Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Seriously, why the fuck would you buy bottled water?

Water, the most abundant source on the planet. Most people with homes have ample access to water at low cost, some (like me which my house gets it from the well) get it for free. But no, free shit is just too convenient. I'm going to spend a $1.50 to for bottled water when I can save that + gas money by staying at home and drinking it from a faucet. For the record, the water I get from my refrigerator's water/ice dispenser for FREE is colder, cleaner, and more refreshing than any water I've ever bought from a store.

Anyways, there's a short 8 minute documentary on YouTube titled The Story of Bottled Water, and you can read the director's blog on Huffington Post at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/annie-..._b_507942.html
Old 03-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxManShoes View Post
Water, the most abundant source on the planet. Most people with homes have ample access to water at low cost
After these opening sentences, the rest of the post was never going to recover any credibility.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Well, you can't get fizzy water like Champagne out of the faucet. I'm a sucker for it as it's a good soda replacement. It even comes in what looks like wine bottles.

Can't get Fiji out of the faucet either. And I love Fiji water.

Some bottled water is very good; some terrible. Some common tap water (Nestle came under fire for this), some spring water, some even rain water.... Just depends. Back in the '96-'98 we had well water and couldn't use it.

Now we use water out of the faucet, but we have a Brita. We still buy water mostly for fizzy and taste as well.

The overuse of bottled water leads to pollution and massive garbage issues. This isn't news to anyone. However, I'm probably just as guilty.

There are a variety of reasons one might decide on bottled water.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Because it's in a bottle. Which you can pick up and take with you. To places away from your house.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I buy bottled water because I find that tap water, even when filtered or boiled, gives me a sore throat. Not sure exactly what it is, but it's as if I'm allergic to something in the pipe system. Not just in one place, either, I've found everywhere I go I have this problem. Water fountains tend to have the same effect.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Well I guess it turns out I'm an idiot and I also suck dick.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Quote:
...I also suck dick.
How you doin'?
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm probably the most active walkaround guy on this thread, and I have never once needed to buy bottled water. You can go anywhere for any amount of time and still not buy water. On the other hand, I love to buy bottled air. It's cleaner, fresher, and I hear it comes from lush forest air because there's a picture of a forest on the bottle itself! People like me buy it if they have too much money and need everything packaged.

Quote:
After these opening sentences, the rest of the post was never going to recover any credibility.
Well he never said drinkable water.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Console bashing, now bottled water bashing...how old are you BoxManShoes?
Old 03-22-2010, 02:17 PM
I only drink Kabbalah water (which is most likely just water out of some dude's sink).
Old 03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vong View Post
Console bashing, now bottled water bashing...how old are you BoxManShoes?
I dare to think what he will bash next.....trees???
Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
I dare to think what he will bash next.....trees???
Whats the deal with trees anyways??? Those fuckers are boring as hell. All they do is just stand there all day with nothing to say. Fuck them all! Why cant they talk and walk around like the ones in the Lord of the Rings??

Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Need a thread titled "what's the deal...??.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Cause my tap water usually tastes like shit.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Yeah, not only is water from a faucet free, it has mercury, lead, phosphorous, is potentially septic if taken from a well, and the list goes on and on. So when you buy bottled water, you're actually paying to get less! Score one for saving chump change!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
As soon as I saw the thread title in the forum index I knew it was a BoxManShoes thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
On the other hand, I love to buy bottled air. It's cleaner, fresher, and I hear it comes from lush forest air because there's a picture of a forest on the bottle itself! People like me buy it if they have too much money and need everything packaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
Yeah, not only is water from a faucet free, it has mercury, lead, phosphorous, is potentially septic if taken from a well, and the list goes on and on. So when you buy bottled water, you're actually paying to get less! Score one for saving chump change!
^Haha.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Quote:
Well I guess it turns out I'm an idiot and I also suck dick.
Glad to see you're self aware?
Old 03-22-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote:

Yeah but the quantity of those things... It's not dangerous. There have been accidents in the water supplies throughout America, but it's not actually dangerous for our bodies and as far as I know (throw a stone) it doesn't really accumulate into any meaningful damage, pound for pound. Errr. Glass for glass.
I demand a debate!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Legend View Post
How you doin'?

Haa!!

I'm from a town that has some of the best spring water in the United States, and there's not another city I've been to that compares. City water, especially big cities, have the shittiest tasting water. Trust me I can taste the difference.

That said you can still get used to drinking nasty water if you drink it long enough.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM
^I figure there are a few variables to make the difference (putting aside outright accidents). As with clean air, if you're in the middle of a city the air is shitty and there are toxins and chemicals allover. It's not going to kill you, and while it's unhealthy it's not really anything to bother yourself over unless the sky is yellow and the rain burns.

Generally, would the concern over the purity of our drinking water be categorized under the same thing, more or less, or can't this subject be generalized with my vagueness? Inquiring minds must know!
Old 03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Yeah but the quantity of those things... It's not dangerous. There have been accidents in the water supplies throughout America, but it's not actually dangerous for our bodies and as far as I know (throw a stone) it doesn't really accumulate into any meaningful damage, pound for pound. Errr. Glass for glass.
I demand a debate!
That's not true everywhere.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah but

Quote:
As with clean air, if you're in the middle of a city the air is shitty and there are toxins and chemicals allover. It's not going to kill you, and while it's unhealthy it's not really anything to bother yourself over
That's not true everywhere.
So I'm not sure pointing this out^ should mean much of anything to anyone anywhere but in Exception Number 1 where the water supply had an accident and got contaminated and advised people to drink bottled for the months it took to clean into suitable drinking water. Isn't this whole thing just a worrywart penny wise pound foolish fad like detoxing? Bottled water isn't much healthier and won't positively affect you in any noticeable way, right? I'm headstrong to a point, but maybe there are schmoes sitting on information I don't have. As far as I know (throw another, heavier stone), natural healthy bodies can handle and process these things, these contaminants, which won't cause you any noticeable damage to actually show up in your active lifetime.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:16 PM
I live on the third floor of a town house. So it is more convenient for me to have bottled water in my room. Yes, I do have a sink in my bathroom. However I do have a mini fridge in my room where I like to store bottled water. My personal preference is to have chilled water as opposed to "cool" water that comes out of the faucet. My mini fridge doesn't have an ice maker otherwise I would just get my water from my bathroom sink. Also, I have a hydration disorder which causes me to wake up in the middle of a night a few times a night and drink at least a glass of water. I consume twice as much water than any of my friends and my doctor has informed me that it is important that I have at least 8 cups of water a day, and more if I do any physical activities involving sweating. So, ultimately could I survive on my bathroom sink as a water supply? Yes. But bottled water has made it much more convenient for me.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
First of all, your 1.50 per bottle of water is a gross over exaggeration. It's something around 4 or 5 dollars for 24 bottles of water which is about the same price as soda (omg why buy soda when you can drink tap water?!) I would also rather drink bottled water when I am on the run somewhere than germ infested water fountains at malls where little kids give the damn thing blow jays just to get a sip of water. Also, it's great that you have the luxury of clean good tasting water that comes out of your sink, but lots of rural areas have terrible quality tap water if not none at all.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:00 PM
While I do like the convenience of bottled water, I'm golden with my water filter attached to the sink.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Ozarka is the shit! When i run my tap it seems like there are little pieces of toilet paper floating around in it.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 PM
Couldn't you just buy a thermos and use that as your portable carrier of water instead of buying it packaged?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Couldn't you just buy a thermos and use that as your portable carrier of water instead of buying it packaged?
The problem with that is once your done drinking you have to lug it around wherever you are for however long you are there.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Well I concede. I was horribly wrong.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 AM
When I was little we were so poor on hot days we were lucky to happen upon a leaking fire hydrant. That would be our drink for the day, so we'd have to drink as much as humanly possible and be happy with it until we got home. Not many people have the options of choosing between bottled, tap, or clean water. Some of us living in these shitty neighborhoods just have to take what we can get. That's a sad fact of life.

I mean no disrespect intended, but that's why vegetarians and vegans piss me off. "Ew, it's meat I won't eat it." When I was a kid it was either eating or not eating. You had to eat whatever came to you or you went to bed on an empty stomach. Some people in other countries don't have the option of having meat and vegetables, or only vegetables. A lot of kids only eat rice and have to live on that for a month.

Last edited by Terminal_83; 03-23-2010 at 01:08 AM..
Old 03-23-2010, 01:09 AM
I buy them bc of Cabin Fever?
i kno lame
Old 03-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Quote:
I demand a debate!

No, you're probably not going to fall over after drinking it. Of course, I don't know how little metal you can have in your body before it's safe or how much before it's detrimental.

My grandparents lived a stone's throw from the Ohio River. We had to wash the tub after every bath because the tub would turn red from iron. Mmmmmm. Tastes shitty, more filling.

Something I've always been aware of, but don't think about. Your body also absorbs this stuff in showers. Take hot showers, open your pores up, let more in. I'd always wondered about this, and recently found out they sell filters for showers because of this. Too rich for my blood.

Of course, you aren't going to fall over. No, not at all. At the same time, what's the rate of metabolism for lead and mercury? Not very promising that in 30 years you start to wonder exactly what the relationship between Alzheimer's and heavy metal toxicity.

For the record, I use a Brita filter at home, and use that to fill up a couple 64oz cups that I take to work. One with half ice, half water. The other full of ice. I generally only buy bottles by the case, but limit my use of them because of the post consumer waste they create.

And yes, you would be correct: when I shit, it doesn't stink.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 AM
I'm not supposed to drink the tap water here.
That's why I buy bottled water. So I don't get really sick.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Because it tastes like chicken, duh.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:37 AM
Quote:
Water, the most abundant source on the planet. Most people with homes have ample access to water at low cost, some (like me which my house gets it from the well) get it for free. But no, free shit is just too convenient. I'm going to spend a $1.50 to for bottled water when I can save that + gas money by staying at home and drinking it from a faucet. For the record, the water I get from my refrigerator's water/ice dispenser for FREE is colder, cleaner, and more refreshing than any water I've ever bought from a store.

Anyways, there's a short 8 minute documentary on YouTube titled The Story of Bottled Water, and you can read the director's blog on Huffington Post at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/annie-..._b_507942.html
Since I was old enough to walk, I've drank tap water.
I lived in the South Bronx where water came in three varieties:

White foam = drinkable in a pinch, boil if needed

Grey ghost = boil before drinking, if any "ghostly" shapes are left in the water, immediately get rid of it and try again

Brown chocolate = unless you want to develop sores in your stomach lining, walk away from this water.

When I moved to Jersey and started drinking Jersey water (Teaneck, Rutherford, Newark), I noticed my stomach "troubles" (don't want to gross anyone out) went from "nuisance" to "outright intestine gouging pain" as I drank a lot of that tap water.

I was directed to try bottled water, which I balked at at first like you, but after switching, I don't experience the same "troubles" and feel significantly better since doing so.

YES it is a pain in the ass to pay for water.
YES it is an equal pain in the ass to transport the amount of water I ingest.
YES I know some bottled water CAN BE as bad as tap water but I buy premium brands and haven't had a problem.

For me, it works (.99 cents a bottle) and I would NEVER go back to the tap.
Unless the apocalypse comes and I'm left with little choice.
Might try and hit a Costco's before I try the tap though, shotgun in hand...
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I drink tap water...but i know itīs probably going to kill me in the long run since I donīt know what chemicals is in the water these days.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:15 PM
If your tap water is toxic (which appears to be the case with some here), then it is pretty justifiable - but you've got much larger problems going on if your tap water isn't drinkable.

Other than that, I've always been baffled by it. When I was at KU a few years ago, Coke had just put a whole bunch of new pop machines all over the place, and they were almost always side by side with a machine that was completely full of just Dasani. And you wouldn't believe how much bottled water I saw around campus. More than any other drink combined. It's just a huge waste of money to me.

There are exactly two times that I have bought a bottled water: Once, I was helping someone move and didn't have access to anything, so I bought the cheapest bottle I could get from Quick Trip. The other time was at a Chiefs game and it was really hot and I didn't want any pop.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:31 PM
A healthy body should be able to handle tap in most areas. I don't live back east, in the middle of the heavy industry... I've always lived in the wide open states in the wide open areas, but I did just recently move into Arizona from Colorado and I can taste a difference in the tap from the mountain cities like Flagstaff and the deserts like Phoenix. I can even tell the difference in these small remote cities in the north west border like Bullhead City (where the tap is surprisingly a lot better than Phoenix). The presumption is that a healthy body can handle these contaminants. The presumption is that a healthy body can handle air pollutant in the majority of areas in America and beyond. That a certain district or a certain area of housing might have alert-worthy levels of pollution in the air or contamination in the water doesn't impact the should-be would-be consensus.
BubbaStrangelove made a passing suggestion to the relationship between, say, Alzheimer's and heavy metal toxicity, as if that contamination is even remotely top listed among a likely dozen-or-so more important factors that lead to, or ultimately prevent, early Alzheimer's. In all likelihood it makes little difference and makes only the most marginal contribution, which would itself be dependent on other health-related factors.

Bodies weren't made to be immortal, right? A healthy body can sustain certain poisons for our limited period of activity and life span. Raising question over the cleanliness of tap in most developed countries is like pointing out that you're going to develop cancer when you're 140 years old. These poisons are so minimal in a healthy system and their adverse effects shouldn't be felt or worried over in our lifetime. That's my impression. And I'm repeating it so much because if I'm wrong, best I know sooner rather than "it seems you've digested too much fecal matter in the tap" later. I'm opened to corrections.

Last edited by Shinigami; 03-23-2010 at 01:34 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
BubbaStrangelove made a passing suggestion to the relationship between, say, Alzheimer's and heavy metal toxicity, as if that contamination is even remotely top listed among a likely dozen-or-so more important factors that lead to, or ultimately prevent, early Alzheimer's. In all likelihood it makes little difference and makes only the most marginal contribution, which would itself be dependent on other health-related factors.

You misconstrued me saying that I would rather not worry about something like that if it means spending what I see as "chump change." Alzheimer's is one of literally hundreds of conditions that you can correlate with metal being FILTERED by your kidneys. My point is that I know how the human body works, and I'd rather not weave through those roads of wondering if it means the alternative is wondering why people buy water. I'm only touching on the metals that are in water, and also pointed out that I don't exactly know if too little is ever too little. I could happily go into the other stuff in water. Metal is just one thing that's in there. Your body has some iron in it already, so obviously that's not so bad, but lets remember that you can be hospitalized from Vitamin C toxicity. M'kay?

I do find it interesting that people don't balk at paying money for soda or other sugary drinks, but, apparently if you like to drink water, you're some sort of rube. You guys are aware that Kool-Aid and coffee are a lot cheaper than soda-pop. Right?

This could literally go on and on, but water is actually good for you. It cracks me up that people become argumentative and verbally vigilant against something that you body needs. It's also good timing that the UN just released a report that bad water kills more people than war. Of course, that only happens to poor countries, so obviously people in Alabama have nothing to worry about.

Your water is good, and you like to drink it from the tap. That's great. Sometimes they do water sprinkler tests in my building and the water turns brown for most of the day. The line of thinking that many people here seem to be promote is that saving the cost of a can of soda pop is worth taking a chance that the water will come bad. There is also the implication that if you are going to spend money on drinks, you might as well do it with something that's canned and made with the wisdom of mountain men.

I don't even particularly drink filtered water because of anything other than taste. My water tastes chalky to me. If I freeze my water and it thaws out, there are calcium (?) deposits that float around in it. Some places tap water tastes better than others. NYC had some of the best tap water I ever tasted. Tampa, Florida, not so much. When I moved to Minnesota, or anywhere I go, I taste the tap water, and usually it ends up with me spending the cost of a cup of coffee for better taste.

And just to be clear, am I really the only one here who pays for sewage and water? They are the same utility. You pay for them to take the water you fill up with shit and piss, then pay them to clean it and send it back to you through a series of pipes that are of age and condition that is only known to anyone who takes the time to notice.

But I seriously hope that everyone who's balking at the bottled water that, if you drink alcohol, that you only drink the cheapest beer you can find. What tastes fine to one person might taste like shit to another, and singling out water is pretty silly.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 03-23-2010 at 04:17 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 04:55 PM
What Bubba just said so eruditely is what I was trying to convey in my first post.

Well said.