Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 AM
Please Recommend Me Some 'Water Monster' Movies

Over the last few years I have become increasingly obsessed with movies that revolve around anything monstrous from within a body of water. Whether it be in the oceans, rivers, creeks, lakes, or whatever. Movies or documentaries alike. I love them all.

Some examples that constitute my ever growing fascination and dvd collection with this genre are Jaws, Alligator, Rogue, Black Water, The Abyss, The Host, The sea monster trilogy, Surface, various Godzilla movies like Godzilla vs the sea monster. Anaconda movies, Deep Star Six, Leviathan, The Beast, Deep Rising, Deep Blue Sea, Primeval, Orca, Moby Dick, Frankenfish, Lake Placid, Clash of the Titans, Piranha.

I have all of those on dvd, and am looking for more.

What are some more good water-based monster movies? I don't care how obscure they are or in what language. Movie or doco? I need more. I even have the Conan series on dvd, and that has an episode that revolves around a hideous sea monster.

I need MOAR... Thanks

Last edited by God of War; 03-21-2009 at 03:54 AM..
Old 03-21-2009, 04:14 AM
Creature from the Black Lagoon, and its sequels.

Deep Shock. It has David Keith and it has eels. That's movie magic, people.

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. The Jaguar Shark is a sea monster. Any excuse I can give to get people to watch this movie, the better.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:16 AM
I could only think of a few that you are probably already aware of:

Creature From The Black Lagoon
Cloverfield
Sphere
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

I remember a segment called "The Raft" from Creepshow 2 that was pretty badass, but it was only one of four parts to the movie.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM
There's a scene in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring where the Fellowship battles a water monster. It's not the entire movie, but a cool sequence nonetheless.

King Kong, both the original and the remake have a water monster sequence. I can't remember if the remake has it in the theatrical release or the extended edition (which is the one I own).

And Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, the second movie in the trilogy, has some absolutely awesome action scenes involving a giant water monster . . . the Kraken!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:41 PM
Deep Blue Sea is a pretty fun one; super-smart sharks attacking a water-based compound, Samuel L. Jackson monologuing, plenty of deaths that you wouldn't have expected, and LL Cool J proves once again he is the only black man who can survive every horror film he's in (Mindhunters, which is only a semi-horror flick at best, Halloween H20, and this flick. You are fucking astounding LL, props to you).
Old 03-21-2009, 02:59 PM

Finding Nemo :P
Old 03-21-2009, 03:07 PM
Good lord... I can't think of anything else.

Hey, there's always "Water Horse: Legend of the Deep"

Last edited by FireCaptain4; 03-21-2009 at 03:10 PM..
Old 03-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Beowulf could be included . . . though Angelina Jolie probably isn't what you had in mind when you think sea-monster.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Piranha 2
Old 03-21-2009, 04:13 PM
It's out of print and pretty hard to coome by, but for my money "Humanoids from the Deep" from Roger Corman is my favorite water monster movie. It's incredibly gory and is filled with over the top content. Check out the description on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Humanoids-Deep...7669632&sr=8-5
Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM

Worth a good laugh, if only for the Irish accents.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbenz View Post
It's out of print and pretty hard to coome by, but for my money "Humanoids from the Deep" from Roger Corman is my favorite water monster movie. It's incredibly gory and is filled with over the top content. Check out the description on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Humanoids-Deep...7669632&sr=8-5
Awesome movie.

Oh, and God of War...we share a love of aquatic monster flicks

I remember seeing an old killer octopus movie called Tentacles when i was younger. Lame as shit.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
LOCH NESS TERROR
Old 03-21-2009, 11:10 PM
An Australian movie called Rogue is awesome. Sam Worthington and Michael Varton are in it. About a big Croc up north.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickula11 View Post
An Australian movie called Rogue is awesome. Sam Worthington and Michael Varton are in it. About a big Croc up north.
And talented hottie Radha Mitchell.

I can't think of any of them right now. What about VIRUS? It's DEEP RISING but with killer alien robots. You also have the JAWS sequels and the SHARK ATTACK flicks.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:16 PM
The coveted classic...and my avatar...

Alligator!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Shores View Post
Creature from the Black Lagoon, and its sequels.

Deep Shock. It has David Keith and it has eels. That's movie magic, people.

The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. The Jaguar Shark is a sea monster. Any excuse I can give to get people to watch this movie, the better.
I'm such a douchebag at times. Your first recommendation is already in my collection and I love it, one of my altime favs. However, I have never seen the two sequels, Creature walks among us and return of the creature. Only clips from the making of the original on the dvd. I will try and track them down now. Thanks also for the other two listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreySlayDisplay View Post
I could only think of a few that you are probably already aware of:

Creature From The Black Lagoon
Cloverfield
Sphere
The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms

I remember a segment called "The Raft" from Creepshow 2 that was pretty badass, but it was only one of four parts to the movie.
Thanks. I have Cloverfield. Love it! Sequel/prequel whatever should be interesting. Sphere is unusual in that it doesn't have your conventional sea monster. I hated this movie with a passion upon my first viewing. But subsequent screenings have raised my opinion on this movie. The last two I also have. Being a Ray Harryhausen fan from my earliest childhood movie memories, I loved the beast. Also, do you remember a B movie called "The Rift"? Been looking for that for many years and with no success. Ah well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
There's a scene in Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring where the Fellowship battles a water monster. It's not the entire movie, but a cool sequence nonetheless.

King Kong, both the original and the remake have a water monster sequence. I can't remember if the remake has it in the theatrical release or the extended edition (which is the one I own).

And Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, the second movie in the trilogy, has some absolutely awesome action scenes involving a giant water monster . . . the Kraken!!!
Yep, got all of them. Thanks, RED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmJunkie1114 View Post
Deep Blue Sea is a pretty fun one; super-smart sharks attacking a water-based compound, Samuel L. Jackson monologuing, plenty of deaths that you wouldn't have expected, and LL Cool J proves once again he is the only black man who can survive every horror film he's in (Mindhunters, which is only a semi-horror flick at best, Halloween H20, and this flick. You are fucking astounding LL, props to you).
Yeah, I also like deep blue sea. SJ's demise took me by surprise lol. So many shark movies. Alot of which are very bad. But DBS is a better one. It's no Jaws, but it's nonetheless a fun flick. "How smart can he be, he's pissing into the wind." There's also those Open Water movies. Meh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared318 View Post

Finding Nemo is awesome. Got that too. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireCaptain4 View Post
Hey, there's always "Water Horse: Legend of the Deep"
Yup, that counts for sure, dude. Nessy. I liked that film. He is a monster, but a friendly one at that.

Quote:
Beowulf could be included . . . though Angelina Jolie probably isn't what you had in mind when you think sea-monster.
I saw Beowulf at the IMAX and quite enjoyed it. Got it on dvd, but not the ext cut. Is it worth buying you think? I think AJ makes a good monster in this as well. Thanks again, RED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athf1980 View Post
Piranha 2
I have both that and the original. Remake in 3D apparently is on the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbenz View Post
Thank you. That is a movie I have been meaning to see for a long time. Also thanks for the link. I know it's nothing to do with this but for some reason I think of the Deep. Haven't seen that either. No monster as such, but an underwater movie.

I'll be sure to try and look that one up. le big mac, thanks, dude. I think it's a rental in the weekly section at my local dvd shop. That cover rings a bell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopontheshoes7 View Post
Oh, and God of War...we share a love of aquatic monster flicks

I remember seeing an old killer octopus movie called Tentacles when i was younger. Lame as shit.
Never saw Tentacles, any good? Remember Mogula from city beneath the sea? He was a ginormous manta ray creature that was bigger than the nautilus. HUGE! Good to sea (pun) another aquatic monster movie fan, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
LOCH NESS TERROR
I read up on that. Might be worth checking out. Thanks

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0930072/

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickula11 View Post
Yup, got that. It's actually my fav croc movie. I sat in an empty cinema to see this. It was awesome! Believe it or not, we have crocs over here bigger than the mechanical one showcased in Rogue. Hard to believe, but it's true. Scary shit! Even in the doco it says so. Fuck that for a joke. Real monsters lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad man View Post
What about VIRUS? It's DEEP RISING but with killer alien robots. You also have the JAWS sequels and the SHARK ATTACK flicks.
I saw Virus. It most definately fits the genre I'm looking for, but I didn't really like it much. But good call on mentioning it. Thanks. Jaws 2 was ok. Didn't like the rest. And I saw that megalodon movie. Terrible lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcat View Post
The coveted classic...and my avatar...

Alligator!!!
I love that movie. One of my fav scenes is where the alligator crashes the outdoor party lol But I can't seem to locate a widescreen version. Is yours in widescreen?

Last edited by God of War; 03-22-2009 at 08:59 PM..
Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes, my copy of Alligator is widescreen... I either purchased it at Best Buy or F.Y.E., cant really remember which one.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Check out the Werner Herzog documentary Incident at Loch Ness
Old 03-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Dont forget that spectacular sequence in which Beowulf fights those two gigantic sea creatures in the middle of the ocean, that scene was amazing, loved it when he cuts the monster in half from top to bottom, awesome sequence.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:48 AM

Theres a film called Attack of the Crab Monsters (1957) its in black and white and has these cheesy giant mutated crab creatures. You know, your basic nuclear mutation movie from the 50s.

The creatures in C.H.U.D. leave beneath the streets of New York, in the watery sewers.

In Creatures from the Abyss (1994), you get really cheesy mutated flying fish and squids killing a bunch of kids inside of a military complex/lab. Corniest kind of stop motion animation and effects make it mildly enjoyable.

Creature from the Haunted Sea (1961) is a Roger Corman produced flick about a sea creature has the crappiest looking monster Ive ever seen on any movie. Its goofy looking, couldnt in a million years be considered scary in the least.

Endless Decent (1989) Genetic Experiments gone wrong supply the monsters in this underwater monster movie. Cant believe this movie is from 1989 with such crappy effects.

And lets not forget Costners Waterworld.

Last edited by spacemonkey; 03-24-2009 at 10:34 AM..
Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
1989 was the watershed year for underwater monster movies, that basically were trying to cash in on the moderate success of The Abyss. Being that you have already mentioned Deep Star Six and Leviathan, I would add the other, rather unknown underwater creature feature Lords of the Deep that was released during the same time frame as the others.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Frankenfish turned out to be way better than I would have thought...
Old 03-24-2009, 10:17 PM
what about the anaconda movies -- certainly an aquatic snake
Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM
Didn't one of the Tales from the Darkside movies have a water monster? I seem to remember teens being trapped in the middle of a lake on some large raft type thing and this oily looking water monster eating them?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Naw BlownCamaro, your talking about Creepshow II, the story is called "The Raft" and its about these kids who go to a lake for a vacation, and on the lake theres this black oily slimy creature that wants to eat them alive. I think its one of the best stories on that particular film.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the cool recommendations, everyone. And, Spacemonkey, I haven't heard of any of those last ones, except of course, Waterworld. I really like that movie. Starcat, Frankenfish is a little gem of a movie. I loved it. Tbone, I have all the Anaconda movies, as lame as some of them are. lol. And the Raft from Creepshow 2 is my fav story of the three. Then Chief Woodenhead lol
Old 03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
"War Of The Gargantuas" 1966

"War Of The Gargantuas" (1966) features 2 Giants aka Gargantuas! one from land and one from the sea. Kinda cool film.Click image for larger version

Name:	war_of_gargantuas-727439.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	7784

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 03-27-2009 at 08:38 PM..
Old 03-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Theres a great segment in one of the Fright Nights about a man eating ooze floating in a lake. Probably my favorite segment.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 PM
How bout Alien Resurrection?
Old 01-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Here's one upcoming flick you guys might be interested in, Empires of the Deep.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Creature From the Black Lagoon is always a favorite of mine
Old 01-25-2010, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquared318 View Post

OMG xD!