#41  
Old 01-20-2010, 05:29 AM
In re your spoiler: I loved that. Insofar as it had to happen, it should happen in exactly that random and absurd a way.

Still, don't ever forget: Omar don't scare.

Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Buck, you're right and I realized that after doing some thinking. The Wire is real life, not hollywood.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricanesR1 View Post
Buck, you're right and I realized that after doing some thinking. The Wire is real life, not hollywood.
I personally thought season 5 was the most over-the-top, particular the Omar stuff. Not just your spoiler (seemed like it was more of a shock appeal moment than a legitimately authentic one), but the Spiderman jump too. I kinda wish he never came back and just chilled.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I personally thought season 5 was the most over-the-top, particular the Omar stuff. Not just your spoiler (seemed like it was more of a shock appeal moment than a legitimately authentic one), but the Spiderman jump too. I kinda wish he never came back and just chilled.
Although seemingly fantastic, one of the real life characters on whom Omar is based actually did just that.

The SK plotline was the furthest The Wire strayed from plausibility though, yeah.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-20-2010, 11:59 PM
I didn't really like the political stuff from S3 on. Carcetti, imo, was really annoying and I wanted to mute the TV every time Clay Davis made an appearance just so I didn't have to hear him say "sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit" all the time. In fact, the politics were why I didn't enjoy S3 as much as so many others did. I LOVED the storyline regarding the characters from the previous seasons, but there were too many political scenes that basically lowered my interest in the season overall.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricanesR1 View Post
I didn't really like the political stuff from S3 on. Carcetti, imo, was really annoying and I wanted to mute the TV every time Clay Davis made an appearance just so I didn't have to hear him say "sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiit" all the time. In fact, the politics were why I didn't enjoy S3 as much as so many others did. I LOVED the storyline regarding the characters from the previous seasons, but there were too many political scenes that basically lowered my interest in the season overall.
I can understand that, but I think you'll see a lot of things differently after a second viewing. And I absolutely recommend a second viewing, you pick up on so many subtle details that went right over your head the first time. For instance the political stuff became much more dramatic for me during my second viewing because, after knowing the outcome, I saw the trickle down effect it had on every character in the Wire.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 AM
I loved the Carcetti storyline. Everything relates to everything else in that show. It's a large canvas.

I liked the guy who played Carcetti but Reg E. Cathey, who played his deputy campaign manager Norman Wilson, was just sublime. He's always been good in anything I've seen him in, but he really nailed that role.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-21-2010, 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Turgidson View Post
I loved the Carcetti storyline. Everything relates to everything else in that show. It's a large canvas.

I liked the guy who played Carcetti but Reg E. Cathey, who played his deputy campaign manager Norman Wilson, was just sublime. He's always been good in anything I've seen him in, but he really nailed that role.
Agreed, have you seen the Corner?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-21-2010, 01:43 AM
Actually, I never got around to watching that show, which I regret.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM
The Corner is at the top of my watch list. I've had several people recommend the show.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:05 PM
This seems to be THE Wire thread so I suppose I'll post in here:

Just finished Season 2 the other night and LOVED it. Absolutely loved the Sabotka/Greek storyline and Nicky is easily my third favorite character behind Omar & Stringer. I've read everywhere that 3 & 4 are the epitome of this show and I'm ridiculously pumped. RIDICULOUSLY. I for one love the slow burn and actually getting to watch everything unfold.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Nicky's a really great character. Fuck. Almost every secondary or tertiary character is great.

BTW, if anyone hasn't seen THE CORNER yet, it's on Comcast HBO on Demand in the States. If you don't have Comcast, it's definitely worth checking it out. It's a six part series written, created and based off the book by David Simon. It ran back in 2000 and has that same character build and analysis that made The Wire great. It made me sniffle like a little bitch.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I've read everywhere that 3 & 4 are the epitome of this show and I'm ridiculously pumped. RIDICULOUSLY.
I didn't get the hype around Season 3. The city hall characters sucked imo. But the last 3-4 episodes were INTENSE...VERY INTENSE. So, get ready for that. Season 4, however, is the real deal. S4 is very deep, very interesting, and 13 hours of brilliance. It's probably the most well-written season of any series in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseanymacx View Post
I for one love the slow burn and actually getting to watch everything unfold.
Season 3 is where A LOT unfolds. Many of the stories and characters from the first 2 seasons will get resolved in that season.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I personally thought season 5 was the most over-the-top, particular the Omar stuff. Not just your spoiler (seemed like it was more of a shock appeal moment than a legitimately authentic one), but the Spiderman jump too. I kinda wish he never came back and just chilled.
In regards to the Spiderman jump...
The heavy-set guy that went after Omar in that scene actually DID that. Same results happened to him, too.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-17-2010, 01:27 AM
yes. I have seen every episode. It gets pretty fucking good. Stick with it. Its interesting and not super dumb ass farfetched like most shows.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-03-2010, 12:57 PM
Almost finished with the first season, been plowin through the past two days and haven't been able to help myself (probably mostly because I'm procrastinating real work, but still...). I can say that its a top notch show that's very enjoyable, but I can't quite accentuate the aspects that keep me from loving it. Maybe after the first season is done and I've had some time to mull it over in the ol' noggin before I start the 2nd. So far, its really clever, but not brilliant.

However, the character of Omar has already definitely lived up the hype of my friends and others who have encouraged me to finally check this shit out.

"You come at the king, you best not miss...."

(Clever, considering that he, in turn, does the same thing)

And on a sidenote that few will appreciate: Its refreshing to see thugs rollin' around atleast bumpin' REAL hip-hop music and not the stupid, inbred nonsense that passes for rap nowadays. I always give bonus points for a strong soundtrack

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 08-02-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
I'm also finally got around to watching Season 1 of The Wire for the first time, having not seen any of the show before.

It is a slow start, but I was drawn in almost immediately. By the 5th or 6th episode I was watching 3 episodes a night.

I'm hooked--great characters, writing, suspense and irony; the procedural stuff never overwhelms, and is comical in the ways that the police force is limited by laws and lack of money. There are also many laugh out loud moments--a very well rounded season.

McNulty's fucking cool, and definitely a character to root for. I hope to see more of him in Season Two, which I'll be starting soon. IMDB has West as McNulty appearing in every episode, is this true?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I think McNulty appears in pretty much every episode. And I had a similar process as you - the first couple of episodes are just SO overwhelming; there are so many characters to learn and so many things going on. But once you get the hang of it, you just get hooked, and like you, by mid-season I just couldn't stop watching! Glad to see another fan join the still-all-too-limited club!
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-11-2010, 10:08 AM
McNulty's a good cop, but he's mostly a douchebag. He's a dick. A likeable dick, but a dick none-the-less. Most of the characters are charming, but still hard to like (except for maybe Omar, but that goes without saying), though this doesn't take away from the rest of the show, however, as its still thoroughly engrossing.

Oh yeah, and I'll probably'll be done with the 3rd season by tonight.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 08-02-2010 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-11-2010, 01:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Yeah, I think McNulty appears in pretty much every episode. And I had a similar process as you - the first couple of episodes are just SO overwhelming; there are so many characters to learn and so many things going on. But once you get the hang of it, you just get hooked, and like you, by mid-season I just couldn't stop watching! Glad to see another fan join the still-all-too-limited club!
Thanks--I'm surprised more people aren't into this show, honestly!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
McNulty's a good cop, but he's mostly a douchebag. He's a dick. A likeable dick, but a dick none-the-less. Most of the characters are charming, but still hard to like (except for maybe Omar, but that goes without saying), though this doesn't take away from the rest of the show, however, as its still thorough engrossing.

Oh yeah, and I'll probably'll be done with the 3rd season by tonight.
Why does everyone say McNulty's such a dick? Sure he's a bit self-absorbed, but he's damn good at his job, he means well, and he's not a dick on the level of Maj. Rawls or Sgt. Landsman who both do much to block McNulty's efforts in Season 1.

Yeah, he's a drunk that sleeps around and puts his kids in danger on recon, but he's still my favorite character and I'm still glad to hear the show orbits around him in later seasons.

The fact that many of the characters are hard to like in ways, and that they do things that are definitely shady, I find that to be more life-like than if their just static, likable characters all the time.

Smiert, you're getting too far ahead of me! I'm still waiting for my friend to get back in town so I can get Season Two going! Makes for a nice Breaking Bad replacement, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-11-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Why does everyone say McNulty's such a dick? Sure he's a bit self-absorbed, but he's damn good at his job, he means well, and he's not a dick on the level of Maj. Rawls or Sgt. Landsman who both do much to block McNulty's efforts in Season 1.

Yeah, he's a drunk that sleeps around and puts his kids in danger on recon, but he's still my favorite character and I'm still glad to hear the show orbits around him in later seasons.
Word. I will be the first to say that McNulty is good cop with his heart in the right place, but (and this gonna sound like somethin' out of some cop action movie) he's a liability. He's obscenely wreckless and completely unpredictable (bordering on dangerous), but above all, his willingness sometimes to throw hardworking people, some of whom constantly look out for him, under the bus in order to further his own agenda is what bothers me most. The alcoholism, infidelity, and putting the lives of his children at risk parts are just the multiple layers of icing on the asshole cake. McNulty is a cool character when he's on the case, kickin' ass and takin' names, but outside of that, he's a douche. However, Dominic West is fantastic in the role.

I totally respect Rawls. His agenda is with McNulty, not what he stands for. When its time to put his ego aside ago for the sake of the bigger case, he does it. Rawls doesn't take any shit and he keeps a close eye on his department and what's happening on his streets, knowing more about what's goin' on than many of the cops below him. Now Landsman on the other hand? I hope that fat fuck chokes to death on a cheeseburger. Only the 2nd biggest piece of shit cop on the show behind Commisioner Burrell, who also needs to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
The fact that many of the characters are hard to like in ways, and that they do things that are definitely shady, I find that to be more life-like than if their just static, likable characters all the time.
Indeed, I will definitely give you that. But not completely liking a character, at least in my case, prevents me from really caring about them. Sure, I don't want McNulty to die since he's got kids, but a lot other characters (some that I'm amused by, some I loathe), good cops and cool criminals, I could give a fuck if most of them catch a bullet. Considering the realism of the show in its depiction of murder and its unpredictability in that almost anybody can "get got," caring whether that happens is important.

Now, this is not to say that I don't have a soft spot for several ppl like Lester Freeman, Bodie, and Bubbles. And as I've stated before, Omar is the real star of the show for my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Smiert, you're getting too far ahead of me! I'm still waiting for my friend to get back in town so I can get Season Two going!
Haha word, I'm sorry. I'd been in a rut previously where I couldn't really focus my attention enough to dive into anything (be it tv of film), so now that I've managed to shake myself out of that and have found something that has genuinely got me hooked, its hard to stop

Once I'm done with the third though, I'll be taking a break since A. I'll be busy all this upcoming week and weekend and B. I've read that season 4 is the best, so I wanna build my anticipation for it. I'm probably gonna finally get around to checkin' out Justified or Battlestar Galactica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Makes for a nice Breaking Bad replacement, eh?
A temporary one, yes. Personally, BrBa is still top dog, imo, for a number of reasons, but The Wire has definitely earned my respect.

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 07-11-2010 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Word. I will be the first to say that McNulty is good cop with his heart in the right place, but (and this gonna sound like somethin' out of some cop action movie) he's a liability. He's obscenely wreckless and completely unpredictable (bordering on dangerous), but above all, his willingness sometimes to throw hardworking people, some of whom constantly look out for him, under the bus in order to further his own agenda is what bothers me most. The alcoholism, infidelity, and putting the lives of his children at risk parts are just the multiple layers of icing on the asshole cake. McNulty is a cool character when he's on the case, kickin' ass and takin' names, but outside of that, he's a douche. However, Dominic West is fantastic in the role.
Co-signed on West being fantastic in this role--I'd only seen him in Punisher: War Zone before this, which, let's face it, was a less than spectacular role for him as Jigsaw (but he did what he could with it). West definitely seems to be the fulcrum of the show as Peter Krause's Nate was to Six Feet Under.

Look at McNulty with D'Angelo as a counterpoint, and I think you can find a lot of similarities--earnest, has heart and conscious but has to do unsavory things because of the situations they're both in.

Hell the whole Barksdale clan, along with Stringer, are fascinating characters in their own right. Can't wait to get back them, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
I totally respect Rawls. His agenda is with McNulty, not what he stands for. When its time to put his ego aside ago for the sake of the bigger case, he does it. Rawls doesn't take any shit and he keeps a close eye on his department and what's happening on his streets, knowing more about what's goin' on than many of the cops below him. Now Landsman on the other hand? I hope that fat fuck chokes to death on a cheeseburger. Only the 2nd biggest piece of shit cop on the show behind Commisioner Burrell, who also needs to die.
But the fact that Rawls was asking for others to dig up dirt on McNulty, so he could shut his investigation down, leads me to think that he's not as on top of what his police force is trying to do as he seems. Either that, or he's letting his own ego get to him as McNulty goes behind his back with the judge, or the idiots on the force do something stupid like going down to the projects inciting the riot. To me Rawls doesn't seem above petty personal vendettas, to the detriment of the case McNulty and co. were trying to build.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Indeed, I will definitely give you that. But not completely liking a character, at least in my case, prevents me from really caring about them. Sure, I don't want McNulty to die since he's got kids, but a lot other characters (some that I'm amused by, some I loathe), good cops and cool criminals, I could give a fuck if most of them catch a bullet. Considering the realism of the show in its depiction of murder and its unpredictability in that almost anybody can "get got," caring whether that happens is important.
I was hoping at least to see Herc catch a beatdown or something. But he's likable in a boneheaded way. I like the whole force--from Pryzbylewski to Freamon, they all added a piece to the puzzle of bringing down the Barksdales.

As far as "getting got", it was pretty upsetting to see Kima catch those shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
]Now, this is not to say that I don't have a soft spot for several ppl like Lester Freeman, Bodie, and Bubbles. And as I've stated before, Omar is the real star of the show for my money.
While I thought the actor who played Bubbles was fantastic, his story arc got tedious to me in the middle of the season. But it was resolved in a great and very moving way. It didn't help that for some reason I thought he was Kima's brother for about 9 episodes, for some reason.

Omar is definitely the shit, and I understand he comes to prominence in a big way in later seasons. Awesome.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Haha word, I'm sorry. I'd been in a rut previously where I couldn't really focus my attention enough to dive into anything (be it tv of film), so now that I've managed to shake myself out of that and have found something that has genuinely got me hooked, its hard to stop
It seems to be a good time to soak up this series, as the TV season has dried up, and most movies out right now are abominable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Once I'm done with the third though, I'll be taking a break since A. I'll be busy all this upcoming week and weekend and B. I've read that season 4 is the best, so I wanna build my anticipation for it. I'm probably gonna finally get around to checkin' out Justified or Battlestar Galactica.
What of David Simon's new series Treme? Don't have HBO, haven't seen it yet--I should look for the thread that's sure to exist for it on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
A temporary one, yes. Personally, BrBa is still top dog, imo, for a number of reasons, but The Wire has definitely earned my respect.
I'd say The Wire is far more epic in scope, but BrBa is going for something a bit more contained and less realistic, obviously. They're both TV titans, no question about it.

Last edited by Ayestrain; 07-11-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Co-signed on West being fantastic in this role--I'd only seen him in Punisher: War Zone before this, which, let's face it, was a less than spectacular role for him as Jigsaw (but he did what he could with it). West definitely seems to be the fulcrum of the show as Peter Krause's Nate was to Six Feet Under.
Word. As a comic fan, I thought West was pretty awesome as Jigsaw, atleast in comparison to the only two other films of his I've seen of his, which were 300 and The Forgotten. I haven't checked out SFU yet, but I plan to in the semi-near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Look at McNulty with D'Angelo as a counterpoint, and I think you can find a lot of similarities--earnest, has heart and conscious but has to do unsavory things because of the situations they're both in.
That's the thing though...cheating on your wife, that's unsavory. Drinking to excess everytime you're not on the clock, that's unsavory. But McNulty doesn't just do that. McNulty also fucks people over, straight up. Friends, no less. And I won't spoil anything that happens further down the line since you're a bit behind, but I think you'll come to see how destructive McNulty's behavior is and how it affects those who are close to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
Hell the whole Barksdale clan, along with Stringer, are fascinating characters in their own right. Can't wait to get back them, too.
Indeed. Grant it, I didn't really buy Wood Harris in the role during most the first season, but he really comes into his own in the 2nd. I doubt I'll be able to see him the same the next time I watch Remember the Titans haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
But the fact that Rawls was asking for others to dig up dirt on McNulty, so he could shut his investigation down, leads me to think that he's not as on top of what his police force is trying to do as he seems. Either that, or he's letting his own ego get to him as McNulty goes behind his back with the judge, or the idiots on the force do something stupid like going down to the projects inciting the riot. To me Rawls doesn't seem above petty personal vendettas, to the detriment of the case McNulty and co. were trying to build.
You have a point, but I think you'll see Rawl is really on the level as the show goes on. Off the Majors and other law enforcement superiors go, I think he's the most legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
I was hoping at least to see Herc catch a beatdown or something. But he's likable in a boneheaded way. I like the whole force--from Pryzbylewski to Freamon, they all added a piece to the puzzle of bringing down the Barksdales.
Yeah, Herc's kindof like how I viewed Hank during the first and most of the 2nd season of BrBa. A funny guy, but I could take or leave him. Similarly to the situation with Hank though, I've come to respect Herc a bit more as this 3rd season has concluded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
While I thought the actor who played Bubbles was fantastic, his story arc got tedious to me in the middle of the season. But it was resolved in a great and very moving way. It didn't help that for some reason I thought he was Kima's brother for about 9 episodes, for some reason.
Word, definitely a touching conclusion for his first season arc. And don't feel bad, I thought the exact same thing until he actually went to his sister's. I wonder if it was intentional...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
It seems to be a good time to soak up this series, as the TV season has dried up, and most movies out right now are abominable.

What of David Simon's new series Treme? Don't have HBO, haven't seen it yet--I should look for the thread that's sure to exist for it on here.
I still have a pilot saved on my HD, but haven't gotten around to it. Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of straight up dramas, I usually need to have a crime or sci-fi element to really peak my interests, but considering how good Wire is, I supposed I owe David Simon a chance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
I'd say The Wire is far more epic in scope, but BrBa is going for something a bit more contained and less realistic, obviously. They're both TV titans, no question about it.
Word, The Wire is definitely much wider in scope, but that also emphasizes one of the reasons that I like BrBa so much: it does more with less. I still find Walt's exploits to be pretty firmly planted in realism as far as television goes, but it obviously doesn't relish in the hyper-realism of The Wire. BrBa just has a certain charm, and I'd be a liar if I didn't say that I really appreciate the more comedic moments, which I think are both a treat and also to help accentuate the insane drama/action. Never-the-less, they're definitely titans, but they're also the best in their specific genre. (Ex. IMO, Deadwood is the best western, BrBa is the best crime drama, and The Wire is the best police procedural drama)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-20-2010, 05:50 AM
Hey, Ayestrain, whenever you finish the third season, you have GOT to see this trailer for season 4. Assuming you'll already be a hardcore fan by that point, this well-crafted trailer (which can't be found anywhere else apparently as it only aired briefly on HBO) will having you, as one of the commenters of the vid perfectly describes, going apeshit with anticipation for it. Its so damn good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg94rUtzkz8

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 07-20-2010 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Hey, Ayestrain, whenever you finish the third season, you have GOT to see this trailer for season 4. Assuming you'll already be a hardcore fan by that point, this well-crafted trailer (which can't be found anywhere else apparently as it only aired briefly on HBO) will having you, as one of the commenters of the vid perfectly describes, going apeshit with anticipation for it. Its so damn good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg94rUtzkz8
Cool! I'll definitely come back to that!

I'm halfway through Season 2, loving it so far. I can't believe they did D'Angelo like that. One of my favorite characters.

The Port setting has been surprisingly fertile for story this season as well.

I already have Season 3 in hand too, so it should be a nice summer of The Wire.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Finished Seas. 2 last night. It's excellent, but I think I enjoyed Seas 1 just a little bit more.

Spoiler:
It was heartbreaking to see Frank Sobotka end up the way he did. Like Wallace and D'Angelo before him, he seems to be a mostly moral person on the sidelines of what's happening, who get swept up in events beyond their control in a big and tragic way in the end.


It was great to see Stringer, Avon, Omar as well as Bunk, Prez, Kima and Freamon and all the rest of the regulars, even if it was a bit contrived that they got the same squad together all over again. There's also some very heavy subtext and symbolism going on this season that I might have to watch again to catch all of, as well.

Whatever happens to Nick Sobotka? Does he turn up again?

Well, on to Season 3 this weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Nick Sobotka:

Spoiler:
has a brief cameo in Season Five
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Right on. Most people that I have talked to have said that they found Season 2 to be the weakest, mostly citing it as "slow." I found it to be just as enjoyable as other seasons, even if I do agree that it was def a bit contrived in how they reassembled the team for the new case. In subsequent seasons, they skip the bullshit set-up and get right into it, which I appreciate. Also, Frank was def my fav character of season 2.

Spoiler:
What you pointed out, the mostly moral person falling victim because of their beliefs, is a re-occuring theme that you will see continue throughout the rest of the series. In a way, I appreciate their honest, albeit brutal, depiction of real life in that there's no room for compassion in "the game" and the good guys seldom win.


What'd you think of Brother Mouzone? 'Ya think the BrBa writers may have taken a little inspiration from him when they created Gus Fring, ey? Just a thought...



Enjoy season 3

Last edited by Smiert Spionam; 07-27-2010 at 05:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Season Two I found much more enjoyable during my second run through. It really expands on the scope of the series and helps the viewer put all the pieces together. I just think the narrative shift that puts the dock workers in the foreground throws a lot of people off. Looking back on the series as a whole, season two does seem a little out of place, but still entirely necessary. In my opinion:

4>3>5>2>1
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 08-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Just finished Season 2 and I am fucking loving it. It took me a while to get through the first two seasons because I have been busy, but I just plowed through the second half of the second season and am looking forward to plowing through the rest of the series and finishing it by the end of August.

My favorite characters are Omar, McNulty, Bubbles and Bodie.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiert Spionam View Post
Right on. Most people that I have talked to have said that they found Season 2 to be the weakest, mostly citing it as "slow." I found it to be just as enjoyable as other seasons, even if I do agree that it was def a bit contrived in how they reassembled the team for the new case. In subsequent seasons, they skip the bullshit set-up and get right into it, which I appreciate. Also, Frank was def my fav character of season 2.

Spoiler:
What you pointed out, the mostly moral person falling victim because of their beliefs, is a re-occuring theme that you will see continue throughout the rest of the series. In a way, I appreciate their honest, albeit brutal, depiction of real life in that there's no room for compassion in "the game" and the good guys seldom win.


What'd you think of Brother Mouzone? 'Ya think the BrBa writers may have taken a little inspiration from him when they created Gus Fring, ey? Just a thought...



Enjoy season 3
I didn't know what to make of Mouzone--they never fleshed him out much. Does he return? I assume he will. Funny you mention the similarity to Fring--I remember someone saying in a Bra Bad thread that they knew Giancarlo Esposito from The Wire, so I've been expecting him to pop up. No good way to say this, but Bra Bad seems like a white person's experience in the Wire--and I can see where they got some thematic ideas for Bra Bad for it.

So far I'm loving Season 3, it's on another level altogether. The concept of "Hamsterdam" is brilliant.

Spoiler:
The character for me this season is Dennis "Cutty"--loving his character arc. The scene between him and Avon--"He's a man today"--damn, that scene made me bawl like a baby!! I'm fearful their going to 'Frank Sobotka' Cutty though--I really really hope not!


They really hammer home how bureaucracy gets in the way of real police work--it's funny when you start seeing parallels with your own job with this show, that it's just bosses barking about numbers in the end.

Yes, and now I see why people think McNulty is such a dickhead through this season. Still a good cop though. Love to see how he's manipulating the whole Brianna / Stringer / D'Angelo situation.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I fucking love hearing schmoes continually getting into the series. I think it may just be the best of the best modern fiction out there today, be it television, literature or film. I worked on the fifth season for a while and the attitude to the work and attention to craft is like nothing i have seen since.

Last edited by APzombie; 08-01-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by APzombie View Post
I fucking love hearing schmoes continually getting into the series. I think it may just be the best of the best modern fiction out there today, be it television, literature or film. I worked on the fifth season for a while and the attitude to the work and attention to craft is like nothing i have seen since.
I'm crazy excited to say I'm about to join in the crowd discussion soon. I just scored THE COMPLETE SERIES DVD Set for $56 on ebay not long ago. Each season set costs so much so wining the auction was a major coup for me. I've heard so many great things about the show so I'm excited.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Just finished watching Season 4 the other night. I think I need to ice my balls after getting kicked so hard. It's amazing that a series can still draw me in like that despite the fact that I already knew the characters' fates.

Spoiler:
In a way, it makes some of the scenes even more heartbreaking to watch with prior knowledge like that. Bodie sitting on the park bench and telling McNulty, "I feel old." is just gut-wrenching. And the way Poot begs him to run away and Bodie just shakes his head...man.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-02-2010, 01:16 AM
I was reading earlier in the thread about the S5 storyline feeling the most unrealistic but I think it was more of an issue with execution.

Spoiler:
I think that two guys faking a serial killer isn't nearly as unrealistic as making a whole section of a city have legal drug use. The Hamsterdam plot was just executed better because Colvin was a terrific character, the story developed well enough throughout the season and it dealt with an interesting topic. The serial killer stuff was all orchestrated by someone everybody knows is a fuck-up (I'm sure a lot of people were more interested in it when Lester joined in) and the idea didn't really seem to have much resonance aside from the basic 'fuck the system!' routine which was already done a billion times before.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
I was reading earlier in the thread about the S5 storyline feeling the most unrealistic but I think it was more of an issue with execution.

Spoiler:
I think that two guys faking a serial killer isn't nearly as unrealistic as making a whole section of a city have legal drug use. The Hamsterdam plot was just executed better because Colvin was a terrific character, the story developed well enough throughout the season and it dealt with an interesting topic. The serial killer stuff was all orchestrated by someone everybody knows is a fuck-up (I'm sure a lot of people were more interested in it when Lester joined in) and the idea didn't really seem to have much resonance aside from the basic 'fuck the system!' routine which was already done a billion times before.
I believe it was me who said that Season 5 didn't feel as real as the rest of the show. You're right about the execution, but there's something else (at least to me).

Spoiler:
Legalizing drugs part to be more of a philosophical statement.
It's something many people have wondered about, and although it would never happen in a major city, it still struck a chord with me because it has always been an interesting hypothetical issue. Season 5's fake serial killer was an interesting statement about the media, but it was contrived and, at least to me, was something that only feels real to people who actually worked for newspapers (like David Simon, which is probably why he thought of that plot line). And I also thought the stuff with Omar was corny in Season 5. Wish he never came back
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayestrain View Post
They really hammer home how bureaucracy gets in the way of real police work--it's funny when you start seeing parallels with your own job with this show, that it's just bosses barking about numbers in the end.
That's a theme that Simon started on Homicide. The PD and city establishment care much less about doing the job that being seen and thought to be doing it. They also value conformity and being a team player far more than they do quality police work. Rawls was up McNulty's ass from day one and there are myriad other examples.

On Homicide, Al Giardello was passed over for a promotion in favor of the manifestly incompetant Frank Gaffney as punishment for not playing along when the chief wanted him to bury an arrest of a prominent city councilman.

On this show, Lester Freamon was exiled to the records division (where he spent most of his time in the lucrative practice of making miniature furniture) for a very similar reason. Bunk and McNulty are equally great detectives but Bunk knows how to play the game and McNulty never does. He probably could but it's just not in his nature. Colvin is cut from the same cloth and it's what ultimately gets him into trouble.

I love that some of these people get results without ever really losing their souls, even if they have to get a little dirty. Bunk is the master but Daniels and Keema make good progress, too.

And Brother Mouzone returns in S3. He and Omar get a few things straight
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Just finished Season 4. Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

The final 4 episodes of Season 3 through the finale of Season 4 is my single most favorite thing in TV/cinema/media/WHATEVER history . Every episode left me more drained than the last and it was all memorable. The sheer depth of this series is unbelievable.

There was more than one occasion in which a rogue tear went down my cheek.

Still pretty speechless and absorbing everything I've taken in over the last couple days.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-06-2010, 06:30 AM
Dang, how did I miss a Wire thread.

I started getting into the show a few months ago when I noticed Season 1 on the local library shelf. I loved it so much I asked them to order the rest of the show and much to my surprise - they agreed!

I'm currently on Season 4 (episode 6, the election day) and I can only echo what everyone else is saying in that it is most definitely the cleverest show around and the depth of it is amazing. I liked the first three seasons equally but if I had to pick a favourite it would be Season 2, I just found the three Sobotka's to be such a compelling addition to the show and the actors did a fantastic job there.

My top characters are the typical favourites McNulty, Bunk and Omar as well as Bodie. I really like the decision to focus on kids that we're getting in Season 4 now, not only does it make the programme more powerful as the effects of the system will seem more tragic, but it's making me get all nostalgic about my own high school experiences (not that I lived in an area anywhere near as troublesome).

Marlo is a brilliant character too, a masterclass in villainous acting right there.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Marlo was probably my least favorite character this side of that fat fuck Landsman. For me, he was actually the most unrealistic aspect of the show. He's pretty much just the ultimate MacGuffin, imo, who didn't really have a personality of his own and only served to advance the plot in the later story-arcs...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump