Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Artist absconds with Canada's $147k,fails to deliver giant floating banana over Texas

I remember hearing about the Banana years ago. Totally forgot about it till now.

Apparently the country of Canada paid an Argentinian artist $147,000 to build a giant, 300 meter flying banana which would be flown above Texas, possibly into geostationary orbit, as an anti-Bush political statement. Why Canada would fund political statements for display in the US, I can not say. In any case, the plan failed when the artist took the money and left the country without delivering the giant floating banana. Or anything resembling a giant floating banana. Not even a scale model. He did, however, submit at least one progress report on his giant floating banana research, and Canadian authorities have taken pains to point out that the grant of $147,000 doesn't actually require building a giant floating banana and flying it over Texas, it merely requires progress towards someday building a giant floating banana above Texas. Which the artist accomplished via one progress report. The Canadian taxpayer, they are happy to say, has brought mankind one step closer to developing the technology necessary to build a giant floating anti-war banana in geostationary orbit.

The artist's website is still up:http://www.geostationarybananaovertexas.com/en.html

Last edited by Tekka; 02-08-2010 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: The s in Texas got cut off. Needed to put it back in.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Possibly the strangest thread title I've seen. So this is Canadian government funded? Aren't you guys in a recession right now like the rest of the world?
Old 02-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Immediately assumed this was funded out of Quebec. Glad to see my suspicions confirmed.

Basically, the feds let Quebec throw money at whatever they want because politically, Quebec is like a hornets nest on your property. You can't use the gazebo anymore, and occasionally you'll get stung for no reason, but the easiest course of action is just to let them do what they want. Which leads me to believe other than perhaps some internal disciplinary measures within the province, this won't receive much attention, unfortunately.

Last edited by outsyder; 02-08-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Old 02-08-2010, 05:56 PM
If Quebec wants to waste their money, they can go for it. The province is a shithole besides Montreal and Quebec City.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I took some pills a little bit ago and you have no idea how much this thread is fucking with my head right now.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
I took some pills a little bit ago and you have no idea how much this thread is fucking with my head right now.
Can I make it worse?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Most awesome story ever, so awesome it even worked "absconds" into the title.

I love the idea that an artist was able to convince some board that a giant floating banana was an anti-Bush political statement, and they were all like "Yeah, that's deep. Here's mad money." I'm kinda happy for the artist, he had to be thinking the whole time "I can't believe this is working."

That the government official is arguing the artist fulfilled all of the criteria and basically it's not an issue makes it all the more absurd.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Thread title of the year.

I'm writing this after a tiring day. I had to read the title thread at least 3 times to make sure I wasn't being dumb.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekka View Post
Can I make it worse?

LOL so random.

Also, nothing says F you George Bush like a giant floating banana.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, not surprising this is out of Quebec though Newfoundland is right up there for something like this as well but they don't have that much disposable income.

Maybe this is why we leave them out of all of our country wide sweep stakes and contests all of the time.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Also disappointed to see that some of the amount was federal funding. Hope somebody's head rolls for this.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:19 AM
A giant floating banana.
$147,000 dollars to build it.
...WTF?
Old 02-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Old 02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
The Canadian Council of Arts does a lot of great things, and if it weren't for organizations like it would be almost impossible for serious artists to make a living.

That being said... whoever approved this grant is a serious fuck up and should be fired. It's quite upsetting really.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:07 PM
I plan to fly a giant plum over Canada. How much do they want for a progress report?
Old 02-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
A giant floating banana.
$147,000 dollars to build it.
...WTF?
No, no, not this group of geniuses, no, for their $147,000 they got a progress report, nothing else, no giant floating banana, not even a bunch of real bananas. The highly developed business acumen of these people lead them to spend one-hundred-and-forty-seven-THOUSAND dollars on one progress report.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Block View Post
No, no, not this group of geniuses, no, for their $147,000 they got a progress report, nothing else, no giant floating banana, not even a bunch of real bananas. The highly developed business acumen of these people lead them to spend one-hundred-and-forty-seven-THOUSAND dollars on one progress report.
....but the progress report was laminated, right?
Cause that would like make the difference of getting rooked or not.
Maybe put it in a nice binder.
With those plastic bendy covers.

By the way:

Is it just me or is that chick hot?
Or is it all of that sweeeet potassium?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Glad to see that fucking cesspool that called Quebec has money for important things like flying bananas and not basic needs like healthcare --- people in this province generally have to wait 20+ hours in the ER for treatment.

Sickening.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Clearly Quebec didn't get the succinct memo, RE: "Dont mess with Texas."