Old 03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
I am currently 23 episodes into "Sailor Moon." Got the whole show on DVD at a horror movie convention last year and have been saving it for the right time to watch. And feeling completely burned out of watching and reviewing horror movies, this is the best possible change of pace.

Saw the show as a kid in the 1990's and was re-introduced to it on YouTube in 2006. It was the most amazing and wonderful nostalgia ever. It was also the most difficult nostalgia to get over. Catching all 200 shows on YouTube is a bit much. Part of the magic is just Sailor Mercury. I'm in love with her and what she represents. She's nice, friendly, sweet, loving, adoring, smart and shy. She was one of a few TV crushes growing up (including Mary Ingalls/Melissa Sue Anderson from "Little House On The Prairie"; same characteristics). Part of me really wants to meet my Sailor Mercury, whoever and where ever she is.

Question for fans who have seen all of, or much of, the show. Does Sailor Moon ever grow up and stop being a crybaby?

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 03-14-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
I am currently 23 episodes into "Sailor Moon." Got the whole show on DVD at a horror movie convention last year and have been saving it for the right time to watch. And feeling completely burned out of watching and reviewing horror movies, this is the best possible change of pace.

Saw the show as a kid in the 1990's and was re-introduced to it on YouTube in 2006. It was the most amazing and wonderful nostalgia ever. It was also the most difficult nostalgia to get over. Catching all 200 shows on YouTube is a bit much. Part of the magic is just Sailor Mercury. I'm in love with her and what she represents. She's nice, friendly, sweet, loving, adoring, smart and shy. She was one of a few TV crushes growing up (including Mary Ingalls/Melissa Sue Anderson from "Little House On The Prairie"; same characteristics). Part of me really wants to meet my Sailor Mercury, whoever and where ever she is.

Question for fans who have seen all of, or much of, the show. Does Sailor Moon ever grow up and stop being a crybaby?
Sailor Moon is so long, as there are so many offshoots of it. The core series is great, and while Sailor Moon does get better as the show goes on (particularly once the drama with Darien is resolved) and she becomes incredibly powerful, I always found her to be the weak link among the scouts.

I agree with you on Mercury. She was always my favorite.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Now 40 episodes in. If it gets better as it goes along, that's good a sign, because I have overall enjoyed the first portion. Some really moving subplots concerning romance between the humans and evil forces. I imagine that Sailor Moon has to grow up a little bit and feel more confident as a princess warrior at some point. Otherwise, her childish schtick would get really old. She may be the weak link no matter how you look at it, and that may be the point. All about seeing her grow into a leader she is destined to be.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Almost done with Season 3 of "Sailor Moon" and past the halfway point. It is quite different seeing a show with forty-odd episodes per season. Every season seems a little drawn-out with some silly epiosodes, but I continue to enjoy it quite a bit. The finales to the first two seasons are amazing. So amazing, I cried. This show can be emotionally stirring at times.

I remember catching a Mercury-themed episode more than once in the `90's and always looking forward to watching it. She might have had to move away from the group or something. Didn't have to wait too long before finding that episode in Season 2. It turned out she had an opportunity to study abroad in Germany and naturally turned it down to stay with her friends. She can always study harder to become a doctor. I love Mercury, but am starting to get over her. She is essentially a supporting character with her own episode from time to time, just like the three other supporting girls. I can see how other guys/fans may have seen her as a boring character and may have been more interested in any of the other girls. My Sailor Mercury, if she's out there, doesn't have to be a brainiac who studies all time. Just so long as she's nice, sweet and a "behind-the-scenes" kind of person like myself.

Sailor Moon does become more powerful and cries a little bit less over time. Yet, she is supposed to grow up into an elegant Queen. Looking forward to seeing how that goes about. The first two seasons are pretty amazing. I watch some episodes when I get home from work and before I go to bed. It is a nice arrangement. But I am slowing down more with Season 3. May stop after 3 or finish out with 4 and 5. It would be more fitting to see the whole series in one shot.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 03-31-2012 at 07:51 PM..
Old 04-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Nukem View Post
But I am slowing down more with Season 3. May stop after 3 or finish out with 4 and 5. It would be more fitting to see the whole series in one shot.
I think I stopped during season 3. I really enjoyed season 1, and Rini annoyed me a lot in season 2. I never really got into season 3 for some reason.

It's a show that offers a lot more than meets the eye. I have friends who love anime but won't watch it because it's too "girly" but it really has great characters and wonderful relationships. It dragged a bit too much for me (but honestly, any anime more than 26 episodes drags, including the fantastic Full Metal Alchemist and Monster) but overall it was very enjoyable.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I wound up stopping with Season 3 after all. Started watching Season 4 and was no longer interested. The on-going story and the new villians felt very familiar. For the first time, it began to feel childish (why is Chibi-Usa still sticking around?). The first three seasons are enough. The Sailor Warriors literally saved the world in all three of them. How much more epic can the show become?

Season 1 is amazing. I think Rini is supposed Chibi-Usa's English name in the dubbed version, right? Sailor Moon's daughter from the future? Yes, she was annoying. But Season 2 was still amazing, with or without her. It led to an incredible finale. I suppose Season 3 began and felt less epic after the first two seasons. But halfway through, it changes gears and becomes a lot more interesting.

It also didn't help that Season 4 was only available as an English dub (with, fortunately, the option of viewing the alternate English subtitles). Why do this in a boxset with Seasons 1-2-3-5 available in their original language? After being blessed with three seasons featuring the beautiful Japanese language and optional subtitles to read, you can't go back. Such shrill voice work in Season 4, especially Sailor Moon's. Makes me wonder how I got into show in the `90's when it was dubbed and butchered.

But Subtitled or dubbed, my interest had faded. Whatever power the show had on me for so long, it has finally passed. And you're right. That says something about a "simple" and "girly" show. There is more to it than meets the eye of your conventional cartoon.

Last edited by Duke Nukem; 04-19-2012 at 07:21 PM..
Old 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Bump.

I finally got around to watching the Berserk movie, Egg of the High King. Basically, it's a retelling, updated version of the Berserk anime and is planned to be the first of several Berserk movies that more accurately portray the manga than the original anime.

Let me say a couple of things, first. Berserk is my favorite anime series ever. The Golden Age Arc, to me, is the best comic arc I've read. It's better than both my favorite manga stories (Akira, Kenshin's Revenge Arc) and better than American comics I've read (Dark Phoenix Saga, Watchmen, Winter Soldier, etc.). And, although I haven't read the Game of Thrones books, I think I enjoy the Dark Fantasy of Berserk more than the Game of Th rones tv show. So obviously, I take anything Berserk-related very seriously.

That said, this movie was a disappointment. The beauty of Berserk is the growth in the relationship between the characters. Specifically, Guts and Griffith, who remain two of my favorite characters in anything. The movie is about 75 minutes and covers so much material that we don't actually get to see the relationship develop in a meaningful, believable way. It really hurts the story. This particular movie ends at the point where Guts reacts to Griffith saying no one in his army is his friend. It lacked the power that it should have had, because it didn't show exactly how much Guts and Griffith went through together, and how they've both grown because of the other's influence.

On the other hand, I had two big complaints about the Berserk anime. First was the animation. While the art was incredibly detailed and beautiful, the fight scenes were pretty static: almost like pages taken from the manga and just colored in. It was good to see the combat here modernized. The animation is swift and the battles are more engaging. However, some poorly chosen CGI bothered me.

The other problem I had with the anime was the first episode, which pretty much told us what eventually happens between Griffith and Guts. I think the impact of the Eclipse would've been much stronger if we didn't know it was going to happen. This movie skips that and goes straight to the flashback, which is wonderful.

In the end, while I welcome the animation and the more focused story telling, I just can't get over how little characterization there is. And that's why I love Berserk in the first place. For example, Judou is one of my favorite secondary characters in any anime. I'm not even sure if they call him by name in this movie. It's really more eye candy for people who already are familiar with Berserk (so we don't need details on characters' histories, relationships, or the particulars about how Griffith's rise to fame bothered all of the nobles) but want to see it with modernized art.

7/10

EDIT: another thing I do appreciate is that, so far, it's not as brutal as the manga. Granted, we didn't get to the real gross stuff (like the Devil Dogs) but Berserk is one of the most uncomfortably mature manga I've read. I skip certain pages just because it's so graphically sexual or violent. This movie, while certainly bloody, doesn't quite reach the graphic nature of the manga. I hope that continues.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 07-17-2012 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM
^
shame that it's disappointing

i'm on One Piece ep 105. a few years ago, i never would have thought i'd be into this style, Shonen Jump. i think it was Trigun that paved the way

my fav most recent releases include Redline and Darker Than Black Series 2

i watched a fantastic film called Night On The Galactic Railroad last week. it was a film about cats
Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Yeah the Berserk movie wasn't what I hoped it would be. However, like I said, it's only the first in a series of movies that retell the manga. The Golden Age Arc is going to be split into 3 movies, so hopefully there is more development down the road. This one ended where Guts overheard Griffith saying they're not really friends, so there are two more movies to cover the final battles, Guts' leaving, Griffith's fall, the Dogs (which was skipped in the anime), and the Eclipse. It's a lot of material to cram into 3 movies. If you estimate that a movie is worth 3 episodes (which is generous), then 3 movies is the equivalent of 9 episodes. Meanwhile, the original series, which covered less material as it skipped some manga stuff, was 26 episodes. The pacing just isn't going to work.

If you're into Shonen stuff, I strongly recommend Bleach and Rurouni Kenshin (particularly the Trust & Betrayal OVA, which is my favorite piece of anime) if you haven't seen them. I always dug Shonen material as being fun and having good, overarching stories. The only problem is the filler. Bleach has some absolutely, God-awful filler arcs. The entire third act of Rurouni Kenshin can be skipped because it's flat out garbage. One Piece has similar shortcomings from what I've heard. I personally believe of all the TV series, Bleach's Soul Society arc is the best Shonen Jump has to offer. Most people would probably say Death Note (which, amazingly, was in Shonen Jump) but I find it overrated. Others might say Dragonball Z's Frieza arc, but it just doesn't age well and the action is nowhere near as exciting as Bleach.

The only reason I didn't get into One Piece, either the anime or the manga, is that there doesn't seem to be an ending in site. Bleach's manga recently started it's final arc, so at least there's an ending on the horizon. Once I'm told One Piece is coming to an end, I'll definitely get into it. It was the same with Inuyasha, which I ended up enjoying much more than I thought I ever would, thanks to a strong supporting cast and a story that surprisingly didn't include most Shonen cliches.

I never saw Night on the Galactic Railroad. I know it's an older movie. Probably should add it to my list since I'm more inclined to watch movies now than tv shows.

Last edited by Darth Kenshin; 07-19-2012 at 12:27 PM..
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM
New Sailor Moon series announced

"The idol group Momoiro Clover Z, publisher Kodansha, and creator Naoko Takeuchi announced on Friday that a new anime adaptation of Takeuchi's Sailor Moon manga is being produced. The new anime series is aimed for release next summer, and Momoiro Clover Z will perform a theme song.

Momoiro Clover Z made the announcement during a live event celebrating the 20th anniversary of the manga. Momoiro Clover Z sang the first Sailor Moon anime's theme song "Moonlight Densetsu" at the event via a live video feed from France, where they are guests of Japan Expo."

SOURCE
Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Curious about the new Sailor Moon, but honestly I just feel the story stagnated after Season 1 (which actually holds up surprisingly well, even today).

Not sure if there's anything left to explore that I'd be interested in, but I'll give it a shot.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Impresive trailer for "Attack on Titan", an upcoming anime series based on the manga of the same title.

-TRAILER-

The manga is pretty good, I'm looking forward for the series.

Last edited by Dead Halloween; 12-14-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM
Have of you watched death note it is a pretty good anieme.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Kenshin View Post
Curious about the new Sailor Moon, but honestly I just feel the story stagnated after Season 1 (which actually holds up surprisingly well, even today).

Not sure if there's anything left to explore that I'd be interested in, but I'll give it a shot.
I have whatched the intire sailor series plus the series goes under several titles
Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Halloween View Post
Impresive trailer for "Attack on Titan", an upcoming anime series based on the manga of the same title.

-TRAILER-

The manga is pretty good, I'm looking forward for the series.
Hoping it hooks me. I've been in anime/manga withdrawal. Not been able to get into anything new, so I just end up revisiting classic movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondgirl View Post
Have of you watched death note it is a pretty good anieme.
Death Note is one of the most revered anime/manga of the 2000s. Personally, I thought it was a missed opportunity. I felt that Light went from "anti-hero" to "villain" when he killed the investigator early on. At that point, he lost all credibility and moral high ground. I thought it could've been more thought provoking if Light nemaintained some respectability.

I also felt it went on a bit too long. But given its popularity, I'm surprised they didn't milk it even more.