Old 02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Shamu the killer whale kills trainer

Talk about a horrible way to die. Can't say I'm surprised though. You take a highly intelligent apex predator called a Killer Whale, confine it, "train" it and when it goes postal people are surprised when it kills a trainer for THE THIRD TIME.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,587368,00.html
Killer Whale Eats Eskimo

Old 02-24-2010, 10:39 PM
3!? The OJ Simpson of celebrity animals.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Hard to say your not asking for it. It seems like letting a murderer out of a prison cell to do magic tricks but then you get shocked and surprised when he really does saw someone in half.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I hate to say it, but I think the whole story that Seaworld is providing is pretty much bullshit. "oh she was walking, and then she slipped and fell then got killed by the whale."
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 PM
I haven't read the story, but am I the only one content imagining the trainer slipping and Shamu sweeping up, South Park clip-art animation-style, and like swallowing the trainer in one movement, accompanied by a sound effect "GULP!"
Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
I haven't read the story, but am I the only one content imagining the trainer slipping and Shamu sweeping up, South Park clip-art animation-style, and like swallowing the trainer in one movement, accompanied by a sound effect "GULP!"
Where's Japan when you need them? oh yeah they are busy recalling their shitty cars.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:10 AM
It's a whale. Stuff like this is bound to happen. You can't tame wild animals.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:34 AM
Well that's literal.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 AM
I've read a few eye witness reports, pretty bad. Apparently the whale just jumped up and snatched the trainer off poolside. A Brazilian couple said how they saw the whale swimming about with the trainer in it's mouth by the waist from an underwater observation point. That's gonna scar a few kids.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 AM
It was Tilikum rather than Shamu by the way, Shamu is an angel.

Its tragic news to hear though...
Old 02-25-2010, 10:22 AM
This is why people should only train whales with a cute name.

Like "Fluffy Pillow Whales" or some shit.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Is Shamu even still alive?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesaker View Post
Is Shamu even still alive?
In the smile of every child, yes. Literally? No.

Seaworld are scum. Fucking vermin.

I spent a summer in Tenerife, tracking dolphins and Pilot whales and the abuse of these creatures for 'entertainment' was shocking.

I feel pity for the victim, but I cannot bring myself to feel sympathy.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM
Killer whale? More like murder whale!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Not really surprised. Like any animal held in captivity, eventually they will snap. Imagine being locked in a house for your entire adult life: this is the life of most captive animals. This is why I hate going to zoos; they are basically prison cells for creatures that should be out in the wild living the lives they should.

More respect needs to be given to these animals. Killer Whales aren't on this earth for out amusement, and neither are any wild animal.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:30 PM
As Natty said, it was Tilikum that went to munching, not Shamu... or Shamu the XI or whatever generation we are at now.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I was reading about this earlier today, and in an article on CNN they had a marine biologist saying how the whale was probably just playing with the trainer. In the same way that orcas play with seals and sea lions by throwing them up in the air in the wild, and then ALWAYS let them go without eating them. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? That has to be the stupidest statement by a fucking marine biologist I've ever heard in my life. Yes, it is true that the orcas will throw their food up into the air in a playful like manner, but they WILL eat them. Why would a whale go through the trouble of catching a seal or sea lion to just throw it around and not eat it? I just got pissed by reading such a blatant incorrect statement by a reported marine biologist. Just had to get that rant over with.

And fix the title of this thread please, it wasn't Shamu.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah I saw this story on Fox News and no joke, the first commerical after the tragic story was the PacificLife commerical (the one where the whale is floppin around out at sea)
Whoever is in charge of the running the commericals must have a sick sense of humor lol.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
I was reading about this earlier today, and in an article on CNN they had a marine biologist saying how the whale was probably just playing with the trainer. In the same way that orcas play with seals and sea lions by throwing them up in the air in the wild, and then ALWAYS let them go without eating them. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? That has to be the stupidest statement by a fucking marine biologist I've ever heard in my life. Yes, it is true that the orcas will throw their food up into the air in a playful like manner, but they WILL eat them. Why would a whale go through the trouble of catching a seal or sea lion to just throw it around and not eat it? I just got pissed by reading such a blatant incorrect statement by a reported marine biologist. Just had to get that rant over with.

You have to remember, these are the same people that have to come up with an excuse as for why sharks attack people from time to time. Mistaken identity, blah blah blah. What's wrong with an animal being an animal and just doing what instinct tells it to do? No reason to make excuses for it.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:43 PM
It's a pretty messed up story. I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this happened. Although I do think the whale was probably just trying to play. I mean, that's basically what they do all day (training), and a whale doesn't know that it is a thousand times stronger and that humans a really fragile. I liken it to the tiger "attack" on Sigfried & Roy - I don't think it meant to kill.

Anyway, I did find it funny on the news when they said they "evacuated" the park. That makes it sound like the whale was on the loose and could go after anyone inside the park.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:56 PM
This is why I stay away from the Ocean. Marine wildlife is either trying to kill you, or fuck you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj5Q3HfGfbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuJJBibGWM
Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reigh Kaufman View Post
In the smile of every child, yes. Literally? No.

Seaworld are scum. Fucking vermin.

I spent a summer in Tenerife, tracking dolphins and Pilot whales and the abuse of these creatures for 'entertainment' was shocking.

I feel pity for the victim, but I cannot bring myself to feel sympathy.
Same. I admit, my sources are by no means large, but in some cases it's a sad given that animals at amusement parks can be subjected to negligent treatment. I am an animal lover, so there is my bias right there, but these people really should have taken into consideration the temperment of a killer whale- they aren't dolphins, they aren't seals, they aren't cute little fairy penguins. What is their nickname? The 'Wolves of the Ocean' or something along those lines. They're called 'Killer Whales' for damn good reason. Just like all wild animals, no matter how much you try to tame them, they will always be unpredictable.

Last edited by Tagia_Romero; 02-25-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Old 02-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbird View Post

Anyway, I did find it funny on the news when they said they "evacuated" the park. That makes it sound like the whale was on the loose and could go after anyone inside the park.
Haha, yeah, that made me larf too. Next thing you know it grabbed a chainsaw and hopped around the park on it's tail doing a Patrick Bateman impression.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post

They absolutely do NOT always let them go, but they do often play with seals. This usually indicates that the whale is training younger whales to hunt, but it has also been noted with adults in the wild and seems to be a regressive behaviour (i.e. the whale is simply reenacting learned behaviour - for fun). The seals are later released unharmed.

I've never studied the Orca in the wild- just the Pilot whale - but I did live with a marine biologist for two years, which is how I ended up in Tenerife in the summer of 2000.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Yeah I saw this story on Fox News and no joke, the first commerical after the tragic story was the PacificLife commerical (the one where the whale is floppin around out at sea)
Whoever is in charge of the running the commericals must have a sick sense of humor lol.

I'm sorry, but I did let out a chuckle at this. Insult to injury, sure, but you gotta admit it's mildly funny.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm failing to grasp how people can be so upset about this. It's a KILLER whale. It's right there in the name. If it were named "gentle, docile whale" and then killed someone, then I'd be upset. All it did was live up to its name. Plus, you know, its a WILD animal living in CONTAINMENT.

How am I the only one seeing this?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson13 View Post
I'm failing to grasp how people can be so upset about this. It's a KILLER whale. It's right there in the name. If it were named "gentle, docile whale" and then killed someone, then I'd be upset. All it did was live up to its name. Plus, you know, its a WILD animal living in CONTAINMENT.

How am I the only one seeing this?
Did you read the whole thread? Because I said basically the same thing.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM
So long and thanks for all the human flesh! *whale flies into outerspace*
Old 02-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal_83 View Post
Did you read the whole thread? Because I said basically the same thing.
Seconded...
Old 02-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Hard to say your not asking for it. It seems like letting a murderer out of a prison cell to do magic tricks but then you get shocked and surprised when he really does saw someone in half.
Thirded

Quote:
I guess it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
Fourth...ded?

Quote:
They're called 'Killer Whales' for damn good reason. Just like all wild animals, no matter how much you try to tame them, they will always be unpredictable.
Fifth-ded-whatever

It's unanimous!
Although imo wild animals can be trained and tamed. We have the brain advantage and we do have a great understanding of their behaviors and instincts. It's very disrespectful to do so in these public attraction events, and I will have everyone know that I've been to the zoo only once in my life, as a child, because my mother said when she took me we all started crying and never wanted to go again. But the reason these accidents still make headlines is because they are the exceptions, not the rules. All over the world wild animals are trained and tamed because humanity has that ability imo, and the vast majority of the time they don't get the "better" of us in this way.
I don't support it, but I recognize it.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:14 PM
Quote:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Now Hollywood will remake Orca the Killer Whale and it will be on 3D like Jaws 3D.
Old 02-25-2010, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
This is why I stay away from the Ocean. Marine wildlife is either trying to kill you, or fuck you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj5Q3HfGfbU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COuJJBibGWM
the King of The Hill episode with Hank getting raped by a Dolphin came to mind when I watched those videos.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
Seconded...

Well.....you know....

Look! Bundt cake!

*leaves*
Old 02-26-2010, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar View Post
So long and thanks for all the human flesh! *xypod flies into outerspace*
fixded

I love Bundt cake! Where?
Old 02-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Old 02-26-2010, 06:48 PM
From what I've read, this whale's role in the second death seems dubious. It sounds like some guy just got drunk and broke into Sea World, fell in the tank, and got bitten by the startled orca.

Of course what happened to the trainer is horrible, and I don't understand why a lot of the immediate reaction I've heard seems to be against her, but there is nothing particularly evil-sounding about this animal. The trainers at Sea World will probably continue working with him because he's only a whale and it isn't the first time he's killed somebody.