Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 AM
I'm everyone and no one. Everywhere, nowhere. Call me... Darkman

I recently had the pleasure of showing Darkman to my neighbor who had never seen the film. It was nice to be reminded why I love this film. It's probably my favorite comic book film and it's not even based on one. I enjoy everything about it, from it's frantic pace, crazy dissolves and overlapping imagery to the performances which can be over the top in the best way possible.

One of my favorite sequences is when Darkman impersonates Pauly and sets him up as the fall guy. I always burst out laughing when Pauly is woken up by Durant and the crew.

I swear to God, Mr. Durant, I never made the pickup! I don't even know how I got dressed!

I also love the way the actor Nicolas Worth plays Pauly as Darkman pretending to be his character. I love that last bit when he gives that creepy smile to the lady at the bus stop. It's just perfect. It totally sells the idea of Darkman being able to impersonate people.

I still think this is Sam Raimi's masterpiece. I'm sure others will disagree with that, but who else enjoys this classic underrated movie?
Old 03-11-2010, 05:14 AM
I agree that it's probably Raimi's best movie, although I loved The Gift and A Simple Plan nearly as much.

It's still one of my favorite roles of Liam Neeson. He's so fucking awesome in this movie!

Great style, great action, great cast. I love the scene where they are chasing after Darkman and he's hanging by the helicopter. It's such a great action scene.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM
My favorite part is the very first scene with the wooden leg machine gun. I used to watch this movie over and over as a kid and I still love it, such a fun movie.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 AM
I remember being mesmerized by this movie when i was a kid. When Durant starts cutting off that mob bosses fingers and him fucking up that carnies hand were brutal **shiver**

This was the first movie i ever saw with Liam Neeson and have loved his acting ever since. It's also one of the only films that i've seen with Frances McDormand and thought she was attractive, lol.

Love the way Ted Raimi's character bobs around like a toy in the man hole before getting splatted by the garbage truck.

Heh, this movie actually cause one of my stupid kid moments in my life. After watching the scene with Darkman posing as Durant and the holding of the flame under his hand and seeing the look on the Asian guys faces i thought "that doesn't look so bad, what are they so scared of?" So yeah i tried it myself and screamed like a little bitch after probably not even a second of that flame on my hand, LOL.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Darkman.....so full of awesome. Way better than Spider-man. The first one, at least.

I saw it when I was about 10 or so then last summer I found it at a used DVD store for 3.99, figured I should revisit it, the price was right. Still a great super hero flick. They really could've said "Based on the Darkman series of comics" in the opening credits and I probably would have believed it, that's how well fleshed out it is.

Now, here's what I'm wondering since I haven't had the nerve to watch them...but are the sequels any good? I know they have Arnold Vosloo in the role of Darkman instead of Liam Neison, so that turned me off a bit. Are they worth checking out?
Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
It's been a while since I've seen it, but do remember enjoying the hell out of it. Got turned off by the sequels though.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I wrote off the sequels when I saw that the second one was about the Return of Durant! I know the movie is influenced by superhero logic, but how the fuck could they say that Durant merely fell into a coma from a helicopter crash that turned it into a ball of fire?! I remember watching the second one when I was very young but it didn't compare with the first film. Part of what makes it so great is Raimi's hyperkinetic style. The sequel lacked that. I didn't even bother with the third one.

There is only one Darkman film in my eyes.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I also really enjoyed the original, but the sequels were crap.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:28 PM
I really enjoy the first one, however I wouldn't say it was Raimi's best (and honour that I'd split between either Evil Dead II or Spidey II....something about the II's).

It is decent though, and you can clearly see Spider-Man sitting within it somewhere. I watched the two sequels as I'm a sucker for a franchise, they were a bit crap in fairness but it's a shame, it could've made a nice new cinematic superhero series.

(or even possibly a buffy-like TV series)
Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
It's been a long time since I saw it, but I really enjoyed it. I picked up the DVD at Big Lots for $3 not too long ago. I really need to watch that sometime.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Saw this when it was first released...then dressed up as Darkman that Halloween. I miss being a kid sometimes

Watched it again not too long ago, still holds up well. While I wouldn't say it's Liam's best performance (he tends to go a little overboard in some scenes) it still fits the tone of the movie perfectly.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:45 PM
Recently rewatched this one myself. Raimi stuff all the way. Very fun and entertaining as well
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Definitely my favorite Raimi film as well. Cheesy, yet gritty. Original concept, while cleverly homaging classic heroes and pulp characters. I adore it.

Also, I have managed to avoid see the sequels as I pretty much assumed they'd be shit, but I must admit that the title Die, Darkman, Die! is pretty badass....
Old 03-12-2010, 12:09 AM
In all agreement. Such a fun film with a great energy to it. It's campy with the direction, acting and sets (Check out the Frankenstein-ish lab early in the film). It also works together as a tribute to classic superheroes and classic flawed heroes and villains (Such as The Invisible Man or The Phantom of The Opera). It just works all together so damn well, to take the style and sensibilities he crafted from The Evil Dead I & II and carry it over to Darkman.

I think there was a previous thread about Darkman and it brought the idea of how Darkman worked as a precursor/training/warm-up to Raimi's Spider-Man series and it makes sense when you see this film.

Never checked any sequels.

Anyone else wish Raimi and Neeson would return to make another TRUE Darkman sequel? I'd be up to see that shit so fast...

Last edited by drc5145; 03-12-2010 at 12:18 AM..
Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc5145 View Post
Anyone else wish Raimi and Neeson would return to make another TRUE Darkman sequel? I'd be up to see that shit so fast...
I was actually discussing this with my friend. I think it could be a good idea. Neeson showed that he could still make a dent at the box office with last year's Taken. Raimi had a hit with Drag Me to Hell which was a non-franchise movie. I could see people actually being interested in a direct sequel to Darkman if Neeson and Raimi were on board.

The story would have to be pretty good though. I wouldn't want to retread the story of the original. It should really be as if Darkman has been stalking the criminal underworld for years and has become a criminal folktale.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:27 AM
I figured I'd post here since this is a fairly young thread:

DARKMAN is coming to blu-ray on June 15th!
Unfortunately, news for now is that the only supplements will be MyScenes.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...l_Blu-ray/4403