Go Back   Movie Fan Central Discussion Forums > Movie Talk! > General Movie Talk
MOVIE FAN CENTRAL FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2010, 01:01 AM
Trailers that give away/show the endings/twists of films

Off the top of my head recent films like Drag Me to Hell
Spoiler:
When she gets dragged to hell. They could have easily used a shot from the opening of the film when the child is dragged to hell instead of showing THE final shot of the film.
& especially the recent Shutter Island...
Spoiler:
Dicaprio is hugging a body that turns to ash? He's obviously the mental patient. C'mon, what else could it mean?
I haven't even seen this yet but from some of the brief comments I've read it obviously happens at the end. When I first saw the trailer I thought that twist would be a revelation during the middle or middle end of the film, kinda like A Beautiful Mind. But alas it seems it won't. Whether or not this ruins/effects my viewing of the film or not is irrelevant. Why fucking show it? wtf??? Is one cool revealing shot in the trailers really going to entice the general public and make that much difference to the box office bottom line?

I'm still eager to see Shutter Island.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:29 PM
This is why I am staying away from just about everything having to do with Inception. I want to know as little as possible about it when I see it for the first time.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM
30 Days of Night and Surrogates are two that come to mind.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
The trailer for Quarantine was one of the more egregious examples...if I hadn't already seen REC, I'd be extremely annoyed.

The first trailer for Shutter Island is another example of poorly handling the reveal, whereas somebody I knew who never read the book leaned over and whispered what he thought the ending was...and got it right.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
The trailer for Quarantine was one of the more egregious examples...if I hadn't already seen REC, I'd be extremely annoyed.

The first trailer for Shutter Island is another example of poorly handling the reveal, whereas somebody I knew who never read the book leaned over and whispered what he thought the ending was...and got it right.
Thought the exact same thing about shutter island. I never read the book and easily guessed the ending. That really made me mad, because I was looking forward to some mystery in it. I'll probably still watch it though lol.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
The trailers for Terminator Salvation and Funny People show way too much of the movie.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:21 PM
and this is why I don't watch trailers online, and read my book through the ads and trailers at the cinema.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Thought the exact same thing about shutter island. I never read the book and easily guessed the ending. That really made me mad, because I was looking forward to some mystery in it. I'll probably still watch it though lol.
The movie is (and the book, for that matter) don't depend on not figuring out the ending. I'd argue that both the book and film give it away intentionally very early. I still wish the trailer didn't make it so obvious, but again, the story is about much bigger things than the twist (unlike shite like Usual Suspects...now THERE'S a predictable twist for you!).
Old 02-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Is this relating to before, or after you've seen the flick?

After would be:

[REC]/Quarantine - Pretty much same trailer. You can guess which scenes are the ending before seeing it, especially since the trailer is cut in sequence. But after you see it, you're almost pissed off they clearly gave away the ending.

Paranormal Activity - Again, they show a big shocker ending, but it's not 100% clear that it's the ending of the flick. But by the time the flick is winding down, and you haven't seen Micah get tossed into the camera, you know it's coming up.

Before:

Sixth Sense (even more glaring after) - I've been called a liar, and had "bullshit" called on me, but I stand by my call. Watching the trailer, it was clear that Bruce was a ghost. Watch the trailer. They show Bruce, they cut to Haley going, "I see dead people", they cut back to Bruce with this horrified look, then cue the "With a shocking twist you won't see coming". Then in the first, what, 5min of the flick Bruce is shot? Yea, that's called giving it away. Granted, it was well done, and had the trailer NOT given it away, it would probably have been a tough one to spot but... trailer failer.

One thing I HATE, is when the trailers always give away shock/scare moments. Take The Forgotten. They give away, what would have been some amazing shock moments in the trailer. WHY? The shots where people are "snatched up". And any movie where they have car driving, then getting sideswiped from the POV inside the car... always in the trailer, thus killing the shock moment. Trailers are pretty much all garbage, cause they ALL give away shit, and only get worse once the flick is released.

Best trailer EVER, is the unreleased trailer for TCM remake. If you have the DVD, you know which one I'm talking about.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Luckily, the twist really wasn't the point of Shutter Island, but I can see why some people would be pissed off. Many trailers do give away far too much. While I do enjoy trailers, I am a bigger fan of teaser trailers like Watchmen, A Clockwork Orange or 300, where it's basically just a montage of clips set to some awesome music. It doesn't give much away and satisfies the craving of wanting to get a glimpse of the look and feel of the film. That's how I think trailers should be for the most part.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 PM
A lot of times, the mere premise of the film itself is just predictable.

As for the trailers, I usually don't get too awful bothered by them. They could always be dreams, mirages, flashbacks, etc.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM
I think what I get more annoyed by is when trailers show scenes and sequences that do NOT show up in the movie. That really ticks me off especially when you are looking forward to that part.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Two recent examples I can think of...

The HANCOCK trailer not only showed every single funny part of the film, but it also gave away a key twist; granted, it was only on a couple of quick shots, but you didn't need to be a genius to know what was coming.

Spoiler:
That quick shot of a mean-looking Charlize Theron dressed in black with debris all around her pretty much gave away that she was superpowered as well.

There was a two-minute plus trailer for LEGION shown months ago that pissed me off because it gave away the entire movie, including all the deaths. Whoever made that shitty promo deserved to be shot.

Thankfully, I have avoided pretty much everything having to do with SHUTTER ISLAND, so I won't know anything about it going in.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Boy View Post
That trailer did give away the whole thing. Making it even easier was that that's about the 12th film in the last 10 years to use that twist.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arto_j View Post
That trailer did give away the whole thing. Making it even easier was that that's about the 12th film in the last 10 years to use that twist.
Spoiler:
All of these people are saying they figured out the twist to Shutter Island. BULLSHIT is what I say. Sure anyone could have easily guessed Leo was insane, but you're telling me that all of these people had the foresight to know that it was all an elaborate set=up to get Leo's character sane? No, I don't think so. Guessing that Leo is insane is NOT figuring out the twist...there's much more to it then that.

Also, I never once thought during the preview that Leo holding the lady who turns into ash was giving away any big plot points. To me I either thought a)ghost, or b) he's dreaming.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
Off the top of my head recent films like Drag Me to Hell
Uh, the trailer didn't give anything away that the TITLE itself hadn't already revealed.

Last edited by LordSimen; 02-23-2010 at 12:10 AM..
Old 02-23-2010, 01:24 AM
The entire trailer to Castaway.

The trailer told the entire story and even told you if he got off the island or not.

Pathetic.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smok3h View Post
Spoiler:
All of these people are saying they figured out the twist to Shutter Island. BULLSHIT is what I say. Sure anyone could have easily guessed Leo was insane, but you're telling me that all of these people had the foresight to know that it was all an elaborate set=up to get Leo's character sane? No, I don't think so. Guessing that Leo is insane is NOT figuring out the twist...there's much more to it then that.

Also, I never once thought during the preview that Leo holding the lady who turns into ash was giving away any big plot points. To me I either thought a)ghost, or b) he's dreaming.
^this
Old 02-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
Uh, the trailer didn't give anything away that the TITLE itself hadn't already revealed.
So then it would be ok if they showed the ending to
Spoiler:
Kill Bill, Finding Nemo, Forgetting Sarah Marshall...

Just don't show it in the previews. Very simple. What would be the worst thing that would happen if they decided not to show the ending in the trailer? Make a few hundred thousand less at the box office?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:49 PM
Quote:
They could always be dreams, mirages, flashbacks, etc.

That's what I thought with Drag Me to Hell.

Spoiler:
nope
Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviehound View Post
I think what I get more annoyed by is when trailers show scenes and sequences that do NOT show up in the movie. That really ticks me off especially when you are looking forward to that part.
I really get annoyed of those kind of trailers. I remember trailers for The Master of Disguise and Inspector Gadget that had some funny scenes that were cut. I hate that studio tactic.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy09 View Post
I really get annoyed of those kind of trailers. I remember trailers for The Master of Disguise and Inspector Gadget that had some funny scenes that were cut. I hate that studio tactic.
I will never forget my disappointment when watching Half Baked for the first time and they omit the scene of Brian trying to leapfrog the parking meter and ends up catching his nuts on it. Easily the funniest moment in the trailer and never made it into the movie.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creekin111 View Post
So then it would be ok if they showed the ending to
Spoiler:
Kill Bill, Finding Nemo, Forgetting Sarah Marshall...

Just don't show it in the previews. Very simple. What would be the worst thing that would happen if they decided not to show the ending in the trailer? Make a few hundred thousand less at the box office?
The entire movie was marketed on it's title. It's even the damn Poster Art, it's not like you walk into the movie thinking it's NOT going to happen.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM
Moon is a big-time example of giving vital information out.

Granted that what happens does so only around 20 minutes into the flick, but it still leaves a bigger impact if you watch it not knowing a damn thing.

When customers ask me what Moon is about, all I say is, "Sam Rockwell works on the moon, and...something happens."
Old 02-24-2010, 10:48 AM
PARANORMAL ACTIVITY is the worst ruin ever! They used the commercials and the "selected theaters only" so well but they ruined it! So many people were pissed when they eventually knew it was coming. They could have easily used the part where she gets dragged down the hall or something instead of camera throw.

QUARANTINE was terrible as well, just terrible.

I haven't seen SHUTTER ISLAND but I have been trying to avoid all the trailers and commercials so I can enjoy the movie more when I see it.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Flight of the Phoenix & Death Race (remakes) - after both these previews I was baffled as to why anyone would want to see the movie... they gave away everything.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Yeah, Flight of the Phoenix was a literal Cliff's Notes version of the movie.

Green Zone and Repo Men are a couple recent trailers that seem to show the entire movie.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:01 PM
I think a lot of this has to do with joblo schmoes being badass observant movie fans. I bet everybody on this thread can catch familiar scenes with underlying suggestions of climaxes or twists or storystuff in trailers others don't even notice. Can't even comprehend, come to that. With their puny nonmovie fan brains.

I once knew a movie fan who could recite every beat in an upcoming movie just by looking at the first production still. Although I'm not sure if I knew him or just made him up right now to illustrate myself convincingly. But my point remains. It happened.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam J. Hakari View Post
When customers ask me what Moon is about, all I say is, "Sam Rockwell works on the moon, and...something happens."
I've found that something like that is not enough for the average joe to be enticed. Often when someone asks me what happens in a movie, I give something similar to that so as not spoil anything and find that they don't want to see they movie unless they know what that "something" that happens is.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I don't really think the trailer for SHUTTER ISLAND gives away the ending at all. I think it just shows certain parts of the film to entice you to see the movie.

Spoiler:
The ending is not the fact that Leo is insane because that is just kinda a general thing you can guess will happen. The ending / twist is that Leo was a patient all along and the trailer does not give that away at all. The fact that his wife turns to ash in his arms does not make him insane, it could just have easily meant he was dreaming or remembering her.

I didn't really have too much of a problem with the SHUTTER ISLAND trailer
Old 03-04-2010, 04:24 PM
What I hate is that after a movie comes out,they release a bunch of new TV spots showing scenes that they kept hidden before - many that give away the ending, or at least key scenes (like revealing a character that you think is a good guy to actually being a bad guy, etc.)

And they usually do this after the first weekend! Hey, we don't all go on opening weekend, you jerks.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:30 AM
Spoiler:
Quarantine is the worst offender, even the DVD seemed content to ruin the ending. It was almost as bad as the cover to the first Planet of the Apes DVD release (thankfully, they remedied that on the Collector's Edition).
Old 03-07-2010, 12:31 AM
I have a huge problem with the Shutter Island trailer, and now, it's not just for the obvious "twist" give away, rather the slamming over the head of TWIST!

"The most shocking twist ending in years!" "Shocking twist that'll leave you speachless!" "The most twisted shocking twist, that'll twist your shocking mind, into a twisted mess of shock!"

Trailer companies need to die a slow, painful, twist of a death.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Slightly concerned about this with the new Iron Man 2 trailer. The corresponding trailer for the original film two years ago showed a lot of the film, and I'm now worried that...

Spoiler:
the Iron Man/War Machine is more or less the end of the film rather than the beginning of the third act or something

It looks hella entertaining anyway, but that trailer covered a lot of ground- Whiplash's motivation, Justin Hammer recruiting him. Eesh.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:43 PM
nowadays so many trailers just toss in clips from the VERY end of the film and pretend like because we don't know the whole entire story yet it won't make any sense to us, but its just not that hard to figure out.

too many times trailers give away twists that would be so much better served in the theater.

lately, Green Zone is one i have a problem with. Can you really not guess about the whole Magellan ordeal? They basically give it away.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:39 AM
As another recent example, the trailer for Armored basically gives away the whole movie
Old 03-17-2010, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSimen View Post
I've found that something like that is not enough for the average joe to be enticed. Often when someone asks me what happens in a movie, I give something similar to that so as not spoil anything and find that they don't want to see they movie unless they know what that "something" that happens is.
It's worked about 90% of the time at my store. Our Blu-Ray copy is almost never in.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM22 View Post
Two recent examples I can think of...

The HANCOCK trailer not only showed every single funny part of the film, but it also gave away a key twist; granted, it was only on a couple of quick shots, but you didn't need to be a genius to know what was coming.

Spoiler:
That quick shot of a mean-looking Charlize Theron dressed in black with debris all around her pretty much gave away that she was superpowered as well.

There was a two-minute plus trailer for LEGION shown months ago that pissed me off because it gave away the entire movie, including all the deaths. Whoever made that shitty promo deserved to be shot.

Thankfully, I have avoided pretty much everything having to do with SHUTTER ISLAND, so I won't know anything about it going in.
I remember the first time I saw that trailer for Hancock I turned to my friend and said, well there we go we now know her role
Old 05-17-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm not into girly novels so I didn't read The Lovely Bones but I did appreciate the movie for its stunning visuals (and I'm not a Peter Jackson fan by any means!)...but the damn trailer pretty much featured most of the most suspenseful scene in the movie (between the film's killer & the victim's sister). When I finally caught it on DVD this past weekend all I could think of was: I already saw this in the fucking trailer! Same thing with SHERLOCK HOLMES!