Old 04-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Subtitled Movies

Some of my favorite movies are subtitled, here are some I would recommend you see.

Oldboy (2003)
After being kidnapped and imprisoned for 15 years, Oh Dae-Su is released, only to find that he must find his captor in 5 days. Honestly If you have never seen this movie then please try and find it, the movie has an outstanding plot and has been shot beautifully. If anyone has seen this movie please tell me what you thought of it.

House of Flying Daggers (2004)
A romantic police captain breaks a beautiful member of a rebel group out of prison to help her rejoin her fellows, but things are not what they seem. anything by Yimou Zhang movies are always classics but this is one of my favourites.

Ong Bak (2003)
When the head of a statue sacred to a village is stolen, a young martial artist goes to the big city and finds himself taking on the underworld to retrieve it. The film that started Tony Jaa's career as the next bruce lee. The fight scenes have been choreographed brilliantly and Tony is so talented.

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
In the fascist Spain of 1944, the bookish young stepdaughter of a sadistic army officer escapes into an eerie but captivating fantasy world. Guillermo del Toro is such a talented director and writer the world he creates is both dark and extremly beautiful.

I would like to hear some of your favourites if you have any.

Last edited by keyroon; 04-04-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 04-04-2010, 03:18 PM
I don't really mind subtitled films, I don't see them any different from normal films. Here's some of my favorite subtitled films

Oldboy (2003) (was my favorite film at one point. You can tell by my username.)

[.rec] (2007)

Let the Right One In (2008)

Kill Bill (2003,2004) (It counts!)

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

These are just the main ones I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
There used to be a whole forum dedicated exclusively to foreign films... nobody around here actually differentiates between films in foreign languages and films in English. And there are so many good ones that it almost seems redundant to post a list here. From Metropolis through Bicycle Thieves, 400 Blows, 8 1/2, Solyaris, Kurosawa's entire filmography, Ingmar Bergman, Studio Ghibli, the films of Werner Herzog, Wings of Desire, La Haine, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Wong Kar-Wai, Amelie, City of God, Motorcycle Diaries, Pedro Almodovar, Michael Haneke... foreign films have always proven themselves to be excellent and often superior to American productions. I personally like pretty much everything I mentioned above - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:35 PM
I've got no problem with subtitles. I own several foreign flicks on DVD that are subtitled, including 3 Kurosawa movies, Pan's Labrynth; Brotherhood of the Wolf; Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon; Shaolin Soccer; and a few others I'm probably forgetting.

What I can't stand are movies that are dubbed in English. The dubbing takes me right out of the movie.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:04 PM
^ I watch dubs quite often because I watch a lot of movies with my stepdad who has a lot of similar tastes as I do but also happens to have severe dyslexia. I own roughly 300 subtitled films, half of which I've probably watched with him by this point and the quality is rarely ever anything even close to it's original counterpart.

As Monotreme pointed out, any attempts at a list would be redundant, but I will say that Fanny and Alexander is one of my absolute favorite films ever. (The last subbed film I watched was Come and See, which was incredible.)
Old 04-04-2010, 08:17 PM
"Passion Of The Christ" with it's subtitles was one a few I wasn't annoyed at reading along with.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Amelie (how was this not mentioned yet?!?!)

Irreversable (i actually enjoy this movie and have seen 5+ times)

Pan's Labyrinth (LOVE this movie but have not seen it in a long time due to one of my friends "borrowing" it)

and of course i LOATHE when a movie is dubbed, for example, Let the Right One in and more recently Ong Bok 2. The only one i can deal with is The Good The Bad and The Ugly for obvious reasons

Last edited by Bahs; 04-04-2010 at 09:01 PM..
Old 04-04-2010, 09:43 PM
It seems like most or all Italian movies from that era were dubbed, even in their original language. Most of Fellini's films are dubbed in Italian and often in a really obvious way; watching 8 1/2 especially, a lot of the times the lips don't match up at all to the dialogue.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM
I own and watch a lot of subtitled movies. One of them is Curse Of The Golden Flower.

This is the only subtitled film I own that has very difficult subbies to read. They are very small, very quickly vanish, and are very bright lettered.

It makes the film difficult to follow at times. But I still like the movie.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:58 PM
Some of my fav.
Pan's Labyrth
Hard Boiled
Battle Royale
Passion of Christ
Letters of Iwa Jima
Old 04-05-2010, 12:52 AM
If you really want to know what is going on in the mind of a great film director? This would be the film...

http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62762
http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134281
Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahs View Post
Amelie (how was this not mentioned yet?!?!)
I mentioned it.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I think it's a bit ridiculous when people treat foreign films like they're from another planet. It's a shame the amount of fantastic films that most people are missing out on simply because they "don't like reading subtitles".

I agree with most of the films listed above.. Amelie is such a fantastic, charming film, I can watch it any time. I am shamefully behind on seeing Kurosawa's filmography. I've only seen Ikiru, which was great.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------^
Mamoru Oshii
Akira Kurosawa
Hayao Miyazaki (& everything else from Studio Ghibli)
Takashi Miike
Takeshi Kitano
Katsuhiro Otomo
Isao Takahata
Lone Wolf And Cub 1-6
City Of Lost Children

Could go on but then I'd be here for ages.

Last edited by Cronos; 04-05-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Old 04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Thats so true sbunn10, about 80% of my friends and family won't watch any film with subtitles just because it annoys them *sigh*
Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Original Language with subs... the ONLY way to watch a flick NOT in your first language.

Mind you, I can handle French flicks dubbed, cause I HATE the sound of the French language.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred760 View Post
What I can't stand are movies that are dubbed in English. The dubbing takes me right out of the movie.
I agree, except in the case of old kung fu and exploitation films, it adds to the experience.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Sin Nobre...bad ass movie