Old 12-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankaiZaraki View Post
Completely forgot I had posted in this thread before lol. Anyways I'm still watching Bleach(the show that never dies)..I've seen episodes of High School of the Dead(which is pretty good)..My ex said the Japanese Death Note is really good so I was gonna give that a shot as well.
I think I'm gonna start back up on Bleach. I haven't watched since Grimmjow's death, because the pacing was awful and the filler was miserable. But now, the manga reached a very significant event (the end of an arc) and I think/hope the anime won't go into serious filler until they have animated the entire arc. Also, there appears to be supplementary information in the anime (stuff like Harribel's past) that wasn't included in the manga.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM
^Good luck with the anime. The studio does the pendulum arc really well, albiet with filler. It has consistently good animation and is consistently on the level with quality control. But the anime is still, uh, wobbly. The studio inserts fillers into battles, interrupting pacing and extending what is already an extended battle section in not-particularly-interesting ways. They censor violence inconsistently. They also remove the good animation directors from their animation rotations to work on the movies- the fourth bleach movie, hell chapter, took the good directors so the bleach anime has suffered for nearly four-five months as a result because the studio apparently takes budgets from the series itself and delegates a portion to the movie. Slummy stuff. There are good all-around episodes here and there, but it's even more inconsistent than it was when you stopped. It's doubtful the bleach anime will be as entertaining as it was during the initial arcs and the introduction of the arrancar arc. The studio isn't using the budget and isn't delegating well enough right now. On the plus side, the latest filler arc about rebel zanpaktou is great fun. They didn't make a movie that year and decided to use their full budget with a good rota of animation directors, and it shows. The animation during that filler is typically better than the animation during canon. It's mostly impressive, entertaining stuff. Check it out for sure. They sandwich a bad filler closer right after the particular rebel arc I'm talking about, so the episode numbers to watch particularly are 230-255. It's a filler arc to recommend.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:01 PM
finished watching street fighter 2 the series, no e honda or blanka but still it was fun!

next up gungrave
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
I think I'm gonna start back up on Bleach. I haven't watched since Grimmjow's death, because the pacing was awful and the filler was miserable. But now, the manga reached a very significant event (the end of an arc) and I think/hope the anime won't go into serious filler until they have animated the entire arc. Also, there appears to be supplementary information in the anime (stuff like Harribel's past) that wasn't included in the manga.
If I were you, just skip all the filler episodes and watch the main arcs. After Grimmjow's death, is when Bleach really starts to pick up steam. Character's get fleshed out, you learn people's motives, and there are some really nice battles. Since the "new" season started ALL the way back in April, there have probably only been about 4-5 episodes that have been dialogue heavy. Other than that, its nothing but battles.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinigami View Post
^Good luck with the anime. The studio does the pendulum arc really well, albiet with filler. It has consistently good animation and is consistently on the level with quality control. But the anime is still, uh, wobbly. The studio inserts fillers into battles, interrupting pacing and extending what is already an extended battle section in not-particularly-interesting ways. They censor violence inconsistently. They also remove the good animation directors from their animation rotations to work on the movies- the fourth bleach movie, hell chapter, took the good directors so the bleach anime has suffered for nearly four-five months as a result because the studio apparently takes budgets from the series itself and delegates a portion to the movie. Slummy stuff. There are good all-around episodes here and there, but it's even more inconsistent than it was when you stopped. It's doubtful the bleach anime will be as entertaining as it was during the initial arcs and the introduction of the arrancar arc. The studio isn't using the budget and isn't delegating well enough right now. On the plus side, the latest filler arc about rebel zanpaktou is great fun. They didn't make a movie that year and decided to use their full budget with a good rota of animation directors, and it shows. The animation during that filler is typically better than the animation during canon. It's mostly impressive, entertaining stuff. Check it out for sure. They sandwich a bad filler closer right after the particular rebel arc I'm talking about, so the episode numbers to watch particularly are 230-255. It's a filler arc to recommend.
I didn't know about the production values suffering from the 4th movie being made(Can't wait to see it). But I'd have to disagree with you on the Rebel Zanpaktou arc. I HATED it! Muramasa was a good character itself, but the zanpatou's characters were horrid. They were all one dimensional and lacked depth. Also, when
Spoiler:
Zaraki killed Rukia's sword
, don't you think it was so obvious that Captian Kurotsuchi knew exactly how to remake zanpaktou's. It completely invalidates when a sword breaks, then the sword's owner part of their soul vanishes or what not. The rebel zanpaktou arc started decently but everything went completely wrong after that.

On the other hand, I highly enjoyed the Pendenlum arc a while back. Watching people who you already knew back when they were in the Soul Society was pretty cool. I gained infinite love for Urahara.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 AM
addicted to gungrave. on ep 14

spoiler

the lift ride was brutal

Last edited by Cosimo; 12-21-2010 at 03:54 AM..
Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosimo View Post
addicted to gungrave. on ep 14

spoiler

the lift ride was brutal
I think I recommended that at some point. Same people that made Trigun. Sweet show.

Quote:
Interesting point about the directors. Never really knew that.

Anyway, I'm hoping that, given where the manga is now, we won't have any more fillers for a while. At least until

Spoiler:
They finish the Aizen arc, which happened in the manga a little over a month ago

There's really no reason to have filler any more. If filler is supposed to allow the manga to "get ahead," then they can finish what they started and then go into a lengthy filler before beginning the next arc. That's why I'm interested in picking up the anime again. I think the pacing will be pretty solid, at least for a while.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
I think I recommended that at some point. Same people that made Trigun. Sweet show.
yeah i remember you saying you were watching it. since investing in a mac demonoid and box torrent anime have been good to me. watching eps off the mac screen whilst falling asleep and changing the vlc codes
Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Anyway, I'm hoping that, given where the manga is now, we won't have any more fillers for a while. At least until

Spoiler:
They finish the Aizen arc, which happened in the manga a little over a month ago

There's really no reason to have filler any more. If filler is supposed to allow the manga to "get ahead," then they can finish what they started and then go into a lengthy filler before beginning the next arc. That's why I'm interested in picking up the anime again. I think the pacing will be pretty solid, at least for a while.
What could they possibly do after the
Spoiler:
Aizen arc
? Unless they spend like 20 episodes just wrapping everything up lol
Old 12-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
What could they possibly do after the
Spoiler:
Aizen arc
? Unless they spend like 20 episodes just wrapping everything up lol
Well, there are three options.

One is to go the route of anime like Berserk and just wrap things up.

Another is to go the route of something like Claymore or Rurouni Kenshin and just permanently deviate from the manga once a significant checkpoing is reached.

Or, what they'll most likely do, is put in a lengthy filler arc. As in, the longest one ever. Something along the lines of 60-80 episodes of filler to allow the current, very slow-paced Lost Substitute arc to actually get somewhere, then resume what they've been doing up to this point: following the manga and dispersing filler arcs when necessary. Whatever the case may be, I don't think they'll implement any filler until they wrap up the current arc. It just wouldn't make sense.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Well, there are three options.

One is to go the route of anime like Berserk and just wrap things up.

Another is to go the route of something like Claymore or Rurouni Kenshin and just permanently deviate from the manga once a significant checkpoing is reached.

Or, what they'll most likely do, is put in a lengthy filler arc. As in, the longest one ever. Something along the lines of 60-80 episodes of filler to allow the current, very slow-paced Lost Substitute arc to actually get somewhere, then resume what they've been doing up to this point: following the manga and dispersing filler arcs when necessary. Whatever the case may be, I don't think they'll implement any filler until they wrap up the current arc. It just wouldn't make sense.
I only watch the anime. I can never read manga's lol. So I have no idea what the Lost Substitute arc is. Anyways, I don't seem them deviating from the current arc right now.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGkqIdDCKCA

You heard me.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Quote:
I didn't realize how far they've come. Like I said, I expect this arc to finish up without any additional filler. But apparently it will be fairly soon, given they're already up to Ichigo's training.

Someone who watches, enlighten me on something: episode 299 is the "Hell Verse Prologue." What is that? The manga had a one-shot that set the stage for the upcoming movie, but typically an anime episode will contain material from about 3-4 chapters. But in this case, there was only one. Was it a full episode? Was it just Aaroniero and Szayel fighting (as was the case in the manga chapter), or was there more to it?
Old 12-25-2010, 11:22 PM
Quote:
I didn't realize how far they've come. Like I said, I expect this arc to finish up without any additional filler. But apparently it will be fairly soon, given they're already up to Ichigo's training.

Someone who watches, enlighten me on something: episode 299 is the "Hell Verse Prologue." What is that? The manga had a one-shot that set the stage for the upcoming movie, but typically an anime episode will contain material from about 3-4 chapters. But in this case, there was only one. Was it a full episode? Was it just Aaroniero and Szayel fighting (as was the case in the manga chapter), or was there more to it?
I would like to know this as well. It confused the hell out of me. I was pumped up for something that looked like it might work as a filler then the next episode it returned back to the current arc. I also would like to know more about this.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:03 AM
The one shot was a filler chapter the bleach authorguy did to promote the movie, and the anime episode adapting it was a one shot anime episode (with some of its own filler) also promoting the movie. That's all. I thought it was pretty bad.

And kenshin, the bleach anime should be done with its arc in feburaryish. They have actually been using about 3-nearly-4 chapters for each episode lately. For some reason they're finally speeding up the pace at the very end. Don't ask. Dunno.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Quote:
And kenshin, the bleach anime should be done with its arc in feburaryish. They have actually been using about 3-nearly-4 chapters for each episode lately. For some reason they're finally speeding up the pace at the very end. Don't ask. Dunno.
I think they're picking up the pace because they finally have a concrete stopping point:

Spoiler:
Aizen's capture and imprisonment

Once that's finished, they can take their time before starting the Lost Substitute arc. No one will complain if they insert a very large filler there, because there will be enough resolution to hold the fans over.
Old 12-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Started watching Princess Tutu after seeing a review of it.

I like it.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
finished gungrave. it was ott and the dialogue at times was ridiculous but that's how it goes for alot of anime. found it completely engaging and at times a little upsetting, wicked score too, downloading ost as we speak 9
Old 12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
Started watching Princess Tutu after seeing a review of it.

I like it.
I enjoyed that show a lot, especially when you consider I'm clearly not in the intended fanbase for magical girl shows like that and most physical conflicts are resolved by dancing. But for what it was, I thought it was pretty solid. I guess it's more a respect thing. Very unique show in a genre that's usually formulaic. I always appreciate creativity.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:49 AM
watching golgo 13 the series and mobile suit gundam. anyone got any recs for mecha anime? i liked the patlabor flicks. i will certainly watch neon genesis evangelion
Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 AM
Quote:
watching golgo 13 the series and mobile suit gundam. anyone got any recs for mecha anime? i liked the patlabor flicks. i will certainly watch neon genesis evangelion
If you watch (and enjoy) Evangelion, I would recommend Rahxephon. I think it's a better version of Evangelion, personally. More likeable characters, better interactions (including one of my favorite romantic subplots in any anime), and a less rushed ending.

Those are probably the best of the philosophic mecha shows. Gurren Lagann is pretty fun (although the art is terrible), and of course, you can't go wrong with good old Gundam Wing (still my favorite Gundam... Endless Waltz puts it over the top). Other shows that typically come up on a "Best Mecha List":

Eureka Seven - I never finished it. It bored me after 14 episodes
Full Metal Panic - definitely funny at parts, but the main storyline isn't very interesting
Macross - classic
Code Geass - I don't really consider it mecha, but it'll be on lists... I find it vastly overrated, though
Vision of Escaflowne - balances mecha and fantasy elements. Not a bad watch. Pretty unique
Big O - never actually watched it, but it's somewhat popular

I have to say, though, that I'm a character guy first. If I don't like the characters, it takes me entirely out of the show. That's why I didn't enjoy Evangelion as much as most anime enthusiasts: I hated Shinji. Everything about him was made me sick. Same with Eureka Seven: Renton is a whiny bastard. The shows I like, first and foremost, have engaging casts. Which is why I'm high on Rahxephon and Gurren Lagann

EDIT: Gunbuster is awesome as well. Very old, though, so the art might be off-putting.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 01-02-2011 at 01:30 AM..
Old 01-02-2011, 05:28 AM
ah yeah i have seen eps of big O, eureka seven and macross though i never finished em

i liked the first couple eps of gundam. when the girl in it was driving around the aftermath of destruction of her hometown i thought it real effective

will check out the rest

golgo 13 is slick, he is a bad man
Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 AM
finished golgo 13 series. entertaining stuff, easy to watcj
Old 01-15-2011, 08:29 PM
i am on ep 20 mobile suit gundam 0079. animations are so cool, love the old
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 AM
Finished Gantz last night, mediocre series.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
question for the gundam fan possee

i am loving 0079! should i bother with other gundam series?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM
Quote:
question for the gundam fan possee

i am loving 0079! should i bother with other gundam series?
I haven't seen all of the Gundam series, but I find Gundam Wing to be the best one. And Endless Waltz, the OVA that concludes the series, is one of the best OVAs I've ever seen.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:11 PM
I know that most of you are Berserk fans like myself, so I thought this news might be pretty exciting.

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201101210303.html

Here are some trailers of the new project: http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/cm/index.html

I am SO fucking pumped for this. I haven't watched any anime in over a year, but I can't imagine this project not getting me back into it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebs- View Post
I know that most of you are Berserk fans like myself, so I thought this news might be pretty exciting.

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201101210303.html

Here are some trailers of the new project: http://www.younganimal.com/berserk/cm/index.html

I am SO fucking pumped for this. I haven't watched any anime in over a year, but I can't imagine this project not getting me back into it.
Been hoping for something like this since I first saw the series but never thought it would happen, fantastic news!
Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 PM
I don't really get the point of a new Berserk. Berserk has a looooooong way to go, so I'm not sure what exactly this movie is gonna cover. Is it gonna be the same as the anime, but include the parts left out of the first "25 episodes" like spending more time in the present before the flashback (the anime relegated that time period to 1 episode), Skull Knight, and the Dogs? Is it gonna be EXACTLY like the anime but with updated art? Or are they gonna go beyond the Eclipse and into the stuff with Farneze, Isidoro, Serpico, and Shierke? Regardless, if it's Berserk, I'm watching.

I'm glad that it's still popular enough to merit this kind of treatment. Hopefully, when it's officially over, it'll get either a full-scale reboot (like FMA Brotherhood) or at least a continuation (like Inuyasha).

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 01-24-2011 at 09:09 PM..
Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 AM
The article says that the movie is going to be the first part of a project that will eventually cover the entire storyline, so I'm pretty sure this is a full-scale reboot like you wanted. I know Berserk still has a long way to go, but it's going to take a LONG time for the animation to even catch up to the current volumes of the manga (assuming they don't pack entire arcs into a single movie). They haven't said whether the project is going to be a series of movies or if they are doing the movie first to jump-start a new anime series to continue with the rest of the story. They've released a picture of Puck and Skull Knight is in one of the previews I linked, so I'm feeling pretty confident that we aren't going to see a mere rehash of the original anime with updated art.

Regardless of what comes after the initial movie, if they are really intending on covering the whole story this project better have one hell of a budget.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:15 AM
finished mobile suit gundam 0079. loved the animation, music and the characters. hayato was probably my favourite of the bunch. top 5 anime. on to zeta now

9/10

Old 02-06-2011, 06:51 AM
Watched the first half dozen episodes of Wolf's Rain and gave up, love the soundtrack but everything else just wasn't interesting. Finished Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, now that's a fun series. Onto Black Lagoon next.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:02 AM
i started watching darker than black again. this time i will stick with it
Old 02-18-2011, 05:22 PM
finished watching darker than black, amazing series! 9
great action, well written, good story, interesting characters. best anime series in last 5 years maybe
Old 02-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Glad you got through it. I loved the first part. Haven't gotten around to the sequel yet.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:01 AM
Since Bleach is about to go into a very lengthy filler arc, I've decided to catch up on some anime I've been meaning to. First up is High School Of The Dead. I'm only 2 episodes in but so far, highly enjoying it. Zombies+Scantly Clad Woman+Lots of Blood=Win.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Quote:
Haven't gotten around to the sequel yet.
want
Old 02-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Zombies+Scantly Clad Woman+Lots of Blood=Win.
That show had a little too much fan-service for me... quit after 4 episodes. If something awesome happens, let us know.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:27 PM
half way through neon genesis evangelion. shinji is cool

that asuka is a royal pain