Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Hobby Talk! > Misc. NON-MOVIE TALK forum
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:
I do find it interesting that people don't balk at paying money for soda or other sugary drinks, but, apparently if you like to drink water, you're some sort of rube. You guys are aware that Kool-Aid and coffee are a lot cheaper than soda-pop. Right?
Don't have a budget for soda, don't have a budget for beer, don't have a budget for coffee, on and on and on. Wrong guy to make that case to cuz I'm a walking talking Idealistic Young Man cliche. Now sure, there's a case to be made that just because you're proud of your habits doesn't mean you have to be a dick parading them around as some idealized standard (even if it is some idealized standard). Different strokes for different folks. But wherever these topics are concerned I can and unfortunately do turn up my nose at people even though it's petty of me. Don't get me wrong, I love all the options and treats we have to make our modern lives in our modern countries more enjoyable, regardless of their validity. I'm typing on the internet right now, which clearly isn't the Most Productive Way To Spend One's Time, so right there I'm at least a self-aware cliche. I'm not idealistic to the point of idiocy. I don't rage when somebody buys ketchup because they prefer their meat with ketchup. All the same- excessive bottled water is, for me, a place to draw the line. There are exceptions, as listed in this thread, and deep down everybody should already know these exceptions aren't being lectured to when people like me make these kinds of speeches. If your water is brown, buy bottled water. That's fine and moderation is fine.
Excessive use of bottled water... It's the straw to break the camel's back with these discussions. People are going overboard and as arrogant as it is to lecture another human being on how best to live, it's probably its own form of arrogance to assume you're above doing so occasionally. I'm certainly not. People with perfectly drinkable tap ought to be checked if they have their homes stocked in bottled water.

Although all this goes out the window depending on the validity of Tap water is safe. I'm confident of my opinion, but I'm not positive.

Last edited by Shinigami; 03-23-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
Since I was old enough to walk, I've drank tap water.
I lived in the South Bronx where water came in three varieties:

White foam = drinkable in a pinch, boil if needed

Grey ghost = boil before drinking, if any "ghostly" shapes are left in the water, immediately get rid of it and try again

Brown chocolate = unless you want to develop sores in your stomach lining, walk away from this water.

When I moved to Jersey and started drinking Jersey water (Teaneck, Rutherford, Newark), I noticed my stomach "troubles" (don't want to gross anyone out) went from "nuisance" to "outright intestine gouging pain" as I drank a lot of that tap water.

I was directed to try bottled water, which I balked at at first like you, but after switching, I don't experience the same "troubles" and feel significantly better since doing so.

YES it is a pain in the ass to pay for water.
YES it is an equal pain in the ass to transport the amount of water I ingest.
YES I know some bottled water CAN BE as bad as tap water but I buy premium brands and haven't had a problem.

For me, it works (.99 cents a bottle) and I would NEVER go back to the tap.
Unless the apocalypse comes and I'm left with little choice.
Might try and hit a Costco's before I try the tap though, shotgun in hand...
Oh man we're cut from the same cloth. I still live in the South Bronx and nine times out of ten getting a good cup of tap water is a process that takes time. You have to wait for ten minutes for the water to run, fill up a cup, hope it's not misty or dirty, throw it away and refill it, then throw it away again and refill it and then once it comes up clear, you have to hope for the best.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
Don't have a budget for soda, don't have a budget for beer, don't have a budget for coffee, on and on and on. Wrong guy to make that case to cuz I'm a walking talking Idealistic Young Man cliche. Now sure, there's a case to be made that just because you're proud of your habits doesn't mean you have to be a dick parading them around as some idealized standard (even if it is some idealized standard). Different strokes for different folks. But wherever these topics are concerned I can and unfortunately do turn up my nose at people even though it's petty of me. Don't get me wrong, I love all the options and treats we have to make our modern lives in our modern countries more enjoyable, regardless of their validity. I'm typing on the internet right now, which clearly isn't the Most Productive Way To Spend One's Time, so right there I'm at least a self-aware cliche. I'm not idealistic to the point of idiocy. I don't rage when somebody buys ketchup because they prefer their meat with ketchup. All the same- excessive bottled water is, for me, a place to draw the line. There are exceptions, as listed in this thread, and deep down everybody should already know these exceptions aren't being lectured to when people like me make these kinds of speeches. If your water is brown, buy bottled water. That's fine and moderation is fine.
Excessive use of bottled water... It's the straw to break the camel's back with these discussions. People are going overboard and as arrogant as it is to lecture another human being on how best to live, it's probably its own form of arrogance to assume you're above doing so occasionally. I'm certainly not. People with perfectly drinkable tap ought to be checked if they have their homes stocked in bottled water.

Although all this goes out the window depending on the validity of Tap water is safe. I'm confident of my opinion, but I'm not positive.
Yeah, but I don't like ketchup on my meat, so you have no point contrary to anything I said. Yes, I can do that too. What I'll do instead...

When I say "people", I don't mean "Shinigami and only Shinigami only, because that's who I happen to be replying to." You seem to understand this, but I question if others would read it that way.

The thing about tap water in, say, Florida, is that it's hot. That kind of tastes bad. Okay, then, buy a pitcher. Okay, I just spent 5 bucks on a pitcher. A filtered pitcher is $7 more and there's no sediment floating around in there.

You can't afford coffee, soda, or bottled water. Okay, so your opinion is like that of a starving man explaining why he thinks it's silly to own a set of dishes. I can understand that.

Your post kind of went in several directions at once, and seemed to entirely hinge on me pointing out that there are people who drink soda and complain about the price of water. I really don't give a shit what you personally drink, because the point is exactly the same. People do this, and whether you do or not has no barring. It's silly. You know that. The Devil needs no advocate except only to find where the best parties are on any given night. I scratch that, your point was more about people lecturing, but, I mean...

I mean, I haven't lectured anyone, nor have I said my way is better. I even poked fun at myself for potentially sounding self-righteous. That didn't stop you from responding to Evian Nazis, the same as I responded to the Illuminated Followers of the Faucet.

From what I can tell, the only lecturing or back-patting that's been done in this thread is from those who are balking at the possibility that some person who lives in conditions unfamiliar to them might prefer bottled water. Wasn't this the entire point of starting this thread, and in turn, what you are conversing in favor of at the moment, while throwing a "some but not all" bone to those who you obviously have the sense to realize why they would, but none-the-less are still saying to an extent, "but maybe like some people, those people people are stupid."

Even BoxMan seems to get that it was kind of silly rant topic, and even then, I "get" where he's coming from. He's not defending it to the end or finding loop holes contained in fragments of posts to reinforce why he shared the opinion to begin with. I'm assuming he just had a Seinfeld moment and wasn't able to get his bit fully realized before the votes came rolling in.

All that said. I get seriously irked whenever I see an empty water bottle as a piece of liter. Irked, because on one hand, it's artistic in many ways, but the other, it's... well, you know.


But back to the discussion - Am I the only person on these forums besides Count who has had kidney stones?

http://voicesweb.org/?q=node/1670

Again, this is not why I drink filtered water, but with the cost, time and brink-of-suicide pain associted with stones - like I said before, it's not worth thinking about for me, when the difference is only the cost of sugary treats or, as I said originally, chump change. I think the simple point that I and most others have been rallying for to varying degress is that there are far more reasons to drink filtered/distilled/bottled/whatever water than there is to not drink it. This isn't brain surgery. Chances are that if you live anywhere in the Western World where you access to pure drinking water, you are probably living off the grid.

Last edited by The Postmaster General; 03-24-2010 at 04:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Cause they don't sell bottled air...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 PM
When I was talking about lecturing I was talking about myself. I'm lecturing people on how best to live. It had nothing to do with you, Bubba. You self-absorbed macadamia nut.

Anyway you're getting back on topic and that's great, everybody focus on that. I'm off on my tangent. But real quick-like: I can't think of anywhere else to go in response to BubbaStrangelove, because most of his points aren't to be argued because they're not really anything to be discredited. Or argued. It is strange to draw the line at bottled water when you don't draw the line at ketchup. I was going on about excess. I can afford beer, soda, and coffee, but I don't buy them, I have no budget set aside for them, because I'm an Idealistic Young Man cliche. You know, I'd rather ride a bicycle than drive a car, don't pollute, give a hoot, I think I'm holier than thou because I'm not "spoiled" by the "jaded riches" of the "modern consumerist culture". Have a laugh. But BubbaStrangelove kind of fucks up these replies because he's a pretty mellow levelheaded poster, right? He has perspective. I, on the other hand, am trying to yell at people for buying bottled water if their tap water is perfectly drinkable, which is not really a levelheaded thing to do (not by the merits of that decision making process, but by the merits of... Don't tell people what to do).

So Bubbastrangelove is kind of harshing my buzz. My buzz, being:
Quote:
throwing a "some but not all" bone to those who you obviously have the sense to realize why they would, but none-the-less are still saying to an extent, "but maybe like some people, those people people are stupid."
That is exactly what I'm saying.
...I'm not being sarcastic. Just nod your head and walk away, people. Nod your head and walk away! But for god sake's don't chug that water bottle you just bought. Go to the water fountain.

Last edited by Shinigami; 03-23-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 PM
Shinigami just isn't letting this go. Lord have mercy.

^the central penn link says that tap water may cause kidney stones in people prone to kidney stones. Come on.

Look, despite my hahas and jokes, my presumption is... The majority of people who drink bottled water drink bottled water because there's bottled water. Hence the bottled air joke. You guys are listing exceptions which don't really do anything to my general rule of thumb, which is that most people seem to drink bottled water because there is bottled water. Most people also need coffee to wake up in the morning and that is not a healthy dependence. Our bodies shouldn't need those stimulants just as our bodies shouldn't necessarily need so much clean purity in our water intake. I don't need coffee to wake up because I've kept off that stuff, and although my holier than thou joke is rising again as something more serious than a joke, it's partway true here and I'm still okay being judgmental about it cuz people really have to start getting better about their dependence on things they don't need to be dependent on.

Such as bottled water. Is anybody with me on this at all, or am I really just planting my foot in the ground and loco'ing out here?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
^the central penn link says that tap water may cause kidney stones in people prone to kidney stones. Come on.

Look, despite my hahas and jokes, my presumption is... The majority of people who drink bottled water drink bottled water because there's bottled water. Hence the bottled air joke. You guys are listing exceptions which don't really do anything to my general rule of thumb, which is that most people seem to drink bottled water because there is bottled water. Most people also need coffee to wake up in the morning and that is not a healthy dependence. Our bodies shouldn't need those stimulants just as our bodies shouldn't necessarily need so much clean purity in our water intake. I don't need coffee to wake up because I've kept off that stuff, and although my holier than thou joke is rising again as something more serious than a joke, it's partway true here and I'm still okay being judgmental about it cuz people really have to start getting better about their dependence on things they don't need to be dependent on.

Such as bottled water. Is anybody with me on this at all, or am I really just planting my foot in the ground and loco'ing out here?

You've lost my support, but that's okay because you are like a miniature UN trying to install peace around the forums.

As I understand it, you are now saying our bodies can take all the shit in normal water so we should tolerate it? (I've bolded the part that led me to this assumption).

My question is: why take the chance?

If you can afford filtered, clean, crisp water -which sells for buttons - why buy stuff that may not, can't be sure, but will persist anyway, cross my fingers and hope water?

It's daft. I drink tap water; which is cool, since I live underneath a mountain and the water is as cold and delectable as any water you will ever taste. However, I still advise that people buy bottled water, simply because there is a purification process that ensures health and safety.

Last edited by Reigh Kaufman; 03-23-2010 at 10:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 PM
the further adventures of somebody who had too much free time today!

I tried to safeguard myself by using necessarily, but you didn't buy it. I think I'm dead in the water here (pun intended). I might be able to about-face and dig my hidey hole a little farther back to give me a bit more wiggle room, but I'm pinned down. You guys are making a lot more sense than I am, unfortunately. For now. If I think of something over the course of the night I might be able to come back, but I dunno. I tried to broaden my argument last post by including the whole discussion of whether or not we're too dependent on things we shouldn't be, even on consumerist culture... But no. I think this is the end of the line.

waitwaitwait

Quote:
My question is: why take the chance?
That question can be applied to a lot of things! We shouldn't necessarily (there I go again) safeguard ourselves against everything, and it's perfectly natural and healthy to allow some dangers and sicknesses and pollutants into our body. The body can handle it. It's just about drawing a line. Is tap water generally unhealthy? If it's not, should people be encouraged to avoid it anyway? It's a slippery slope. One day people are buying bottled water because why not? And the next day it's bottled bottles! You should wear a helmet when you bike because why take the chance? But you should maybe also wear armpads and kneepads because why take the chance? You see, the... The uh. The... Uhhhhh... No that's a stupid thing to say, shinigami. It's the end of the line. I'm done.

Maybe I'll rise from the ashes another day. For now I'll take a break and relax in a hot bath and try not to think about the chemicals going into my pores and contaminating my body. I'm a recovering hypochondriac by the way. So. This whole thread was a struggle for me to be secure with my health, which you guys unfortunately ruined. So. Thanks a lot everybody.

Last edited by Shinigami; 03-23-2010 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-23-2010, 10:43 PM
Spoken like a true Westerner.

And you should always wear a helmet.

Reigh Kaufman - volunteer for Medecins Sans Frontiers from 1997-98.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-24-2010, 02:05 AM
Yeah I just drink filtered water, thanks.


Apparently World Water Day was the day before yesterday, so here are some interesting articles and photos:

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/03/water.html

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/mw..._water_an.html


OH and did anyone see the documentary FLOW?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 03-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
^the central penn link says that tap water may cause kidney stones in people prone to kidney stones. Come on.

Which is why I asked if others, like me, have had kidney stones before. The crux of the discussion is why would people drink bottled water, and there's another reason. So far, the reasons in response have been because more-or-less and either or that it's too expensive or because we shouldn't give into the bourgeois class and their fancy ways.

You're simply being too argumentative in congruence with my replies, but it might look like that from the other direction. I'm lost in a haze of attempted humor with perhaps 80% of the smoke coming out of my own ass, I'm not sure. For God's sake, though, I hope it's at least run through a carbon filter.

If we are going to start talking about what we really need, that would be fine, but in terms of drawing a line, I'd start talking about cocaine, high def TV and a lot of other things before bottled water. Of course, I could perfectly understand why someone would want to use filtered water to prepare an injection of cocaine so that they could get really high and watch the first season of Breaking Bad on Blu ray. I mean, sometimes the "why the fucks" of the world are a lot more obvious than we care to admit.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 03-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Quote:
If we are going to start talking about what we really need, that would be fine, but in terms of drawing a line, I'd start talking about cocaine, high def TV and a lot of other things before bottled water.
But I love high def tv-

And I am being argumentative. With everybody. I don't have a problem with anybody here, but I am trying to instigate because I'm a health nutter, and slipped between the lines of my arguments are those ???s of whether or not tap is actually okay for you or whether bottled water is better in any noticeable or worthwhile way. If I saw some tap documentary alike Food Inc, I'd switch over to bottled pretty fast. Or buy a purifier or something. I'm being argumentative because I was hoping to find a Right/Wrong conclusion to the opinions on the thread. Inquiring minds must know. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a right/wrong conclusion in the cards, no matter how I try to browbeat it out. So I'm stuck drawing and redrawing lines in the sand while others are being openminded and fair to everybody's choices or preferences in the matter. urgh
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 03-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminal_83 View Post
Oh man we're cut from the same cloth. I still live in the South Bronx and nine times out of ten getting a good cup of tap water is a process that takes time. You have to wait for ten minutes for the water to run, fill up a cup, hope it's not misty or dirty, throw it away and refill it, then throw it away again and refill it and then once it comes up clear, you have to hope for the best.
Praying that it's not like that water from "The Abyss".
I just wanted to quench my thirst, not fight for my friggin' life.

Bad water in the Boogie Down: still going strong in 2010.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 03-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyRazor View Post
Praying that it's not like that water from "The Abyss".
I just wanted to quench my thirst, not fight for my friggin' life.

Bad water in the Boogie Down: still going strong in 2010.
Exactly! It's like catching a ghost in liquid or something.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
But I love high def tv-

And I am being argumentative. With everybody. I don't have a problem with anybody here, but I am trying to instigate because I'm a health nutter, and slipped between the lines of my arguments are those ???s of whether or not tap is actually okay for you or whether bottled water is better in any noticeable or worthwhile way. If I saw some tap documentary alike Food Inc, I'd switch over to bottled pretty fast. Or buy a purifier or something. I'm being argumentative because I was hoping to find a Right/Wrong conclusion to the opinions on the thread. Inquiring minds must know. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a right/wrong conclusion in the cards, no matter how I try to browbeat it out. So I'm stuck drawing and redrawing lines in the sand while others are being openminded and fair to everybody's choices or preferences in the matter. urgh

Not sure about the documentary that electriclite mentioned - sounds like what your talking about to be converted and on Netflix last night (watch now) I went by a documentary called Blue Gold that I think touches on water management and the lack of abundance of water.

I've just grown up around lots of bad pipes and have been in poor towns with bad treatment facilities, but, again, it never resorts to a health choice as much as taste. Well, scratch that - I drink water as a health choice. I usually drink over 128oz a day just from my Big Ass Cups, but I also intake caffeine and other things that sort of counteract water. It's just the more water I drink, the more I taste it.

I'm not denying, though, that there are people who buy water only because it's for sale. Those people, though, probably buy other things the same way. I have an ongoing complaint with people who buy HDTVs or other higher end technology and don't know what they are buying or how to use it - an example being overhearing a couple at Sears buying a TV, and going for a cheaper brand, adding that it's even bigger, thus better than "Jones'" TV, so they are one upping with their purchase. I'm like - "Errrr, why don't you just spend all the money on a suit and always wear it to the Jones' house! I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a suit that expensive, and you only seem to care about winning the nice thing war..."

That's the kind of shit that goes through my head millions of times a second, so please understand when I explain why I don't have time for water, especially stinkin' water.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump