Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 AM
College Fraternities

I think fraternities can be a good thing, but I despise the stereotypical frat boy, and the obnoxious "fratty" culture. I went to a very Greek university - about 40% of the student population was in a sorority or fraternity. I wasn't in a fraternity myself, but my social circle was pretty split - about half of my acquaintances were Greek, and half weren't. Among people I know, I'm in the middle when it comes to outlooks on fraternities - I think fraternities as an institution can be a good thing, but it can also certainly be abused. Most of the friends I know who were in frats were perfectly fine, but I know a couple of guys who are just absurdly obnoxious about it, and who proudly declare themselves as "fratty" or "fratastic." For example, they'll post "what a beautiful looking fraturday" as their facebook status update on a Saturday morning, or caption group pictures of themselves with their fraternity brothers with something like "we are just so damn fratty."

Going to a very Greek school, I've been used to this sort of stuff for a while. But then, thanks to one of my more obnoxious frat friends, I saw this: http://frattinghard.com/ , which makes me just want to puke. As I said above, I think fraternities can be a good thing, but I hate obnoxiousness in general, so I'm bothered by the other things I mentioned. Most of my non-Greek friends, though, think fraternities are inherently bad, and that their very existence is a threat to what should be an intellectual culture of the university. I think this is ridiculous because I believe they can be a valuable social mechanism for many students. I want to know what you people think, though, because among the people I know, the opinions seem to be rather polarized. What are your thoughts on college fraternities?

Last edited by RicochetShaw; 03-30-2010 at 01:11 AM..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:02 AM
A college fraternity is a place for loud, obnoxious, egotistical douchebags. Really, when all is said and done, college fraternities are nothing more than stupid clubs designed to give the joiner feelings of false grandeur. People often get this impression that joining a fraternity is a monumental achievement, but it's not.

I admire college as a learning institution, but I truly despise every inch of it as a social one.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:18 AM
I made it through college just fine without being in a frat.

In fact, the only notable thing any of our frats did was steal a ton of the school papers because the name of one of their members was in the campus police blotter.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:08 AM
My ex was in a sorority. She would complain about a lot of the girls in it, about what they did to her in the past. Her 3 roomates were in sororities too, and they would just bash every single sorority on campus. They probably didn't even know the girls in the sorority.

I've known kids from high school that joined fraternities. They were obnoxious, and I didn't care for them. I think a lot of kids that join these do it because they have trouble making friends, and meeting new people. So they pretty much pay for friends.

I do respect them for the charity work they do. Even if it is forced and the majority of kids don't want to do it.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Just a bunch of douchebags trying to feel important before they join a meaningless work force in the food service industry.

Who would really go through all of the "pledging" crap they do just to join a glorified clique? Its pointless and desperate. You want friends? Grow a personality and make some.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:25 AM
There were two frat members on my intramural basketball team. One of them was a talentless ballhog, but the other one was a really good shot blocker and knew how to set the most effective picks. Not surprisingly, the talentless ballhog was a date rapist and talented guy became disenfranchised with the increasingly hedonistic Greek lifestyle and eventually left.

I think that pretty much sums up my experience with fraternities.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjohnson View Post
meaningless work force in the food service industry.
The fuck does this mean? I work in a kitchen and I'm extremely proud of the food that we put out. You should get a fucking clue that not everyone that works in the industry does it because they're a lowlife. The majority of us have a passion for food, and have a desire to get better and continue to learn.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by labialover View Post
The fuck does this mean? I work in a kitchen and I'm extremely proud of the food that we put out. You should get a fucking clue that not everyone that works in the industry does it because they're a lowlife. The majority of us have a passion for food, and have a desire to get better and continue to learn.
Kitchen or a Taco Bell? Cuz I meant like a Taco Bell.

I know that not evryone who works in a kitchen is a lowlife. Some of them are also immigrants.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:00 PM
Quote:

I know that not evryone who works in a kitchen is a lowlife. Some of them are also immigrants.
Wow, you really redeemed yourself there. Don't think you think that's a pretty ridiculous and cruel statement? I'm sure some schmoes here work in the food industry, and if I were one of them, I'd be pretty insulted. I don't care if it's fast food or not, if you're an employee there, that means you're either a "lowlife" or an immigrant? What the fuck, man? Also, phrasing it like that makes it seem as if you're equating the two ("lowlifes" and immigrants"). Again, what the fuck?

On top of that, if anything, fraternities offer employment advantages. I know quite a few frat guys who don't have the most impressive resumes or GPAs, but have landed pretty nice jobs out of college due to the connections they made through their fraternities. I'm not saying that's right, or that I condone it, but it certainly disproves your theory that being in a fraternity "dooms" you to the food industry. Why do you think that's the case?

Last edited by RicochetShaw; 03-30-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
Bad Frat experience!

Hey guys,

I joined a fraternity my freshman year with one of my buddies. I passed the initiation, played the game, and got in...

Dumped it after about a month because it was cutting into much class time, they wanted me to skip too many classes, and not date outside of the sorority. And honestly, I wasn't attracted to anyone in the sorority for a variety of reasons. They also wanted me taunt other people.

I like a casual cute girl who is smart, but not pompous. Who is good dresser with moderate makeup, but not slutty. Sucker for long blond, brown, or inbetween hair. A lot more I like, but I won't go into my dating specifics.

So I dumped the Frat because I was taunted in early elementary school before taking up martial arts, so I know it sucks.

The other guy stayed in and we never talked since. He called me weak, so I just moved on to other people and experiences.

Last edited by waterslideguy; 03-30-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM
Quote:
How far you going to dig that hole?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM
During college, I was VERY anti-Greek (or fraternity/soroity). The whole concept of it was insanely retarded in my eyes (especially the whole pledging/hazing/hell week bullshit, that they put some of their pledges through to become "one of them"). And of course, not all frats haze but a lot of them still do. The shit that I have heard is dispicable.

Luckily, the college I attended didnt really have a big Greek system so there was never any pressure to rush one. I couldnt picture myself living with 60 other guys. I would probably go insane.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Just a bunch of douchebags trying to feel important before they join a meaningless work force in the food service industry.
Thats definitely NOT true. A lot of the frats do require an above avg GPA and a lot of them focus on academics. I know a number of them require their members to go to the library and study a certain number of hours or more. Most frats arent like the one in Animal House.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Quote:
"I see your true colours shining through, I see your true colours and that's why I...."

Old 03-30-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_bravo View Post
Thats definitely NOT true. A lot of the frats do require an above avg GPA and a lot of them focus on academics. I know a number of them require their members to go to the library and study a certain number of hours or more. Most frats arent like the one in Animal House.
Tell that to the guy who gets jumped by four frat boys, gets their jaw broken and thei car set on fire simply because theyre not in their "club."

Me.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:14 PM
thats mostly a dramatization. But from true stories to various friends.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
That's not a frat, that's a gang, if such a thing were to happen.

You were joking with your "immigrant" line, weren't you? That's how I took it.

I think it's kinda funny that there's so much offense being taken to a generalized pot shot against people in the food service industry in a thread making the following generalized pot shots against people in fraternities:

Quote:
A college fraternity is a place for loud, obnoxious, egotistical douchebags.
Quote:
Just a bunch of douchebags trying to feel important
Quote:
they pretty much pay for friends.
It's fair to be insulted by the comments I guess, but being insulted by the negative stereotyping of one group and not the other strikes me as inconsistent.

Anyway, I was in a frat and I'm glad I did it, I had a great college experience. I pledged with a close-knit group of friends I'd made Freshman year, my class was large and basically took over the organization when we got in and the Seniors graduated. None of us took it very seriously, no one got hazed in any awful or degrading way, we were essentially a drinking club that liked throwing parties. Most of us were extremely bright, our average GPA was 3.7, most of my class has gone on to grad school or gainful employment, in my estimation at least very few of us were particularly obnoxious. As I said I joined with a group of guys I'd become good friends with before pledging, then we basically decided who got in after that and just took people we liked and got along with. The reason people joined was because they liked hanging out with each other, liked the access it gave them to attractive girls and a large social scene, enjoyed a general sense of camaraderie familiar to anyone who's played team sports, and D.C. is strict on IDs so if you were a guy who wanted to drink before you were 21, it was your best option. I drank way more than the $200 a semester I spent on dues, plus I got cheaper/better housing and two jobs through it so I don't think I was "paying" for anything I didn't get more than my money's worth from. There were some downsides, but all of them could be avoided by taking the "organization" aspect of it with a grain of salt, recognizing it was just a bunch of dudes with something in common, and deciding your own level of personal involvement as you saw fit. I had a very active life outside of the frat I was in, even when I lived in a frathouse. Balance is key, but also kind of obvious to anyone who has their act together.

I get where the stereotypes and animosity come from, but in my experience at least, they're often not accurate and deserved. My fraternity had a reputation among people outside the Greek community as being rich, elitist, prettyboy cokeheads. We were mostly middle class with as many if not more kids from working class backgrounds than rich ones, nearly all friendly, social, open-minded people, and though we smoked a lot of pot and a handful of us liked hallucinogens, I'd bet less of us did coke than did the regular student body percentage-wise. In other words, what people who didn't know us thought about us was almost entirely untrue and certainly couldn't be used to describe us as a group. A lot of my fellow film students, social activists, and other friends outside Greek life seemed shocked to learn I was in the frat I was in or meet my very decent, personable brothers because they had an idea in their head that we were all like the preppy villain in an 80's teen comedy or something. Granted, there are many ways in which we weren't a typical fraternity, but I know at least as many compassionate and driven intellectuals in frats as I do douchey and shiftless meatheads and at least from the outside I'm sure we looked very typical. The only thing I've found in common across different frats at different schools is that the members like to drink, which in college I don't think is a grave sin. There are definitely lots of pricks in fraternities, but they're not pricks because they joined fraternities, and the same can be said for any group of people. I'd mock and deride the "stereotypical" frat boy as much as anyone else here, but I think a lot less people actually fit that stereotype than is widely assumed, though personal experiences may vary.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 03-30-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Fraturday? Seriously? rofl
Old 03-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Well, I'm going to NYU. Less than 2% of the student body are members of fraternities, according to their website. Greek life, school spirit and all that stuff isn't a big part of the NYU community. So... yeah.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I go to a smaller school that is a 30 minute drive from a large nationally recognized school which basically means about half our enrollment are drop outs from said larger school and walk around campus with the larger schools t-shirts on.

There are a couple frats but I can't say any of them have ever exhibited the behavior like in this thread. Like Quentin said, they are mostly just drinking organizations. Their members are just as smart or stupid as any other random individual walking down campus.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Quote:

I went to culinary school and work at a restaurant owned by an Iron Chef.

Quentin, I don't see how what I said was an insult. The majority of people I met from my ex would only do things with other people in the sorority or frat. That's why I said I think a lot of people join them because they have trouble meeting people and making friends. I know the "stereotypical" frat guys are few and far between. I've maybe met a handful in my life. That's why I didn't mention that stereotype or say anyone is a douchebag.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Quote:

Quentin, I don't see how what I said was an insult. The majority of people I met from my ex would only do things with other people in the sorority or frat. That's why I said I think a lot of people join them because they have trouble meeting people and making friends. I know the "stereotypical" frat guys are few and far between. I've maybe met a handful in my life. That's why I didn't mention that stereotype or say anyone is a douchebag.
I wasn't insulted by it, but I also wasn't insulted by the food service industry thing and you were. I think "meaningless jobs in the food service industry" and "they pretty much pay for friends" are about the same on the level of potential to offend based on where you're coming from. I don't think either were intended as insults at all, I just found it amusing that people were jumping on someone for denigrating the importance of people in the food service industry while elsewhere in the thread others (not you) were outright blanketing all people in Greek life as "loud, obnoxious, egotistical douchebags" and immediately before the food service line, "just a bunch of douchebags."

In the right time and place, I'm prone to call hipsters douchebags based on stereotyping, assumptions, and limited personal experience, so I'm not trying to throw stones so much as just point out that there's a funny inconsistency in the offense being taken and that based on my experience, what some people are saying here is based mostly on stereotyping and I bet there are a lot of fraternity members out there who'd get along just fine with the schmoes of the joblo dot com forums. I got no issue with what you said, I just thought there was an interesting disparity of people taking issue with what adam said that I think was more harmless.

Like this reaction
Quote:
Don't think you think that's a pretty ridiculous and cruel statement? I'm sure some schmoes here work in the food industry, and if I were one of them, I'd be pretty insulted.
to the food service industry remark but not a peep about the multiple douchebag remarks was funny and demonstrated an inconsistency of offense being taken to me.

I'll let him speak for himself, but I read adam's "members of the food service industry" thing as a mocking reference to the euphemistic title of fast food employees, like "master of the custodial arts" for janitor. Just a reference to someone working low-wage, low-skills "shit job" after thinking they were awesome. I believe he meant a Taco Bell chip cook, not someone with a culinary degree in a nice restaurant. Now people who work fast food can come in and get offended, but I think we all get what he was trying to say, and it's similar to what bitter people often say about high school athletes for instance, like "Enjoy getting treated like a rock star now, you've got a long road of boredom stuck in a dead-end town ahead of you," etc. The immigrants line really obviously read to me as a joke and I still assume that's how he meant it. If not I'll let him dig himself further, but usually we've got a keener sense for when people are being facetious around here and I think that was definitely the case.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 03-31-2010 at 12:43 AM..
Old 03-31-2010, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Please say it's Morimoto; that fella be the shit.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 AM
I neighbored an unofficial fraternity house. They were all nice guys and always invited me to party. There were always drunks accidentally walking into my apartment and apologizing before commenting that it smelled particularly good. One time one of the guys brandished a gun and got arrested the next day. We all laughed. Not once did they ever complain about my music, or random people passing out around the premises, and that was a plus.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:26 AM
When I was back in my frat I used to love hazing people. I used to make guys dress up in banana suits and walk around campus, or sometimes I'd walk up to a guy when he's with his best friend and stick a banana up his ass and say "Hey Banana-Ass what's- how's it going?" Sometimes I would break into their room when they were sleeping and stick the tip of my penis in their mouth, just for a second.

Things got weird when this old dude insisted on paling around with us though.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 AM
I went to a fraternity I fucked lots of girls and did lots of drugs it was great!!! All you guys need is money like A LOT of it but hey that's what parents are for lol!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJoeG View Post
When I was back in my frat I used to love hazing people. I used to make guys dress up in banana suits and walk around campus, or sometimes I'd walk up to a guy when he's with his best friend and stick a banana up his ass and say "Hey Banana-Ass what's- how's it going?" Sometimes I would break into their room when they were sleeping and stick the tip of my penis in their mouth, just for a second.

Things got weird when this old dude insisted on paling around with us though.

Well, as long as it was only in their mouth for a second...If it's 5+ seconds then you're a faggot.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:47 AM
I think that fraternities are the number one producers of douche bags on the planet. The funny thing is that the majority of college guys in frats individually are good people. It's when you get a group, or herd of frat guys that they start acting like idiots. The majority of guys from my high school went up to college and all joined the same frat. Does that make any sense to anyone? I mean, yeah it was only like 15-20 guys and I'm sure their class was probably over 100 people but seriously, why pay to hang out with the same people you've known for at least the last four years of your life.

I recall a good friend of mine who lived with three friends from high school who all were in this frat. They threw a house party and my good friend actually was kicked out of his own house, BY SOMEONE HE KNEW FROM HIGH SCHOOL BUT WAS IN THE FRAT, because he wasn't a "brother".

"But fraternities are great way to expand your social life and meet all sorts of new people!" Bull-f*cking-shit. It just herds together the same type of people.

That being said, I am not totally against the concept of Greek life. Had I gone to an out of state university I would have gone the Greek route to meet new people. Hell, I was a house boy at a sorority for four years and the girls are representing "Greek life" much better than the guys.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
We don't have fraternities over here, because they're stupid.

The closest thing we do get is all the upper class students have their own secret society that you have to 'pledge' for and be initiated into, but you also have to pay 'the leader' 100 every time they have a party.

There shouldn't be requirements to simply hang out with friends and have a good time.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
We don't have fraternities over here, because they're stupid.

The closest thing we do get is all the upper class students have their own secret society that you have to 'pledge' for and be initiated into, but you also have to pay 'the leader' 100 every time they have a party.

There shouldn't be requirements to simply hang out with friends and have a good time.

That's not really what they are about. They are an organized group that does things outside of what you see portrayed in stereotypes, like community stuff and what-not. For instance, potential employers often look at fraternities as a show that an individual is capable of integrating, getting along with, and working inside of groups. It's all most about prestige than about getting together and hanging with people. Yeah, anyone can hang out with anyone, but it looks silly on a resume when you put for extracurricular activites/group involvement: me and my friends used to get together and watch MST3000 every Friday night. (for example)

I'm pretty far removed from the frat culture (I done grown up poor) but I *get* that it's more than just buddying up. On paper at least. I never particularly remember any of the guys who lived next to me talking about community service, but I do remember a lot of stories of a different sort.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaStrangelove View Post
That's not really what they are about...
Oh OK. Not many people here seemed to mention community service stuff but I suppose they aren't so bad if they get together to help others. The notion that you have to pledge or go through some trial to be part of a social group just seemed stupid, it's stuff like that that leads to people having elitist attitudes which obviously aren't helpful for a society.

But its not part of my culture so maybe I just don't 'get it'...
Old 04-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Oh OK. Not many people here seemed to mention community service stuff but I suppose they aren't so bad if they get together to help others. The notion that you have to pledge or go through some trial to be part of a social group just seemed stupid, it's stuff like that that leads to people having elitist attitudes which obviously aren't helpful for a society.

But its not part of my culture so maybe I just don't 'get it'...

Oh, there's a lot to not get about it - I feel ya there. That's why I said I *got* that aspect to it, because it's one of the few things I get when it comes to frats. I think there's a lot more below the surface that I don't get. Like I said, I lived next to an unofficial frat house for at least a year, and didn't hear much about what they do. I just think there's a misconception that it's a social circle when it's meant to be more of an organization-type of thing. Perhaps some of the guys here who've been involved with them can give more insight, but I've always been under the impression that they are required to do some sort of "good will" type stuff in order to maintain their status in the school. Hey, you've seen Revenge of the Nerds? They put on a carnival and even sold nude pictures of Betty!
Old 04-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I think fraternities are a great way to meet lots of hot girls. I think it also depends on a school you're in, too. You can meet some cool guys in there, and do things outside of the school. In general it can be good for your social circle. If you're an introverted person, it helps you, even if a bit - to get better socializing.