Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2008, 03:04 PM
I'm givin' you a partner!... the buddy cop movie thread

I was just re watching Rush Hour 3 the other day, and it got me all sentimental about buddy cop comedies and annoying police chiefs. So here we are with one that started the genre....

48 Hours (1982, Walter Hill)

Who's the dynamic duo? Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte.

Contrasting personalities? Eddie Murphy's the funny wisecracking half, while Nolte can't get enough of booze or cigarettes. Eddie Murphy is also a jailbird and not actually a cop, which some would argue puts this film's buddy cop status in jeopardy!

What scumbag are they bringing down? Billy from Predator, who escapes prison and starts a crime spree.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Yes he is. And he's a racist too.

Review: I don't actually remember enjoying this film all that much. Sure, it has some funny moments and some action scenes but none of them are as funny or spectacular as what we'd see in Lethal Weapon. None the less, a minor milestone.

Verdict: 7/10
Old 11-27-2008, 03:13 PM
The Corruptor (1999, James Foley)

Who's the dynamic duo? Mark Wahlberg and Chow Yun-Fat

Contrasting personalities? Not really. Chow's corrupt, Wahlberg isn't. Kind of boring.

What scumbag are they bringing down? The Triads in NYC Chinatown, yo.

Is the police chief all up their ass? No police chief, but there's an FBI/internal affairs guy (I don't remember which) who's all up Wahlberg's ass for not bringing down his partner.

Review: The thing about this film is it's all been done before, and done better. There's nothing in this cop thriller you haven't seen anywhere before. The only thing that sort of makes it stand out is the Chinatown setting, but backdrops don't make a film!

Verdict: 6/10
Old 11-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Lethal Weapon (1987, Richard Donner)

Who's the dynamic duo? Why, Mel Gibson and Danny Glover, of course.

Contrasting personalities? Riggs is a loose cannon cop with a death wish, Murtaugh a family man on the edge of retirement. This is the buddy cop combo to end all buddy cop combos.

What scumbag are they bringing down? A drug ring led by ex-special forces badass Gary Busey.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Yeah, played by Steve Kahan. You like the guy though.

Review: A fucking decent action movie, but I prefer the others in the series. None the less, you can't go wrong with Riggs and Murtaugh and Richard Donner gives us some cool action scenes.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989, Richard Donner)

Who's the dynamic duo? Motherfucking Riggs and Murtaugh!

Contrasting personalities? But of course. Although Riggs is more laid-back this time, at least until the final act

What scumbag are they bringing down? South African diplomats who have a sideline in drug smuggling.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Steve Kahan's back, but he's more of a team player than the other angry police chiefs. The Mayor is still breathing down his neck though...

Review: One of my favorite action movies of all time. This film has action (great fucking action, check out what happens to the stilted house at the end), comedy, great characters and one of my favorite one-liners, spoken by Glover at the end. You know what that sign says? Same as what it says here but I don't give a fuck!

Verdict: 9/10
Old 11-27-2008, 03:35 PM
City of God.

No, I'm fucking around. I like your threads Tony.

The Last Boy Scout, although Willis doesn't play a cop, he has the guy who yells at him, the partner who falls, and he's too old for that shit.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:00 PM
BubbaStrangelove, you're a good cop but you're THIS close to losing your badge!

Lethal Weapon 3 (1992, Richard Donner)

Who's the dynamic duo? MG + DG

Contrasting personalities?
Same as always.

What scumbag are they bringing down? A bent cop selling armour-piercing bullets.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Steve Kahan, and along with being one of the more loveable police chiefs he even gets in on the action in this one.

Review: This one I thought was just too goofy and that made it annoying. Joe Pesci is one thing, but when Riggs gets annoying you know the movie failed. Action scenes kind of standard-issue, nothing memorable here.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I laughed pretty hard at the thread title. Touche Tony.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Lethal Weapon 4 (1998, Richard Donner)

Who's the dynamic duo?Do we have to do this again?

Contrasting personalities? They're both gettin' too old for this shit.

What scumbag are they bringing down? The Triads.

Is the police chief all up their ass? He seems pretty laid back. Steve Kahan is the man.

Review: This one gets a lot of flack, but I'm not sure why. It's got the humour (Joe Pesci and Chris Rock's phone rant), the action (motorway chase, anyone?) and the bad guys (Jet Li can be one cold motherfucker). Sure there's no exploding toilets and South African accents sound cooler, but 4's at least as fun as 1 in my opinion.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:39 PM
Hot Fuzz (2007, Edgar Wright)

Who's the dynamic duo? Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.

Contrasting personalities? Oh yes. Pegg's an experienced, professional, dedicated big city cop. Frost is a country boy who's seen too many action flicks.

What scumbag are they bringing down? Ah that one's a surprise

Is the police chief all up their ass? This flick likes to turn genre conventions inside out and backwards, so no.

Review: While I don't find this film or Shaun of the Dead anywhere near as brilliant as everyone else, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the shit out of most of this film. It's slightly overrated, but it's a good genre parody and Pegg, Frost and Wright obviously know their movies. Cornetto?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:25 PM
Man I used to like this one when I was kid, not so much now...

Old 11-28-2008, 11:29 PM
*Waits for pretty much every Dirty Harry movie to be listed*

Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboom View Post

What...?

Why have I never heard of this?
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Turner and Hooch!
Old 11-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackboom View Post

Oh snap, I've got to see that!
Old 11-29-2008, 01:09 AM
My top 5 fave:

5. Hot Fuzz - Okay,let me just start off the top & say that movies whose main focus was on the whole "two different cops from different worlds co-existing" were never really were my bag. Now while Hot Fuzz's aim is obviously satire, it was wierd for me that the relationship between the two police officer's was by far the strength of this film, overwelming the humor ( which was its primary aim), even with the absurdy of the well intentioned over the top cartoonishly climatic ending. The relationship between the two major characters came off more believable than those featured in most other serious buddy cop movies.

4. Lethal Weapon - Pretty solid escapism buddy cop series, with probably the best sequels of this genre( at least, for what they were).

3. French Connection - What I liked about this movie is the fact that relationship between the two primary policemen was established way before the stories beginning. I guess, that technically that doesn't make this a real buddy cop movie, or even more specifically, a buddy cop comedy, but watching these two guys relate to each other as the deal with the main theme of the plot is enough for me to keep this on my list. Besides, it's such a good cop movie......

2. 48 Hours - This is the one started it all for me ( I didn't watch The French Connection until many years later). In my eyes, this set the standard for the story of how two completely different cops learning to work together was to be told. And yeah, I know that Eddie Murphy's character isn't a cop in this movie, but still.......

1. Rush Hour - Can you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth...?!
Old 11-29-2008, 05:32 AM

I always liked this movie . . . and I really don't know why. It's funny, it's got some pretty cool characters, and I like the dog partner. It's a good flick.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 AM
bigred, did you see Turner & Hooch? It came out around the same time as K-9. It's part of the Dog/Cop pairing trilogy, rounded out by Chuck Norris in Top Dog. Haha.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 AM
You guys are missing out on these gems:

Old 11-29-2008, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
bigred, did you see Turner & Hooch? It came out around the same time as K-9. It's part of the Dog/Cop pairing trilogy, rounded out by Chuck Norris in Top Dog. Haha.
I've seen it, and it's a good movie. Little more depressing though. Tone's a little different too I think . . . bit darker than K9.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:21 AM

Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Red Heat (1988, Walter Hill)

Who's the dynamic duo? Arnie and Belushi, a bizarre combination.

Contrasting personalities? Arnie is everything you'd expect from a Soviet-era cop. Tough and oppressive. Belushi is the Western 'comic support'.

What scumbag are they bringing down? Russian-Georgian mobsters and their Chicago-based partners.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Yes, yes, oh god yes. He has a 'partner' as well in Morpheus himself, Laurence Fishburne, who is also up their ass.

Review: To me, a native Russian speaker, this movie is a fucking laugh riot due to the absolutely terrible Russian (noone in Russia talks like that!) and ethnic stereotypes on display. From a more objective standpoint this isn't exactly Arnie's best work, and the story is pretty much a straightforward cop story with some notably-violent-but-otherwise-uninteresting shootouts. But there's still some enjoyment to be found in Arnie's Russian Dirty Harry rampaging around Chicago and the dated east-west jokes. So bad it's good.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Beverly Hills Cop (1984, Martin Brest)

Who's the dynamic duo? Actually this one's a trio. Eddie Murphy, Judge Reinhold and John Ashton up in this bitch.

What scumbag are they bringing down? A wealthy art dealer who doesn't deal exclusively in art.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Ronnie Cox is in charge in this one, and although he's strictly by-the-book, towards the end he becomes more of a Steve Kahan.

Review: An 80's action-comedy classic. Eddie Murphy at the top of his game (eg. still funny), a killer soundtrack, cool setting... and who doesn't love Reinhold and Ashton?

Verdict: 8/10
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Beverly Hills Cop II (1987, Tony Scott)

Who's the dynamic duo? It's still a threesome here between Eddie, Ashton and Reinhold.

What scumbag are they bringing down? A ruthless band of armed robbers.

Is the police chief all up their ass? He would be, but he's in the hospital for most of the film. So instead there's a new police chief on the block, and yes he's an asshole.

Review: This is a sort of "if you liked the first one you'll like this too" sort of movie. It's not as good as BHC1, but there's enough Foley, Rosewood and Taggart action to keep me entertained. Eddie Murphy is still funny.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:13 PM
My idea for a Star Wars television show was to see a bad buddy cop spin-off with Han and Chewie, played with an intergalactic re-mix of "Axel F". That would be totally pimp.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:50 PM
No mention of Midnight Run, which is probably the best buddy movie other than Lethal Weapon. Blasphemy!

Stakeout with Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez is great too.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
No mention of Midnight Run, which is probably the best buddy movie other than Lethal Weapon. Blasphemy!

Stakeout with Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez is great too.

I think this is just cop/cop pairings, hence no love for The Last Boy Scout.

Another movie that came to mind, and I"m pretty sure no one else here has seen it - but 1988's Peter Weller, Sam Elliot pairing in Shakedown (aka Bluejean Cop)....

Great flick, though technically it is a DA and a cop...
Old 11-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Riggs and Murtaugh were the best.

I also thought Die Hard was a great buddy-cop film, especially at the end where Al pulled his weight and saved his pal's life. Al and "Roy". Powell and McClane.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemovies View Post
If that's blasphemy I guess I just shot the pope, cos I hadn't even heard of that film. Its now on my film-to-see list.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizou View Post
If that's blasphemy I guess I just shot the pope, cos I hadn't even heard of that film. Its now on my film-to-see list.
I would get on that immediately; Grodin and DeNiro are hysterical together, and it was a lot edgier than a lot of the films of the time.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Oops. It's even in the title. How stupid of me!

And do check Midnight Run out Zizou. It's great.

Another great cop duo is Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce in L.A. Confidential.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
Another movie that came to mind, and I"m pretty sure no one else here has seen it - but 1988's Peter Weller, Sam Elliot pairing in Shakedown (aka Bluejean Cop)....
Oh I've seen it...

"Do you want to drive, or shoot?"

Fun, if very dated take on the genre. And the hilariously ridiculous finale with Sam Elliot hanging off the airplane, then shooting the landing gear, causing it to almost crash into the World Trade Center... that's just icing on the cake.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:21 AM

While I didn't love the movies, I thought the characters Smith and Lawrence played were great. They had great chemistry, comedic timing, and they pulled off the action pretty well too.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Bad Boys (1995, Michael Bay)

Who's the dynamic duo? Will Smith and Martin Lawrence, just how it says on the poster.

Contrasting personalities? Will Smith's a pretty laid back, smooth mofo while Lawrence is the family man.

What scumbag are they bringing down? A French drug lord trying to kill their witness!

Is the police chief all up their ass? Joe Pantoliano gets some great lines.

Review: I actually haven't seen this for a while, but I do remember it having some good moments and being better than the second one. Tchéky Karyo is brilliant as always. Smith and Lawrence aren't the best pairing in buddy cop cinema, but they aren't all bad either.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM
Bad Boys 2 (2003, Michael Bay)

Who's the dynamic duo? Smith and Lawrence.

Contrasting personalities? Same as the previous one, with the added twist Smith's banging Lawrence's sister.

What scumbag are they bringing down? A Cuban drug lord attempting to flood Miami with ecstasy along with his buddies in the KKK, Russian mafia and Haitian gangbangers.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Joe's back. He screams a lot but in a way he's kind of like a less laid-back Steve Kahan.

Review: I thought I'd really enjoy this film, but I didn't. How this much shit can explode and practically make downtown Miami into downtown Baghdad and yet still be boring is beyond my comprehension. I like brainless, over-the-top action flicks (see Crank) but this movie was lacking the magic. None the less, there is a classic moment when Lawrence interrogates his daughter's first date.

Verdict: 5/10
Old 12-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Black Rain (1989, Ridley Scott)

Who's the dynamic duo? Michael Douglas, but he switches partners some-way through the film. First it's Andy Garcia, then Ken Takakura takes over.

Contrasting personalities? Douglas is your textbook, common-or-garden cop on the edge. He drinks, he brutalises suspects, he's under investigation by Internal Affairs, you name it. Andy Garcia is suave as always. Ken Takakura is an uptight dick but learns to break the rules... the American way!

What scumbag are they bringing down? A psychotic Yakuza mobster and his counterfeiting scheme.

Is the police chief all up their ass? Not only is the American police chief constantly suspending Douglas, but once he gets to Japan they won't leave him alone there either. Can't a loose cannon cop get a break?!

Review: I sat down watching this film not knowing what to expect. Something like The Last Samurai perhaps, but more 80's. And it was, but a lot more 80's. This film makes Scarface look like it was made last year. The synthesizer score, the xenophobia, Michael Douglas' mullet! If it sounds cheesily enjoyable, to a certain degree it is, but my feelings are the whole film is just one cop, buddy-cop or 80's cheese cliche after another. Watch with caution.

Verdict: 5/10
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Hard Boiled (1992, John Woo)

Who's the dynamic duo? Hong Kong's finest: Tony Leung and Chow Yun-Fat!

Contrasting personalities? John Woo's films are more about how two tough guys are similiar rather than different (see The Killer). None the less, Tony's deep undercover work is taking it's toll on him, while Tequila (Chow Yun-Fat) is more of the happy-go-lucky Riggs type.

What scumbag are they running down? A ruthless Triad crew.

Is the police chief all up their ass? He is to Chow's character, but only because he's protecting Tony

Review: This is simply put one of the greatest action movies ever. Think the lobby shootout in the Matrix, and multiply the level of awesome by 100 (not saying Matrix is a bad film, just saying Hard Boiled got their first). Who cares if Tony Leung takes a superhuman level of injury throughout the film, or that shooting two guns at once in real life makes you wildly innaccurate?! It's an action movie, and possibly the purest of it's kind since I dunno... Die Hard?

Verdict: 10/10

Last edited by Tony_Montana; 12-02-2008 at 09:13 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM
I just thought of another. Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen were a great duo IMO in the great big guilty pleasure of a movie The Rookie.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 AM
why hasn't anyone mentioned this or did i miss it

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM

Haha Tango & Cash. What a classic.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh wait... Cosmic already mentioned The Hard Way.