Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 PM
The original founding fathers of our country would rank as some of the best Presidents. These men shaped our country. Washington, Adams, Jefferson had a lot of the hardest tasks to get this country off on the right foot.

Abe Lincoln would also be another favorite because during his Presidency there could have been a change in America that would have effected the way Americans lived for many years.

Also Theodore Roosevelt during times of industry boom took control of America and led this country into a new century.

Franklin Roosevelt literally brought this country out of a depression.

As for those who were bad I really can't single out anyone. To become President who have to be a very intelligent person. Although many circumstances during certain Presidents stays in office made it look like they did a poor job to me it is just the cards they were dealt.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
I readed Yahoo Anwsers lot and lot of people over there think Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama were the worst.

Last edited by John@$$; 06-02-2010 at 05:40 AM..
Old 06-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I dont trust Yahoo Answers..those ppl are dumb as shit lol...It's wayyyyyy too soon to see if Barack is the worse or not..Personally the 2nd Bush is by far the worse of the bunch followed by Carter..I dont remember McKinley doin much either..My personal favorite presidents are the following

1)Richard Nixon
2)Abe Lincoln
3)Franklyn Roosevelt
4)Thomas Jefferson
5)George Washington
6)JFK
Old 06-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Wow someone puted Nixon as their favorite. I do think he gets way too much hate but he did some big mistakes that cost him in history. He was great for China which lot of people don't know. I was reading a list once of most influence world people no from China and Nixon was on there.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Oh yea. Nixon did a lot for this country that a lot of people dont understand. His foreign policy was the best at his time plus he "almost" put a end to the Vietnam War by doing the carpet bombings..but people only seem to remember the Watergate Scandal
Old 06-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BankaiZaraki View Post
Oh yea. Nixon did a lot for this country that a lot of people dont understand. His foreign policy was the best at his time plus he "almost" put a end to the Vietnam War by doing the carpet bombings..but people only seem to remember the Watergate Scandal
At least you mentioned his good stuff instead of the bad stuff he known for.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:18 AM
I wonder about this one but what president is like by all parties? I don't think there any besides George Washington. Maybe Lincoln as well. Don't know about Teddy being like by all parties and Republicans hate Franklin D. And George W Bush and Barack Obama are hated by lot of people outside there parties.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:29 PM
@ potter 82 an QUENTIN
IMG]http://homerize.com/_framegrabs/9F13/fg_166.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Can't help but add -this looks like a cartoon Elton John to me.(Simpson's style)

Last edited by Dr.Frankenstein; 06-05-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Frankenstein View Post
@ potter 82 an QUENTIN
IMG]http://homerize.com/_framegrabs/9F13/fg_166.jpg[/IMG]
Can't help but add -this looks like a cartoon Elton John to me.(Simpson's style)[/QUOTE]

What is that? Anyway did anyone ever hear about presidents and going to bohemian grove?
Old 06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Also got a question for all of you: Is Obama the worst president ever? It seems like lot of people on City Data are saying he the worst.
Old 06-13-2010, 05:04 AM
I'd say his about in the middle. I mean, at least he's trying. I definitely think that Bush Jr. was MUCH worse.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
I'd say his about in the middle. I mean, at least he's trying. I definitely think that Bush Jr. was MUCH worse.

Agree. Also I think Butchman, Andrew Johnson, Grant, Hoover, Pierce, Regan(don't kill me for this), and Bush Jr are worse than him.

Last edited by John@$$; 10-01-2010 at 06:24 PM..
Old 06-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Any people on here that you think would be good presidents? I think Kingsofkings2525 would be a great president.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John@$$ View Post
Any people on here that you think would be good presidents? I think Kingsofkings2525 would be a great president.
The Heart Collector.

Hell, at least he's consistent and outspoken with his opinions.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Quote:
Smiert Spionam should have been the first black president.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Oh and I also think Badbird would be great as well.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Me, of course.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh I forgot Harding was a horrible president as well. Should be on the list without a question.
Old 07-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Today July 4th and us Yankees have to thank the great founding fathers. Also a fact, it got sign on July 2nd, not July 4th.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:55 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...62701277bf.jpg
Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Quote:

Reagan is easily the most overrated president probably ever. The pass that even most Dems give him has always confused the hell out of me.

Clinton>Nixon>LBJ>Carter>Ford>Bush I>Reagan>Bush II

Too soon to rate Obama.

As for my overall best(or least bad) President of all time: FDR

Last edited by screamer581; 08-15-2010 at 10:58 AM..
Old 08-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamer581 View Post
Reagan is easily the most overrated president probably ever. The pass that even most Dems give him has always confused the hell out of me.
I always wonder this. Reagan is love by tons of people I like to ask them questions. Like about Iron-Contra scandal, his national debt, racism(The Boondocks will explain why), and lot of the bad stuff he did.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:12 AM
Reagan's good standing with the public had more to do with rhetoric than policy. Many of his speeches emphasized optimism, and many voters liked what they heard; an essential part of his public image was telling the voters what they wanted to hear as opposed to what they didn't want to hear, which explains a great deal why he defeated Jimmy Carter in 1980, as voters were turned off by Carter's stern realism and emphasis on making sacrifices.

Last edited by Cenopath; 08-16-2010 at 04:15 AM..
Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post
Reagan's good standing with the public had more to do with rhetoric than policy. Many of his speeches emphasized optimism, and many voters liked what they heard; an essential part of his public image was telling the voters what they wanted to hear as opposed to what they didn't want to hear, which explains a great deal why he defeated Jimmy Carter in 1980, as voters were turned off by Carter's stern realism and emphasis on making sacrifices.
Well said.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Part of what a modern President is supposed to do is manage to keep the country focused and positive. For those reasons alone I cant claim that Reagan was a bad president, even though I did not agree with a number of his policies.

Clinton is underrated because right now he is the right wing nutjobs worst fear....a democrat who had the strength of will to use the power of the office to effect change. I like Obama personally, but he is way too soft and desperate for bipartisan efforts that everything he does becomes bogged down in politics. The man had the biggest mandate in 30 years to work with and a clear majority in the house and senate yet he could not get the simplest legislation passed because he felt the need to cowtow to the minority party.

If you believe in what you are doing...just ram it through. If it works, then the minority party has to explain why they were against it. If it fails, well then you should not be president and need to move on.

So now we are coming up to the mid term elections and there is a chance that Obama loses his mandate. He has no one to blame but himself, since he wasted the last two years.

That all said, the worst president of my lifetime is easily George Bush 2. Never has any one man wasted so much on more idiotic policies and ideas. Quite honestly there was nothing good that came from his administration, and I am still shaking my head that the Democrats could not find a guy to beat him in 2004.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukkake View Post

That explain why he won in 1980. When he's going up against Jimmy Carter, you know he will win the presidential election.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotreme View Post
The Heart Collector.

Hell, at least he's consistent and outspoken with his opinions.
I think he's from somewhere else, which can't make him the USA president.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Quote:
That explain why he won in 1980. When he's going up against Jimmy Carter, you know he will win the presidential election.
I like Jimmy. No, he had no business being President (although I definitely would have voted for him in 1980...if I had been alive of course, and of voting age), but he definitely seems like a genuinely nice guy. I'll actually be a little sad when he passes.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Quote:
I think he's from somewhere else, which can't make him the USA president.
Yeah, that's really the only thing holding him back right now.

I think Abe, while not the saint he's made out to be, did the most important good things, but I also don't think any President has -- or could -- escape that office without having made decisions that valued things over people, or certain people over other people. So how great can these men really be?

Also, while I'm no Bush defender, he shares at least equal blame with Clinton for bin Laden et al's current freedom/unknown status.

All the schmoes I respect are too smart to want to president.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Clinton didn't do well on Bin Laden trying to attack the US either.

So you are saying schmoes or anyone are to smart to be president AceD? Noy having any problem with the comment just saying.
Old 08-16-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
So you are saying schmoes or anyone are to smart to be president AceD? Not having any problem with the comment just saying.
I just meant that based on the extremely small picture we get of people a forum like this, the people who I feel have the abilities to lead and a mindset I would support -- Q, Servo and Monotreme come to mind right off the bat -- aren't the type of people who would want to run for president. They're the type of people who know that if you can't make a difference from where you're at, you couldn't make a difference even if you were president.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Yeah that a good way of saying that. President doesn't control the entire government.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Any thoughts on John Adams and his son?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceD View Post
They're the type of people who know that if you can't make a difference from where you're at, you couldn't make a difference even if you were president.
I'd argue the problem is systemic but simple and perfectly captured by Buck Turgidson just today: In order to get anywhere that gives you the power to do serious positive reforming, you have to give up most everything that made you want to do that in the first place.

Last edited by QUENTIN; 08-17-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM
The vice president also does lots of help for the president. Ask Dick or George W about the Iraq War and who idea was to go there. George would say that it was Dick idea that the military should go and fight Iraq.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Any thoughts on John Adams and his son?

Both guys had flawed presidencies.

Adams 1 was a poor politician. He kept most of the cabinet from the Washington administration, but most of those guys, especially Hamilton, were not willing to listen to Adams, and frankly did not respect him as President. Adams was highly combative and feuded with a lot of people in his lifetime. Feuding Presidents seldom are treated well historically. Finally the major foreign policy issues were the XYZ affair and Quasi War, plus the Alien and Sedition Acts that Adams signed. None of these issues added one bit to Adams reputation as a President. Adams is the only founding father President who only got one term, and its due entirely to how bad a politician he was. He had a brilliant mind, and outside of that presidency he is one of the five or so most important people in this nations history, in terms of the positive impact he had on its formation.

Quincy Adams had an even worse time of things. He was a true lame duck president, as his election was so disputed over a much more popular Andrew Jackson. He spent most of his presidency waiting for the axe to fall and Jackson to be swept into office. Like his dad he was a terrible politician, and like his dad he was a one term President who did far more effective work when he was out of office.

Neither guy was a BAD President....but neither one was a particularly good one either.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
They did have their flaws. John was a great founding father however.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:
They did have their flaws. John was a great founding father however.

Both men were great GREAT Americans, and famous for their integrity, honesty and intelligence.

John Quincy is featured heavily in the Spielberg movie Amistad. If you have not seen it, its a well done movie with a couple of flaws. (Spielberg is a bit too much schmaltzy , plus it has Matthew McConaughey trying to act and he is on the same screen as Morgan Freeman and Anthony Hopkins...an epic talent disparity that had not been equaled since Laurence Olivier co-starred with Neil Diamond in The Jazz Singer)

Anyway, both Adams men were good human beings who made mediocre presidents. Much like Jimmy Carter except they did a lot more before and after the presidency.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
True. Jimmy Carter is a great explan who not a good president but he was a good human being. I don't think he's evil like Republicans think he is. Like others say, he was not meant to be the commander in chief in office but he did some good things. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...x057EdAS42Am3A http://www.fark.com/cgi/go.pl?i=5552508

This is what I mean when people say Carter was the worst American ever. Like screamer581 I will also feel bad when he passes away. A great ex president.

Last edited by John@$$; 08-17-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 01:01 AM
I was looking at a list of Presidents the other day, and it surprised me how, on average, through the 1800's, most Presidents only served one term, but in the 1900's most Presidents served two terms. Could the invention and spread of modern media have anything to do with that? I just found it kinda interesting.

I don't really have a favorite President. I know that Jimmy Carter isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be, and that Ronald Reagan isn't as good as he's made out to be. I do know that Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2 are responsible for 90% of our national debt, while Bill Clinton ran a surplus.

Barack Obama has this theme song, so I'm pretty cool with that.