Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Does The Wire get better?

So, I finally got season 1 of HBO's The Wire through netflix because everybody and their mothers seem to love this show and on this site i've seen it called the greatest show of all time from several different people.

5 episodes into season 1 and it sucks. Does this show get better? Is the 2nd part of season 1 better or are other seasons better?

Maybe, I hyped it up too much but seriously, right now it seems like a glorified Law and Order.

Created this post to see when it gets better to determine if I should keep watching.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:48 PM
You have to stick with it. It's one of those shows that has season-long story arcs, you just have to have the patience to keep watching. If you really think it sucks, then maybe the show just isn't for you, but I would strongly encourage you to at least watch the rest of the first season and take it from there, it's worth spending the time on it. In terms of when it gets good, I suppose the first season can appear to be a little talkative at the beginning, but episode 10, 'The Cost', is where the action starts. Having said that, you'll end up losing understanding of the plot if you skip any epsiodes.

Last edited by JackassFan; 12-18-2009 at 12:52 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 12:54 PM

I know that it gets better because everywhere I look tv fans call it the best of the best. I tried to start the series a few years ago and had to stop because it wasn't interesting enough; lacking that, didn't even have any intrigue of reality to make me to look past the plodding pace for a sense of truth. Still- Even if it's a slow build, I've no doubt The Wire gets more involving. I went over to it after watching The Shield series, which is probably the more accessible and entertaining of the two just because it undercuts its realism with plenty of one liners and macho posturing. But I'm positive The Wire will turn out better than The Shield or The Sopranos when all is said and done. If you like either of those cable shows then keep your pace with Wire. It's almost unanimously top tier tv.

Give it a go and tell me if your opinion changes. I haven't gotten back into the series yet.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:31 PM
http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...76#post3117676

You were right that time.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:08 PM
Ha! I must have been thinking of The Shield... which I loved.

I'm going to finish season 1 and go from there. I'm one of those who has to watch a movie till the end even if it is garbage so not knowing what happens on The Wire even though I'm not into will bug me.

For those who have seen it... what are the best seasons... curious as to where you think season 1 is.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
As someone who thinks it's by far the best show ever, I'd go 4, 3, 1, 5, 2 in terms of ranking the seasons.

But the thing of it is, there's very much a cumulative effect with The Wire and its power. This gets said a lot, but it's like an epic novel. There's always a great deal of time spent on setup but it pays off in spades. By the time you really know the characters and are immersed in the world of their Baltimore by the end, the connections drawn and impact of the whole thing is incredible.

It's certainly possible the show just isn't for you, I don't know your taste... but I know quite a few people who didn't really like it at the beginning of season 1 or in some cases even a full season in who ended up loving it by the time they were through with the series. In fact, I haven't come across anyone who has stuck with it and didn't think of it highly, for what that's worth.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:01 AM
If you think season 1 is a "glorified Law & Order".....you really don't the point of this show, or you are not paying attention. Because the show is always on top form, people might discuss which are better, but the show never drops below greatness. The writing, casting, direction, all of it, is all on top form throughout and they never drop the ball.

To be honest, I don't think you should continue watching, because if you somehow think it sucks after 30 minutes of the the first episode, yet alone 5 episodes.....then wow. I can understand if you don't like certain aspects but to think it sucks......I'm at a loss.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:04 AM
For me, I would defintiely pick up the complete series.

This and The Shield would be my top priority.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:35 AM
I'll just put this here since it's the only Wire topic active. There's a fantastic David Simon interview in Vice Magazine.

Explains a lot about the show and its themes, and why the seasons shouldn't be ranked.

Anyway, like people have said -- maybe stick it out for the whole of Season 1. If it still hasn't made an impression, that's OK. It's not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with not liking it.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:35 PM
WOW, Bake, that was the most ex(intensive) interview I've read with David Simon. A third of that addressed The Wire directly and the rest addressed it indirectly, in terms of influence, origin and philosophy. Great find bro.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
For those who have seen it... what are the best seasons... curious as to where you think season 1 is.
For me 4, 5, 3, 1, 2

Not to say series 2 is bad, they're all the closest thing to perfection television has ever come, but I just didn't enjoy the focus being taken off the streets so much in the second season.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakeTheMooCow View Post
I'll just put this here since it's the only Wire topic active. There's a fantastic David Simon interview in Vice Magazine.

Explains a lot about the show and its themes, and why the seasons shouldn't be ranked.

Anyway, like people have said -- maybe stick it out for the whole of Season 1. If it still hasn't made an impression, that's OK. It's not for everyone and there's nothing wrong with not liking it.
GREAT read. Thanks for the link Bake.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:34 PM
I've met David a few times. I genuinely think the man is a genius. I had the great pleasure of working on The Wire's final season. I spent four and a half years in Baltimore and from a production perspective there is really nothing quite like the making of this show. I've worked on a few films and t.v. shows and The Wire is the first production with major backing that felt like a personal, passionate project for everyone, like a film students senior thesis every episode. I could only view from a certain distance, but that crew was really tight, and i think they have made the most significant American show since The Twilight Zone.

It took me till the end of Season one to get a feeling for how things roll. By the time you are comfortable, i hope you'll find it as rewarding as i do.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Thank you for all of the replies.

I have been watching and believe it gets considerably better after episode 7 of the first season. I plan on getting season 2 on netflix.

I didn't mean for my post to offend people (Mac) but I am offended by your responses. Grow up, kid... not everybody will like the shows you like. It's okay for people not to like what you like, child.

Anyways, while I do not believe the show in anywhere near perfect it has definetely caught my attention more and more as it goes on. From all the talk I am expecting big things as the series moves forward.

Being one episode away from the end of season one I still can't believe how people here, who's opinion's I respect, believe this is anywhere near the perfection of The Soprano's. But I'll wait to tell any family and friends that until I see seasons 4 and 5.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
The Sopranos was a glorified sitcom.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, you guys really didn't like that I thought The Wire felt like a glorified Law & Order.

Whatever, in my opinion that's what it was for the first half of the season. I mean, some really bad acting during those first 5 episodes. If you feel The Soprano's was that for the entire series that's fine... you're not going to upset me with your personal likes and dislikes.

Anywho, Finished season 1 last night... good finale. Overall, I think it's a better than average show, the second half of the season did a better job of telling the story. I hope season 2 has a decent storyline, I felt season 1 lacked. It's possible to give too much depth and do too much charecter development before the seasons end and I think they did too much in both areas.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofKings2525 View Post
Wow, you guys really didn't like that I thought The Wire felt like a glorified Law & Order.

Whatever, in my opinion that's what it was for the first half of the season. I mean, some really bad acting during those first 5 episodes. If you feel The Soprano's was that for the entire series that's fine... you're not going to upset me with your personal likes and dislikes.

Anywho, Finished season 1 last night... good finale. Overall, I think it's a better than average show, the second half of the season did a better job of telling the story. I hope season 2 has a decent storyline, I felt season 1 lacked. It's possible to give too much depth and do too much charecter development before the seasons end and I think they did too much in both areas.
Season 2 has a great story, but be prepared for the same slow burn. It's just a different type of show that we're not used to, the slow pace takes a while for people to appreciate.

As for the 2nd half of the season doing a better job telling the story, I wouldn't say that's true. They don't load up exposition just for the sake it. Just about everything that happens in this show happens for a reason. If you watch the show a second time, you'll pick up the importance of certain things that seemed unnecessary the first time around. There are a lot of details from as far back as the very first episode that are referenced later in the show.

Last edited by DaveyJoeG; 12-21-2009 at 12:30 PM..
Old 12-21-2009, 05:12 PM
bottom line...stick it out.

If I had to pick my favorite series, cover to cover...I think it would be a tie BSG & The Wire...both epic beginning to finish
Old 12-21-2009, 11:53 PM
KingofKings, just so you know, the Wire, as a whole, is brilliant. But there are parts that lag. The early part of season 1 I thought was somewhat boring, but understandably so, because there is a LOT that needs to be set up. Season 2, though, is by far the worst. The show in totatlity is connected, but each season introduces a new aspect of Baltimore life to critique. Season 2 has good moments in terms of tying in to the overall story, but those are few and far between. Most of season 2 deals with uninteresting labor unions.

However, once you get to season 3, the show is unmatched. Seasons 3 and 4 are what really make it, in my opinion, the greatest drama of all-time. I can't decide which of them is my favorite, but my order probably goes 3, 4, 5, 1, 2.

But you should also note that the tone of the show doesn't really change. It's a very carefully thought out show with very little action and a lot of story to tell, and EVERY character gets a lot of attention and development. If that's not your cup of tea, then don't waste your time on it.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I too have just begun this show. I've just started the fourth episode, and I can say I'm definently interested, however, I'm still waiting to get hooked.

This definently isn't my usual show though, while I don't mind "slow burn" type shows, I prefer shows that are either strictly a character drama (Six Feet Under), or more fantasy-esque (Carnivale).
Old 12-27-2009, 07:34 AM
I just gave my husband the complete series for Christmas. He said if I didn't watch it,he'd divorce me. The show is that excellent.

I'll be giving it a go soon.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 PM
I feel like there's been this unified attempt by every person in my life to force me to watch The Wire. Almost all of my friends are in love with the show and have been pushing me for several years to watch it but this year the pressure's grown larger than ever from every aspect. I thought now that I've moved for a few months out of Toronto, the pressure would be gone but my friends in Ottawa are just as much raving-Wire-fanatics. It's like a virus I can't stamp out.

This show better be the be-all-and-end-all of shows.

I'll be starting it within a week.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:39 PM
I've watched the first seven episodes of Season 1 so far and I'm really enjoying it. I find it very intersting how the cops break down these cases and how the drug dealers dodge the police in any way that they can.

Sure, there aren't shoot-outs in every episode, but it doesn't need lots of action and I think the slow process is what makes it so good.

Question: even though season 2 doesn't focus on the streets, does the show still bring up those characters from time to time?
Old 12-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricanesR1 View Post
Question: even though season 2 doesn't focus on the streets, does the show still bring up those characters from time to time?
Yep, but I won't go into any further detail so as not to spoil anything.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Season 2 is still concerned with the heroin traffic into Baltimore. It's all interconnected.

Most of the players from S1 come back on to stage in a big way in season 3.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Season 1 was very good. I've watched the first 5 episodes of Season 2 and I'm really enjoying it.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Season 2 was great. Loved the Sobotka/Greek storylines.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Nine episodes into the 3rd season and even though I felt it started very slow, it's really picked up over episodes 8 and 9.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 AM
It's good to hear you're enjoying it Hurricanes, but I retain that Season 4 and 5 are better than the first three, so you've still got the best to come. I wish I could go back and watch it all again, not knowing about the crazy twists and character progressions.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM
I thought Season 3 was very good, but not the masterpiece that so many made it out to be. 1 and 2 were better, in my opinion.

Spoiler:
The "free zone" and political mess drug on way too long.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:47 PM
The Wire's a good show, it's just absurd that people act like nothing ever made on TV even counted before The Wire graced us with its holy presence, it's the kind of absurdity that can only happen in a medium that no one considered very good until a few years ago.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
I thought Season 3 was very good, but not the masterpiece that so many made it out to be.
Season 4 is the masterpiece. S3 was very good, and wrapped up most of the loose hanging Barksdale threads, plus exploring Colvin's unorthodox ideas, but it's just a warmup act for S4.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Season 4 is where the show truly shines. I'm not gonna start talking about my feelings on the show, because then I'd be here all day. I will say however, that The Wire is my favorite show ever and by far the best one I've ever seen. But I don't watch a lot of TV. Still though. My favorite show of all time.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Quote:
I thought Season 3 was very good, but not the masterpiece that so many made it out to be. 1 and 2 were better, in my opinion.
3 was my favorite on my first watch through because of how rewarding it was to see the Barksdale/Stringer Bell stuff get resolved after years of waiting. Plus, the scenes with Barksdale and Stringer together were incredible. The deterioration of that friendship was what had me hooked. 4 is the best season (and had the best episode in my opinion), but 3 struck a cord with me because of how much was actually accomplished. But that's just how I am. Which is why 2 was my least favorite: in the grand scheme of things, not a whole lot really happened.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm down to the final 2 episodes of Season 4 and ya'll are correct....this season is the real deal and the best in the series up to the point that I'm at.

As for season 3, I thought the the ending was really good with the way
Spoiler:
Stringer and Avon turned on each other and everything came tumbling down
. It was the Carcetti mess that annoyed me the most and I thought the free zone was sort of ridiculous.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
I'm down to the final 2 episodes of Season 4 and ya'll are correct....this season is the real deal and the best in the series up to the point that I'm at.

As for season 3, I thought the the ending was really good with the way
Spoiler:
Stringer and Avon turned on each other and everything came tumbling down
. It was the Carcetti mess that annoyed me the most and I thought the free zone was sort of ridiculous.
Did you get to the episode where
Spoiler:
Randy's house was attacked?
. I don't want to say more than that, in case you didn't, as I know it's pretty late in the season. To me, that was among the most powerful scenes in the entire show. I almost cried.

As for season 3, you're right about Carcetti's story getting a bit annoying and the free zone being over the top. I'm mixed about the latter, though, because I have many relatives who are cops in bad urban areas who have always talked about just letting drug dealers do their thing in certain areas as opposed to trying to fight an impossible battle and allowing them to corrupt an entire neighborhood. So I guess that part resonated with me from a personal perspective, although it certainly detracted from the realism the show is lauded for (I know cops THINK that way, but no cop would ever try it).
Old 01-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
As for season 3, you're right about Carcetti's story getting a bit annoying and the free zone being over the top. I'm mixed about the latter, though, because I have many relatives who are cops in bad urban areas who have always talked about just letting drug dealers do their thing in certain areas as opposed to trying to fight an impossible battle and allowing them to corrupt an entire neighborhood. So I guess that part resonated with me from a personal perspective, although it certainly detracted from the realism the show is lauded for (I know cops THINK that way, but no cop would ever try it).
Former Baltimore mayor Kurt Schmoke actually considered setting up a free zone exactly like Colvin did. Schmoke had a cameo at the end of the 3rd season in one of Royce's meetings. I appreciated this story line as a hypothetical 'what if' scenario. There are other unrealistic plot points in the show, like a certain storyline in season 5, but going back and watching them they don't really bother me because they make for great entertainment.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I finished up S4 last night and you're right, the scene where
Spoiler:
Randy's house is attacked is really sad. I just feel real bad for him and Dukie. Randy doesn't have any parents and appears to be trying to do things the right way.

Mike has turned into a complete thug at the hands of Marlo, Chris, & Snoop.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM
Don't worry about Mike. He'll be just fine

Kurt Schmoke also made a cameo on Simon's nearly as brilliant NBC show, Homicide.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Finished S5 tonight. Really good series and it was cool to see how everything tied together at the end.

Spoiler:
But come on, Kenard is the one who takes out Omar? Omar was on his way to catching up to Chris, Snoop, and Marlo but get capped in the head by a boy that looks like he's just out of elementary school. Marlo was a wuss.

I kind of see now that it's really unnecessary to rank the seasons because each one is different and it's more like one big series rather than five individual seasons.