Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 AM
What was so great about the 2000's? Borrowed!

Were the 2000's really that great of a decade? You decide!

Personal opinions: (offense not meant to be taken)

Views of moderates:

Borrowed:

Postive:
A few nice movies/shows/albums, lots of nice video games, but ruined by:

Negative:

Bad Economy
Bad Cars
Bad Celebrity Deaths (even worse than the 1990s!)
Bloated & Campy like the 80's -- but the 80's were more fun!
The Demolition of many nice buildings that were replaced with ugly new ones.
Windows Vista
The Simpsons -- This should have been cancelled during 1996 at the very latest when the popularity and ratings started going down.
9/11
The Birth of the Soapbox
Michael Score issuing some lame-ass re-recordings of his greatest hits

See, that's why I'm glad the sucky 2000s are over! Just because some of these have been happening for decades and will continue for decades is no excuse!

Me:

Positive/Mixed/Negative:

Many girls started growing their long hair back like how girls had long hair in the 70's.

In the 90's they were going bull-dike like mad butchering it. But, unlike the 70's this time too many were too thin.

Positive (for me)/ABC homicide news-story Negative for Joan Crawford fans:

The popularity of the 1981 Razzie Winner "Mommie Dearest" continues to grow on many college campuses as entertainment.

Negative:

The continuing of increasing weight gain all across the land.

Negative/Mixed/Positive:

Health clubs: some have gone to pure Hell. Some nice equipment introduced this decade like the $200 mini-rebounder with workout DVD's.

Slight Negative/Mixed/Postive:

Clothes & sunglasses (depending; not as bad as the 80's and maybe mixed with the 90's. The 90's were better for certain things as guys started getting butch-dike haircuts and doing crazy things this decade).

Mixed:

Some good tv shows, but I don't even know if I could compile a top 50 movie list like I can for some past decades. Some good Action/Drama shows!

Negative:

Mostly awful for sitcoms and comedies. I can create a list from the 50's-90's of a good dozen sitcoms combined.

Saturday Night live is worse than '75-'80;'86-'92 (the last period of time anyone watched as this is when Toonces, The Church Lady, Wayne's World, It's Pat all started to exit... Ratings haven't been "gold" in any way since. So many wonder how it's still on the air due to its lackluster ratings?)

Negative:

Serious Horror revived again (after the '89-90's drought; some think this drought started in 1984 -- movies past that were very campy and like comedies), but most of it was just a worst version of the 70's and 80's. Tons of awful remakes that made mediocre films look much better than they were. Some reviewers are even going back to redo their older reviews of 80's slashers. Example: Friday the 13th '80 was always blasted in the 80's; now it has a weak fresh rating. Many reviewers now feel this decade managed to do the impossible! It made the 80's look good.

Postive:

I'll agree on video games. At least I can do a list on this. Kingdom Hearts, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Donkey Konga... I'm varied on games I like all across the board.

Huge Negative:

Bad for Ebay sellers:

The economy was shot compared to the mid-late 90's. Example: Ebay is worse than it ever was in the 90's due to so much trash joining. It always had problems even then, but it's worse now... It's turned into a trashy version of Walmart and a garage sale --maybe worse. The Beanie Baby market that was huge in the late 90's crashed and burned. Many collectible stores shut down all over our town. All the higher end Disney collectibles crashed. Many of the holiday collectibles crashed. Not one store is left and there were 6 of them. So much on Ebay crashed and it was taken over by the lower beings.

Negative:

Going into computers became a huge fad after the late 90's; this was the thing to do back then.

Negative:

The death of Myspace! Well, almost...

Negative:

The continued hollowing out of Disney (which really started when Walt Disney died) -- all the direct Disney sequels to the Disney classic line; the destruction of the Disney channel (this started in 1996 when idiots in management took it off its premium status). The 90's still produced a few Disney Classics and the 2000's didn't. Disney World continues to be turned into a wasteland.

Mixed/Heavy Negative views:

The reality TV takeover. Majority are trash, but a few are entertaining trash.

Mixed:

I liked parts of Bill Clinton in the 90's. But, since I'm moderate, not all of him. I'm big on the founding fathers. Personal opinion.

Negative:

Bush Jr. & Obama! Personal opinion.

Positive:

Good decade for private educational help starting around 2004.

Good decade for student tutoring as so much software, books, DVD's, etc., became available this decade. You couldn't get the same private education in the 80's (and not great in the 90's) that you could in this decade. Due to so much help becoming available especially starting in the mid-2000's.

The Math Tutor DVD series -- Pre-school-mid College!

The best teachers around the country writing laymen books this decade for many subjects.

Learning Spanish Like Crazy... Online help continues to grow...

and the list goes on...

Mixed:

As a film fan, this decade has been good for certain genres and bad for others...

------------------------

Huh? Ha ha ha...

Confused -- Mind burst, but I suppose it's valid:

Passion of the Christ now "officially" labeled a Holiday slasher? Maybe Platinum Dunes should remake!

As the years go on... Passion of the Christ is being included in the holiday slasher line more and more... it's even in a few of our filming books on campus now -- labeled as a holiday slasher.

The time has come folks: As of "2009/2010" Passion of the Christ is now an "official" Holiday slasher film in press! And we were warned of this in 2004...

Thoughts?

Slasher Films - Uncyclopedia, the content-free encyclopedia
Slasher films make up a subcategory, or sub-genre, of horror fiction, ... Happy Birthday To Me | Halloween | Passion of the Christ | Friday the 13th | Scream | Bloody New Year ...

True Light® | Other Views - The Passion of the Christ
This was not the Passion of Christ, it was the torture of Christ. Personally, I don't watch slasher films. I was offended that this 'movie' was billed as a ...

Amazing Schlock Film Factory | The Slasher
There are five basic types of Slashers as I see it: the Common Slasher, ..... otherwise The Passion of the Christ should have been on the cover of Fangoria. ...

Slasher Risk - スラシア リス ...
The Passion of Vanilla Christ ... Here, Slasher Risk seem to be performing ironic rock music, namely mocking the most exaggerated and cliché rock-moves ...

Daughter of Jephthah: a Biblical Slasher story? | Lynnjynh9315 on ...
... of slasher-films and uber-violent video games like God of War while simultaneously praising such equally violent films like "The Passion of the Christ". ...

"Kill Bill" versus "The Passion of the Christ" reviewed by Steve ...
... of someday finding girlfriends cool enough to like slasher flicks too. ... I don't think I would have the mania to make The Passion of the Christ, ...

The Passion of the Christ and Club Dread - The Filthy Critic
The Passion of the Christ is based on the best-selling book of all time. .... theyíve simply gone out and made another *beep* slasher movie and used comedy ...

The Passion of the Christ - FILM REVIEW; Good and ...
Feb 25 '09 ... ''The Passion of the Christ'' is so relentlessly focused on the ... the mood shifts from horror-movie suspense to slasher-film dread. ...

Last edited by waterslideguy; 04-05-2010 at 07:51 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, the 2000's really were not good times.

We had fake growth, economic wise, during this period. You cannot make minimum wage, or low wages, and expect to have everything.

It was a time where we seemed to really lack common sense. We spent like there was no tomorrow, and it backfired on many people.

Music really went downhill. Movies had ups and downs, too many remakes though.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Ugh, I fucking HATED the 2000's. Sure, we had some amazing movies and music - but there are two very contrasting ends to that spectrum, and with this great spike in quality also came a REALLY big downfall. Television has never been BETTER these past 10 years, with the rise of such amazing shows like The Sopranos, The West Wing, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, Carnivale, Deadwood, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, 24, Lost, and so many more. TV soared to new hights this past decade - but it also sunk too new lows, and Television has also never been WORSE these past 10 years, with the onslaught of all things "Reality TV", from Big Brother to The Simple Life to Jersey Shore to every Z-list celebrity who had their own "reality show". Really dismal, lowest-of-the-low stuff. Also sucky this decade was the official DEATH of MTV. Seriously, do they even SHOW music videos on there anymore, or just the worst TV shows ever conceived?

On the cultural scale, once again a contrasting divison. On the one hand, the rise in popularity and global, universal spread of the internet has led to "geek culture" finally taking center stage in the global society. Comic book movies are the most successful blockbusters these days, and now that many more people are plugged into the culture, being a "geek" is no longer such a socially unacceptable thing. That said, this decade and the internet in particular, via MySpace, Youtube and various other outlets, also lead to the growth of one of the most annoying, fake, poser-y sub-culture ever to plague society: EMO. Seriously, does anyone actually like ANYTHING about this culture? The clothes? The image? The music? The fake whining? The bullshit, hypocritical "ooh look at me, I'm so depressed and alone, but look at my thousand of MySpace friends" mindset. Bullshit.

Politically, this decade sucked, but I don't think it was any worse than, say, the 70's. The rise of global terror is certainly a bitch, with attacks like 9/11, London Underground, Madrid, etc becoming a much larger threat than ever. There was a bullshit war that nobody actually thinks was a good idea in retrospect, but on the other end of the spectrum, you have apocalyptic prophets like Ahmadinejad or Kim Jong-Il calling out for mass-destruction. In short, nothing new under the sun in terms of global politics.

That's all I got for now, but I may be back for more.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
t'was an awful decade! hated every second of it, surprised i didn't top myself
Old 04-05-2010, 03:30 PM
I thought of something else about this great decade: It was the years of ENTITLEMENTS.

So, we go to work, pay our taxes, while others sit at home and collect our tax money to pay their bills. Then, they are rewarded by having many kids, who in turn do the same thing their parents did. Yes, this has always been there, but it seems to have really grew this past decade, and gotten out of control.

My anger lately is the result of seeing people sitting around and doing nothing to help themselves. This group of people includes my friends, who all have college degrees, and sit around playing video games, collecting unemployment checks, along with getting food stamps and free medical. None have even looked for jobs.

As for MTV, they need a name change. If you go by Music Television, you should play music, or at least based your shows around music. I remember when this was the network that helped get new acts names out there, and you could find good music.

The first few reality shows were fine, but then copycats came along with minor twists. I just found out that the Real World is still on the air. I thought it was fun when it first started, but it is the same damn show just repeating itself now. Jersey Shore, what I have seen of it which is very little, felt like a complete copy.

The sad thing is that these shows perform well, while good shows perform lously. I think it goes with our short attention spans these days. This past decade, we have become a population that needs answers to questions in a second, it cannot be drawn out for a long time. Take Lost, it was a huge ratings show, and then people learned you had to watch it every week, or lose out on important information. It still does well, but nowhere near the numbers it used to do.

I miss the 90s.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post
I miss the 90s.
Ditto that. I mean, who needs this pesky internet thing anyway? We were fine without it back then! Dial-up FTW! And cell phones... don't even get me STARTED.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe1985 View Post

I miss the 90s.
the early 90's were outstanding, then it went to shit around 98
Old 04-05-2010, 04:32 PM
As Monotreme said, TV this decade has been superior in many ways. but as he also said TV has became inferior in many other ways. But I personally feel that TV in the 00's, the right TV...has been nothing short of Perfection.

I find myself caring more and more everyday about TV shows rather than Movies. I'm sorry, but good films this decade have been few and far between. Hollywood really has went to shit, more and more remakes/reimagining's and pointless sequels are slowly killing my love for film. There are only a handfull people who still make artistic films...everyone else is fueled by $$$$.

I still love movies, mostly. But atm, TV is my priority.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
For a brief period in 2000, bell bottom jeans were fashionable again. WTF was up with that?

What I like about the 2000's is that it seems like people can pick and choose what kind kind of age they want to pretend to live in...like, some people still listen to Nirvana and dress all grunge and stuff, some people dress like hippies and have dreads and bandannas and play hackey sack. But a basic pair of nice blue jeans will never go out of style, folks!

So what brings us ALL together? Pot, I think.

These are good times, I think. And if it all doesn't go to hell then I think times will get even better. I know it sounds stupid, but I hope to live long enough to see things look all futuristic and have flying cars and all that shit. Look at how much technology has developed since most of us have been born, say 20-30 years...it's amazing. And give another 30 years, who knows what is possible.

And just one more thing. A lot of people can be really bitchy about how to pronounce the year we live in now: 2010. Most people will say "It's pronounced Twenty Ten. End of fucking argument" But I personally love saying "Two Thousand and Ten because it sounds like I'm from the future.

If I had a Hot Tub Time Machine, I would travel back 20 years and tell random people: "Hello, my name is Derek. I am from the year Two Thousand and Ten and I am following David Lynch on Twitter" and see their reactions.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek237 View Post
And just one more thing. A lot of people can be really bitchy about how to pronounce the year we live in now: 2010. Most people will say "It's pronounced Twenty Ten. End of fucking argument" But I personally love saying "Two Thousand and Ten because it sounds like I'm from the future.

If I had a Hot Tub Time Machine, I would travel back 20 years and tell random people: "Hello, my name is Derek. I am from the year Two Thousand and Ten and I am following David Lynch on Twitter" and see their reactions.
Classic. I would TOTALLY see a movie like that. Also, I usually say "two thousand and ten", but I'm trying to regulate myself to "twenty ten". It sounds more contemporary.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Other things that happended in the 00's were:
1.The death of saturday morning cartoons.
2.The death of pinball and arcade cabinets.
3.Smartphones becoming the new cyberdrug.
4.The rise of a possible new iron curtain(i.e. Venezuela, North Korea, Iran, etc.)
5.People after 25 don't get married instead they prefer to have a pet as their soulmate.
6.MILFs
7.Twilight-shit-o-rama
8.Gaming is better than sex.

On the personal side my grandfather passed away due to Alzheimer's disease but there were only two positive things that happened in the 00's; becoming an uncle for the first time and earning two black belt degrees in tae kwon do. I have a bad feeling that the 10's will be even awful.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
Ditto that. I mean, who needs this pesky internet thing anyway? We were fine without it back then! Dial-up FTW! And cell phones... don't even get me STARTED.
We did have patience for things back then. But, there are more things than technology. Sure, technology got better, much better, but the impact it gave, not as much.

Sometimes, less is more. People were fine with what they had. Sure, they wanted more, but you did not see them going out and buying things like crazy. Family meant a lot more. Now, family means little, and it is about what new gadget you got, who has the bigger house/car, really it is just greed now. Yes, there was some back then, but it has really gotten out of control.

Plus, I remember when you could trust your neighbors. I remember when my one neighbor got laid off from work, everyone in the neighborhood helped him locate a job, gave his family food, and money. The main reason was that his wife was sick at the time too. Today, forget that, that is your problem.

We are more about me, and not enough about everyone else. Not saying we should give stuff to people, but we should be willing to help each other out without expecting money in return, just a favor.

I feel like my grandparents.

I am eager to see what the coming years bring. We can't do much worse than the 00's. I am better off financially now than I was during any of the Bush's years, not to get too political.

Last edited by shoe1985; 04-06-2010 at 08:48 AM..
Old 04-06-2010, 10:39 AM
Yeah the 2000s were terrible, most of the details were covered here. The 90's was my shit! Now that was a good fuckin' decade especially since it spanned my high school and early college years.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:53 AM
My personal favorite thing about the 2000's is that anybody can make a movie. You don't have to move to LA or spend thousands of dollars on film. Instead you can use that money to put together an entire movie studio in your friggin basement. And distribution? Youtube, vimeo blip.tv, etc. etc. Hell, you can make your own DVD's and artwork! And there are COUNTLESS film festivals that you can submit to on top of all that. Unfamiliar with the craft? DVD's have commentaries, filmmakers have wikipedia entries who source books and movies that educated them.

Although it has opened the door to shitty films, I think it's worth it. The digital revolution within the filmmaking community mirrors the silent era of Hollywood. People armed only with what their hard earned cash can buy are doing their best to become a new generation of filmmakers.

That's all I have to say about the 2000's.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Servo View Post
My personal favorite thing about the 2000's is that anybody can make a movie. You don't have to move to LA or spend thousands of dollars on film. Instead you can use that money to put together an entire movie studio in your friggin basement. And distribution? Youtube, vimeo blip.tv, etc. etc. Hell, you can make your own DVD's and artwork! And there are COUNTLESS film festivals that you can submit to on top of all that. Unfamiliar with the craft? DVD's have commentaries, filmmakers have wikipedia entries who source books and movies that educated them.

Although it has opened the door to shitty films, I think it's worth it. The digital revolution within the filmmaking community mirrors the silent era of Hollywood. People armed only with what their hard earned cash can buy are doing their best to become a new generation of filmmakers.

That's all I have to say about the 2000's.
This unfortunately that has watered down visual entertainment to the point where everyone is under the ocean so-to-speak. How much more improbable is it for someone to actually be discovered than it was before Youtube? Its like being a drop of water in that ocean. How many new Youtube videos are uploaded a second? Added to the fact that there is so little profit as a result of this than ever before.