Old 04-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Movies that Defined the Decade ('00-'09)

When you think about what movies defined the 60s/70s/80s/90s, plenty of examples come to mind almost immediately.

What about the last decade? Not necessarily significant to the craft/cinema (actually preferably not), but more in the realm of what defined us culturally/socially/etc.

My first three ideas Matrix (reliance and possible overwhelming of technology), Fight Club (revolt against consumerism and metrosexuality and the pent up aggression of stifled individuals), and American Pie (sexualized teenage years/desenstize towards youth sex).

I find that they really do define the last decade, only problem is they are from 1999.

I found it a little harder than I thought. I decided to keep thinking about the subject but wanted to throw out the topic to others.

Up in the Air is probably the most obvious one considering the downturn of the economy and the touchy subject matter of the film.

Black Hawk Down would be another. The concept of portraying our soldiers as flawed yet brave heroes in a horrible situation definitely defines the decades look at war. Much in the same way Sands of Iwo Jima (i think I have the right movie) with the unstoppable American soldier winning WWII and The Deer Hunter with its pyschologically scarred soldiers and seventh level of hell type war mirrors those decades attitudes as well.
Old 04-17-2010, 01:13 AM
I'm pretty sure we did some thread like this before - I think in regards to an EW article. I'd say the movies that most defined the decade are:

Gladiator
Spider Man 2
Brokeback Mountain
The 40 Year Old Virgin

Stuff like that.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I'd reply, but this thread topic sounds shockingly familiar, and I'm sure I've written about this subject before somewhere on these forums a few months ago... I guess it was the EW article Badbird mentioned. Try looking for that. I think I made a list of the films I personally felt defined the decade.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:03 AM
If you are talking about the "Best of..." thread, this is not the topic I am trying to put forth. I am talking about which ones represented the decade culturally/socially/etc.

It doesnt even necessarily have to be good, but it has to significantly characterize the decade.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Nono, I know. I'm not talking about the "best of" thread. I'm talking about the "EW top 10 movies that defined the decade" thread, which I just can't seem to find right now. Hopefully someone will come along and provide a link
Old 04-17-2010, 11:14 AM
So not this one
http://www.joblo.com/forums/showthre...ainment+weekly
Old 04-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
What about the last decade? Not necessarily significant to the craft/cinema (actually preferably not), but more in the realm of what defined us culturally/socially/etc.
I'd say most recently The Hurt Locker...not really that many flicks about the war in Iraq, at least not a lot of notable ones. But basically it was a movie that just showed support for soldiers out there without a lot of politics to it and more just about how war can make you feel like a bad ass and bring some excitement to your otherwise dull life. Or did I miss the message? I don't know. Good movie though and will probably go down as a classic, especially now that it has Oscar cred.

And hey: The Dark Knight. There's allegory there. You better fucking believe it. But a lot like the original Star Wars trilogy most people don't care that much about allegory simply because the movie is so awesome and reading into it too much can ruin it for people, especially if you take TDK as having serious right-wing messages. Might turn some people off.

Probably Avatar too. The environment is good. Something or other.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerealkiller182 View Post
Oh, yeah, it's that one Hm, not quite how I remembered it :P
Old 04-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek237 View Post
Probably Avatar too. The environment is good. Something or other.
This is the one cultural meme that has yet to really be presented well in cinema. Avatar? The Happening? 2012 (maybe)? Theres got to be a better movie that represents that

Its funny because another movie that came to me. Edtv that depicts how even arbitrary fame can be blown out of proportion and how audiences just eat up reality television, but again its from 1999. Id always gone under the notion that cinema reflected us, not set us up.

Last edited by cerealkiller182; 04-17-2010 at 11:25 AM..