge. If any fellow Canadians know otherwise, I'd appreciate finding out.
well there go my hopes and dreams......

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh Canada
Old 12-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Haha. Better twist than M. Night's The Village!!!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:20 AM
I like the streaming option because I'm into watching shitty movies; that's about 70% of my Netflix library.
So having streaming flix helps me be able to sit down and check out something on-the-fly.

Most people that aren't as much into movies as, say, most of the forum goers on joblo would not be as appreciative of the title list.

Also bear in mind that the titles fluctuate. It's not a permanent list. It's kind of like On Demand, where an option to view lasts only so long and then it's rotated for something else.
Old 12-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Some of the stuff goes is available and then not, but other stuff like City of Men and Alfred Hitchcock Presents, I've had in my instant queue for going on 3 years now.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Well, I checked on the Netflix Canada site for more information on online streaming, and it said they technically have the capacity to stream movies, but publishers are reluctant to provide that kind of support in Canada. Because as you all know, us Canadians are nothing more than filthy stinking pirates. So looks like we're kind of out of luck for now.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Ha if they made it availible then we might not need to pirate so much as a country. The amount of shit that i see taht comes out with the tag "For US residents only" makes me sick, lol.

Oh well, at least i don't live in Quebec and get left out of the majority of the stuff that's for Canadian residents, heh.